Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comments on: Forum Suggestions

Old February 2nd, 2006, 4:45 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Comments on: Forum Suggestions

Wow, thank you so much, that's awesome! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's pleased, even if it isn't the most important thing...

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2006, 9:31 pm
Seventh Year

1) I would like to propose that The Daily Prophet is made into a webmaster resource section for both new and old webmasters alike, with people on hand to answer questions about running websites, advertising websites, making layouts, coding layouts, designing graphics, webhosts and of course somewhere for people to advertise thier websites/forums! And I would be more than willing to help with this in anyway possible.

I am making this proposal because the amount of people asking for advice on websites and the above mentioned is increasing in Daily Prophet threads but also in Owls to me personally!

Well there you go, another idea to chew over!

EDIT - 2) I think Daily Prophet should have some "monitors" like the RP did to allow the moderators and staff to deal with other areas of the forum instead of duplicate threads etc in DP.

Tiiiiiime tooo, saaay gooooooodbyeee!

Last edited by rich_505; February 2nd, 2006 at 9:36 pm.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 1:12 am
Fourth Year

I have a suggestion : When you view someone's profile make an Art section that has the links to your Art just like the Stories.

Sirius died for a reason

The wisest men follow their own direction. - Euripides

Share your favorite quote: Favorite Quote
Muggle Pants Potter Puppets Song

Help Links
Search Engine | CoS Rules | Hogsmeade Review Guidelines | CoS Forums Staff | Signature Content Policy | Search Engine Tutorial

Last edited by SiriusSpells; February 3rd, 2006 at 6:20 pm.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 5:27 am
Unloved by all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_505
1) I would like to propose that The Daily Prophet is made into a webmaster resource section for both new and old webmasters alike, with people on hand to answer questions about running websites, advertising websites, making layouts, coding layouts, designing graphics, webhosts and of course somewhere for people to advertise thier websites/forums! And I would be more than willing to help with this in anyway possible.

I am making this proposal because the amount of people asking for advice on websites and the above mentioned is increasing in Daily Prophet threads but also in Owls to me personally!

Well there you go, another idea to chew over!

EDIT - 2) I think Daily Prophet should have some "monitors" like the RP did to allow the moderators and staff to deal with other areas of the forum instead of duplicate threads etc in DP.
1) No.

2) Absolutley No.

Know Lani... Love Lani... ^_^
Old February 3rd, 2006, 6:12 am
Sixth Year

Um I have a suggestion…
It could be that I just confused with the new search function (and if so, please just ignore me), but it seems to me that you have to click on Boolean if you want to use an * in your search. My thought was that if that is the case then maybe it should be added to the Search Tutorial since it discusses the use of the * and I didn’t see mention of the need to change the setting from Natural Language to Boolean in order to use it. I understand if you think it is too complicated or unnecessary or whatever else, I just thought I would suggest it.

What happens to a plimpy that comes to the Breakfast Club?
Search Tutorial ~ Search Engine ~ Forum Rules ~ Ask the Staff
Old February 3rd, 2006, 7:39 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanifiel
1) No.

2) Absolutley No.
Thanks Lani, out of interest may I ask why idea 1) was rejected, I can see the reasons for 2) being rejected?

Last edited by rich_505; February 3rd, 2006 at 8:01 am.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 9:56 am
Unloved by all...

The Daily Prophet is for advertising personal websites and other forums. We're pretty slack in what goes in there, but that doesnt mean we want to change the focus of the area to anything other than advertisment. Its that simple. Additionally in the near future we'll be instigating new rules for that area which would be counter-productive to your suggestion. And no I wont go into what these changes might entail...

Know Lani... Love Lani... ^_^
Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:39 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanifiel
The Daily Prophet is for advertising personal websites and other forums. We're pretty slack in what goes in there, but that doesnt mean we want to change the focus of the area to anything other than advertisment. Its that simple. Additionally in the near future we'll be instigating new rules for that area which would be counter-productive to your suggestion. And no I wont go into what these changes might entail...
Ahhh excellent, I can't wait

Old February 6th, 2006, 5:06 pm
Seventh Year

Would it be possible to add the ban on shipping threads into the forum rules because I didn't know about the ban for several months after joining and it would probobly reduce the number of people starting them.

Old February 11th, 2006, 7:24 am
Sixth Year

Do yo think it's possible to open a forum on countries and cultures? It's just that this is a great forum with a diversity of members from many countries practising many different cultures, and it would be a shame if we can't truly exploit this opportunity to get to know each other better. The HP Fandom is a global community after all. I know that there are threads opened about travelling, cultures, languages and knowing-others'-countries, like IamMoose's English Breakfast and What to see in the US threads in the Leaky Cauldron and the What do you think of [insert name of country here]? threads in the DoIMC. I just thought it would be nice to compile them all in one forum. Then anyone interested in the subject can open more threads without feeling awkward or not knowing where to put them (case in point in Guad's "Travelling Tips" thread which was opened in the DoIMC, but got moved to the Leaky Cauldron). Just a suggestion

"I'm so pacifistic..."

Old February 12th, 2006, 1:58 am
Secret Keeper

Would it possible to modify the Signature Content Policy?

What I mean is, we are currently allowed no more than 4 smilies in our signatures, but no where in the Signature Content Policy does it limit "smilies" to those from CoS forums only. {Not that I've found anyway.}

Off-site smilies/emoticons count as a signature image. I've known forum members who've in the past had their signatures removed and/or received warning points for having a 300 X 300 image and an off-site smilie in their signatures---with the reason given that they had more than one image in their signature and a reminder for them to read the Signature policy.

It's just that the policy is a bit vague in that area. Just an idea.

Quote:
9. Signatures are permitted on CoS, but there is a need to limit the type of signature you can have. This is to help reduce the load time of a thread for members on slower dial up connections. You may edit your signature in your profile and include one (1) small imaged of up to 300x300 pixels and up to 7 lines of 8-12 point (size1-3) text. We will not allow html codes in signatures. No audio, javascripts, or other "tricks" allowed. A Professor or Administrator has the right to remove anything at anytime. Please also remember to close all bbcode tags. Last, please do not use excessive smilies. Smilies are a nice feature, but too many at one time can be very off putting. We are limiting smilies to 4 per signature. NOTE: We operate the signature rules on a standard 1024x768 resolution.

Old February 12th, 2006, 9:46 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evita82
I have a suggestion that is completely random and probably induced by my cold medicine, anyway. I've noticed that lots of new members will start up threads in the Great Hall area introducing themselves. The description for someone who is just coming in and really doesnt know the flow of things around here could very well take is that they are suppose to (or able to) introduce themselves there in a new thread. Perhaps a different description of that forum would lessen the amount of threads like that. Again, this is probably the cold medicine talking, just thought I'd throw it out there.
I can definitely see where that would mislead people. At one of the forums I've joined in the past, their off topic area had a link to the introduction thread in the board description, so it would go something like this:
The best place to meet and greet new students and discover more about them. New students may introduce themselves in the introduction thread. Post count is off.

Old February 16th, 2006, 9:45 pm
Seventh Year

Just one suggestion; I think we should have a daily poll. We've all seen tham, on Mugglenet, HPANA and etc. Something along those lines. I always found those to be neat, and they can't be to hard to put up, but I don't really know. Anyway, I think alot of people would enjoy it, so think about it and get back to me, thanks.

Old February 16th, 2006, 9:58 pm
Mouse

The problem with polls is that they use a LOT of bandwidth. So we tend to discourage them for the most part

Old February 17th, 2006, 12:28 am
Original Prankster

Was the suggestion for this forum to have a section for different houses (hufflepuff...you know the rest) shot down a while ago? Or is it still in consideration? Just wondering...

Old February 17th, 2006, 1:55 am
Zonko's Employee

CoS is unlikely to place people in different houses as it could lead to friction between members. You're welcome to do those sorting quizzes elsewhere on the net, but CoS won't be using them in the foreseeable future.

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Old February 17th, 2006, 1:59 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica
The problem with polls is that they use a LOT of bandwidth. So we tend to discourage them for the most part
I don't mean the types of polls we already have, like in the thread form, I mean like they have it on Mugglenet. Anywho, if it's to much of a problem, don't even think on it

Old February 19th, 2006, 5:37 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit
Would it possible to modify the Signature Content Policy?

What I mean is, we are currently allowed no more than 4 smilies in our signatures, but no where in the Signature Content Policy does it limit "smilies" to those from CoS forums only. {Not that I've found anyway.}

Off-site smilies/emoticons count as a signature image. I've known forum members who've in the past had their signatures removed and/or received warning points for having a 300 X 300 image and an off-site smilie in their signatures---with the reason given that they had more than one image in their signature and a reminder for them to read the Signature policy.

It's just that the policy is a bit vague in that area. Just an idea.
Good idea...

Anyways...

Would it be possible for this site to have a journal system? I thought about this site having such a thing after starting my own journal on this site here. It doesn't seem to be too different from this place so I figured I'd throw the idea out there. (However, this site has more members so I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't possible. )

It's really quite fun as you can comment on one another's entries if the person who owns the journal allows it. You can make it private, allow selected members to see it, or let anybody who wants to read it do so.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old February 19th, 2006, 6:31 am
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDaysAhead
Good idea...

Anyways...

Would it be possible for this site to have a journal system? I thought about this site having such a thing after starting my own journal on this site here. It doesn't seem to be too different from this place so I figured I'd throw the idea out there. (However, this site has more members so I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't possible. )

It's really quite fun as you can comment on one another's entries if the person who owns the journal allows it. You can make it private, allow selected members to see it, or let anybody who wants to read it do so.

We used to have a journal system in Hogsmeade but it was abused by members and caused problems and was eventually discontinued. So we won't be having a journal system again

Ronald Weasley is Harry's best friend, best known to his peers as living proof that God doesn't exist.

Hermione Granger is Harry's other friend. She possesses the "plot device", a mystical artifact famed for its ability to counter the feared Wryter's Block.

Ginny Weasley The girl Harry loves. Without her, Harry would have been just as emo in the sixth book as he was in the fifth book.

Source: Uncyclopedia
Old February 19th, 2006, 6:58 am
Zonko's Employee

Can I ask that the "Does God Exist thread" be reincarnated, but perhaps as an AD-17 thread due to the nature of the discussion? It did go through 9 versions, and was (for the most part, I think) a good thread. I'd hate to see it lost after so long.

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services