Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What mistakes in the films can you just not overlook?

Old November 8th, 2006, 1:03 am
Fourth Year

Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoleweasley View Post
im confused. all i was trynna say was that i think instead of putting poitnless scenes in there (learnign to dance etc) they should have put in things that matter to the plot. but that is as i said just my opinion....
Right. And my point is that the scenes in question at the end of the book are NOT important to the plot. The main plot has already ended at that point. They are a set-up to the plot in the next book and thus don't belong in the GoF film.

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2006, 1:22 am
Second Year

yeah but it wasn't in the book, and it wasnt exactly vital

Old November 8th, 2006, 2:57 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
yeah but it wasn't in the book, and it wasnt exactly vital
It doesn't matter if it was in the book or not. The films are not the books.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old November 8th, 2006, 3:40 am
Banned

I liked the dancing lessons. What's wrong with the dancing lessons? That was adorable.

Old November 8th, 2006, 6:34 am
First Year

This is just my opinion and I do not wish to offend anyone by stating the following.

I disliked the POA film and I felt that the acting wasn't that great.. It didn't seem natural to me.. I don't feel the emotions that I thought they would be feeling and I didn't like the way the dementor looked in the quidditch match.. At first I thought it was just a bunch of umbrellas flying around, even though I did see one umbrella.. lol
And lastly, I thought they'd show Gryffindor fianlly winning the Quidditch cup

The Relavesting Women

Feedback
Old November 12th, 2006, 10:24 am
Third Year

Quote:
i know! i honestly do not understand how someone could sit through the Harry potter movies and not be confused by the storyline, its so choppy and leaves big gaps in the story that i just dont think i would get it. and after seeing the movie with friends who dont read the book i ask them 'did u get this bit' or for an example 'did you know sirius was harrys godfather' and they never do.

yes moodys eye was horrible! why the strap? random! i thought ( exept for the eye) he could have looked the part, however the persona they gave him wasnt really ' mad eye moddy' we see in the books, he was more like a mad man looking for laughs or soemthing
Im glad someone is on my page. I just dont get the people who are 'movie-only' fans.... it grates me that they think they books only contain what are in the movies. *grumble grumble*

Ahahahahahahah
Quote:
' mad eye moddy'
mehehehehhe... thats classic Yeah i dont reakn the acting did the book character any justice... and it wasnt that funny. I really got annoyed with how the 3 unforgivable curses scene was all messed up, and how hermione was boarderline crying the entire time. *rolls eyes*

Ravenclaws: Study Hard, Party Harder!
Old November 12th, 2006, 1:49 pm
First Year

What annoyed me about the imperious curse was that it made the spider fly - The imperious curse CANNOT make someone do something they are not physically capable of doing.

Old November 12th, 2006, 9:23 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacz View Post
What annoyed me about the imperious curse was that it made the spider fly - The imperious curse CANNOT make someone do something they are not physically capable of doing.
good point!

Old November 12th, 2006, 11:22 pm
Third Year

I'm sorry people, but the movie that has and will always annoy me the most is Prisoner of Azkaban.

SO . UNFAITHFUL . TO BOOK. *cries*

Old November 13th, 2006, 12:27 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MioneBookworm View Post
I'm sorry people, but the movie that has and will always annoy me the most is Prisoner of Azkaban.

SO . UNFAITHFUL . TO BOOK. *cries*

A faithful movie adaptation needs to adapt from the source material and not just blindly copy from the book text. This is why the first 2 films were failures, while POA and GOF were successes.

POA is actually the most faithful to the book, because it captured the story well and ignored any irrelevant plot details that have no bearing on the story.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old November 13th, 2006, 9:45 am
Fourth Year

GOF annoyed me the most, but for the fact it was very lazily edited to the point if felt like the whole film was slapped together on the cheap.

Old November 17th, 2006, 6:42 am
Banned

Might as well continue the joy:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
  • When Harry first meets Quirrel in front of the Mirror of Erised, Quirrel reaches out his hand to beckon to Harry to come to his side. I didn't know if he was slowly approaching them because he was paralyzed with fear or he was trying to resist a spell compelling him to walk towards the mirror. It looked like the latter, but there was no clear idea as to what it is. And with Quirrel's hand kinda directing Potter, and yet not...it makes me wonder what exactly was going on. This is completely wrong because it's like the imperius curse but without a wand! I mean might as well have stuck with the original version with the ropes tying up Harry in the first place.

• During the fight with Quirrel and the fire barrier was just set up, it was sort of neat to interpret how Harry is just blurry in the Mirror's reflection standing between his parents' images...it kinda represents his wavering choice of whether or not he wants to give the stone up to see his parents again. But I am a bit confused as to whether it was Voldemort who was making the images appear in the mirror or if it was Harry's actual reflection of his own desire.

However it's just so bad what comes after. The worst thing possible is that it really gives the audience the wrong impression that Harry really wanted to side with giving up the stone, because as soon as the image disappears Harry screams out YOU LIAR!; which totally gives the impression that it was Voldemort's magic weakening that made the parents' images disappear. It never gave in to the idea that Harry realized himself that Voldemort was lying that it was his character that opposed Voldemort...not some gift that was taken away from him and he acted like an upset child.

They totally should have showed Harry yelling YOU LIAR before the image of his parents fading away, only to solidify his resolve that his parents will not come back...and that he will not succumb to temptation of evil.

• Why on earth are there two different passages leading to the where the philospher's stone being kept? There is only one that we all know of, and to include two drives me mad!

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  • Why does Ron's Howler perform a raspberry at the end of the message? that was completely uneeded, immature and should have probably focused on the loudness of the howler instead.

• When Harry discovers Filch's cat being petrified why on earth are two ENTIRE HOUSES appear in the SAME corridor at the same time? I mean sure dinner's just got out from the great hall (which one would assume that the houses originate from the same source), but still....if they are heading towards their common rooms why in hogwarts is there a single corridor that seems to send Gryffindors and Slytherins travelling into the opposite direction to their dorms?

• All the adults wandering the school in CoS. They are not teachers and I doubt that Dumbldore allows so many visitors just milling about the school and grounds.

• McGonagall having to wave her hands magically after saying the password to Dumbledore's office. I mean isn't the password enough?

• When Harry gets shot out of the diary after seeing Hagrid being caught by Riddle...he says WHOA. That was totally inappropriate and just pandering.

• Originally the door to the CoS was actually two stone serpents carved into a wall, which I wish they did but what's done is done. A neat little detail on the snake vault door is that it has 7 snake locks. The number that is most magical in HP so it seems.

• When Harry first met Riddle in the CoS. Riddle is that is a memory and thus lacked form. It seemed it was until he was nearly formed in the CoS with Ginny lying down there that he could pick up things and objects. Even though they didn't show Riddle as slighty blurred around the edges as in the book, I think they still treated him that way where he holds up his hand as if seeing his progress of his body forming. Either that or severely lacking a wineglass typical of evil wine drinking gentleman villains.

To me I think they should have at least attempted some form of him being blurred or at least being somewhat intangible to really drive the point that he's supposed to be gaining a form. Otherwise, you shouldn't really show Riddle holding up his hand like the process of transferring Ginny's life energy was nearly complete, considering that he seemed fully formed when we first see him.
    Apparently from the original script, Kloves decided to include that little fact as well:
    Quote:
    Harry spins. Tom Riddle stands nearby. He is strangely BLURRED around the edges, as though Harry was looking at him through a misted window.
  • When Ginny wakes up after The Diary is destroyed. Wright does nothing to do any character for Ginny, it's like she's relaying a message from an earpiece rather than feeling completely violated and powerless to prevent the horrible things that she did when she was possessed. I mean it's like she woke up. I mean seriously, she supposed to be confused, worried and above all else scared of all sort of things. Scared that Harry might be hurt, scared that she might be expelled, scared that she might have killed someone, scared of Riddle, the Basilisk and yet all we get is an almost calm ZEN like explanation that she did all the bad things.

• Fawkes looks nothing like his description in the books. He's supposed to bring light to the dark CoS, yet he almost blends in. He's supposed to be almost on fire he's so bright and yet he looks just red. Plus he's supposed to instill hope and STAY with Harry, yet he hardly sticks around as he did in the book. He just comes in to poke out eyes and cry.

Old November 17th, 2006, 12:38 pm
Fourth Year

So how's pedantry going for you? Seriously though, I agree with you about the fire exit to the Philosopher's Stone.

Old November 17th, 2006, 8:33 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophanes View Post
So how's pedantry going for you? Seriously though, I agree with you about the fire exit to the Philosopher's Stone.
Heehee... nah i agree with you too about most things

I think the thing that grates me the most is the depiction of Dumbledore in GOF.. its just wrong... dumbledore dosent yell, specially not at harry... neither does he shake him! and he isnt ment to be a scary figure as it is portrayed.

*GRUMBLE GRUMBLE*

Old November 19th, 2006, 4:46 am
First Year

I would have to go with Prisoner of Azkaban. There is so much that they left out of that book. Since the POA happens to be my favorite of all the books, this adds to my irritation. The 1,2, and 4 movies were pretty much along the same plot lines as the books. However, when I saw The Prizoner of Azkaban after reading the book, I was extremely confused and dissapointed at all of the gaps. This movie annoys me the most, and should have footage added.

Old November 19th, 2006, 1:40 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoonibWazley
It doesn't matter if it was in the book or not. The films are not the books.
Very true, but the topic is which movie, when reading the book, drives you crazy because things that were left in/out. We are not discussing what should have been cut and what shouldn't. These are people's opinions and they have a right to be irritated by the lack of similarity between book and movie if they want.

Although I am slightly irritated by all of the films when I read each book (the small details - I like the movies, but sometimes I can imagine them with certain things added or cut), I am not extremely annoyed by any of them. I do not expect the films to replicate the books; they are different entities, so they should differ. Whenever I read the books, I do not think of the films, so no "film drives me mad when reading the book."

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138

Last edited by MrSleepyHead; January 10th, 2009 at 1:05 am.
Old November 19th, 2006, 1:56 pm
First Year

POA film drives my NUTS!!! it's my FAVE BOOK!!! The thing is the whole point of the story is that Sirius isn't mad right? Well in the film he is!!!!!!!!!!

I need a stress ball...

Old November 19th, 2006, 6:26 pm
Banned

The Goblet of Fire, because they don't even include Mr. Bagman.

Old November 19th, 2006, 8:40 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepzibah_Star View Post
POA film drives my NUTS!!! it's my FAVE BOOK!!! The thing is the whole point of the story is that Sirius isn't mad right? Well in the film he is!!!!!!!!!!

I need a stress ball...
Awww!!! i totally agree..... deep breaths!!

Old November 19th, 2006, 9:39 pm
First Year

None off the films drove me mad yet... But I think movie VI will drive me mad... because I think it's gonne be a pretty boring movie... because there happens nothing exiting in it... It's is just the pensive the whole time and the part when Dumbledore dies...

Dutch Harry Potter Site: www.harrypotterfreakz.com
Dutch Harry Potter Forum: www.harrypotterforum.nl
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies