Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies > The Casting Couch

Noticing HP Actors in Other Movies

Old January 28th, 2006, 11:41 pm
Second Year

Noticing HP Actors in Other Movies

Now that we have reached book six the vast majority of the characters have been introduced, and in some cases killed off. More over with the films teetering on the half-way-point many of the characters have been or are currently being casted. Though the younger characters are for the most part new to the the level that the Harry Potter films. However, those playing the adult characters are for the most part veterans of the screen.

So I am sitting here watching TNT and the broadcast of The Patriot. And I keep saying to myself there is something blatantly obvious about the actor playing the british Calvary officer in the way he looked and acted, but most importantly spoke. So I go to wikipedia.org and low and behold my suspicions are correct, he is played by none other than Jason Isaacs, and then after further digging, I realize that in my utmost stupidity, he was also in Armageddon as Dr. Ronald Quincy. In the Patriot his character's name is Col. William Tavington.

Any way here is my question, have you ever had one of these moments when you are watching a movie (live or animated) and you know you recognize one of the actors/actresses (by look or voice), who was also in one of the Harry Potter films, and you just can not put your finger on who they are, thus driving you crazy until you do figure out who that actor or actress is?

Last edited by runitsandrew; January 29th, 2006 at 3:03 am.
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2006, 11:47 pm
Second Year

Re: One of those "Duh" moments in whatching movies.

Yes. In fact, a few nights ago, I was watching Disney's "The Road to El Dorado" and I was listening to Miguel (the blond guy from Spain with the English accent) and I thought he sounded kind of familiar. I brushed it off as just coincidence because I'd seen the movie a bunch of times before, but then I was watching it on Media Player on my computer and Media Player showed "Kenneth Branagh" as one of the actors in this movie. I thought I had misread the name, but I looked on IMDB and, sure enough, Kenneth Branagh played the voice of Miguel, as well as Professor Lockhart in CoS. By the way, Kenneth doesn't seem to have signed up for a part in OotP, so I guess the Hospital scene is out, or at least his part in it... unless they get someone else to play Lockhart for that movie.

Undrhil

Wolf. I like my solitude. Take this quiz!

My new music video. Ron and Hermione - Everything I Do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzlQgNBNCs8

I resisted Lord Bunnymort and all I got was this stupid sig line.
Old January 29th, 2006, 12:16 am
Fourth Year

Hardly anybody has been listed for OOTP on IMDB yet. Just the trio and Jason Isaacs have "officially" signed up for the movie according to that site.

Old January 29th, 2006, 12:42 am
Second Year

I was watching the film "Galaxy Troopers", a sci-fi comedy once. This was after SS/PS was released. When Alan Rickman's character appeared, I realized who he was and I started squealing and pointing at the screen! I was like "That's Snape!"

Old January 29th, 2006, 1:01 am
Second Year

ROFL. Rupert Grint in the Thunderpants trailer. I watched it for a minute and then when his name came up i was like, WHAT THE-!

He looked so nerdy

Also Arthur Weasley was in an advertisement. I only realized it was him at the end.

Old January 29th, 2006, 1:03 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvadaKediggles
I was watching the film "Galaxy Troopers", a sci-fi comedy once. This was after SS/PS was released. When Alan Rickman's character appeared, I realized who he was and I started squealing and pointing at the screen! I was like "That's Snape!"
Huh? Do you mean Galaxy Quest? Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

Old January 29th, 2006, 2:23 am
Second Year

Oh I meant "Galaxy Quest." sorry.

Old January 29th, 2006, 2:50 am
Second Year

Ok, tis is. Worry, you must not.

Old January 29th, 2006, 3:38 am
Third Year

Re: Noticing HP Actors in Other Movies

when I watch "Dragonheart" I know John Isaacs played on that movie right after his character came up. But when I saw King Einon he looked familiar. I wait 'till the credit and name "David Thewlis" came up. He played Lupin in PoA

Old January 29th, 2006, 3:50 am
Second Year

A long time ago I saw "Sister Act" on T.V. and I noticed that the head nun was no other than the lady that played as Professor McGongle. I also noticed that she has played in a lot of other movies but I cant remember the names of them right now.

Old January 29th, 2006, 3:57 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by arachibutyro3
A long time ago I saw "Sister Act" on T.V. and I noticed that the head nun was no other than the lady that played as Professor McGongle. I also noticed that she has played in a lot of other movies but I cant remember the names of them right now.
thats the only one ive noticed too

"What's comin' will come, an' we'll meet it when it does." - Hagrid

"Well, I had one that I was playing Quidditch the other night," said Ron, screwing up his face in an effort to remember. "What do you think that means?"
"Probably that you're going to be eaten by a giant marshmallow or something," said Harry, turning the pages of The Dream Oracle without interest.
Old January 29th, 2006, 4:13 am
Fourth Year

Oh, definitely, it's happened to me a lot when I didn't realise the same actors who are in the Harry Potter movies were also in a different movie. Mostly with Alan Rickman and Maggie Smith.

Narnia: It's magic.
Old January 29th, 2006, 4:15 am
Fourth Year

In "Chicken Run" Timothy Spall (Peter Pettigrew) does the voice of one of the rats. He was also in "A Series of Unfortunate Events" as the attorney who is in charge of the kids.

Alan Rickman (Snape) has done lots of movies including Die Hard, Galaxy Quest, Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves, and many many more....

Michael Gambon (Dumbledore) played the General in "Toys" with Robin Williams. He also plays the editor in "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow".

Gary Oldman was in "Bram Stoker's Dracula", "Batman Begins", "Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead", "The Fifth Element", "Lost in Space", and many more.

Robert Hardy (Cornelius Fudge) was in BBC's "All Creatures Great and Small" series.

And Maggie Smith's (McGonnagal's) resume is so long that you would be better off just to go to www.imdb.com/search and look her up!

Last edited by piky; January 29th, 2006 at 4:24 am.
Old January 29th, 2006, 4:22 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by piky
Alan Rickman (Snape) has done lots of movies including Die Hard, Galaxy Quest, Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves, and many many more....

Gary Oldman was in "Bram Stoker's Dracula", "Batman Begins", "Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead", "The Fifth Element", "Lost in Space", and many more.

And Maggie Smith's (McGonnagal's) resume is so long that you would be better off just to go to www.imdb.com/search and look her up!
These three I knew from before HP ever came out, Alan Rickman I'd seen in all of those (cept HG to the Galaxy as it wasn't out yet), and I'm a big Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves fan so I've always seen Rickman as a baddy. And don't forget he played in Love Actually, along with Emma Thompson.

As for Oldman, I knew him from the Fifth Element and I honestly can't see him as a good character ever since, and even as Sirius, even though I know how good he is, he creeps me out!

And I actually knew Daniel Radcliffe before he started playing in HP. I remember when they were starting the casting, there was an article that said it was between Daniel Radcliffe and Haley Joel Osment (back when Spielberg was considered as director and American actors were being considered) and I can't remember who I though would be best for the role, but I knew Daniel from "David Copperfield", in which Maggie Smith played too.

Oh and I saw Julie Walters in "Calendar Girls! Not quite the same type of movie as Harry Potter!

Old January 29th, 2006, 4:26 am
First Year

yeah, happened to me watchin "Love Actually" lol, i was like....hold on..is that...snape??

lol...he;s funny as in that movie

"And at the end of the third, It's the Mavs 61, Kobe 62"
"Kobe Bryant scored a career high 62 points in 3 quarters against the mavericks in a 112-90 win on Dec 20th 2005, only to out-do his career high again on January 22 2006 by scoring 81 points in a come-from-behind win over the Toronto Raptors."
Old January 29th, 2006, 4:50 am
First Year

Gary Oldman is in "Batman Begins"??!? What scene?! I don't remember seeing him.

Old January 29th, 2006, 5:42 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgado
He is Comissioner Gordon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piky
In "Chicken Run" Timothy Spall (Peter Pettigrew) does the voice of one of the rats. He was also in "A Series of Unfortunate Events" as the attorney who is in charge of the kids.

Michael Gambon (Dumbledore) played the General in "Toys" with Robin Williams. He also plays the editor in "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow".

Robert Hardy (Cornelius Fudge) was in BBC's "All Creatures Great and Small" series.

Spall as a rat in Chicken Run, did not know that. Regardless, talk about irony.

Last edited by Master_Yoda; January 29th, 2006 at 5:47 am.
Old January 29th, 2006, 5:44 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgado
He plays Lt. Jim Gordon, who later becomes Comissioner Gordon....

......Oops - I was about 2 minutes too late.

Last edited by piky; January 29th, 2006 at 5:47 am.
Old January 29th, 2006, 7:47 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladam24
yeah, happened to me watchin "Love Actually" lol, i was like....hold on..is that...snape??

lol...he;s funny as in that movie
Saw him there as well, my mom likes him.. Professor trelawney was there to.. Snape's wife, to be exact.. At first I didn't notice, I just saw it in the credits..

Old January 29th, 2006, 7:55 am
Fifth Year

well she is about to be a hp actor so i'm going to say Imelda Staunton. I love her as the nurse in Shakespeare in Love. Today I saw Nanny McPhee and she is the cook in that! I really like her. And Emma Thompson is in that too!! She was very good. I remember her in Much Ado About Nothing with Professor Lockhart, er Hamlet, er Kenneth Branagh. I wish Derek Jacobi would get a role in the movies, i just love him (not sure who he could possible be though )

"I want to do it properly," were the first words of which Harry was fully conscious of speaking. "Not by magic. Have you got a spade?" ...He dug with a kind of fury, relishing the manual work, glorying in the non-magic of it, for every drop of his sweat and every blister felt like a gift to the elf who had saved their lives. ...Harry wrapped the elf more snugly in his jacket. Ron sat on the edge of the grave and stripped off his shoes and socks, which he placed upon the elf's bare feet. Dean produced a woolen hat, which Harry placed carefully upon Dobby's head, muffling his batlike ears. ..."There," she said softly. "Now he could be sleeping." Harry placed the elf into the grave, arranged his tiny limbs so that he might have been resting... ...Here lies Dobby, a free elf.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies > The Casting Couch