Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies > The Casting Couch

Alan Rickman as Severus Snape v3

Old November 3rd, 2007, 5:10 am
Mad Hatter

Alan Rickman as Severus Snape v3

Thread Rules1. Please treat other members with respect. There will be no bashing of other members or their ideas. If you disagree with somone please do so without condescension or bickering.
2. Staff reserves the right to ban members from this thread either permanently or temporarily if we feel they are not following these rules. You will be given a warning via owl or via official warning points before you are asked to leave the thread.

For reference:

Alan Rickman as Severus Snape v2

As always, this thread is for the discussion of the actor, Alan Rickman, and his portrayal of Severus Snape. Please only discuss his role in the Harry Potter films. Warnings can be given for anything off topic.

Please continue!

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2007, 6:16 am
Second Year

Re: Alan Rickman as Severus Snape v3

Did you know, that his drawl actually comes from a speech impediment? I found that today. Also, i found out that he flinches when a gun recoils and that is why they only show him shotting a gun once in Die Hard, because he kept flinching. I thought that was cool. He also only got the role of Snape after Tim Roth backed out.

Old November 8th, 2007, 5:29 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Yeah, apparently when Alan Rickman was a child, he had a speech disability, where his lower jaw was very tight. It made his words indistinctive and muffled. He still kinda has a slight speech impediment but it makes his voice even more distincitive! Watching him when he plays the part of Severus Snape his jaw does look awkward when he opens his mouth wide or has to shout, I have wondered if it's painful at all. He does the whispering Snape brilliantly, barely moves his mouth but his voice still carries. Must be all that theatre work!

Last edited by Annielogic; December 14th, 2007 at 7:42 pm. Reason: Extra words
Old November 8th, 2007, 6:01 pm
Second Year

I think he's just perfect for Snape! Alan Rickman must choose parts where he doesn't have to shout or ... well move his jaw too much. Though I haven't seen that much Alan Rickman so I couldn't really say.

I couldn't belive they nearly took Tim Roth (after looking at some pictures ^^) instead of him ...

James & Lily
Hermione & Ron - Luna & Trevor
u2 & Nirvana - Green Day & The White Stripes
The Doctor & Me.

A Little Bit Of Fanart
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, Harry, and forget to live." - Dumbledore PS Film
Old November 8th, 2007, 6:10 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

I'm so glad they chose Alan Rickman for the part aswell. I had listened to the audio books up to Ootp before I saw the films. Alan Rickman just fit the image I had in my head so well! Voice is wonderful! Also, the characters are described in the book with a slight cartoonish quality to them because certain features are exaggerated I guess. Alan Rickman makes Snape very human.

Old November 9th, 2007, 7:02 pm
Seventh Year

Cool, I think I've found the least controversial thread ever.

Watching Alan Rickman as Snape is one of my favorite things about the films. What he can do with a syllable, most actors only wish they could do with a speech (Never has the line "Turn to page 394" been so menacing. ) He's just so compelling, I wish there was more of him. Of course, I say that about a lot of the actors, but it's true. I definitely admire his ability to say much so with so little, and I think it serves him very well here.

I'm also quite sure that after HBP, people who haven't read the books (provided they haven't been told the ending of DH) will leave the theater as anxious to learn Snape's allegiances as us book readers! God, I can't wait to see what he does with his 'The Prince's Tale' scenes.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; November 15th, 2007 at 11:42 pm.
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:39 am
Second Year

Just re-watched the Occlumency scenes in OotP. That on top of Jason Isaac`s portraylal of Lucius Malfoy, it really is very distracting. Need I say more?!?

Old November 15th, 2007, 10:02 pm
Second Year

I hated Snape while reading about him in the books. JKR, IMO, makes him a very loathsome character. I found myself liking him while watching the movies and wondered if I liked Alan Rickman not Severus Snape. I wonder if I would have felt the same if someone like Wormtail played the movie version of Snape?

Old November 15th, 2007, 10:27 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

I think Alan Rickman has the wonderful ability of bringing forward the mystery of his chosen characters. He does draw you in, look beneath the surface and make you wonder what's going on in this characters mind. He definitely has this gift.

Old November 15th, 2007, 10:58 pm
Second Year

In many of the movie reviews I've read, Alan Rickman is often referred to as a scene stealer.
After I read some of the posts, I also wondered if male fans, other than those of Dumbledore's persuasion, felt the same in regard to how they thought of Snape in the book and on screen.

Old November 15th, 2007, 11:09 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

I think IenjoyAcidPops rather hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
Watching Alan Rickman as Snape is one of my favorite things about the films. What he can do with a syllable, most actors only wish they could do with a speech (Never has the line "Turn to page 394" been so menacing. .)
Highlighted words by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
his ability to say much so with so little, and I think it serves him very well here.
Alan Rickman is able to put so much into so little. Even if it's just a facial expression or body movement. Like when Umbridge in the Great Hall giggled, Snape eyes widen and the way he slowly looked around at her, was great.

Old November 15th, 2007, 11:09 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielogic View Post
Yeah, when Alan Rickman was a child, he had a speech disability, where his lower jaw was very tight. It made his words indistinctive and muffled. He still kinda has a slight speech impediment but it makes his voice even more distincitive! Watching him when he plays the part of Severus Snape his jaw does look awkward when he opens his mouth wide or has to shout, I have wondered if it's painful at all. He does the whispering Snape brilliantly, barely moves his mouth but his voice still carries. Must be all that theatre work!
Just an FYI: Alan Rickman has stated that this speech impediment story is a myth. He isn't a fan of the book that was written about him - I assume that's where it came from .

Old November 15th, 2007, 11:14 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bscorp View Post
Just an FYI: Alan Rickman has stated that this speech impediment story is a myth. He isn't a fan of the book that was written about him - I assume that's where it came from .
Yes a book, also some other reports around on the internet. Have you got a link or know where Alan Rickman says it's a myth? Just shows, you can't believe everything you read.

Old November 15th, 2007, 11:18 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielogic View Post
Even if it's just a facial expression or body movement. Like when Umbridge in the Great Hall giggled, Snape eyes widen and the way he slowly looked around at her, was great.

Oh, I didn't catch that one! Okay, now I wanna watch OotP again.

Old November 16th, 2007, 6:59 am
First Year

Ever since I saw the first movie, whenever Rickman is in a scene, either talking or doing little to nothing in the back, I always watch him to see what he does. He's that good.

Old November 16th, 2007, 7:16 am
Third Year

Alan Rickman is brilliant.

I could never imagine anyone else to play Snape better than him. He nails the character and then some. It's amazing how he can put so much power into a simple phrase or word.
His facial expressions are genius. If looks could kill, he'd definitely murder our faces (ignore that lame sentence. ).
I'm anxious to see him in HBP and even more anxious to see him in DH.

Old November 16th, 2007, 10:53 am
Sixth Year

You know, in the books you don't begin to think of Snape's background till PoA. I just thought him a bad guy with a nasty temper and strange manias about Harry till I watched Rickman in the movies. Then I realized that Snape actually was a tortured soul. He manages to give so so expressive bits of the character just with a look or a gesture... And he did it before JKR wrote DH and revealed us Snape's true story!

I don't know you, but when I see Rickman in the HP movies I can't think of him as an actor playing Snape, but as Snape himself. That happens very seldom (for me, only four times, counting Mr Rickman-Snape)

It doesn't mean that he isn't great in almost anything he decides to interprete. But this thread is just for the HP movies.

Old November 16th, 2007, 11:02 am
Second Year

I think the reason people like Alan as Snape is because he makes Snape more human, frankly, in the books everything is from Harry's viewpoint, hooked nose and sallow skin, greasy hair doesn't actually make a person ugly, IM humble O, .
At the movies, the audience doesn't have Harry's viewpoint, and we can see Snape more objectively as a person, if they wanted him to be terribly terribly nasty to Harry, there was plenty of opportunity, but this isn't the case, yes Alan isn't Mr. Affectionate, but he does give the impression that there is more to Snape than meets the eye, and he isn't just this nasty evil teacher, he does have things to worry about like protecting Harry and other students, and being a spy as well. Snape is always under constant pressure and usually pretty tense and I think AR portrays that really well....

Old November 30th, 2007, 11:06 pm
First Year

He's perfect for snape! He has that expressionless face and his jaw only moves a tiny bit to let out his words. he has got the look of Snape as I read in the books but the snape in the films, he looks more intimidating!

Old November 30th, 2007, 11:55 pm
Third Year

Alan Rickman is the BEST EVER!!!!!!!!!! I love him, I wish the films would include him more.

“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together...there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...I'll always be with you.”

“Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known."

"Whether you come back by page or by screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home."
- J.K. Rowling

TrueLove...ForbiddenLove
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies > The Casting Couch