Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Old September 10th, 2007, 5:17 am
Banned

Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Day 2 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozenone View Post
'The Dark Lord Shall Rise Again'...I couldn't of said it better myself and that's one of my favorite lines in the movie series. I still laugh when I see Wormtail trailing the bone up the tombstone because originally they thought Voldemort 's father was the first name when it actuality it was his grandfathers name. Needless to say the whole Flesh, Bone, and Blood thing really came across well I think. I wondered how they would handle Wormtail cutting off his hand and I think cutting to Harry's reacting to it but getting a clear idea of what just happened was perfect.
The scary thing is that they actually showed a bit of the hand just going up into the air. I should get a screencap of it if it is alright with the mods.
Quote:
The smoke becoming Voldemort's wadrobe is also a favorite thing of mine and just seeing him test out his new body....breathing in for the first time...opening is eyes...was done sooooo well. One thing I wish they would've done was to show Wormtail in more pain, I mean jeez he cut off his hand, but the focus is on Ralph once he takes the screen that you don't notice. The entrace of the Death Eaters was a genius idea imo and that form of apparation comes to play in the finale of Order of the Phoenix aswell.
What's neat about the whole smoke thing is that they managed to take the twist of black smoke apparation with the black hat and white hat idea with Cowboys in OoTP. Sure it's a bit cheesy, but I thought it was a pretty nice imaginative twist.
Quote:
I'm not even sure I'm supposed to talking about this whole scene so forgive me Darwin if I'm going ahead (Feel free to send a Cruciatus curse my way and I'll shut up) Prior Incantatum was a scene I remember liking since first viewing. To me though, it seemed like Voldemort wasn't particularly clueless to what was going on. I loved how he stopped Lucius and the others from attacking Harry since he wanted to finish him and I think the music in this bit was the best in the whole scene. I won't lie, I felt my eyes get a little moist when his parents appeared beside him. Maybe it was the music, but I thought it was done beautifully. I like the sound the wands were making aswell and the kinda lava effect the spell had. HOw Cedric told Harry to take his body back...wow...I agree with Darwin the kid is good. He did so much with so little of a line. Well as we all know Harry breaks the connection, runs to Cedric's body and swoosh he's out of there with a touch of the portkey. I couldn't help but chuckle at Voldemorts scream of defeat since for some reason it reminded me of Darth Vaders horrible "Nooooooo" at the end of Episode Three when I first saw it
It doesn't matter becuase it includes that as well.

In terms of the SFX, there were good things with the black smoke. It is a bit heavy handed, almost ninja like but what I liked about that idea is it provided the audience with a feeling of urgency of the Death Eaters returning. It just shows how quick they appeared as opposed to just popping in. Although not canon I do hope that in some capacity they'll keep the smoke effects a bit more muted in DH since I doubt it'd be so funny to see the Trio just go up in smoke everytime they apparate.

As for the magic, it didn't look as pretty as JKR described, but I like it. Although one problem is that it certainly does far too SFXy at times. The transformation of Voldemort for instance and the statue grabbing Harry. I almost wish that Harry would struggle and sort of get loose to have the statue actually restrain him a bit more; just to show that magic is move alive than static. It is kind of annoying because when Voldemort releases Harry, the arm with the scythe just sort of hinges down like it was a release lock mechanism. I guess it matters since it is the action movie of Harry Potter for the time so it's hard to say whether it was appropriate or inapproriate. It does certainly does some amazing things. Priori Incantatem was infinitely better than what I could ever imagine. I loved how the magic was so liquid, almost alive between Harry and Voldemort. I was glad that not everything was so direct at times such as the golden cage.

The ghost versions of the characters, it does the job. Nothing special really, but it certainly didn't make it look cheap. Other than regarding the SFX, I never noticed that obviously looked like it was shot in a studio until people brought it up. It does bring up a point, almost wishing there were some more scenic shots of the entire field, but at the same time this was a personal and very close knit thing. There's no escape and this trap is very much a trap. There are few places where Harry can hide.

Basically it's this scene that makes me kind of excited of what magic can do. Even though Cuaron did well, I think some of the concepts and visuals for magic here were done better in their own respect. There are just some things that just exceeded my expectations or even changed my perception of what it should look like and just made it better in general. You could feel the energy in the air.

Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2007, 8:23 am
Fourth Year

Yeah I agree about the statue holding Harry thing. It's like seriously it looks like he could just slide from under the thing while Voldemort was preoccupied talking to the Death Eaters...quietly creep over to Cedrics body and SWOOSH back to Hogwarts. I did think that it looked alot like a set, but for some reason when I watched the scene last night it didn't stand out as bad that's why I didn't mention it. Maybe I got used to it.

Could this scene have been creepier? Absolutly and I"m sure someone like Cauron would've done wonders for it (And I can't help but imagine the score John Willaims would've done *shivers*), but Mike Newell has been over the top for most of the movie, why stop now? The editing however is a little sloppy in certain parts of the scene. I don't know if you notice but at the beginning of Prior Incantatum when Harry and Voldemort's wand meet they're both holding it with one hand. There's a close up of the spell connecting and we see Harry grip it with two, then it cuts back out and Harry's holding it with one hand again and then grips it with two hehehe. (Oh yeah and as a nod to the earlier post about the editing in the Pensieve scene, I did notice that in one cut Dumbledore is looking straight ahead while talking to Harry, then the scene cuts to Dumbledore kinda kneeled down talking directly to him....yes I have no life lol)

Also does anyone else laugh at the little scream Voldemort gives as he's dropped into the cauldron by Pettigrew?

BTW I don't think they're going to use the smoke effect much in DH because look at how they treated it in the case of Fred and George. I'm guessing you have to reach a certain 'level' perhaps to become all smokey. I think something simple like the effect they used with Dobby in the 2nd movie would work, slighty smokey but not to the effect of the Death Eaters (Or even the Order).

I forgot to mention the effect of removing Ralph Fiennes nose...I will say this, they did a great job with it. One thing I love about the transformation is you see his face slowly coming together and it makes it all the more real imo. I betcha ole Voldemort was angry once he looked in the mirror and realized he's missing a nose lol. I also LOVE the way he holds his wand, its so....snakelike! I thought it was awesome that he was left handed and he didn't just hold his wand, it was like an extension of him.

Old September 10th, 2007, 10:18 am
Fifth Year

This whole graveyard bit is a mixed bag. In terms of the technical aspect of the scene, it's fairly bad. Obviously done on a soundstage, too much fog, a bland musical score that doesn't really have a haunting/terrifying feeling. The music never gives you the sheer terror from the book, that the most evil wizard ever is being reborn in front of our eyes, and Harry is most likely going to die, that a new war is coming. The music is just a bit tense.

Acting is OK, it's obvious the studio forced Newell to tone down Ralph Fiennes, as the stuff in the final cut is extremely tame compared to how he was acting in a lot of the behind the scenes footage. I remember one line he did which was "The Lord giveth,and the Lord taketh away!" along with a terrifying scowl. Clearly, for all their wittering about this being the darkest film at the time, it's clear they are unwilling to risk a rating higher than 12A (Is it PG-13 in America?), and as a result the scene loses a lot of impact. Dan Radcliffe is OK, Pettigrew is a bit too pleased, the DEs are OK, the apparating was done well, but I always think it strange to have Lucius towering over Voldemort. Newell should have framed that differently, because it makes Lucius look a little too forward, and a little too fearless, and Voldemort rather less than intimidating.

I thought Priori Incantatem was done well, the effect looked good, with that goop flying everywhere and the rumble of the beams connecting, the ghosts looked OK, a lot like the patronuses from OOTP, and I think that part is lit well, some nice colours and it's also well shot. A lot better than the pathetic re-use of this effect in OOTP, where there's almost no rumbling sound, no real wide angle on the beams connecting, and an abundance of close-up. The shot where Voldemort stares up at the ghosts flying from his wand is great. All in all this scene is pretty good, certainly among the best in the movie, but I think the set, the music and the tame version of Voldemort drag it down a lot.

Old September 10th, 2007, 5:04 pm
Second Year

Darn, I've lost a few scenes here. Been busy.

I love the graveyeard scene. One of my favourite scene sin the movie. Fiennes surprised me as Voldemort, yet I guess no one could have acted Voldemort like I saw him in my head.

When I got used to him, though, I found him to be wonderful. Brilliant portrayal of Voldemort. I didn't like that they removed the red eyes, but when I heard the reasoning behind it, I sort of understood it. And when he says "I want to see the light leave your eyes", I always gets chills down my back.

I love Dan in this scene, though. I think he is wonderful. The Prior Incantatem-scene was gorgeous. Eerie, yet beautiful. "Take my body back to my father" chokes me up.

Old September 11th, 2007, 5:32 am
Second Year

The graveyard scene was great..I thought Fiennes did an awesome job as Voldemort, and also wished they would've kept the red eyes it would've made him that much more scary. I think Radcliffe also did a good job he really has improved from that point in portraying Harry. The Prior Incantatem to me was emotional just the way Harry is watching and listening to Cedric and his parents.

Like some of you said, it was a creepy yet beautiful scene.

Old September 11th, 2007, 7:26 am
Banned

Discussion Day 3

Last day for discussion. I think I basically covered most things. One last thing I forgot to cover (which others have) was the music. Even though I don't have a natural ear for music unless it stands out or is pretty darn catchy (insert He's a Pirate remix 2007) Wimsey stated how Priori Incantatem actually had the music follow the fight pretty well. How Harry managed to start beating Voldemort the music changed subtley.

Other than that I really don't have much else to say. While the whole affair IMHO reeks of Hollywoodiness, it still is a spectacular scene to watch mainly because of Fienne's performance, despite it's obviously flaws as pointed by the more observant members. I seriously think this was one of those must see moments in cinematic history because it's just such a great performance even if the rest of the film has it fair share of hiccups.

It does bring up did most people like what occured? I mean this is one of the most pivotal (if not THE pivotal) moment in the Harry Potter series, do you think that even from a film sense or adaption sense they managed to convey the seriousness of Voldemort's return? Or did it seems to fall a bit flat as to the escape from the baddie syndrome that they have since the beginning of the series? The book made the graveyard scene cumlativly more epic and grand than the 3 tasks combined, but do you think that being a film, did it translate the same sort of monumental moment as well?

Me personally, I think kind of and kind of not. Mainly for what occurs post-Voldie return, there's never a sense of success on Harry's part nor is there a real sense of failure. Instead there isn't any real presence of his return overshadowed by the potential fight for the future which indeed was a poor set up for the next film. Regardless I think it's great that it does make me come back each and every single time to see Fiennes just rip it up as Voldemort. But enough of that, that's for the next chapter. Upwards and onwards.

Old September 11th, 2007, 5:44 pm
Second Year

I feel the same. Kind of and kind of not. I think PoA, GoF and OotP all made that same mistake - they throw in important issues just to ignore it for the rest of the movie. How are the audience going to get that it is important? I think they should have included the "Parting of the ways". It was very important, and it would have shown the seriousness of it all better.

Old September 11th, 2007, 7:35 pm
Fourth Year

I agree. That's one thing I don't like about this movie. For half the movie there is no mention of Voldemort at ALL. Sure there's this big tournament...but they could've focused on Harry's scar more. The build up just wasn't there to me..it's like Voldemort, Task, Yule Ball, Task, Task, Voldemort. Instead of having the continuous feeling throughout the film that...maybe he's coming back? I think the scene could've been so much stronger if throughout the film you got the feeling that something was brewing, even though we didn't know what.

Old September 11th, 2007, 7:45 pm
Zonko's Employee

Well, a lot of the deleted scenes were about Harry's scar hurting and the trio wondering more about who is behind putting his name in the Goblet of fire and Voldemort. So Newell did plan it but decided to make it more of a romantic comedy in the guise of a thriller rather than a suspense mystery.

Oh and when Harry escapes the graveyard by portkey, does anyone think it would have been better to not show Voldemort screaming in rage? I think It'd be more frighting if Harry leaves and we leave with him.

Old September 12th, 2007, 8:06 am
Banned

Previous Movie Posts
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Previous Chapter Post
GoF Chp 1: The Riddle House
GoF Chp 2: The Port Key
GoF Chp 3: The Quidditch World Cup
GoF Chp 4: The Dark Mark
GoF Chp 5: The Tri-Wizard Tournament
GoF Chp 6: The Goblet of Fire
GoF Chp 7: The Unforgivable Curses
GoF Chp 8: The Four Champions
GoF Chp 9: Let Events Unfold
GoF Chp 10: Rita Skeeter

GoF Chp 11: Sirius Conversation
GoF Chp 12: The Hungarian Horntail
GoF Chp 13: Transforming Malfoy
GoF Chp 14: The First Task (Part 1)
GoF Chp 14: The First Task (Part 2)
GoF Chp 15: Best Foot Forward
GoF Chp 16: An Unexpected Challenge
GoF Chp 17: The Yule Ball
GoF Chp 18: The Egg's Clue
GoF Chp 19: The Second Task (Part 1)
GoF Chp 19: The Second Task (Part 2)
GoF Chp 20: Never Whole Again
GoF Chp 21: The Pensieve
GoF Chp 22: Dreams and Suspicsions
GoF Chp 23: The Third Task
GoF Chp 24: Flesh Blood and Bone
GoF Chp 25: The Death Eaters
GoF Chp 26: Priori Incantatem

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 27: Veritaserum

Heartwrenching.

Both from a cinematic point of view and Amos' cries for his son. What was a pretty tight scene before, suddenly falls apart into touching upon secondary characters here and there; and just tying up loose-ends in a very messy and matter of factly way. Fudge is concerned for the reputation, Dumbledore is actually truly concerned for the well being of his students, Oh Look there's Krum! The sad truth is that this reminds me entirely too much of CoS's ending where it too touched upon all the secondary characters in a pathetic sort of going through the motions way. Even Neville gets a shot as well, but really...who cares? Does it even mean anything to have Neville there? To show that his dancing doesn't mean anything in retrospect?

I do have to say I don't know if anyone who had some sort of creative control on GoF was a mysoginist, but really...way to make Fleur look like the weakest participant in the history of the Tournament. Having her scream at the dead body? What is up with that? At least have CHO do it, but no...a good chance was wasted in just weaken Fleur beyond any sort of courageous redemption. How the hell is she going to help out in any of the future movies? Not to mention the shot of Cho being sad was acted out so horribly, it makes me want to cry.

Radcliffe, I've actually given a bit of a reprieve on his supposed bad acting here. I think it's done well even though he does still have a bit of frozen face syndrome. The fun thing is that he really acted the in hysterics part. He's just seen someone murdered, his parents in ghost form talking to him and participated in the battle of his revived mortal enemy. He's rambling and exhausted and so upset he can't even talk properly. You can see it in his eyes.

However Amos...man it's heartwrenching to see him. It makes me well up every single time or at least have a chill in my heart. I like the symbolic idea of pairing Amos with Arthur right after we see Harry and Cedric come back from the graveyard because it kinda of shows a parallell of each respective father cheering on their own sons in the tournament. However the music... the music really carries the sadness of it all. Despite all the stupidity and clunky dialogue; editing; MOVING by the actors the music dramatically makes it better.

UNTIL....

You get to the zoom out to Hogwarts (once again another beautiful scenic shot) and the music continues into Harry and Fake!Moody going into his office. That does not make any sense at all. If only..ONLY they had held that shot or cut the music a few seconds later; it wouldn't have felt like the most awkward and inappropriate lead-into another scene.

Once again we see Moody's office and once again there's really nothing of great interest that catches my eye except a certain set design that is actually quite wrong. While I mentioned waaaaay back in PS's chapter on Gringotts I do love the mixture of the mechanical with magic just so long it looks cool, this sort of takes the whole technical aspect of muggle culture a bit too far. Sure it's a castle, one would expect fortifications to be more modern than just a lock; however a sliding lock? I don't know...sure it's menacing, it shows that Harry's pretty much trapped, but IMHO it's like taking Cuaron's neat concept of closing the front doors to Hogwarts in PoA a bit too far with a lock that is hardly magical at all. We don't live in a submarine here folks.

While we still get to see Moody act a bit like Moody, the idea of that Fake!Moody is Crouch Jr. becomes more and more a stretch. IMHO if everyone is assuming Fake!Moody is the real thing, then why would Crouch still put up the charade? Even though we do get to see only a few snippets of Crouch Jr.'s own personality it never really shows until after the change. Fake!Moody is still in Moody mode. Once again some more exposition with revelations that never hit hard at all. It's by far the least engaging discussion between Harry and the Villain of the school year in the entire series. Even Quirrelmort was more engaging than this avalanche of clunky lines. It doesn't even matter if you know what happened in the book, good filmmaking makes even the most expected of things fresh and new.

Then we get Dumbledore barging in ruining the fun. While like a reprieve on lamenting Radcliffe's performance earlier, I think the Dumbledore performance also get's a bit of a reprieve. Not because Yoshi2543 did mention that they in fact [b]include the Gleam of Triumph[/i] a subtle smile (of which I *still* have yet to catch), but because it seems to fit. I like the rough style of how he handles Crouch Jr. and yet not. While this might be the interpretation of Newall making the audience realize how Harry saw the fear inducing Dumbledore in the novel, it didn't really fly that well being more physical than psychological. Nevertheless it does seem a bit more tolerable.

What of dislike the most is when Dumbledore says the line "Perhaps. Personally I've never had much time for heroes"

???????????

The whole damn point of the Tri Wizard tournament was about heroes. About courage and bravery. How could you possibly sell the idea of enternal glory only to say "OH yeah...I don't really like that kind of stuff myself...but I KNOW SOME OF YOU DO!" Now I do blame greatly on the idea that Dumbledore's character in this film was combined with the role of Ludo Bagman and therefore that's where the idea of making them out to be heroes comes out; but really. Unless Dumbledore was just playing the role of being supportive of the champions, then the end result of this entire tournament was that Dumbledore was just merely a puppet for this whole time. Whatever...the line's great, it makes sense. He has other important things to do like SAVE THE WORLD. But it just seems so contradictory to it all. Perhaps we did need Ludo Bagman in the movie afterall. I mean if Karkaroff, Maxine and Skeeter could just fall off the supporting character planet so easily before the 3rd act, then might as well slap in Bagman to have at least taken the burdern of Master of Ceremonies off Dumbledore.

Then a bit more disappointment the chest...lame. Even from a cinematic P.O.V. Even Snape's opening of it was far too elaborate for unlocking such an non-elaborate chest. I must say now with the shot looking up at the heads of McGongall, Snape, Dumbledore and Harry looks comical in nature.

Sadly just like the rest of the DADA office, it's unimpressive and non-magical.

All in all there's little worth in the DADA office scene. Clunkiness throughout, a bit of bright spots but it just reeks of inconsistent acting that was present in CoS. This only proves how poor Newall handled the film as a whole to have the final scenes serve to connect with the rest of the film...but once again seems shot by itself with no consideration of what happens before and after it.
Things of Note
  • Music used in the scene: Track 19: The Death of Cedric
    Music Cue list greatly supplied by The Harry Potter Lexicon

• Continuity bloopers. Just look at Gambon's hands on Harry's face just as he arrived with Cedric's body. The shots show different hand positions. A bit annoying really.

Last edited by DarwinMayflower; September 12th, 2007 at 8:20 am.
Old September 12th, 2007, 9:39 am
Fifth Year

If you're looking for the gleam of triumph, it's just after Harry says, "I'm sorry professor, I couldn't help it.", Dumbledore looks down overwhelmed, then darts his head up with a slight smirk and a gleam in his eye before it cuts to the next shot.

I think they really missed out with this chapter. As has been said, far too many secondary, even tertiary characters are given reactions to Harry and Cedric, instead of focussing on Harry, Dumbledore, Amos, that little circle, the camera moves away and I think that detracts from the drama. It starts so well, the band playing, Dumbledore's reaction, Harry crying, but then it all goes down the toilet when it comes to leading into the DADA office. I don't know what Newell was thinking, but as you say Darwin, the transition to Moody and Harry just seems to quick, it undermines how serious this all is, that a boy has died, that Voldemort is reborn. It just isn't enough. I think WB were afraid to really go to town on the downbeat nature of this end sequence.

Now, the DADA office. Gleeson is good, Radcliffe is good. Moody really seems to be mad, in a scary way, him touching Harry's wound was good, but it all goes a bit wrong once Dumbledore and his posse arrive. Not only is it framed horribly, it is all over far too quickly, there is no drama to it. It's incredibly predictable, and I think it would have been better to have a shot of Dumbledore framed intimidatingly in the doorway, rather than have a disorienting shot of him obscured by the door and then charging in. Now, Dumbledore in this scene is quite good I think. He's more physical than he is in the book, but I think it works, he certainly looks terrifying when he asks Moddy if he's in this room, and he's suitably pleasant when talking to the real Moody, I love how he and Harry have that same look of sudden, shocked realisation as they see Barty appearing. His final line I thought was more about Dumbledore not liking people who boast about the heroism. Can you imagine Harry or Dumbledore saying "I'll be welcomed back like a hero!", I can't, so I think his line was more about not letting Crouch have the last word, and showing how he prefers a bit of modesty. I never thought the Triwizard Champions could be described as heroes, though. They are winners of a competiton, not heroes. This scene needed a bit more flesh to it though. Perhaps lose McGonagall and have Fudge instead, have him dispute Crouch's story and have Dumbledore tell him to shut it. I don't know. Also, originally this is where we go to the proper Priori Incatatem scene, as they shot originally, where DD leads Harry away from the DADA office, to a balcony where they talk about what happened.

Also, the chapter is edited sloppily, in the first close-up on Arthur and Amos, you can see Dumbledore run down the steps in the corner, way before we get the close-up on him, Dumbledore's glasses somehow dissapear on his way to the DADA office, his beard length is rather short in the office and changes length constantly, Neville is in two different places in the crowd, etc.

Last edited by yoshi2542; September 12th, 2007 at 9:43 am.
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:05 am
Fourth Year

Terrible ending.
As Wimsey once suggested, a wise director would have revelead the identity of Fake!Moody in the graveyard, something like this: Harry is tethered to the statue, sees Moody arriving, and thinks his saviour is there.
But then Voldemort unmasks him, explains what Crouch Jr did for him, et voilà, the deal is done! (Maybe show Voldemort kill Barty Crouch Jr for some extremely stupid reason, just to show that he has no pity for his enemies as for his followers).
I am aware this is really aggressive adaptation, but it would have saved time and added tension at the climax scene of the movie.
Kloves and Newell chose to be literal instead, and what do we have now? a pathetic dialogue between Harry and Fake!Moody, IMHO:'Did you see the Dark Lord? What did he look like? What did he sound like? What did he taste like?' Everytime I watch the scene, I shrudder.
I'm sorry to be so hard on Newell and Kloves, but the ending is really one of the worst scenes in GoF.

Last edited by KlausBaudelaire; September 12th, 2007 at 11:09 am.
Old September 12th, 2007, 2:07 pm
Fourth Year

:Agree's with everyone:

When you see Cedrics head hit the ground and the crowd is cheering I remember feeling like "Wooowww" Fluers reactiong was good, but you're right Darwin, they should've given it to someone who mattered like Cho instead of making Fluer to be even weaker (I've been asked alot of time by friends whats the point of her being there.) The beginning of the scene is gold though. Dumbledore rushing to Harry and trying to comfort him aswell as Amos as he cries for his son (This part tugged at my heart, I mean I got a little teary eyed in the theater on this part.) Then of course we cut around the crowd for reactions, most being weird for the most part. You have Fudge telling Dumbledore to move the body because there's too many people nd Harry desperatly trying to tell him that Voldemorts back. I love the interaction between Radcliffe and Gambon here because it just seems so real. But of course Moody grabs him, takes him away as Fred and George follow in the background before we pan out to a view of the castle.

Now is it me or do you think it took some time to get back to Moody's office? I mean I've played the game, the school is HUGE and I"m sure that was a good 20 min walk lol. Anyways once we get back into the office its the typical 'unveiling the enemy' scene, which by now if anyone doesn't know then jeez haven't you been paying attention to this movie at all? The reaction to the Polyjuice Potion....not exactly how they reacted in the 2nd movie...but of course used for dramatic effect. So we have Moody basically explaining what he did all year and Harry staring in disbelief and BAM the door flies open and in comes Dumbledore, Snape, and McGonnagal.

GREAT idea for suggesting Fudge be there instead, that could've killed two birds with one stone actually. They could've atleast had a parting of the ways type thing in this scene...but it wasn't so. LOL at that picture Darwin, you're right...I can only imagine the captions someone could come up with that one. I love the little 'look' Snape gives Harry after Dumbledore says "Now we know who's been stealing from you Severus" That look always cracks me up and I liked the way the chest opened, but I think it was a little dramatic how Snape used the spell. Oh that Yates...always going for over the top.

I noticed the gleam of triump after Yoshi mentioned it aswell. It's there and I'm glad it is...Dumbledore actually seems quite happy about what happens until Crouch opens his mouth and thus the 'heroes' line, which I've never really liked or disliked. To me it did seem like Dumbledore just having the final word. I saw a picture of the scene where Dumbledore and Harry are standing on the astronomy tower talking about the events, hope we get to see that scene. Oh and of course the tongue flick at the end of the scene got a laugh out of the audience, which I don't think was intentional, but like I said what can we do?

Last edited by Phrozenone; September 12th, 2007 at 2:11 pm.
Old September 12th, 2007, 5:11 pm
Fourth Year

Had Goldenberg penned the film, it very well could have had the big reveal in the graveyard. Alas, it did not. I'm sure Newell would have gone with it if Kloves had written it that way, thus I don't think it's the director's fault that it wasn't done that way.

That said, he could have made the big reveal he had to work with a bit more subtle, a bit more surprising, and that alone would have fixed the scene. In my opinion, of course..

Proud to have proclaimed BOTH Battles of Hogwarts two books early!
Old September 12th, 2007, 6:31 pm
Third Year

I like when Dumbledore says "Personally I've never had time for heroes". Very philosophical in how he says it so 'matter-of-factly' and with such irreverance to the notion of heroics.

It goes in line with Newell's whole sub-theme about the negative results of nationalist jingoistic behaviour and foolish heroics versus "international cooperation" and "moral fiber" which he's done beautifully with his whole tongue in cheek take on English boarding schools and London's historical infamy for consistently hosting the worst Olympic games throughout this movie (All three times they hosted things went very wrong).

Last edited by underscore; September 13th, 2007 at 1:33 pm.
Old September 13th, 2007, 1:37 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausBaudelaire View Post
Terrible ending.
As Wimsey once suggested, a wise director would have revelead the identity of Fake!Moody in the graveyard, something like this: Harry is tethered to the statue, sees Moody arriving, and thinks his saviour is there.
But then Voldemort unmasks him, explains what Crouch Jr did for him, et voilà, the deal is done! (Maybe show Voldemort kill Barty Crouch Jr for some extremely stupid reason, just to show that he has no pity for his enemies as for his followers).
I am aware this is really aggressive adaptation, but it would have saved time and added tension at the climax scene of the movie.
Kloves and Newell chose to be literal instead, and what do we have now? a pathetic dialogue between Harry and Fake!Moody, IMHO:'Did you see the Dark Lord? What did he look like? What did he sound like? What did he taste like?' Everytime I watch the scene, I shrudder.
I'm sorry to be so hard on Newell and Kloves, but the ending is really one of the worst scenes in GoF.
That's a pretty great idea. But I'd go one step further, only to have Fake!Moody still be fake Moody, manage to grab a hold of Potter getting to Cedric but not quick enough to prevent him from accioing' the cup. Fake!Moody comes back to the stadium and the polyjuice potion wears off, cue reveal stuff and voila...ending. Have Dumbledore escort Harry out.

Why McGonnagall was there is probably becuase of the FoeGlass in the first place. Just having Crouch there wouldn't really make any sense of having 2 out of the 3 weird faces in the foe glass being there. However so many things earlier in the film had been tossed out with any sort of revelence to the latter part of the film, they could have easily implemented the Crouch situation that many suggested. I'm sure she was supposed to be there more than just for the Foe Glass, but still...one can't help to think she was wasted for that small continuity in the film of which they don't actually show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozenone View Post
Now is it me or do you think it took some time to get back to Moody's office? I mean I've played the game, the school is HUGE and I"m sure that was a good 20 min walk lol. Anyways once we get back into the office its the typical 'unveiling the enemy' scene, which by now if anyone doesn't know then jeez haven't you been paying attention to this movie at all? The reaction to the Polyjuice Potion....not exactly how they reacted in the 2nd movie...but of course used for dramatic effect. So we have Moody basically explaining what he did all year and Harry staring in disbelief and BAM the door flies open and in comes Dumbledore, Snape, and McGonnagal.
Never noticed the time thing, but yeah...20 minutes is a long ways to walk for student who just seen a murder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I like when Dumbledore says "Personally I've never had time for heroes". Very philosophical in how he says it so 'matter-of-factly' and with such irreverance to the notion of heroics.
It goes in line with Newell's whole sub-theme about the negative results of nationalist jingoistic behaviour and foolish heroics versus "international cooperation" and "moral fiber" which he's done beautifully with his whole tongue in cheek take on English boarding schools and London's historical infamy for consistently hosting the worst Olympic games (All three times they were hosted there things went very wrong) throughout this movie.[/quote]
I'm not familiar with the UK's streak with hosting the Olympics but that's a very neat little sub-theme going on there. But to touch upon some people's thoughts on the line, it's not that I don't like it. It is a character trait that Dumbledore does indeed have as underscore and yoshi mentioned but like I said before, I just don't like how it's just inconsistent to what he had done for the past 2 hours regarding the Tri-Wizard tournament.

Thinking a bit less rantilly now, I would have wanted Fudge to play more of a Ludo Bagman role of promoting the glorification of the tournament with Dumbledore focusing on the bravery and united feeling between different cultures of which would have made the eulogy far FAR more revelent. It wouldn't feel like bookends of Dumbledore's appreciation for all walks of life. Plus it would at least have given a greater kick to the line when he said it because it would be a cumulation of his opposition to Fudge's constant heroic comments to his more sincere feelings towards this event. It's funny because after seeing OoTP I half imagine moments where Dumbledore is trying promote the benefits of hosting other cultures in their castle while Fudge interrupts him much like Umbridge. Complete of course with curious looks of confusion by Dumbledore as to what Fudge is trying to do.

Old September 13th, 2007, 2:04 am
First Year

One of my favorite things in this scene is after Dumbledore checks Fake!Moody's flask, finds the polyjuice potion and says "Now we know who's been stealing from your store, Severus" (or something like that) and Harry and Snape shoot those looks at each other behind Dumbledore and McGonagall. That makes me smile every time, so classic!

Old September 13th, 2007, 11:42 am
First Year

Sorry if this is a little bit behind, but I was just wondering why in the graveyard scene did Harry not try to resist Wormtail slicing his arm. I mean sure he was trapped on that tombstone thing, but his arms seemed quite free and if I were him I would have tried all my best to punch, kick whatever, before letting him take my blood. It seemed like Harry's hands were glued or something, with the way he just stood there and let Wormtail cut him.

Old September 13th, 2007, 12:05 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire angel View Post
Sorry if this is a little bit behind, but I was just wondering why in the graveyard scene did Harry not try to resist Wormtail slicing his arm. I mean sure he was trapped on that tombstone thing, but his arms seemed quite free and if I were him I would have tried all my best to punch, kick whatever, before letting him take my blood. It seemed like Harry's hands were glued or something, with the way he just stood there and let Wormtail cut him.
I think that is just WB wanting to keep the rating as low as possible. I mean, Wormtail is rather quiet for someone who just cut their hand off at the wrist, but studios are loathe to include genuinely dark material in a series of ,initially, childrens films. It's a shame that the serious stuff in the books, the deaths, the torture, the horrible things that Voldemort and his followers do, will always be softened so as not to offend parents. I mean, look at when Cedric died. When we saw Moody kill the spider, the spell literally thumped into the spider, killing it. On Cedric, it's a sort of light that surrounds him and spins him around, blasting him backwards. It's effect is more like a green-tinted stupefy rather than the killing curse. It's an understandable thing to do, and I doubt Newell liked doing it, but unfortunately, these will always be seen as childrens films, and that means that punches will be pulled. Perhaps in these last two films WB will stop pandering like this, but I sincerely doubt it. Studios only care about the bottom line, and including realistic-looking violence in Potter films would jeapordise that.

Old September 13th, 2007, 3:30 pm
First Year

Does anyone have the picture of Harry and DD from this supposed cut scene?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies