Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Re-cast the movies!

Old July 8th, 2012, 11:18 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Re-cast the movies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
I can't see anyone but Alan Rickman as Snape, because, though other actors, like Adrien Brody, can look Snape as well as him, they don't have his voice.
I thought Alan's voice was too deep for Snape, actually. I imagine him with a solid tenor voice, capable of ultrasonic frequencies when Harry starts really pushing his buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickquill View Post
I have no complaints about the casting. Nor do I think it is a productive discussion to suggest actors for a recasting of the series so soon after it has finally been finished.
Clearly we're not interested in productivity in this thread we're interested in indulging our HP movie fantasies.

What about a dark-haired Dan Stevens for James? He's got a very sweet, open handsomeness about him, not the haughty, beautiful handsome Sirius is supposed to have. I think he'd be a good candidate.

Old July 11th, 2012, 10:20 am
Seventh Year

I'm approaching this less as, "What if another series of films were made now?" than as, "What if the 2001-2011 series hadn't been made, and they were adapting these books now?" An alternate reality rather than a remake. I'm still avoiding any actors who were in the 2001-2011 film series, though. It has nothing to do with being disappointed in cast members from the actual series; on the contrary, I think the casting was the greatest strength of it. I'm also sticking to Brits, just because I want to, with a few notable exceptions.

Tom Baker as Dumbledore
(Glad to see some like-minded Doctor Who fans who’ve already mentioned this one. I’m sure people were suggesting this one back in ’01, but yeah, I’ve wondered about Baker as Dumbledore for years.)

Penelope Wilton as McGonagall

Robert Carlyle as Snape
(I admit to ripping this one off, because I could not think of anyone other than Alan Rickman as Snape until I read the suggestion of Carlyle. He’s not better than Rickman, but I like the choice.)

John Rhys-Davies as Hagrid
(The man's crazy tall anyway, so they wouldn't have to do all that much, effects-wise.)

Martin Freeman as Quirrell

Hugh Grant as Lockhart
(He was almost cast, and although Branagh’s brilliant, Grant’s also a fine choice.)

David Morrissey as Lupin

Geoffrey Rush as Mad-Eye
(One of the first bits of fantasy casting I ever did, before the Goblet of Fire movie even went into production.)

Judi Dench as Umbridge
(I remember picturing this one a lot while reading the book, even though I wouldn’t exactly describe her as “toadlike.” )

Brian Blessed as Slughorn
(I was rooting for this one, before Jim Broadbent was cast for HBP.)

Tracey Ullman as Trelawney

Ian McShane as Filch

Christian Bale as Voldemort
(I thought about Bale for several roles – including Sirius and Lucius – but this is the one that intrigues me the most.)

Nick Frost as Wormtail
(I really wanted to keep Sirius, Snape, Lupin, and Wormtail in the same age range, and Depp, Carlyle, and Morrissey are all around 50 now, but I struggled with casting Wormtail. I certainly can’t think of anyone better than Timothy Spall, but this isn’t about better as much as different and more current, and I kept coming back to, “Well, Nick Frost would be interesting.”)

Julie Delpy as Bellatrix

Michael Sheen as Lucius Malfoy

Naomi Watts as Narcissa Malfoy
(I was rooting for this one before Helen McCrory was cast for HBP.)

Tim Roth as Fenrir Greyback
(I was rooting for this one before Dave Legeno was cast for HBP – and before I realized Greyback wouldn’t be an actual character in that movie.)

Jonny Lee Miller as Yaxley

Johnny Depp as Sirius
(I thought about whether it's too obvious a choice, but if it's too obvious a choice, I think that's because it's a great choice.)

Karen Gillan as Tonks
(Doctor Who fans know her as Amy Pond.)

Albert Finney as Vernon Dursley
(This is more motivated by wanting Finney involved somewhere, because Vernon’s not a role with much depth, but Albert Finney as Vernon fits.)

Joanna Lumley as Petunia Dursley

Lesley Manville as Molly Weasley

Rowan Atkinson as Arthur Weasley

Ian McKellen as Ollivander

Michael Caine as Barty Crouch
(As with Albert Finney as Vernon, this one is more about getting this actor involved somewhere – but I still like it.)

Steve Coogan as Barty Crouch Jr.
(I don’t know why. Maybe I irrevocably connect Caine and Coogan now after The Trip [and if you haven’t seen the scene where he and Rob Brydon do dueling Michael Caine impressions, you must find it], but there’s something about this one.)

Catherine Tate as Rita Skeeter
(Doctor Who fans will know her as Donna Noble - and she's also a great comic actress.)

Timothy Dalton as Scrimgeour
(I still insist that Dalton would have been better. I was disappointed with Bill Nighy, which still feels strange, because I like Bill Nighy.)

Simon Pegg as Xenophilius Lovegood

Stephen Fry as Aberforth
(I wanted someone who could just as well play Dumbledore, and who’d probably have a sort of similar rhythm to the person playing Dumbledore. There’s also the curiosity factor here, though, of what would Stephen Fry be like as this much darker, bitter figure in the Dumbledore clan?)

The ones I feel the strongest about are Tom Baker, Johnny Depp, Naomi Watts, Tim Roth, and Timothy Dalton, and the hardest one to cast was Bellatrix. Bellatrix, Snape, Hagrid, McGonagall, and Voldemort were the parts for which I struggled the most with selecting alternatives. Those are also the characters where I always, always picture the actors from the movies in my mind’s eye when rereading the books.

I wondered about the older actors - like, if I'm fantasy-casting a movie with 2012 in mind, should I really go for actors as old as Tom Baker, Judi Dench, Ian McKellen, and Stephen Fry, for a series as long as this? But it's fantasy-casting, so in a fantasy scenario, why not assume they'd live long enough to play these roles in their entirety?

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; July 11th, 2012 at 1:21 pm.
Old July 11th, 2012, 1:09 pm
Second Year

Excellent post, I'll pick up on your last point in particular:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
I wondered about the older actors - like, if I'm fantasy-casting a movie with 2012 in mind, should I really go for actors as old as Tom Baker, Judi Dench, Ian McKellen, and Stephen Fry, for a series as long as this? But it's fantasy-casting, so in a fantasy scenario, why not assume they'd live long enough to play these roles in their entirety?
This was partly my thinking when I consider using slightly older actors for the trio and making them back-to-back over a period of five years, rather than spread over ten years.

You're the weak one. And you'll never know love, or friendship. And I feel sorry for you.

I'm LightChaser4263 on Pottermore.
Feel free to add me as a friend, but please owl me first on CoS. Thanks!
Proud member of Gryffindor House in the Chamber of Secrets and on Pottermore.
Old July 11th, 2012, 5:26 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Tracey Ullman as Trelawney
I can't imagine that at all... and yet somehow it just might work.

Old July 13th, 2012, 8:10 am
First Year

The more I think about it, the more I wish with all my might Tom Baker as Dumbledore had happened. Such an eccentric man capable of turning on a dime and being dark and imposing...it would've been beautiful.

To throw a bone to some Game of Thrones actors, Peter Dinklage for Flitwick and/or Griphook. And Jack Gleeson IS Draco.

Me and one of my best friends post-DH2.
Old July 13th, 2012, 7:53 pm
Student

Quote:
Hugh Grant as Lockhart
(He was almost cast, and although Branagh’s brilliant, Grant’s also a fine choice.)
Ha, I didn't think of that before but now that you mention it (not seen it mentioned before), I can totally see that lol.

Old July 15th, 2012, 2:31 am
Second Year

Quote:
Johnny Depp as Sirius
(I thought about whether it's too obvious a choice, but if it's too obvious a choice, I think that's because it's a great choice.)
I have always thought that if there was to be an American version with American actors, he would be perfect for this part. There is something almost Byron-esque about both Sirius and Johnny Depp.

I would also like to put in a punt - as this is fantasy and we can therefore ignore the fact that he has now given up acting - for Peter O'Toole as Dumbledore.

I always thought Ian McNeice would make a good Slughorn, too.

Old July 15th, 2012, 3:49 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divvie View Post
Ha, I didn't think of that before but now that you mention it (not seen it mentioned before), I can totally see that lol.
IMO he's much more crushworthy than KB!

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old July 15th, 2012, 4:33 am
The Potions Master

Ivanna Lynch would make a great Trelawney now.

Another candidate for Snape: Laurence Fox--and his voice comes pretty close!

Rupert Penry-Jones might make a good Sirius.

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Old July 15th, 2012, 2:56 pm
Second Year

What about Milla Jovovich as Bellatrix??

I thought of this after remembering her in zoolander She even wore a very Bellatrix-y outfit in that movie (little snake wrapped around the arm!)

Severus Snape ~ The Boy Who Loved
Old July 16th, 2012, 6:00 pm
Second Year

Stephen Fry as Cornelius Fudge, perhaps? I just can't see him as Dumbledore. Maybe Aberforth.

Matt Smith (Doctor Who) as Sirius would be brilliant! Gosh, I'd get such a thrill out of that.

Asa Butterfield as Harry. (Asa played the little boy in Hugo.)

--
"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."
Old July 16th, 2012, 6:14 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Snape View Post
What about Milla Jovovich as Bellatrix?
Too young maybe? Though I'm sure they could make her look older. Speaking of models/actresses how about Eva Green for Bellatrix? Also too young but might work. She has the looks and she can act. Catherine Zeta Jones would have been good too but it's not the sort of role she usually plays.

Old July 16th, 2012, 7:02 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Just saw a photo of Anjelica Houston as Morticia Addams - now that is what I always thought Bellatrix looked like!

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old July 17th, 2012, 3:38 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScribbler View Post
Stephen Fry as Cornelius Fudge, perhaps? I just can't see him as Dumbledore. Maybe Aberforth.

Matt Smith (Doctor Who) as Sirius would be brilliant! Gosh, I'd get such a thrill out of that.

I cannot see Matt as Sirius. Not that I wouldn't love it, but I picture Sirius to be more..ahem..sexy. (Well as sexy as someone can be for being in Azkaban for 12 years, but you know) I bet Matt could pull it off though.

I agree with Asa. He could be a young Tom too. (As I suggested a page or so back)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
Just saw a photo of Anjelica Houston as Morticia Addams - now that is what I always thought Bellatrix looked like!
Spoiler: show
Yes! I agree with the look, but wonder if Anjelica would be able to pull off Bellatrix.

Old July 17th, 2012, 4:50 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuStark View Post
Yes! I agree with the look, but wonder if Anjelica would be able to pull off Bellatrix.
She was most recently in the TV musical series Smash. She could definitely be Bellatrix, she just wouldn't be Helena's crazy Bella.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old July 17th, 2012, 4:09 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScribbler View Post
Yes! I can see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikyStark View Post
I cannot see Matt as Sirius. Not that I wouldn't love it, but I picture Sirius to be more..ahem..sexy.
I agree. Matt Smith's features are a little too wholesome and...er...blunt. I imagine Sirius as having far sharper features. Features like those of...Ben Barnes.

Can't you just imagine this as Sirius sitting under the tree in SWM?

Picture by LaurelSKY from http://laurelsky.deviantart.com/art/...tter-170927604

"Its hooves made no mark on the soft ground as it stared at Harry with its large, silver eyes. Slowly, it bowed its antlered head. And Harry realized..."Prongs..."
- Hermione's Secret, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Last edited by StarryVeil; July 17th, 2012 at 4:19 pm.
Old July 17th, 2012, 5:50 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryVeil View Post
Yes! I can see that.

I agree. Matt Smith's features are a little too wholesome and...er...blunt. I imagine Sirius as having far sharper features. Features like those of...Ben Barnes.

Can't you just imagine this as Sirius sitting under the tree in SWM?
Barnes has been really popular as a young Sirius. Especially on Youtube. I do agree with this fan casting. he just has that..look?

How about James McAvoy as James? Or Remus? Or even Sirius? This is what happens when I brings one of my favorite actors into this...I picture him as everyone. I can see him being that fun teacher that everyone loves that also has a dark secret. I can also see him playing a crazy escaped prisoner from Azkaban, but ends up not being so crazy after all...I can also picture him as Snape, but I'm not going to go into that..

His hair is a bit too dark for Remus though..

Old July 17th, 2012, 6:04 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuStark View Post
How about James McAvoy as James? Or Remus? Or even Sirius? This is what happens when I brings one of my favorite actors into this...I picture him as everyone. I can see him being that fun teacher that everyone loves that also has a dark secret. I can also see him playing a crazy escaped prisoner from Azkaban, but ends up not being so crazy after all...I can also picture him as Snape, but I'm not going to go into that..

I love the idea of James McAvoy but I have the same problem you have - who would he play?

You know? He might make a good Barty Crouch Jr. He has a sweet look about him, one that could get you to trust him, but then he could also play that villainous guy working in the shadows.

I'm really sad right now - I found a great suggestion for a James just the other day but now I can't remember who it was.

Old July 18th, 2012, 5:27 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
I love the idea of James McAvoy but I have the same problem you have - who would he play?

You know? He might make a good Barty Crouch Jr. He has a sweet look about him, one that could get you to trust him, but then he could also play that villainous guy working in the shadows.

I'm really sad right now - I found a great suggestion for a James just the other day but now I can't remember who it was.
Oh I can see him as Crouch Jr. now too. Although I personally think David was perfect as Crouch Jr., he'll stick in my fantasy cast. For playing a baddie of sorts I think he could be a good Quirrel even. Or even Lucius as well, if we planted a wig on him of course. Maybe I should just keep McAvoy out of my mind, I'll just cast him as everyone at this rate.

I'm sure you'll remember.

Old July 19th, 2012, 10:09 am
Second Year

I didn't think I could find a new Hermione until I saw The Golden Compass and The Secret of Moonacre and Dakota Blue Richards was very good in both.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies