Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What mistakes in the films can you just not overlook?

Old November 19th, 2006, 10:55 pm
Third Year

Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

The Goblet of Fire drove me insane...

My mom who has only seen the movies accompanied me and after we were done she asked a million and five questions...

but some of the major things...

Mad Eye Moody/Barty Crouch Jr - 1st off the way he looked. What was that leather strap thing and why did his eye zoom in? He had a metal boot...instead of a wooden claw. The part where he blasted the ceiling? The unforgivable curses...Moody was suppose to be like you think its funny!?!? well it's NOT! And he just laughed maniacally the entire time he was tourchering the spider! He was suppose to be Harry's frined...his confidant. He was neither...at the end...they DIDNT EVEN EXPLAIN WHY HE DID IT! They didnt do any of that!

Dumbledore - He was angry!!!! He shook Harry...he is suppose to be a quiet man with a lot of power. No.

Hargid/Madam Maxime- She was a foot taller than him...and she wasn't very attractive. She was discribe in the book with a "handsome face and olive skin" pshhh yea right.

The entire Maze scene....need I say more?

Well I should say the entire END of the movie....they didn't...quasi-introduce the Order at all! Harry just went along with it like he was buttering toast or something...nothing was explained and he wasnt at all upset by it! Sirius wasn't even there for moral support! That part was SO crucial because it began to show Sirius as a father figure...and now it OotP they have completly messed it up and have a lot of catching up to do with the whole father figure role. Sirius wasn't even hardly in the film! They just had that really dumb fire scene....in which is came out of the ashes...? GAH! Sirius is suppose to be helping him mentally throughout because he has NO idea what to dO!

I know that they couldn't have put everything in....so I dont mind the entire Subplot of Winky/Barty Crouch/ Bagman being wiped out....as of now it isn't really that important...but for the seventh book it maybe....so they again they may have shot themselves in the foot.

Yea...so thats my rant...haha

Stupid shiny Volvo drivers....
Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2006, 12:17 am
Second Year

I liked all the films but the film that did less justice to the book would have to be for me POA. That movie shouldn't have been made that way at all imo.

Old November 20th, 2006, 12:30 am
Third Year

I thik POA frustrated me more as a film, but GOF had moments that upset me the most. The big ones being the infamous shaking scene, and the lack of Sirius.

That was a HUGE dropped ball to me. I mean, the instances of Sirius staying in a cave, helping Harry, being there for him after the maze, ect ect, they should not have been cut. Those scenes, while not contributing to the direct plot of that movie, played huge roles in the overall story of Harry Potter. When you think about it, Sirius really wasn't in GOF that much, but because the instances he was in it were so poignant, it made his character more important. When Sirius bites it in OOTP, no one will care, because his movie persona has been poorly developed. When I see him go through the veil, I won't be going "NO SIRIUS NO!" I'll be saying "huh, looks like Gary Oldman's dead"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&i tem=170269184909

YOU'RE GOING TO END UP LIVING OFF A STEADY DIET OF GOVERNMENT IMPORTED CHEESE, AND LIVING IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.
Old November 20th, 2006, 4:37 am
Second Year

I can't choose just one film that drives me mad. I get furious about all of the movies. So many important things are taken out. For someone who has not read the books, the holes are not apparent but for us, the readers and studiers, the deletions are huge. How do you explain Harry waking up at the Burrow at the beginning of the GoF movie? I watched it tonight and spent so much of the time thinking to myself about all of the things that were wrong. Yes, I'll watch the OOtP movie but I'll be doing the same thing.

Old November 20th, 2006, 4:40 am
First Year

I don't really understand why that's huge. Or even a hole.

Old November 20th, 2006, 6:48 am
Fourth Year

PoA makes me sad, just because it's my favourite book and my hopes for the movie were crazy high. Yes, I do think it is the best of the movies but I wasn't expecting as much from the other movies because I wasn't as in heart with the other books.
Still loved the books, mind you, but not as much...

Old November 20th, 2006, 7:18 am
First Year

PoA. they got a lot of things out of order, and it was just strange. it's my favorite book, but the movie really annoys me.

Old November 20th, 2006, 8:20 am
Third Year

Prisoner Of Azkaban, no doubt!

Bann me! IŽm tired of cosforums! What a shame dunderheads use to discuss here "whom they want to kill in book 7 if they could " but funny matters are forbidden here. Bann me! It would be an honour for me.
Old November 20th, 2006, 8:25 am
Second Year

Indeed in ALL the films they left out some really important stuff but seeing GoF makes me feel bad. They left out to much important things. Even if it where small details it made a huge difference as said before they really have to catch some things up now in Ootp. I'm looking forward to the film even tho they often don 't follow the books precisly.

Old November 20th, 2006, 9:51 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearlyheadless View Post
Indeed in ALL the films they left out some really important stuff but seeing GoF makes me feel bad. They left out to much important things. Even if it where small details it made a huge difference as said before they really have to catch some things up now in Ootp. I'm looking forward to the film even tho they often don 't follow the books precisly.
i agree! sometimes it seems asthough they are really stuffing themselves up with the things they leave out! as much as all the films drive me crazy... i still cant wait for OOTP!

Old November 20th, 2006, 2:36 pm
First Year

for me it's poa, i liked it in the beginning the most when i saw it first time, but up to now it watched it about 10 times and now i really dislike it

the clothes style of the trio, the bright colors doesnt fit to the dark atmosphere made by the threat of sirius black

Old November 20th, 2006, 6:00 pm
Third Year

It's POA for me as well, there are so many fascinating details in the book and a lot of that is lost in the film. When I watched the movie at the cinema with a friend I spent 20 minutes afterwards telling her about all the details that had been left out - and those details were a major part of what made the book so good in my opinion.

-we might as well be hanged for a dragon as an egg. (Mrs. Figg is fantastic!)

Old November 20th, 2006, 6:15 pm
First Year

it makes me mad that they leave out little things and its the little things that would make the movies complete....and i also agree with darwinmayflower those are some interesting points

Old November 20th, 2006, 6:38 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybear View Post
it makes me mad that they leave out little things and its the little things that would make the movies complete....and i also agree with darwinmayflower those are some interesting points
Although PoA's the best film, and I love some aspects of it as a whole, as a harry potter movie, I hated it - becuase there were so many things that were just so obviously wrong about it! i hated how much was change/missed out in GoF, but the underlying points of characterisation and soem of the feel was good. The whol fantasy adventure thing and ron's character for example. I mean, it was a HUGE book...but PoA? The film was so short! And they missed out so much! TBH, that may be as agood a harry potte rmovie can get, in general movie terms, but I don't think it is. That;s why, when I'm reading PoA it drives me CRAZY!!! Because it has SOME underlying key poitns, and is very similar to the book...then ISN'T! At least GoF was compeltely different! I can actually seperate them, you know?

Old November 20th, 2006, 10:00 pm
Second Year

Paper Shoes, I only pointed out one of the many things that I find wrong with GoF. The Weasleys trying the enter the Dursley's home through the boarded up fireplace, Dobby missing, Winky missing, the explanation of how Barty Crouch, Jr. got Harry's wand and set off the Dark Mark in the sky, to name a few, are all holes to me. So many of the things that have been left out or changed in the movies keep me from enjoying them. I haven't watched the other movies in quite some time because I would prefer to read the books.

Old November 20th, 2006, 10:03 pm
First Year

Oh, when you said hole I thought you meant something else.

Old November 20th, 2006, 10:16 pm
Second Year

GOF is by far the movie I hate the most when I read the book. I can deal with the absence of SPEW but I really hate the end of the book were Harry got his winnings and the whole Snape was a Death Eater thing comes out and Sirius and Snape see each other. There are just so many points they left out of GOF that make people who have not read the books go "huh?". I hope they fix that with OOTP.

Here's to the strong, thanks to the brave, Don't give up hope, some people change. Against all odds, against the grain, Love finds a way, some people change. --Montgomery Gentry

DIATSSISE
Old November 21st, 2006, 2:32 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookshanksfan View Post
It's POA for me as well, there are so many fascinating details in the book and a lot of that is lost in the film. When I watched the movie at the cinema with a friend I spent 20 minutes afterwards telling her about all the details that had been left out - and those details were a major part of what made the book so good in my opinion.
I did that too, man. I had such high hopes for PoA...I don't know. In a lot of ways, I'm not really sure it's possible to make the movie I wanted to see and still reap a profit/keep it short. My PoA would've been great [sighs dreamily]...

ETA: greatER, greatERRRRRRR...sorry, thought I'd clarify!

Old November 27th, 2006, 10:04 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WattleBird View Post
The Goblet of Fire drove me insane...

My mom who has only seen the movies accompanied me and after we were done she asked a million and five questions...

but some of the major things...

Mad Eye Moody/Barty Crouch Jr - 1st off the way he looked. What was that leather strap thing and why did his eye zoom in? He had a metal boot...instead of a wooden claw. The part where he blasted the ceiling? The unforgivable curses...Moody was suppose to be like you think its funny!?!? well it's NOT! And he just laughed maniacally the entire time he was tourchering the spider! He was suppose to be Harry's frined...his confidant. He was neither...at the end...they DIDNT EVEN EXPLAIN WHY HE DID IT! They didnt do any of that!

Dumbledore - He was angry!!!! He shook Harry...he is suppose to be a quiet man with a lot of power. No.

Hargid/Madam Maxime- She was a foot taller than him...and she wasn't very attractive. She was discribe in the book with a "handsome face and olive skin" pshhh yea right.

The entire Maze scene....need I say more?

Well I should say the entire END of the movie....they didn't...quasi-introduce the Order at all! Harry just went along with it like he was buttering toast or something...nothing was explained and he wasnt at all upset by it! Sirius wasn't even there for moral support! That part was SO crucial because it began to show Sirius as a father figure...and now it OotP they have completly messed it up and have a lot of catching up to do with the whole father figure role. Sirius wasn't even hardly in the film! They just had that really dumb fire scene....in which is came out of the ashes...? GAH! Sirius is suppose to be helping him mentally throughout because he has NO idea what to dO!

I know that they couldn't have put everything in....so I dont mind the entire Subplot of Winky/Barty Crouch/ Bagman being wiped out....as of now it isn't really that important...but for the seventh book it maybe....so they again they may have shot themselves in the foot.

Yea...so thats my rant...haha

I have to say I pretty much agree with all of this. I wasn't impressed with movie four as a fan of the books. I could have been better in my opinion. I think the explainations were lacking and they padded out that dragon scene way too much - that could have been valuable talk time where viewers find out what on earth just happened in the last two and a half hours. As fans of the book we understand, but people who haven't read them, on the whole, didn't fully get it.

No movie is going to be perfect, especially as they get longer and longer and they can't fit everything in and follow the books exactly- believe me I understand and it annoys me when others don't get that - but I really think they included a lot of unneccessary stuff and didn't include imporant details that affect the Harry Potter story. Bad.

Old November 27th, 2006, 10:47 pm
Second Year

Omg, don't get me started on GoF... I know movies must be different from the books, I want them to be because otherwise they'd be quite plain and forced, and besides it's nice to see a different view of HP, like in PoA; but with GoF I could find no excuse, it lacked so much storyline and yet found time to add details that didn't even add to the atmosphere, it looked so 'muggle' and the Yule Ball scene was so dramatic and Hollywoodian, and maybe worst of all it was so rushed and abrupt that you really couldn't get into the Hogwarts feeling. I did like a few scenes, but I'd had such expectations that I was really disappointed by its lack of magic and flow. But of course everything I said is imho, I know lots of people liked it, maybe that fast pace suits some people. It's just that I can't relate it to what HP feels like in my head.
And of course, due to all that GoF annoys me the most when I read the book, because I remember the feel of the movie, which has nothing to do with the one the book gives me.

"But the sons of Men die indeed, and leave the world; wherefore they are called the Guests, or the Strangers. Death is their fate, the gift of Iluvatar, which as Time wears even the Powers shall envy."
(J.R.R.Tolkien)
"And then he greeted Death as an old friend, and went with him gladly, and, equals, they departed this life."
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies