Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What annoyed you most about GOF v3

Old June 28th, 2010, 12:33 am
First Year

Re: What annoyed you most about GOF v3

I probably don't even need to say this but 'angry Dumbledore.'

And can anyone say "hair cuts all around"? Everyone needed to go back to the hair and make-up trailers. No joke.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2010, 1:00 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Easy for them to say. For one thing they have no idea how much pain watching the movies causes me!

-eta-
Not to mention if they didn't add non-canonical scenes, they wouldn't have to cut the 'real' scenes!
First, no one's making you watch the films if they're that bad.

Second, yes they would. The Potter novels are tomes.

Old June 28th, 2010, 1:47 am
First Year

For me, it's the repeated theme. I love Patrick Doyle's score, but he had no idea for "dark" themes so he decided to play that six-note motif throughout the movie.

I also don't like that the second part of the movie (after the yule ball) is so dark and depressing.

But generally, GOF is my favorite movie after HBP. It's grandiose and emotional.

Old June 28th, 2010, 3:03 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWings View Post
I was very disappointed with the 4th movie. Many of the things that annoyed me have already been mentioned above...

-Dumbledore's freak-out seen COMPLETELY AWFUL
-I really don't like the whole hair-growing thing with Harry, Ron and the Twins
-Why does the maze try to eat the contestants? The tournament is designed to test the Champions on their knowledge and talents... not on how fast they can run
-Viktor Krum is not meant to be a Macho-Man.
-Barty Crouch Jr and his ''tongue-thing''... also his appearance at the start.
-The World Cup Match.
-Ludo Bagman and Winky were not included in the film.
-Hermione was meant to be dressed in BLUE at the Yule Ball.
-I'm not really sure whether or not Beaxbatons and Durmstrang are single-gender schools(please correct me if I'm wrong)
-''I Love Magic''
-SPEW wasn't mentioned.
-Harry acting ''cocky'' after obtaining the egg''.

To name a few lol

Nope, Beauxbatons and Durmstrang were NOT single-gendered school in the books. however, thats nothing major and doesnt bother me.

The world cup thing really disappointed me because i really wanted to see just a bit more of it. Maybe not the whole thing, but a bit more. Along with the winky stuff in the top box and afterward in the forest.

COS

Pottermore
Old June 28th, 2010, 4:13 am
Fifth Year

From what i recall, Durmstrang didnt bring girls with them in the books. Beauxbatons has a few boys but not a lot. That didnt bother me in the least in the movie.

Lack of Dobby, however did.

Dumbledore's out of character yelling.

No Winky.

Although i love David Tennant, his portrayal of Barty Crouch Jr was unorthadox at best.

That silliness before the Yule Ball with dance lessons.

The fact they cut out that really great scene with Karkaroff and Snape.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old June 28th, 2010, 4:57 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
From what i recall, Durmstrang didnt bring girls with them in the books. Beauxbatons has a few boys but not a lot. That didnt bother me in the least in the movie.
I'm 85% sure a Durmstrang girl was mentioned once and once only.

Old June 28th, 2010, 7:16 am
First Year

Quote:
probably my most least liked part of GoF. And all the info they got wrong. Like the Neville/Dobby mixup, (other things--Wrackspurt) etc. etc.

Old June 28th, 2010, 9:19 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActingDude17 View Post
I'm 85% sure a Durmstrang girl was mentioned once and once only.
You can make that 100%!

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old July 6th, 2010, 5:57 am
Second Year

The main thing I would like to have seen was Harry expressing disbelief when he found out that Moody put his name in the Goblet of Fire. Other than that, I still enjoy the movie very much.

Old July 7th, 2010, 11:27 pm
Seventh Year

I have to say GOF was one of my favourite books, but one of my least favourite films. Im not sure what it is, but for some reason I didn't like what the director had done, the atmosphere wasnt right for me but there were some good moments.
I love Gambon as Dumbledore, but I don't think anyone enjoy :'Did you put your name into the goblet of fiyaaa?' line. It just wasn't right.
Also the scene from the Quidditch World Cup, in the tent between Ron and the twins when they sing makes me cringe slightly. It's amusing but i think it could have been taken out.
Harry's hair was too long I definately prefer it shorter, I know he is supposed to have messy hair but Also Ron's hair needed a cut...
Harry's 'shall i open it?' after he gets the egg. It wasn't right i think.

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Old July 10th, 2010, 5:45 pm
Second Year

GOF the film is strange, because the book has one of the strongest narratives (which is basically Harry has to compete in the Triwizard tournament and discover who put his name in it) yet the film feels so directionless. The pace meanders and it never feels... comfortable in itself. I think that's down to the length of the book and Kloves... indecision.

- I didn't like Patrick Doyle's score
- I think Gambon, having been so great as Dumbledore in POA, made some missteps. Particularly the "did you put your name into the fire!?" scene
- Harry and Ron's bust up wasn't well done, not enough was put into it
- Emma's acting is at it's worst
- Newell is just so unexciting as a director, he can't inject any sort of life into a film
- I didn't like the way the film started at the Burrow, it felt rushed (but saying that all the films feel in a rush to get to Hogwarts)
- the ending. I like the Empire Strikes Back vibe, but it could have been better
- haircuts!
- no Ludo Bagman!
- not enough Sirius

I could go on because there's more =) Lot's more

I wouldn't feel so hacked off if these things weren't included in order to smooth the edges of the film, but the film isn't smooth. It feels rushed, incomplete and uneven.

Old July 10th, 2010, 7:25 pm
Second Year

I loved this movie! It was my second favorite after POA. The only things I disliked were

-lack of spew
-lack of winky
-ooc dumbledore

At first I didn't like that they had changed the color of Hermione's dress robes, but I think the pink suited Emma, nicely. Blue on her would have made the effect somehow less...stunning.
I liked the dance lessons. It was so funny how the girls jumped up all eager & the boys were dreading it. Oh, and I loved romantic!Neville. So cute!
Someone mentioned that they didn't like the music score, but I loved it. The GOF soundtrack is on my ipod! *blush*
I also liked that both the R/Hr ship and the H/Hr ship got some really shippy moments outta that movie. I thought that was very fair of them to do that.

Hermione turned and beamed at Harry; her eyes, too, were full of tears.
‘…then I declare you bonded for life.’

****(avatar by Gwendy. Uh-mazing Harry/Hermione fanartist. Even if you don't ship Harry/Hermione, you should check out her work. She's truly and amazingly talented).
Old July 10th, 2010, 8:22 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitsQuill View Post

And can anyone say "hair cuts all around"? Everyone needed to go back to the hair and make-up trailers. No joke.
Looing back at the hairstyles now, I feel that they are silly too. Though, at the time the movie was released, weren't those hairstyles for guys popular? The intent was probably to try to make these characters visually as relatable as possible without sacrificing the world the characters are supposed to be in.

Old July 10th, 2010, 8:39 pm
Fourth Year

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of the GoF movie is the bad hair! Haha everyone needed haircuts!
I didn't have a huge problem with Dumbledore but he was a bit out of character.
I don't like that the movie started out at the Burrow.
Winky wasn't there and Harry's wand never got stolen at the Cup.
No S.P.E.W. stuff.
Oh and the lack of Sirius was really annoying! I loved when the trio meet up with him in Hogsmeade.

Overall I still thought that GoF was a well done movie. Probably my second favorite (PoA being first).

Quote:
Dan's long, girly hair. In some scenes, he had it up properly and it looked fine, but in others... he just needed a cut. I liked it best in Prisoner of Azkaban.
I agree. his hair in PoA was perfect! They should have kept it like that for all the films.

Marauders' girl through and through.
Padfoot is my love

Last edited by Bella_Crucio_U; July 10th, 2010 at 8:41 pm.
Old July 10th, 2010, 8:51 pm
First Year

i didn't mind the hair that much though it shouldn't have been that long. (i hated his hair in the order of the pheonix and the hbp but it's started looking better in the last movie(that's kinda always how i imagined it and the same goes for the first four movies then it got really neat and ***** which didn't go along with the book)) AHH SOO MANY PARENTHESES!!!

Old July 10th, 2010, 8:58 pm
Fourth Year

Oh another part that I thought was super annying was when Harry was with neville and Ron, Hermione, and Ginny come over. The whole part with hermione passing on the message that hagrid was looking for Harry was awful! I hate that part!

Marauders' girl through and through.
Padfoot is my love

Old July 10th, 2010, 9:01 pm
First Year

i have to admit the long hair suited the twins the best. ron looked kinda -er- girly with the hair.

Old July 10th, 2010, 9:03 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Looing back at the hairstyles now, I feel that they are silly too. Though, at the time the movie was released, weren't those hairstyles for guys popular? The intent was probably to try to make these characters visually as relatable as possible without sacrificing the world the characters are supposed to be in.
I think the varying hairstyles throughout the series - most evident in GoF - are indicative of any adolescent aging. In most generations, there seems a certain time/age when long hair in males (or some particular hairstyle) seems to spike in popularity. I think GoF showed this with most of the male characters (the Weasley twins, Ron, and Harry being the most evident); in Harry's world, GoF was the time when that hair style was "in". Then, by OotP, they all matured and cut back their hair. However, I think the "long hair trend" in GoF definitely parallels the same trend occurring in our world at about the same time. If I remember correctly, the time GoF was released was when long hair for males was in style. Thus, I think it was partly the actors who decided to grow their hair, and the filmmakers allowed it to show the normal aging process. Again, this just adds to the relatability of the Harry Potter series, which was what made the books so popular in the first place.

However, I cannot pretend that it is irksome to watch GoF and see the ridiculous hair styles worn by Harry, Ron, and the Weasley twins (amongst others). In general, I think the films never captured Harry's hair: I think it was closest in CoS and PoA, but it always disappointed me that they could never manage the messy, untameable hair that Harry had in the books. I found this most annoying in GoF - though certainly not enough to completely distract me.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old July 12th, 2010, 12:27 am
Second Year

BARTY CROUCHES TOUNGE LICKING THINGG...GROOOOSSS! i hated that! and the haircuts, and the fact that there was no dobby. BUT MOSTLY BARTY CROUCH AND HIS CREEPY TOUNGEE

July 15,2011
<33333333333

Wit Beyond Measure is Mans Greatest Treasure
Old July 12th, 2010, 6:39 am
Sixth Year

So having just rewatched GoF today so my comments are fresh in my head:

Overall, I do like the film - there are certain scenes that I really like. I love the second task, underwaterscene and most of the graveyard.

The hair - not a problem for me. Overall, I thought Harry (Radcliffe) looked the best with PoA hair, but I'm a sucker for longer hair on guys, so it's all good.

Once again, you will never have a movie that visually shows book canon 100% of the time. It just won't happen. You have to take a movie at it's "face value" and evaluate it as such - it's an adaption.

That said...

What I don't like/get annoyed by:

1 --> The entrance of the Bauxbatons and Durmstrang students.
Really? If I were a school, I would be embarassed to see this. A little too choreagraphed and cheesy for me.

And I like a previous posted comments ("What, did woman's rights go back 100 years.")

2 --> Kinda like the previous comment - my lord, was Fleur weak. There seems to be a theme in HP films where Harry and others are just so weak. The only female character in the Triwizard tournament and that's all she could do? It's amazing she was actually a contender.

3 --> Moshing at Hogwarts? Really? Flitwick (Warwick Davis's character) moshing? Seriously? I was a teen/college kid during the Grunge era, and I can appreciate (and participated in) some good teenage angst and some nice moshing - but that...uh no. Just no.

It was so out of place and very cringe worthy.

4 --> Once again, the dumbing down of Harry. I just don't understand it. I really don't. I mean, yes I guess the movie makers want to appeal to the masses and young-in's and have a character that isn't offensive and whatever, but where is my "MoodyHarry". Where is my Harry that has some power and strength and resolve, etc. Actually, this comment is a complaint I have had for every movie. Which leads to....

5 --> Hey Harry. You can slip out from under that cool death statue that's "holding" you hostage. Really? Just pull your head back, and squeeze out from that sickle that's holding you in place. There's room, really. It's not like that statute is holding you tight.

Cool statue. Good atmosphere. Yet, how hard would it be to "conjure" vines or something to hold Harry in place (it's called CGI people). Then Voldemort could release those bonds with a nice flick of the wand (yo, CGI people, get working) and get to trying to kill Harry.

6 --> More graveyard. When one cuts off ones hand, there are consequences. Like, massive blood loss, and excruciating levels of pain, and like, serious damage. Really, even wizards probably don't calmly wander around with severed limbs. Try to look pained Wormtail, please?

7 --> Bathroom scene with Myrtle and Harry. Myrtle darling, could you not look so pleased when fondling the golden dragon's egg. It's a little too close to Harry's *ahem* private parts which are underaged and unclothed under water and seriously, it just creeps me out. The bath scene was actually good, except for Myrtle. She made it creepy.

Other than that, I do like GoF. Really, I do...:')

Bring it.

[image courtesy of ArryGrotter]

Last edited by MoodyHarry; July 12th, 2010 at 7:50 am. Reason: Spelling...
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies