Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What mistakes in the films can you just not overlook?

Old November 5th, 2006, 5:56 pm
Second Year

Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

Um I really don't like any of the movies all that much. This dispite having all of them on DVD. I must say my favorite book was POA and I too was dissapointed at the ending. I so wanted to see CAPSLOCK Snape on screen! Ugg.

Here's to the strong, thanks to the brave, Don't give up hope, some people change. Against all odds, against the grain, Love finds a way, some people change. --Montgomery Gentry

DIATSSISE
Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2006, 6:12 pm
Second Year

I really didn't like any of the movies either. I liked GOF, but that's because I saw it before I finished reading the book, so I looked at it as more of just and entertaining film and didn't compare it to the book at all.
And that's really what you have to do with the films anyways. They're only based on the books, and they're just for entertainment purposes only. So you have to sort of detatch yourself from the book when you watch any of the films.

Old November 5th, 2006, 6:17 pm
Second Year

To me the books and movies are distinct. They are similar but two different art forms.

I will say that GOF bothers me though. There's a lot going on under the surface of all the action and they touched on none of that emotion.

I don't want the movies to copy the books, but there was no emotional release at the end of the movie like there was in the book, and I feel that is a detriment to Harry's character development.

The end of GOF the book is rather sad and uncertain, while the movie glossed over everything and tied on a happy, peppy scene of school cheer.

Old November 5th, 2006, 6:27 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollylime View Post
To me the books and movies are distinct. They are similar but two different art forms.

I will say that GOF bothers me though. There's a lot going on under the surface of all the action and they touched on none of that emotion.

I don't want the movies to copy the books, but there was no emotional release at the end of the movie like there was in the book, and I feel that is a detriment to Harry's character development.

The end of GOF the book is rather sad and uncertain, while the movie glossed over everything and tied on a happy, peppy scene of school cheer.
I definately agree about the ending. It was kind of like, "Well, thank goodness all that is overwith, maybe we'll have some fun next year *whistles and skips off into the sunset*"
I think to get the full experience of GOF you have to read the book, but as for the film, if you just look at it as a movie and nothing more, it's good.

Old November 5th, 2006, 10:47 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoonibWazley View Post
How Barty escaped isn't important. The only important thing is that he is impersonating Moody to "help" Harry win the tournament.

Snape's past isn't important either, at least not in GOF.

And finally, Fudge's disbelief about Voldy's return is the plot of OOTP, not GOF. There is no reason to include it in GOF when OOTP will have to reintroduce that plot anyway.

You have to understand that you cannot use events from movie X as a setup for events in movie X+1. Any relevant parts of movie X will need to be reintroduced in movie X+1 exactly the same way they would be if movie X did not exist.

yeah however they all happen in GOF so i doubt they will fit into OOTP with all the other storylines so what i was saying is they should have included those things as they will be important to the next films...the plot in general rather than putting in pointless scenes that basically just waste time...for lack of a better statement. its just my opinion that those things should have been included as they all have relevence to the rest of the story.

Old November 5th, 2006, 11:58 pm
First Year

Oh my deary, the fourth movie is horrrrrrrrible. Of course I love it, but I also hate it at the same time, simply because of all the holes and random parts that mess up everything, like Barty Jr. with Voldemort, and that crazy scene with Karkaroff hiding in the Great Hall.

Old November 6th, 2006, 12:14 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoleweasley View Post
yeah however they all happen in GOF so i doubt they will fit into OOTP with all the other storylines so what i was saying is they should have included those things as they will be important to the next films...the plot in general rather than putting in pointless scenes that basically just waste time...for lack of a better statement. its just my opinion that those things should have been included as they all have relevence to the rest of the story.
Scenes should only be included in the films if they are relevant to that film's story or plot. You can't use the GOF movie as the only setup for the OOTP movie. The OOTP movie will have to reintroduce any previous plot points anyway, so there is no reason to waste time in the previous movies with such scenes.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old November 6th, 2006, 12:51 am
Third Year

I read some of the first few post in the topic and had to stop. How can it be that people thought it was too close to the book? I mean they left out more than half of the plot line, Ginny who was the one who opened the chamber in the first place only has like 2 mins in the whole movie!! I think they messed this one up so much. The same goes for POA they compleletly left out the history of the people who made the map. They also left out that Wormtail killed 12 people with one curse and pinned it on Sirius which is how he got landed in jail in the first place and not because he betrayed Harry's parents.

Old November 6th, 2006, 1:03 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defyeverything View Post
I read some of the first few post in the topic and had to stop. How can it be that people thought it was too close to the book?
Because the films are too close to the books! They are not cinematic enough. Check out my siggy. A film should tell its story in such a way, that if the sound went off, the audience would still understand what is going on.

None of the HP films get anywhere near this ideal. Ergo, they are merely clumsily filmed books, not proper films.

The film is better than the book #1: Brokeback Mountain

If it's a good movie, the sound could go off and the audience
would still have a perfectly clear idea of what was going on.

Alfred Hitchcock
Old November 6th, 2006, 1:07 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Beruth
None of the HP films get anywhere near this ideal. Ergo, they are merely clumsily filmed books, not proper films.
I might be able to understand Prisoner of Azkaban with it on mute. Not the others though.

Old November 6th, 2006, 2:04 am
Zonko's Employee

Yeah.

The film is better than the book #1: Brokeback Mountain

If it's a good movie, the sound could go off and the audience
would still have a perfectly clear idea of what was going on.

Alfred Hitchcock
Old November 6th, 2006, 6:28 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoonibWazley View Post
Scenes should only be included in the films if they are relevant to that film's story or plot. You can't use the GOF movie as the only setup for the OOTP movie. The OOTP movie will have to reintroduce any previous plot points anyway, so there is no reason to waste time in the previous movies with such scenes.
yeah i get that all n stuff what i am saying is i know how much they will obviously cut out of OOTP so they should have put those scenes that ARE relevant to it in GOB as they should have been. however that is only my opinion and im saying this as a nitpicking book reader not as a movie critic.

in my opinion the movies are boring. however i still watch them with excitment just cause they are part of HP even though they are way wrong and kinda crappy.

Old November 6th, 2006, 9:49 am
Second Year

by fair, the most disappointing was GoF. The other 3 movies have managed to work well with the books, but GoF seemed to kind of miss the "feeling" of the book. Some of the casting was quite poor too.
yep, GoF is the movie that grinds my gears the most out of all the films.

Old November 6th, 2006, 1:19 pm
Second Year

moodys eye was nothing like what i imagined it to be....am i the only one?

Old November 7th, 2006, 7:01 am
Third Year

I would personally prefer each movie being split into two segments (think Kill Bill 1 & 2) then have all this important plot, history, character developments etc.... So therefore all of the films drive me mad when reading the boks, or watching the films for that matter.

It all drives me insane, I dont understand how people actually understand GoF without actually reading the books.... the people who are all about the movies, cant be bothered with the books, they miss out on sooo much! *grumbe grumble grumble*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoleweasley View Post
moodys eye was nothing like what i imagined it to be....am i the only one?
Yeah!! I did not imagine it would be strapped on... didnt like it.... infact i thought the representation of Moody was very poor.

Ravenclaws: Study Hard, Party Harder!
Old November 7th, 2006, 8:45 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by _mollywobbles_ View Post
It all drives me insane, I dont understand how people actually understand GoF without actually reading the books.... the people who are all about the movies, cant be bothered with the books, they miss out on sooo much! *grumbe grumble grumble*

Yeah!! I did not imagine it would be strapped on... didnt like it.... infact i thought the representation of Moody was very poor.
i know! i honestly do not understand how someone could sit through the Harry potter movies and not be confused by the storyline, its so choppy and leaves big gaps in the story that i just dont think i would get it. and after seeing the movie with friends who dont read the book i ask them 'did u get this bit' or for an example 'did you know sirius was harrys godfather' and they never do.

yes moodys eye was horrible! why the strap? random! i thought ( exept for the eye) he could have looked the part, however the persona they gave him wasnt really ' mad eye moddy' we see in the books, he was more like a mad man looking for laughs or soemthing

Old November 7th, 2006, 12:52 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
' mad eye moddy'
Yep, I too pine for the level headed Moddy of the novels. This movie version seems to be a tad unbalanced!

Old November 7th, 2006, 3:26 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoleweasley
yeah i get that all n stuff what i am saying is i know how much they will obviously cut out of OOTP so they should have put those scenes that ARE relevant to it in GOB as they should have been. however that is only my opinion and im saying this as a nitpicking book reader not as a movie critic.
How are they relevent? Ministry vs. Order is in OotP. It has no relevence to GoF. The story in GoF ends when Harry escapes the Graveyard. The #1 complaint from audiences about GoF was that the ending was too long. More needed to be cut, not added to it.

Old November 7th, 2006, 11:43 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4r6000 View Post
How are they relevent? Ministry vs. Order is in OotP. It has no relevence to GoF. The story in GoF ends when Harry escapes the Graveyard. The #1 complaint from audiences about GoF was that the ending was too long. More needed to be cut, not added to it.
im confused. all i was trynna say was that i think instead of putting poitnless scenes in there (learnign to dance etc) they should have put in things that matter to the plot. but that is as i said just my opinion....

Old November 8th, 2006, 12:58 am
Fourth Year

The learning to dance scene was related to the Yule Ball, which was central to the plot and the story.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies