Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What mistakes in the films can you just not overlook?

Old August 12th, 2011, 7:10 am
First Year

Re: What mistakes in the films can you just not overlook?

I just wanted to see the giant squid at least once...

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2011, 7:18 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post
Well, Harry did over-magic Voldemort, if one includes in that his understanding of the wand dynamics. I don't really have a logical problem with the way that played out.

However, I do agree the graphical depiction of the final confrontation was a bit disappointing, especially after the phenomenal battle between Voldemort and Dumbledore in OotP.
But Voldemort's spell rebounding had nothing to do with Harry's skill, is what I mean. Voldemort simply wasn't the Elder Wand's true owner and ended up killing himself. But the final battle in the movie made it look like it was some kind of a struggle. Amirite? It has been a month since I've seen this movie...

on CoS | on PM
THIS IS A SLYTHERDORE.
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:28 pm
Second Year

This one was hilarious.

In the maze when Krum Is Impiriused, and attacking Cedric.

Cedrid uses expelliarmus, and Krum gets knocked off his stand and falls back. Then Cedric runs till where Krum is lying on the ground and kicks Krum's wand away from him.
Hahaha!

---

and later, when Cedric is entangled in the hedge, Harry uses Reducto.
I'm not sure about this, but isn't Reducto a kind of explosion curse?
I think Diffindo would have been the correct spell.

Last edited by Deva; August 12th, 2011 at 12:34 pm.
Old August 12th, 2011, 1:47 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva View Post

and later, when Cedric is entangled in the hedge, Harry uses Reducto.
I'm not sure about this, but isn't Reducto a kind of explosion curse?
I think Diffindo would have been the correct spell.
I think Reducto is one of those overused spells which have different effects in different situations like Expelliarmus and STUPEFY.

Come to think of it, remember how in Book 1 and Film 1 it was so explicit that incantations and hand movements are important but in the later films they throw wands around smacking each other and throwing explosives at each other... really defeats the purpose of the "swish and flick" scene. If it wasn't for that Halloween Charm's class, Hermione wouldn't be friends with Harry and Ron

Old August 12th, 2011, 3:32 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I think there's an issue with which of Hermione's arms Bella carves.

As far as I can recall, she is seen moving to the opposite arm that the word "mudblood" appears.

Old August 12th, 2011, 4:02 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru0001 View Post
I think Reducto is one of those overused spells which have different effects in different situations like Expelliarmus and STUPEFY.

Come to think of it, remember how in Book 1 and Film 1 it was so explicit that incantations and hand movements are important but in the later films they throw wands around smacking each other and throwing explosives at each other... really defeats the purpose of the "swish and flick" scene. If it wasn't for that Halloween Charm's class, Hermione wouldn't be friends with Harry and Ron
To play the devil's advocate the emphasis on technique in the early books is very much like the emphasis on technique in any learning situation. Once a person is proficient in basic technique they loosen up style-wise.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 12th, 2011, 4:12 pm
First Year

Two things. Both are from DH2 because I just rewatched it.

1. How in duels, it's possible to deflect and shield yourself from Avada Kedavra. Harry does it in his duel with Voldemort and Ginny does it when Bellatrix tries to kill her (Before Molly finishes her off)
2. When Voldemort turns the Basilisk Fang to dust, surely he would have gone straight for Harry, the boy who has survived his attack twice and destroyed all of his treasured Horcruxes and disposed of the Fang when Harry was dead? If you looked over the stairs the Fang wouldn't be the first thing on your mind, what would stick out more would be your 17 Year Old Arch-Enemy who you were attacking just seconds before!

Old August 12th, 2011, 4:43 pm
First Year

In the Goblet of Fire movie, I have never been able to overlook Dumbledore's reaction to Harry's name coming out of the Goblet. The actor pushes Harry into a wall and angrily yells at Harry. This was such a poor depiction of Dumbledore. Do we ever see him yell in the book at anyone, let alone physically assault Harry?!?! I can't forgive that.

Old August 12th, 2011, 5:14 pm
Second Year

I did not like Bellatrix or Voldemort exploding in DH2, seemed like an odd way for them to die.
I was also sad when they didn't show Harry fixing his broken phoenix wand with the elder wand.
That wand meant alot to him and would be worth showing in the film.

Pottermore Username: FireboltPurple63
Old August 12th, 2011, 5:29 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyEvans13060 View Post
In the Goblet of Fire movie, I have never been able to overlook Dumbledore's reaction to Harry's name coming out of the Goblet. The actor pushes Harry into a wall and angrily yells at Harry. This was such a poor depiction of Dumbledore. Do we ever see him yell in the book at anyone, let alone physically assault Harry?!?! I can't forgive that.

That doesn't bother me as much as it amuses me, but just to make things worse:

JK actually wrote

'Harry, did you put your name in the cup?' asked dumbledore calmly.

She specifically said 'calmly'

Wonder what the writers though. Let's make it the exact opposite of what happened,because that makes sense.

Last edited by Deva; August 12th, 2011 at 5:34 pm.
Old August 12th, 2011, 7:41 pm
First Year

Quote:
I just watched GoF again earlier and I completely agree with this. I think if Richard Harris was still in the role it wouldn't have been the same. His Dumbledore was far more gentle, Gambon's was more physical.

"Itís the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."
Pottermore: DawnWolfsbane66
Old August 12th, 2011, 7:46 pm
First Year

I love Dumbledore shoving him into the wall. Gambon should of had the role from the beginning. His Dumbledore is much superior. Harris' Dumbledore was borderline boring. Reading the books, I've never liked Dumbledore much, and find him a little skeevy, the same way I do Professor X in the X-Men universe. He's using people for his gain. Of course, killing Voldy is for the gain of the whole world, but it doesn't mean he's using Hary (and others) any less. THe later films take on Dumbledore is very close to how I picture him when I read the books, to be honest. maybe I'm influenced by the films though.

Old August 12th, 2011, 7:48 pm
First Year

I always imagined Dumbledore as more relaxed and calm like Harris' portrayal, I still loved Gambon as Dumbledore, he was excellent in HBP, I just felt that scene was out of place.

"Itís the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."
Pottermore: DawnWolfsbane66
Old August 13th, 2011, 5:22 am
Second Year

Oh this isn't a mistake but more of an OOC kind of thing on Dumbledore's behalf in the Prisoner of Azkaban

When Hermione and Harry return to the hospital wing after they've released Sirius Dumbledore closes the door,
Quote:
Dumbledore: Well?
Harry: He's free. We did it.
Dumbledore: Did what? Good night.
... seriously... this was the part that made me dislike Gambon's Dumbledore... at least his major improvement in HBP made up for it. Dumbledore was meant to be like a god-mod in this part of the book, he planned everything using Hermione as a way to rescue the innocent one and then we they return he says "Did what?!" ... omg!!

Old August 13th, 2011, 7:57 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru0001 View Post
Oh this isn't a mistake but more of an OOC kind of thing on Dumbledore's behalf in the Prisoner of Azkaban

When Hermione and Harry return to the hospital wing after they've released Sirius Dumbledore closes the door,

... seriously... this was the part that made me dislike Gambon's Dumbledore... at least his major improvement in HBP made up for it. Dumbledore was meant to be like a god-mod in this part of the book, he planned everything using Hermione as a way to rescue the innocent one and then we they return he says "Did what?!" ... omg!!
Actually that was in character. He knew exactly what they did and the delivery of "Did what?" was really smug. So playing it off a bit was pretty much in line with what Dumbledore would do.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old August 13th, 2011, 8:24 am
First Year

I was really bothered by the way Ron was consistently treated as the idiot of the trio. In the movies he comes off close to stupid, when in the books it's clear that his grades are nearly the same as Harry's. He's a Prefect. He gets more O.W.L.s than Fred and George put together. and they made him seem so much more concerned with cracking jokes than offering encouragement. In the books, Ron is beside Harry every step of the way just as much as Hermione is. It's always both of them promising to be there, both of them committing to stand with him against Voldemort, both of them giving him strength and comfort. But in the movies he's more of the tagalong or something, the clueless buddy who means well, but just isn't very bright. It's always Hermione giving moving speeches to Harry or speaking for both herself and Ron, while Ron just stands awkwardly in the background time and time again.

OH. Also. The Knight Bus. Anyone else feel that this was one of the dumbest things they've ever seen? It was painful to watch. The disembodied head hanging from the mirror, trying to be funny.....Harry's face slamming against the back window over and over.....the way the bus shrank until it was no more than a few inches wide....it was like something from a cartoon for young children. It felt completely out of place with the story, the movie, and the feel of Harry Potter as a whole.

The Flammifer of Westernesse

"You've just been Edgar Allan PWNED." John Green

Hello, I'm the Doctor. I was here to help, and you are very, very welcome.

"What a snappy retort," said Fred. "I really don't know how you think of them."
Old August 13th, 2011, 8:49 am
Banned

I really hated that scene in DH2 when Snape takes a stroll though the cottage in Godric's Hollow, stepping over James body to cuddle Lily's corpse. While it perfectly illustrates several aspects of Snape,
His obsession with Lily and how little he felt for her family.
His total disregard for Harry, and what little regard he felt for her feelings and wishes. It conveyed this very well in a way I thought was really rather horrific, ( I actually felt squeamish watching him just ignore baby Harry who was sobbing his heart out.)

While the scene for me worked at showing how badly a person could act out of 'love', Snape never went to Godric's Hollow. We know that because Hagrid was there and so was Sirius. But the film just ignored Canon and invented things that just distorted Canon all out of shape. Poor Snape, he really got the short end of the stick in these films. Not one scene except this one to show how far down the moral ladder he had fallen. No 'Mudblood' scene, no scene where he is forced to choose between Lily and becoming a terrorist, no scene where he is shown to be the one who informed Voldemort about the prophecy, no scene where he feeds the potion to Neville 's frog after telling Neville it will kill his pet if it is not made correctly, no scene where he callously insult Hermione about seeing no change in her teeth. Not one scene in which it is made plain that this character went through a huge character arc. He went from being a cold blooded accessory to planning the murder of an infant and that infant's family to being a linchpin in Dumbledore's plan. If I was Alan Rickman I would have been so disappointed in what WB did with the character.

The other mistake I didn't like was in the Epilogue where they cut Harry's line. Harry never said that Snape was 'the bravest man'. He said 'probably' the bravest man. The fact that the word was left out of the line shows just how important that word was. With Harry's speech about how Snape was working for Dumbledore cut out entirely, this was the only way that it could be shown that Harry forgave Snape for all of Snape's wrongs against him. All they had to do was shoot the final showdown the way Rowling wrote it and the Epilogue would have worked.
This film had great special effects and good performances of what material there was but it was a terrible adaptation of the source material.

Last edited by eliza101; August 13th, 2011 at 8:52 am. Reason: spelling
Old August 13th, 2011, 10:20 am
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFirebolt
2. When Voldemort turns the Basilisk Fang to dust, surely he would have gone straight for Harry, the boy who has survived his attack twice and destroyed all of his treasured Horcruxes and disposed of the Fang when Harry was dead? If you looked over the stairs the Fang wouldn't be the first thing on your mind, what would stick out more would be your 17 Year Old Arch-Enemy who you were attacking just seconds before!
If I remember correctly, at that point Harry hadn't destroyed all his preciuos horcruxes. Nagini was still out there. Voldemort wanted to make sure he destroyed Harry's means of destructing his last horcrux. Of course he didn't know about the sword, so he thought by destroying the fang, Harry had no means of killing Nagini.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old August 13th, 2011, 1:36 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
If I remember correctly, at that point Harry hadn't destroyed all his preciuos horcruxes. Nagini was still out there. Voldemort wanted to make sure he destroyed Harry's means of destructing his last horcrux. Of course he didn't know about the sword, so he thought by destroying the fang, Harry had no means of killing Nagini.
I understand that, but Harry would have even less chance of destroying a Horcrux if he was dead. To kill Harry then destroy the Basilisk Fang rather than attempting to destroy the Basilisk Fang and hope Harry doesn't notice and dodge his next attack (Which he does)

Old August 13th, 2011, 4:41 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I completely agree with you. I think Michael Gambon is a great actor, but this just wasn't like the Dumbledore in the books at all. He's supposed to be this calm, gentle guy, who hardly ever gets angry, let alone push his favourite student into a wall.

Wand: Larch, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4, Slightly Yielding
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies