Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

"separated by a common language"

Old August 8th, 2008, 6:02 pm
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising

Re: "separated by a common language"

Check out staff under 18 here have to check with an older person in Britain - it's to stop them selling to underage people they know - whether willingly or because of intimidation.

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2008, 6:18 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Having worked part-time in retail in high school I know that, if left unattended in a bottle shop, I would have sold booze to my mates and anyone bigger than me.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 9th, 2008, 3:07 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundungus Fletc View Post
Check out staff under 18 here have to check with an older person in Britain - it's to stop them selling to underage people they know - whether willingly or because of intimidation.
It's the same for anything with an age rating, you have to be 18 to sell cinema tickets or 18 rated movies.

Old August 9th, 2008, 4:23 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pox Voldius View Post
So that term would include grocery stores? Or do your supermarkets not sell alcohol?
(the ones in my neighborhood generally have at least one or two whole aisles devoted to the stuff)
The closest grocery store to me doesn't sell alcohol at all. As for places like Wal-Mart, they card you, and no one is allowed to go to self-checkout with alcoholic beverages. I'm under the impression that it's pretty strict here where alcohol is concerned, although, I could be wrong.

That aside, I know people under 21 (US) who can sell alcohol in grocery stores, just as long as they check identification, just like with cigarettes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Having worked part-time in retail in high school I know that, if left unattended in a bottle shop, I would have sold booze to my mates and anyone bigger than me.
Even if the store had cameras? I don't think you could get away with that in some parts of the US, especially with all the cameras around in the stores.

Old August 9th, 2008, 4:40 pm
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
Even if the store had cameras? I don't think you could get away with that in some parts of the US, especially with all the cameras around in the stores.
Heh, I had forgotten about those -- got too used to them. We have a Ralphs grocery store that has like 2 aisles of booze, but they've also got at least one security camera for each and every aisle in the store!

Old September 5th, 2008, 11:38 am
Sixth Year

You mean you could buy booze under the age of 18?

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old September 5th, 2008, 3:21 pm

No, they have booze on the shelves in the grocery store, but they card you when you get to the checkout. And they have these big plastic things over the tops of the bottles that the checkout clerk has to use a special tool to remove, and they don't remove them until they've verified that you're at least 21.

Old September 5th, 2008, 3:43 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
No, they have booze on the shelves in the grocery store, but they card you when you get to the checkout. And they have these big plastic things over the tops of the bottles that the checkout clerk has to use a special tool to remove, and they don't remove them until they've verified that you're at least 21.
Isn't that more to do with security and preventing people stealing them?

Also what is the law in America about under 21s going into pubs? I know the law is really confusing here and certainly not evenly applied, there are plenty of places which accept no under 18s inside at all but then a lot which will willingly allow under 18s to go in and drink there.

Old September 5th, 2008, 5:58 pm
Definitely not Fourth Year (that's a bit boring)

We've heard (recently) all about hockey-mums - sorry moms - please someone, tell me what the phrase describes.

Old September 5th, 2008, 6:46 pm

Here's an interesting article on types of "hockey moms":
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news...ockey_mom.html

Also note that the hockey being referred to is ice hockey.

Old September 5th, 2008, 7:04 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Not everywhere do they have this. I've never seen anything like the tops over the bottles like you're describing, having lived in the South my entire life. Could you link a picture maybe?

"I am having that kind of day where if the winds blow in a different direction, I am reduced to a gelatinous mass of tear-soaked silly-putty, caterwauling in a heap until someone spoon-feeds me chocolate and tells me I'm pretty."

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Old September 5th, 2008, 7:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheree View Post
Not everywhere do they have this. I've never seen anything like the tops over the bottles like you're describing, having lived in the South my entire life. Could you link a picture maybe?
Grr... I'm trying a Google Image search and coming up empty-handed.

Maybe it was just the Ralphs grocery stores in the part of Los Angeles that I was living in that had those... unfortunately, as I have recently moved about 2,000 miles from there, I can't exactly go into that store and snap a picture

Though... the plastic tops in question looked something like this, but a bit more upside-down-cup-shaped, and they covered the entire top of the bottle so that you couldn't open it:

Old September 5th, 2008, 9:49 pm
Fifth Year

Sorry to flog a dead horse, but on the topic of "meat pies" I can't believe no one mentioned pork pies and gala pies. They are smaller than most pies and have a distinctive shape. A gala pie is the same as a pork pie but has a boiled egg in the middle (I have no idea how they get that in there - it's one of life's mysteries) and is generally rectangular rather than round. Here are a couple of pictures:

Pork Pie Slice:

Whole Pork Pie:

Gala Pie (not a very good picture but the only one I could find):

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old September 5th, 2008, 11:05 pm
Snape Lover

That's pretty crazy! I've never eaten anything like that. Pot pies are mostly gravy and veggies and air inside. That almost looks like Spam.

I just stumbled upon a recipe for Scotch eggs the other day. I'd never heard of them before, hard boiled egg surrounded by ground sausage and bread crumbs. I guess it's no worse for you than eating them separately, but wow!

As for the alcohol, I couldn't find a picture of the security cap things either, but I think it's on the majority of liquor. I don't think they put them on wine though, maybe it's only certain businesses that do it or a California law?

Last edited by kala_way; September 5th, 2008 at 11:09 pm.
Old September 5th, 2008, 11:06 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Though... the plastic tops in question looked something like this, but a bit more upside-down-cup-shaped, and they covered the entire top of the bottle so that you couldn't open it:
Are you sure that was a security thing not just for measuring a shot? I've seen some vodka and other spirit bottles which have shot measures on top for when you come to mixing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
I just stumbled upon a recipe for Scotch eggs the other day. I'd never heard of them before, hard boiled egg surrounded by ground sausage and bread crumbs. I guess it's no worse for you than eating them separately, but wow!
There is something distinctly Scottish about the vile gas that builds up between the egg and the sausage, you know if one has been left past its sell by date as soon as you bite into it and it emits a little puff of of rotten egg and sausage smell.

Last edited by unconvinced; September 5th, 2008 at 11:10 pm.
Old September 5th, 2008, 11:27 pm
Snape Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by unconvinced View Post
Are you sure that was a security thing not just for measuring a shot? I've seen some vodka and other spirit bottles which have shot measures on top for when you come to mixing them.
No they are security devices because they're removed by the stores like those ink tags they put on clothes. I've never bought one so I'm not exactly sure how they go about it, probably some special tool.

EDIT: Found one! Actually this person was trying to get it off because the store forgot to remove it

Quote:
Originally Posted by unconvinced View Post
There is something distinctly Scottish about the vile gas that builds up between the egg and the sausage, you know if one has been left past its sell by date as soon as you bite into it and it emits a little puff of of rotten egg and sausage smell.

Barf!

Last edited by kala_way; September 5th, 2008 at 11:32 pm.
Old September 6th, 2008, 1:07 am

Quote:
No they are security devices because they're removed by the stores like those ink tags they put on clothes. I've never bought one so I'm not exactly sure how they go about it, probably some special tool.

EDIT: Found one! Actually this person was trying to get it off because the store forgot to remove it
LOL! Nice! *snerk*

Okay, now what search terms did you use to find that picture? I was searching forever and couldn't find anything!

Old September 6th, 2008, 1:33 am
Snape Lover

Quote:
LOL! Nice! *snerk*

Okay, now what search terms did you use to find that picture? I was searching forever and couldn't find anything!
I figured it would have to be an individual posting it and a regular person wouldn't post it under 'alcohol safety device' or anything so I tried different types of alcohol--'vodka security cap' did the trick
Actually if you put that into yahoo images the person posted several pics of them trying to get it off (there's cursing on the site though so I didn't want to link to it)

Old September 6th, 2008, 2:47 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
As for the alcohol, I couldn't find a picture of the security cap things either, but I think it's on the majority of liquor. I don't think they put them on wine though, maybe it's only certain businesses that do it or a California law?
I live in central California and I've never seen anything like that on any bottle of alcohol. They just card you when you check out--no security caps here.

Old September 6th, 2008, 6:08 am

Hrm... then it must be a Los Angeles thing... city ordinance, maybe?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives