Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #221  
Old December 20th, 2007, 7:48 pm
JustAnIllusion's Avatar
JustAnIllusion  Female.gif JustAnIllusion is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4435 days
Location: Montauk
Age: 28
Posts: 507
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris93 View Post
JustAnIllusion: I am with you on discussing what they included/excluded from the book. That is very important to me too. I think the reason I like this movie is because I was slapped hard in the face with PoA, and also a bit on GoF, so I have lowered my extremely high exceptations. Instead, I am just thrilled to see anything from canon on the screen now.
I know what you mean. I was relatively young when PoA came out, however (middle school ), and I wasn't incredibly irked with what was missing. I think my attention to detail hadn't been fine tuned so much. The third book, at that point anyway, had also been one of my least favorites (though now it is one of my favorites... rereading does wonders, doesn't it?). The fourth movie, however, was horrendous. I had matured some by then, and, thus, that was when I got my slap in the face. I tried not to have many expectations for OotP, but seeing as that was the first book I got on midnight on release day, it just made me super sad. It was so rushed... Not as bad as Goblet, of course, but still... choppy and blue. Gambon's acting failed to return to it's glory of PoA, where he really shined in characterization, and he was yelling at kids. Though the acting had gotten better, Hermione was not Hermione, and Emma's lack of bushy hair irked me. My eyebrows almost went into a fury (up and down and up and down!). The little Harry Potterisms that are necessary to tell the story were missing, and all we got was a tenderly shot skeleton. In that aspect, and even with my virtual lack of expectations, I was disappointed.

There really are a few things I like about OotP, of course, and you'll hear them as we go chapter by chapter. But a lack of brains attacking people and a gain of odd smoke fights really threw me off guard.

Maybe i'll have absolutely horrible expectations of HBP and i'll come out of the theater surprised and happy? I'm not looking forward to it, but everybody has to grin at SEX, DRUGS, AND ROCK&ROLL!

For now, i'll hold a bit of a grudge. Maybe discussing it will make it better.


__________________


"WHAT THE DEVIL IS GOING ON HERE?"
-AVPM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #222  
Old December 20th, 2007, 8:34 pm
DarwinMayflower  Male.gif DarwinMayflower is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4744 days
Posts: 561
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozenone View Post
So yeah Dudley Demented. I always wondered how they were going to open this movie. I knew it would probably start at the playground, but where would they show the actual title of the movie? From the creative way it was done in the previous movies I always thought that the title would appear after Harry casts his patronus. Harry would point his wand at the camera, yell 'EXPECTO PATRONUM' and the whole screen would light up and we saw the title 'HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX'...but alas we get this intro which I've grown to just except.
It's funny that you and other people bring up that up because really...I think there are a lot of things that can be done that has the same "prologue" sequence that we've grown custom to for the films. Even though CoS didn't have any the logo and title was a slow flight through the clouds. With GoF one could even say that it passed by just as fast in OoTP but had the Riddle House intro to sort of give the illusion of a prologue before the credits.

For me I'd picture it as this. Cut right to the running sequence and with each cut to a different angle of Harry and Dudley running, just give a small snippet of Dudley Taunting Harry between each cut. Then just before they hit the tunnel, show the sky darkening thing. Cue underpass sequence, expecto patronum and save Dudley with Dementor flying off and cue Title. Come back with Ms. Fig discovering Harry over Big D.
Quote:
I guess I was just expecting more from it but seeing the WB logo zoom in for the first time and then Hedwig's Theme starting it just felt kind of...I don't know...weird? One thing I have noticed with the soundtrack since Williams left is that they just play the beginning of the theme. I don't know if you guys have noticed but if you watch the first 3 the title usually came up on the 2nd string of the song. I was hoping we'd get to hear that section again but as soon as it begins the song moves off into a piano section.
I will have to check that out. One thing that I sorely miss out is attention to the music because I am not such a music buff nor know the terminology. It's always great to hear stuff like this to round out the thread and discussion more. Thanks!
Quote:
I never noticed the orb before, great eye Darwin. I always wondered what that was. I thought it was just the sun until this point. So yes we go from dark to light and we hear over the radio how hot it is. There is a shot, ala COS, of the town that Harry has grown up in. This time however the camera shows a whole section I didn't even know existed. It LOOKS like the same park that he first encountered the Knight Bus in during the 3rd film, but now it's in the middle of the field. I still don't know why they decided to put it there but I digress.
Personally even though a very good obvious shot, IMHO it really sorts of puts a question mark in my head. I'm 99.9% sure it isn't the playground from PoA but because we've been following these movies so closely, it's easy to make that connection. The funny thing is that I kind have more empathy for those fans who complained about the relocation of Hagrid's hut. I can understand now how weird it is to see it in a different place. An interesting thing is that I'd think it might have made a larger impact had they kept the playground in the same place, but make it some sort of barren different spot on the landscape of the boring multiple houses. Like a white spot in a lawn of black spots. It certainly makes a similar message of isolation and more cohesively be able to give actual precedent to Ms. Figg talking about Dementors appearing in Little Whinging...as opposed to just being on the outskirts of town.
Quote:
Something Harry will never have is his mom doing that for him and I thought that was a nice touch. So we have Harry sitting on the swing with a paper, just like the book and all of a sudden standing there is Dudley and his 'friends' Now this is an editing thing I can comment on because it seems as if Dudley just came out of no where and why would he travel so far out of town to taunt Harry?
Yeah that never really bugged me, but at this point it doesn't make any sense for Dudster to come out so far. Perhaps not to be caught smoking since everyone KNOWS everyone in a small town. Perhaps he was too stupid to realize that he was walking away from home rather than going home.
Quote:
As far as the taunting goes OUCH! Dudley is REALLY harsh, even more so than in the book I think. I actually wanted Harry to punch the living daylights out of him for what he said, but it's good they used Dudley to catch everyone up. So Harry pulls out his wand and a storm comes (Happens alot in this movie doesn't it?) I always found it funny how Dudley friend just kinda left him but I guess they didn't want to get wet lol.
The interesting thing about the acting on Radcliffe's part is excellent. It wasn't like the welling up rage that we are used to but it was something more psychologically. Dudley was damaging him with psychological warfare and that results in a different reaction than what we're used to with regular insults or even physical pain. I actually liked how Radcliffe reacted with every single jab and even to the point to very *very* subtly hint towards Harry's own snake-neck-twitch caused by Voldemort's connection. There's an uneasiness to him.
Quote:
The whole theater jumped when the first Dementor appeared. Wow Harry Potter has turned into a horror flick. This scene has horror all over it. I can only imagine what Dudley was thinking seeing his cousin all of a sudden floating in mid air (Seeing that Muggles can't see Dementors) Dudley runs, slips, and now becomes a victim. I actually thought the dementors in this film weren't that bad. I was glad to see the sucking action again and look at this the patronus isn't a shield anymore. One thing I'm actually happy about is that they explain that later on in the film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi2542
The slo-mo shots of Dudley running are a bit odd, at first I thought it was him being chased then dragged by a dementor (which he can't see of course), but the dementor appears after that, so it's a bit strange. I think it would have worked better to see a few shots form Dudley's point of view, with Harry being lifted seemingly by nothing, you do sort of get an inlking of it, with the close-up on Dudley staring at Harry, but it doesn't make it clear enough that he can't see them.
Well good on you on pointing t out. What I always found lacking was showing some instance of muggles not being able to see certain creatures or the threstrals. I don't mind it really, less exposition however there just offered a great opportunity that you can use for cinematically although it might have been far too obvious a choice to use those ideas.
Quote:
Funny but didn't it seem like Harry sort of hesitated before sending the patronus towards Dudleys dementor?
I would like to give the benefit of the doubt, but it seemed more like confusion to why Dementors would be here in the first place. Still I'd like to say hesitation to be in line with Harry choosing to save his cousin. At the same time I think there's just a clear emphasis that Harry is just a good person and I think even though he was ready to blast Dudley's head off with his wand earlier, the fact that he'd save him just like that shows enough of a contrast that he cares. However once again it's something that is not easily seen especially considering the flow of the film.

Quote:
You know I forgot to talk about something. How silly of me....the blueness of this film. It seemed worse in the theater and seeing it on my tv it is actually MUCH better but I just thought I'd comment on it. I don't know if its the fact that they want to keep adding more and more filters as each film goes by to make it "darker" or what but there were points where the blue bugged the heck out of me.
They might have tweaked it a bit, but I think in the theatre it's just naturally darker for all films. I remember that many times I saw the film I was struggling to see some details. However on home release quiet often it looks clearer.
Quote:
Also Darwin you forgot the other song that plays during this scene. 'Another Story' is the Hedwigs Theme and piano as Harry is walking song that is played. Just thought I'd let you know that
I'll add that in. Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
The film starts with the camera soaring slowly through dark storm clouds with creepy whispering noises in the background (Voldemort?), which then segues into a much more uneasy, weary rendition of Hedwig's theme that progressively becomes more bombastic and loud as we pass the WB logo and the films title transitioning to a orb-like shining object maybe resembling the prophecy (could this be one of Harry's many dreams of the DOM?) but is really the sun; A very extreme transition from the darkest of black storm to a bright warm summer's afternoon. Your right, Darwin. It really is a sign of the editing of this film, but you know, it works here because you get this fine summer's day where everything seems normal and mundane but you've just come out of this storm. There's already a feeling of uncertainty and foreboding. It also bookmarks this particular chapter because it begins in darkness and ends in darkness.
That's one thing I didn't notice until after I typed out the chapter discussion. That there is a neat little correlation between the dark and light of the opening credits to the Dementor attack. Good observation!
Quote:
I must say this is my favorite opening of any Harry Potter film. It's just so epic and the cinematography is beautiful, as is the composition. The colors are stupendous, I love how alive the opening overhead wide shot of Little Winging is. There's so much going on in that shot yet it's yellow and parched; so plain, unassuming and mundane. I love your analysis of the juxtaposition of the neighborhood to the long empty field. We're already establishing Harry's isolation from society and normalcy and we haven't even see the boy yet! You could almost say the thematic stylization of this film is very overbearing and over the top but I like it. It's one of the few consistent elements of the film.
Oh yes it's very consistent. I wouldn't fault it really, it isn't as overbearing as most other films but I think it's good because as obvious as some of the shots are in reflecting a certain theme, it's something that been lacking in GoF and we only got small snippets in PS and CoS. PoA did it well but of course a lot of times it was a little too well hidden. I like both because it's just a change of pace.

Quote:
Now I don't know if anyone would have noticed this but I love the symbolism of that overhead shot of the playground where we see that round spinning carousel play-ride. (the name escapes me right now) It almost mirrors the sun we've just glimpsed in the sky making it a clever manipulation which softly averts the audience's eyes from the sky to the playground part of the field but it's also something deeper that I'll get to in a second. Harry walking through the field is another wonderful shot. I love how the camera pans through the weeds and tall grass to Harry. It's just a beautiful nature shot. The transition fade-through to Harry's shadow on the swing doesn't irk me too much. It's brilliant imagery focusing on Harry's shadow and note we see a close up of his shadow before we see a close-up of him. It's almost like a hero introduction device or it could establish early that Harry's battle in this film is really with his own shadow.
That's a great observation and I never thought of it that way which already stirs up some more thoughts. It's a good correlation with what I said earlier with Harry's big reveal of his scar because there is this gradual progression of how Harry is reveal it us. We don't see him completely until his reaction with the mom and child but even then we don't see the scar aka True Harry.

The interesting thing that I wanted to bring up is that being the 5h in the franchise, it's always sort of funny how a sequel always starts up. You either get something different about the character or something very similar to the character. James Bond for instance whenever you see him under the helm of some new director, you wonder what ideas they kept but what new stuff they'll add. Radcliffe growing up before our eyes really does remind me of the Bond franchise because it's like seeing a different version of the same character each and every time. Not only that, it's like seeing a different person each and every time because you see him grow up and you see the differences from last year to this year.

The gradual reveal of Harry seems to work greatly because it isn't such a shock because you get far off shot which we know his Harry but it's not quite clear. We get the shadow which once again we know it's Harry but just a closer shot of him with his face. There is the swing which sort of gives the audience the recollection that Harry was a child, then the older 12-13 year old kid which sort of harkerns to the PoA era; and finally the Harry we got now, far older but not necessarily different. It's kind of interesting to see how sub-consciously we are fooled to accept this new Harry despite looking so different from GoF and his younger versions.

Quote:
Harry is watching the family he longs for and desires, framing this film as a tragedy since it begins with the protagonist longing for a family and then ending with him lamenting the loss of the only family he had left. Here's where the carousel imagery comes in. The little boy is naturally happily spinning around to his mother, symbolizing: Order, balance, flow and in essence a normal easy life with a family. Something that Harry longs for as he sits on a 'swing' which is very fitting since he is really on an emotional swing this whole movie, swinging back and forth between light and dark or community and isolation. The shot of the mother beckoning her son is almost ghost-like and angelic. It's the stereotypical idyllic picture of what people expect from an idealized view of the perfect childhood. The beautiful feminine, kind mother figure offering to cook your favorate dinner. You know it's almost unreal, like a dream expressing how an orphan would idealize the image of a family and that which undergoes a slow deconstruction over the film as Harry discovers his own father was not very pleasant; but that's for later. I'm not sure how much of this was intended by the DOP or David Yates but it really matches up, though since the film moves by so fast it could only be gleaned from a chapter by chapter analysis! (Thank you Darwin! )
That is a good analysis. I think there is a near little thing to glean from this. Even though I do have a problem with the idea of the muggle world being perceived as more normal in this film; this part certainly does make a better reason to have it so. To basically show a normal family talking to each other which the emphasis is on NORMAL and also to not see something that is the Weasleys being a normal family. Now that you bring this up, it certainly does make a lot of sense to include this one scene which serves a dual purpose (or even triple purpose).

It basically harkens back to PoA Chp 19: The Patronus. Remember Harry's memory that allowed him to summon the patronus shield? It was just his parents talking to him...just.....talking. It's a very neat correlation between that thought that powers his patronus with him summoning a patronus in the underpass. As if to hint once again that the power of Harry's spell is that memory but also what he wants most in life.
Quote:
Now we must agree to disagree about the radio voice over near the begining of the scene. Not only is it directly from the book with the 'hottest day of the summer' but it's also brilliant later when Harry and Dudley are in the underpass and their breath is frosty!! It's just so chilling and really tells us that something is just not right. I love it! It just adds to the fright of the dementers and of the opening of this scene which purpose is to show us that Voldemort is back: the wizard, muggle worlds are merging and everything is being turned on it's head. It's unfortunate that the Dursleys were not in GOF because we would have had a steady track record of having the Dursleys representing the beginning of the film where Harry is trapped in the muggle world but never really connecting with the wizard part of the film until now when the whole world's gone topsy turvey. Harry Melling in real life is really a nice sweet kid (or so it appears in interviews) so I don't think he'll have a problem with Dudley's epiphany departing in DH.
Good point on the hottest day thing. However the relation isn't all that emphasized. It might be the editing it might be Yates inability to make things so memorable or significant that you don't remember things like some sort of ADD patient. But the main problem I found is that even though it specifically said it was the hottest day on record, it hardly shown that other than the sun and the barren dry landscape. But once again the connection sort of eludes me...I can connect the dots but the thing is I don't have confidence if that is how the dots are supposed to be connected. It might be because I already focused on the idea of light and dark rather than cold and heat. The funny thing is that the first screenshot we saw of Harry was him wet and pointing his wand which a lot of us assumed it was sweat. Kind of funny that sweat would be a clear indication of a hot day but instead it was just indication of rain.
Quote:
I like the overhead shot of Harry and Dudley right before they run across the field when they are both looking up at the stormy sky because Harry looks so skinny and scrawny standing next to big wide Dudley. It's the one time that Dan really looks like BOOK!Harry. The shot of them running across the field could be comedic because of the animated fashion in which they both run at the exact same speed but it's a nice visual reference to the Maze where Harry and Cedric were running to the portkey.
That certainly is right. I think a HP film would never be complete without a running sequence. I'll post up some screenshots when I get a chance later.
Quote:
The underpass. Now this is a drastic departure from the book where it was just an alleyway. I suppose they wanted something more isolated and darker. The graffiti adds a nice touch of urbanism and realism contrasting the muggle world with the wizarding world. Just imagine that set without the graffiti and just a a plain underpass. The scene would not have as much atmosphere and would be rather bland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi2542
I like the shots of Dudley and Harry running, there's a nice energy and some interesting angles, and I like the subway they shot the attack in. It really is a new look at the muggle world, the graffiti, the squalor of it, it really looks realistic, far more than the quaint King's Cross style muggle world we've seen in previous movies.
While I agree, once again I don't like the intrusion of such Muggle culture into the movie. Not that I don't mind muggle intrusion but not one that is relatively time specific. IMHO what all of the movies great is that it is somewhat of a time warp. It could have occured in the 60's all the way up to today. However having something as cultural relative such as graffiti is something that that sort of brings me out of the world of Potter and into the world of now. However I can't fault them for that because it does make the underpass look AWESOME; much like the set design in Hostel.
Quote:
Thank you very much for this, Darwin. You my sir simply rock! Keep up the good work.
I know I rock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
Well, here we are at chapter one of what is certainly the thriftiest of all the Potter movies. We start off going straight to the logos, no comedy a la POA, no tracking shot on Nagini, just straight to WB, then Potter, then the orb then the opening shot. Little of note, other than the rather bland return of Hedwig's theme and the slightly more battered Potter logo (interesting how it started of a bright gold for PS, but has slowly weathered and is now a rusty silver).
I remember the logo discussion thread a while back. It does make me wonder what the final two versions will look like. I'd almost like the Death Hallows to have the same font but be smoke since by this time the title sequences would be so dilapidated that they are dust now.
Quote:
So we have a few little nods to previous movies here, the playground from POA (although relocated), the rows of houses from CoS, the weather report from GOF (in the Bryce's shack you can hear Mike Newell cameoing as the weatherman on the radio), a similar shot of the grass to the portkey scene from GOF:

While it's fun to see all these, it's sort of representative of the whole movie how instead of establishing a clear tone from the outset, it seems content to pay lip-service to prior installments rather than try and establish something tangibly unique right of the bat.
I think there is a sort of unique in being the same as other franchise films and just being different from the first 4 films. That isn't to say it's the best choice, but it's a choice that certainly made an impact by making it far more like a mainstream movie than even PoA. Even though it is paying lip-service at least it does it far more obviously than GoF's. Problem is it's identity is strictly based on what's occurred before it which I said in my posts on the films being a trilogy in 7 parts, it makes sense. It's sort of awesome but sort of disappointing which IMHO is what defines OoTP.
Quote:
It's also one of those scenes where we get beaten over the head by the idea of Harry's isloation. I mean, the shot of the family by the roundabout, was it really neccessary? The actual confrontation between Potter and the gang is quite good I think, Dudley's lines about Lily really show how deplorable and disgusting he is, and they were delivered with an interestingly childlike voice.
I liked Dudley because it was sort of a complex look on the Dudster. An interesting idea about Dudley is that he was a villain that Harry had in each and every single book. In his mind he was one of his top enemies not because of magic but because of his ability to insult and fight. What's interesting is that there's child-like look, a dumb look, a dumb ogre voice but all backed with a straight to heart uncaring psychological insults to Harry's life. Dudley saying stuff like that seems far too smart for a guy of his intelligence but at the same time is entirely appropriate for a person of his age and personality.
Quote:
The constant chopping bewteen Radcliffe and the gang is grating though, just stick to a wide angle or be consistent with your cuts, because it looks amateurish this way. Once Potter gets his wand out though, we take a turn into blue filter land. Instead of the clouds making things go dark, as most clouds do, instead it just makes everything go blue. Hmm, not the best use of the filter, and to be honest it kind of shows up the fact that they shot this entire sequence during the day. yes, a lot can be done with filters when you want a night sequence from a daytime shoot, but in this case, they aren't trying to make it look like night-time, but instead highly overcast, and the blue filter just doesn't give the right effect:
I agree 100% about the chipping and especially the filters. At least with Cuaron, you can at least make out come flesh tones with his blue filters. With this it's as you make it out in the pictures.
Quote:
The dementors look good, the only change in their look seems to be the hoods wrap tightly around their heads, there's another callback to POA with the freezing on the light panels, and I think the sudden jolt of the dementor appearing works well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyacidpops
Now, the big disappointment for me in this chapter: the Dementors. I'm probably alone here, but I did not care for the new design. The Prisoner of Azkaban look was just as I'd imagined and if I thought this new look was any scarier, than I'd be saying different, but as it stands, I just don't care for the change at all. Effects-wise, this scene looks great (the Patronus shots are brilliantly done); the design itself just didn't work for me. Actually, overall this scene wasn't as tense or eerie as I would've liked. I wish I could put my finger on what exactly the problem is or what I would've done differently, but that's kinda the best way I could put it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris93
Oh, and as much as I dislike PoA, I still prefer how the Dementors looked like in that movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnIllusions
You're definitely not alone, because I agree with you. The dementors looked like washed up zombies, and I got the feeling that somebody was trying too hard to scare from the get go. The design from POA, IMHO, was just right, and the fact that the head and mouth looked the way it did... eh. It didn't impress me from the start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraszyMuggle
thought the dementors looked fine in this installment (a bit creepier--they're virtually the same as the ones in PoA just without their hoods.)
It's interesting that from all you guys (and gals) there just differing tastes on the Dementors from different reasons. I know there is a different, the most obvious is the idea of the bandages being more tightly wrapped. I guess Umbridge didn't want the MoM; CSIs to find Dementor cloths or evidence at the scene...so she asked them politely but evilly to tighten it up. I think it might have been a conscious decision to make them look less like Nazgul and more like rotting corpses as described in the novel. However sadly it does make them look less like the Grim Reaper and more like mummies. The interesting thing is that this time they are more hands on at least with Harry which might have contributed to people liking or disliking the new version. PoA seemed far ethreal whereas OoTP is more about an actual monster. Me personally I have no actual preference because it's like OoTP is basically a visual upgrade to the Dementors in PoA. More detailed.
Quote:
It also seems to take the dementor a very long time to take Dudley's soul, it doesn't seem to be trying very hard, it's a bit rubbish compared to what happened to Sirius in POA.
Well it certainly is a heavy soul you know. But I think it's also because the Dementor was just feasting on Dudley before trying to kill him. But that's just me. Perhaps they are just releshing to kill someone.
Quote:
We get a taste of the more physical violence of this movie when Harry stabs the dementor with his wand, which I think works well.
I was like HOLY BBQ! when I saw that. Stabbity stabbity with the wand.

Quote:
Mrs Figgs arrival is typical of this movie's approach to new characters. Toss them in, don't introduce them properly, and just hope that the fans are appeased and that the general audience has forgotten them by the next scene. Not good. She's not batty enough either, she seems far too calm, though her plastic raincoat is amusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofDeath
ME TOO!!!!!! When Miss Figgs came around, I was like "aaaah COME ON TALK!!!!!!!" It really did feel like hours on opening night! I was really expecting her to bounce in there and start shouting franticly but she strolls in like she's taking a walk on the beach. What was the point of even having her? Someone suggested having it be Lupin instead. That's a sound idea because the man is more important than Miss Figgs and the poor guy doesn't even get mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyAcidPops
Now, as everyone else here seems to think, Kathryn Hunter as Mrs. Figg..yeah, not so good, to be plain. If I remember correctly, Mrs. Figg in the book was flying off the handle at the idea of Dementors showing up in Little Whinging right after Mundungus takes off. Here, it's really more like a mild concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris93
As for Ms. Figg, I really liked her, but I can not see that she was there for any other reason than a homage to the fans (oh, and maybe that she was needed at the trial), because she was - as far as I remember - never mentioned in any other HP-movie. How would those who haven't read the books know who she was?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanillusion
Mrs. Figg, on the other hand?

I saw her and her acting, and my mind screamed so loud, I was sure that the other movie goers must have heard it too! : NOOOOO!

Why, oh why? She wasn't frantic! She wasn't crazy! She was just creepy and stuttering... Though we had no Mungdungus to be mad at, couldn't she have frantically wondered why somebody hadn't been at their post? Even without that, couldn't she have been a bit more frantic, period? All I could think: And I have to sit through watching her speak on trial?

NOOOO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymuggle
Mrs. Figg is... well... she's not the crazy old woman I read in the book. The actress isn't horrible (I really liked her in the hearing scene) but she's a bit too monotone (especially considering the situation.) Her voice sounded a bit like an oompa loompa's or an elf's (if that makes any sense)
It's funny that we also have differing opinions on why we don't like Ms. Figg. Me personally once again the lack of sort of anything distinctly wizarding about here aka she's too much like a muggle. However I guess being a squibb it makes sense. Problem is she's just so bland. I do like what she says but nothing really pops out from her. She certainly doesn't command the screen. I expected her to be in more fear than Harry considering she can't even cast a patronus charm or at least be more shaken up. But I guess it creates a precedent for how brave members of the Order are. I don't like her not because she isn't like her book counterpart (of which I even forgotten what she was like) but like Yoshi said...really sort of bland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
MASTERPIECE post, yoshi2542It does look much more comedic and ridiculous to see them running for their lives as if in a marathon to avoid the rain...couple of Divas! Good catch.
I think it's to show how much of cowards Dudley's gang are which by extension also shows how much of a coward Dudley is. It's a neat little clear emphasis since often you can tell the character of a person in the company he or she keeps.
Quote:
He's just there. In-fact how would it have effected the structure of the film if Lupin and hell maybe Tonks would be with him (setting up their romance) and had taken Harry to Grimmauld Place right then and there? The only problem is Dudley but they could have fixed that by just having a line like: "We'll drop him off at home then we're off." It would have helped this film which suffers from an abundance of characters who have no introduction and slink out of the plot and help the horrendous pacing. Lupin could have even applauded Harry on how good he's gotten with the Patronous charm since his third year connecting the films together and showing how far Harry has gone. Maybe the whole Advanced gaurd would have showed up and you'd have Order members crowding in from either sides of the underway and two of them would volunteer to carry Dudley back home, maybe Tonks would help Harry try to lift Dudley and we'd have a little dialog establishing her. It'd fit if the OOTP title is revealed when Harry sends the dementer away. How fitting for the Order of the Phoenix to appear the moment after the title is revealed? They could have just explained that he was expelled from Hogwarts pending a trial at Grimmauld Place which would go better with the scene where they are explaining how Fudge is trying to dis-credit him: "He's now even trying to expel you from Hogwarts for using the Patronous charm!" The only problem is we lose the bit where Harry is isolated at Privet Drive and it's a dark moment when we think he'll never go back to Hogwarts, but you could substitute it with Harry feeling the same way in Grrimauld Place and Harry would talk to Sirius about this, thus earning another Sirius scene int he process and Sirius would say how he feels the same way about being trapped so Harry's letter to Padfoot would make sense when he says: "I know you of all people would understand" Not to mention we'd have more time to establish and get to know Grimmauld Place and the Order of the Phoenix instead of wasted time at Privet Drive. Man this film is choppy!
That is a pretty great interpretation of how another opening could work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
This film has by far the weakest and dullest 1st Act of the series. From the uninspired opening credits, to the realistically 'meh' overhead view of Little Whinging, to the unrealisticaly polite/hot mom who has three kids old enough to be her younger siblings, to the stale unphased reaction of the old lady, to the even duller and dramatically muted portrayal of the Dursleys. Within these first ten minutes one can consider that David Yates makes someone like Chris Columbus look like an absolute creative genius. The guy just has NO creative flare whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Emperor View Post
NOTHING short of a lobotomized chimp can make Columbus look like a creative genius.
Actually underscore isn't all that far off base. As much as I'd lament saying this (it will come back to haunt me I know) but Columbus at least he KNOWS what style he wants even though it was a poor choice at times. He might have done wrong but at least you could recognize how he did it. Yates on the other hand...his style is indistinct. It is like a "National Lampoon" parody but serious. Like you said, it isn't necessarily bad...what worked worked, but it hardly advances the director's own personal stylistic choices when it's so reliant on inbreeding with the styles that came beforehand.
Quote:
Personally, I don't mind the blandness of the opening act. It's been said by the actors and his reputation previous to making OOTP that he is an actor's director. Even if the filming and the look of the scene was off, as has been noted by the others, the actual confrontation between Dudley and Harry was done pretty well. I believe that this will be a trend we will see throughout the movie; Meh scene-making, good/excellent acting.
Exactly. There are great acting spots, great ideas of themes but poor execution in presentation.
Quote:
I await the unveiling of zee next chapter meester dahwin. (On a Bond binge, so forgive me. :P)
Vell Meester Emperor....I hope you have a good view....a view to A KILL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
Okay, my first actual chapter discussion on this thread.
Right on!
Quote:
This scene is a bit of a mixed bag for me. First off, on a positive note, the theme of isolation and separation so prominent in this story was introduced nicely, I thought. The images we get (that huge mass of near-identical houses, cutting to the deserted field Harry walks in, Harry watching the mother and son on the carousel) aren't exactly subtle in their intent, but it works for me. And, yes, Dudley's taunts are definitely more brutal than they were in the book, and that was for the better, in my opinion. If they keep the Dursleys' last scene in for Deathly Hallows, I think Dudley's redemptive moment there might just play even better now. But, I digress...
On a serious note. I don't mind digressing. IMHO this film is ALL about digressing because there is so much to reference for the past movies and potential future ones. It's through digressing that we get new ideas and new strings of thoughts. Just like now, when you said about Dudley's redemptive moment being play out better...it totally make sense. I talked about the acting capability but you talked about the thematic contrast which is brilliant.
Quote:
Overall, the sequence works, but I don't think it was all it could have been. What makes this scene for me, really, are Daniel's and Harry's performances.
Yes that's basically it. When considering that that is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris93 View Post
Wow, I am late! *runs in from the side*
*Falls down from push*

CAREFUL NOW!
Quote:
First scene... I loved this the first second I saw it, although it's difficult to pinpoint exactly why. I never saw the radio as particularly dull or trying to show the muggle world in a negative way. No, I was thrilled that they had even included the hot weather, which wasn't needed at all. (The contrast between a sunny day and the darkness from the Dementors could have been done without including the heatwave). I love when they include small things from the book when they don't really have to!
I like it as well especially when it works within the film context...but you already know that don't you?
Quote:
I agree that this was the most active and cruel Dudley we've ever seen - I found it very good and very believable. Which makes it a bit odd to me why they never, in any movie, manage to portray the Dursley parents as anything but comic book style?! I love the Dursley scenes in the books, but I have to admit that this was very, very disappointing in OotP. Too quick and short (as always) and too little dialogue. They are missing out on so much - like Petunia's knowledge about the wizarding world, for instance. (And Uncle Vernon's hilarious "OWLS!").
Well I think that the Dursleys were always sort of comedic in the sense that JKR made them out to be in order to make the muggle world as unappealing as it should be. Kinda boring, kinda stupid, kinda cockeyed as I mentioned before. Like you I'm glad that it had more teeth this time around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnIllusion View Post
Ah, the first scene, and my first discussion on the chapter by chapter! I'm so excited!
As you SHOULD BE *HIGH FIVES*

Quote:
Similarly, I thought the field was... interesting. Personally, I didn't like it much. I've always imagined Little Whinging as a mousy suburb; I've never pictured a countryside field. The park was lovely, however, despite the too early sun of the day. I expected twilight... I think that would've made a better impact.
I wouldn't say the field was especially beautiful. If you ever lived in a small town a field of grass (especially driy grass) is kind of uninspired.
Quote:
Alas, however, Yates chose the scorching light of day, and here comes Dudley and his cronies! I've always pictured Big D with a certain "I'm actually a baby, but I'll pretend to be all growned up!" aura about him. At first glance, I found the portrayal a bit odd. Slowly, but surely, though, I grew rather fond of his cross-eyed babyface. I cannot complain. The gang, on the other hand? Ick. The editting was off as well, and that might've skewed what the actors actually did, but I had to force myself not to notice them. They were too distracting. The blue lights, too, were incredibly off... I'm pretty sure night doesn't spread sapphire light; nor do dementors! At least, not in my experience as a human being or a survivor of monsters (the soul-sucking sort, of course).
IMHO I feel that the gangsta clothing is indication enough. Even with people who fit the roles look ridiculously stupid in those outfits. Dangerous yes, but ridiculous. 40's suits are the road to coolness and adulthood, not the thug life.
Quote:
Nonetheless, the dementors are after Harry, and my heart is racing! Goodness, what a lovely running scene. In the cinematic sense, at least, I liked it very much. But it turns out that the greater portion of my brain wants things to be adapted well from the book... And I suppose I will have to step up and be the one to point out all the things they should've kept in or kept right! It's a dirty job... but somebody's gotta do it
You will have the gratitude of many on this board as well with mine for taking up such a monumental task. If you ever need to discuss something regarding the thread just PM me.
Quote:
Anyway, this running scene: It was nothing like the book, unfortunately, and I feel it took away a bit from Harry's character. As mentioned, Dudley runs from Harry, into the danger, and Harry goes out of the way to save him. I can't complain though, because Dudley's characterization was nicely adapted by the change. After cruelly tormenting Harry, he runs screaming after his "wimpy" cousin, into the night! And Harry still saves his cousin, so I'm still smiling.
While it did take away from Harry's character a bit or at least reinterpretted it as I said earlier, I think the running sequence was more emphasis on the scare rather than Harry's character. Quite a shame though, but as mentioned before I think it's good to look away from that to emphasize that Harry is mad as hell and he's not going to take it anymore.
Quote:
Location, on the other hand? Does this fit the description of Little Whinging? Is it anywhere near where Mrs. Figg would find Harry?
I think this is where the book actually supports the theory of Dumbledore actually assigning Ms. Figg to keep an eye on Harry. It make sense because Ms. Figg can follow Harry anywhere....it's not like Harry has a bike to ride or even allowed to use his broom. The fact that she was so close should be easy enough. Considering that she's keeping an eye on the boy I imagine she has a lot of muggle spy equipment in that baggage of hers. BINOCULARS OF A VOYEUR.

Quote:
The underpass is very symbolic and beautiful in an urban sense, but it doesn't make sense. I much prefer an alley... because no matter how suburban an area, there is a sense of darkness. Continuity, too, is messed with. In PoA, there is a boring neighborhood, without giant fields of the countryside and random underpasses of the big city. How do we go from matching houses and perfect streets, to giant, dry fields and empty countryside parks, all the way back to a graffiti-filled underpass?
It isn't all that uncharacterisitc. Being so boring I imagine there are people who go to the underpass to release some frustrations through graffiti. Coming from a small town a LOT of road structures on the highway have graffiti. As for the dry fields, once again not uncharacteristic of a small suburban village especially if they need a highway to get anywhere which makes the underpass work. But that's just my own experience, it is a bit weird at times especially when I saw the Mac Truck go over the underpass. That was just waaaaay to much modern muggle culture IMHO.
[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMuggle View Post
Dudley just looked hilarious in this scene (very 'pimped out') and I like that they decided to add his gang with him to make Harry feel even more isolated (Dudley & his gang vs. him). It's hard to tell but Harry is holding a newspaper (trying to look for info on Voldemort's return) but I wish they had a clearer shot of this to tell the non-book reading audience that he's desperate for news-although I guess it's not really important and it's later established when he's talking to Ron/Hermione in Grimmauld Place.
Exactly. I think while this a film that is truly about the movie, there are a LOT of things that things specifically for book-fans. The newspaper, the radio, Kreacher and a various heck of a lot of other things.


Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:34 pm
yoshi2542's Avatar
yoshi2542  Male.gif yoshi2542 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4980 days
Location: London
Age: 31
Posts: 796
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Quote:
Originally posted by DarwinMayflower
While I agree, once again I don't like the intrusion of such Muggle culture into the movie. Not that I don't mind muggle intrusion but not one that is relatively time specific. IMHO what all of the movies great is that it is somewhat of a time warp. It could have occured in the 60's all the way up to today. However having something as cultural relative such as graffiti is something that that sort of brings me out of the world of Potter and into the world of now. However I can't fault them for that because it does make the underpass look AWESOME; much like the set design in Hostel.
Yeah, previous movies have looked at Muggles and their world rather cock-eyed, as a sort of curio, and OOTP really keeps the Muggle world very grounded and very gritty, at least during the opening. Personally, I think the subway was a good idea, there is one just like that round the corner from where I live, they certainly exist out in the suburbs, and I think in this case a fresh backdrop helped. Their is a certain eeriness to to the underpass that I like, with it's lights flickering and the water running in, and I think that manages to offset the normality of it.

Quote:
It's funny that we also have differing opinions on why we don't like Ms. Figg. Me personally once again the lack of sort of anything distinctly wizarding about here aka she's too much like a muggle. However I guess being a squibb it makes sense. Problem is she's just so bland. I do like what she says but nothing really pops out from her. She certainly doesn't command the screen. I expected her to be in more fear than Harry considering she can't even cast a patronus charm or at least be more shaken up. But I guess it creates a precedent for how brave members of the Order are. I don't like her not because she isn't like her book counterpart (of which I even forgotten what she was like) but like Yoshi said...really sort of bland.
My recollection of the book is limited, but all I recall is that she was batty. In the movie, she just says her lines. No quirks, no nuance, she just does the lines and gets on with it. I'm kind of surprised they bothered to even put her in the movie. The portrayal is so devoid of character it actually takes me out of the scene a little bit. Harry Potter nearly died on your watch, and you're behaving as though it's all in a day's work. The lack of any wizardishness actually prompted my non-reader friend to comment "Why the heck would Dumbledore leave someone so useless in charge of protecting Harry?" All they had to do was give her a wand and a bit of personality and it would work, but as it is, the slavish adherence to the book in terms of her magical ability makes both Dumbledore and Figg look bad. A better adaptation would have had Lupin (as others have suggested) or Hagrid ( that way he can still be in the movie but without Grawp), and if either was at the trial you coud even squeeze in something about Umbridge's prejudice against half-breeds without having to clumsily introduce that with Sirius in the fire.



Last edited by yoshi2542; December 20th, 2007 at 10:47 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:23 pm
Pearl_Took's Avatar
Pearl_Took  Female.gif Pearl_Took is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4249 days
Location: The Shire
Posts: 3,634
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnIllusion View Post
Location, on the other hand? Does this fit the description of Little Whinging? Is it anywhere near where Mrs. Figg would find Harry? The underpass is very symbolic and beautiful in an urban sense, but it doesn't make sense. I much prefer an alley... because no matter how suburban an area, there is a sense of darkness. Continuity, too, is messed with. In PoA, there is a boring neighborhood, without giant fields of the countryside and random underpasses of the big city. How do we go from matching houses and perfect streets, to giant, dry fields and empty countryside parks, all the way back to a graffiti-filled underpass? Yates tries too hard to make Harry isolated in all of these settings, and in turn, takes away from what I liked at the beginning. The perfect neighborhood, suburban aspect represents everything that the wizarding world is not... And Harry is stuck there. Now, however, Harry can be in the countryside and the city, too? Maybe this is just my vision of Little Whinging, wrecked, but the spasmodic quality makes me feel like we're trying for too much drama, especially in just the first chapter!
Firstly, the location.
Does Rowling ever actually give a detailed description of Little Whinging? Little Whinging is not a real place or a real name, of course, but it's in Surrey. I know Surrey extremely well. It's a pretty county, with plenty of fields, but also very heavily populated. Therefore Little Whinging could either be a) a suburb of Greater London, right on the fringes of the countryside (which is precisely the kind of area I live in) or b) a commuter town surrounded by fields. In any case, it is more than conceivable that a Greater London suburb or a Surrey town would have an underpass somewhere, going underneath a busy A road or even the M25! There's an underpass very near where I live.

The landscape in the opening sequence of the film is very recognisably South East England. Slightly flat, not as rolling or hilly as the western parts of England.


Secondly, the drama.

Too much drama???!!! Good grief, I've paid good money to see a HP film. I want drama. Lay it on me in spades. The opening sequence of the OotP movie was brilliant: dark, foreboding ... beautiful. Isolated Harry, wistfully watching the mother and her children ... perfect. This sequence thrilled me on first viewing: I knew this film would deliver.

I really am not understanding the complaints about the depiction of Muggle culture. Rowling does this in the books. The OotP movie deliberately had a more gritty, 'realistic' feel to it, especially in how it depicted Muggle culture, and I don't think this was overdone at all ... we're back in wizarding world soon enough! The OotP movie signals to the audience that Harry Potter is growing up, and the series will grow ever darker.


__________________

Last edited by Pearl_Took; December 20th, 2007 at 11:26 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old December 21st, 2007, 5:51 am
Dark Emperor  Male.gif Dark Emperor is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 5442 days
Location: The Cave
Age: 31
Posts: 526
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Darwin defending Columbus? WHAAA?!

Well I'll let you take this one, though I'm sure Yates is going somewhere with this style mashup....and while its a bit of a stretch, I (and anyone who has done any film study whatsoever) would know that directors can be RIDICULOUSLY subtle in their messages when it comes to their styles....

Not to worry. I will haunt you for your defense of the man-child when the time is right.

On with zee next scene Mishter Shtamper..er..Darwin.


__________________
The Emperor has Spoken

Proud to have proclaimed BOTH Battles of Hogwarts two books early!
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old December 21st, 2007, 5:54 am
MasterOfDeath's Avatar
MasterOfDeath  Male.gif MasterOfDeath is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4358 days
Age: 30
Posts: 3,147
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Anyone notice the visual connection between Harry bouncing out of the swing and charging towards Dudley with his wand with an angry, tortured expression just when Dementers storm in and Harry charging Bellatrix in the Ministry of Magic and actually using his wand on her with a pained ANGRY expression on his face just as the storm of Voldemort soars in? Dudley taunts Harry that he has no family. Bellatrix taunts Harry about the fact that he's just lost the only family he has left. Nice symmetry.


Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old December 21st, 2007, 6:40 am
underscore  Undisclosed.gif underscore is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4727 days
Age: 33
Posts: 397
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Anyone notice the visual connection between Harry bouncing out of the swing and charging towards Dudley with his wand with an angry, tortured expression just when Dementers storm in and Harry charging Bellatrix in the Ministry of Magic and actually using his wand on her with a pained ANGRY expression on his face just as the storm of Voldemort soars in? Dudley taunts Harry that he has no family. Bellatrix taunts Harry about the fact that he's just lost the only family he has left. Nice symmetry.
I know. Isn't J.K. Rowling the coolest?


Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old December 21st, 2007, 6:54 am
MasterOfDeath's Avatar
MasterOfDeath  Male.gif MasterOfDeath is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4358 days
Age: 30
Posts: 3,147
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

She is but I'm talking about the visual symmetry in the film.


Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old December 21st, 2007, 8:50 pm
Tabris93  Female.gif Tabris93 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4988 days
Age: 41
Posts: 186
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Darwin defending Colombus? Let me savour this moment...

As for the blue tint... that was one of the major reasons for me disliking PoA. It is slightly more suitable for this film, I'll give them that, but I still don't like it. The way I picture the Potterverse when I read the books doesn't change in tone colour, so I find it odd that the movie does. They should have stayed with the more realistic GoF tone.


Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old December 21st, 2007, 9:00 pm
Phrozenone's Avatar
Phrozenone  Male.gif Phrozenone is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4799 days
Location: Arizona
Posts: 608
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris93 View Post
Darwin defending Colombus? Let me savour this moment...

As for the blue tint... that was one of the major reasons for me disliking PoA. It is slightly more suitable for this film, I'll give them that, but I still don't like it. The way I picture the Potterverse when I read the books doesn't change in tone colour, so I find it odd that the movie does. They should have stayed with the more realistic GoF tone.
I love how out of everything Darwin said the most powerful thing was that he actually defended Columbus Look what you've done Darwin, they'll never let you live it down now...

Tabris! I forgot to say 'YAY TABRIS IS HERE!!!!' when you first made your late post So here it is *clears throat* YAY TABRIS IS HERE!!!

*Pulls out wand*

Now lets get ready to battle
Quote:
I really am not understanding the complaints about the depiction of Muggle culture. Rowling does this in the books. The OotP movie deliberately had a more gritty, 'realistic' feel to it, especially in how it depicted Muggle culture, and I don't think this was overdone at all ... we're back in wizarding world soon enough! The OotP movie signals to the audience that Harry Potter is growing up, and the series will grow ever darker.
Agreed. One thing Order did wonderful was make it feel like this whole magical world could be happening right under our noses and we don't realize it. I never REALLY got that from the previous movies much (Except for maybe the Knight Bus scene in POA....yay shrunken head lol)


Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:50 pm
Tabris93  Female.gif Tabris93 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4988 days
Age: 41
Posts: 186
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Thanks a bunch, Phrozenone!

Yup, wands out, everyone - ready for the next scene!


Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old December 22nd, 2007, 1:04 am
DarwinMayflower  Male.gif DarwinMayflower is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4744 days
Posts: 561
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Previous Chapter Posts
OoTP Chp 1: Dudley Demented


Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Chapter 2: The Advance Guard

So we come back to Privet Drive. I like the use of sprinklers to show that it is a hot day and you have to water the lawn even though I still think the emphasis on it seemed pointless. However a great little...contrast between the sprinklers is with the rain that we saw earlier created by a natural (or unnatural occurrence) whereas with the sprinklers it's something completely controlled. Something inherent in the nature of the residents of Privet Drive and especially the Dursleys who love their normalcy and their ability to control it around them.

Right off the bat a bit of a complaint, Harry carrying Dudley. I'm not say he can't but it looks more like Dudley has him in a headlock and dragging Potter along rather than Potter actually carrying him or at least propping him up. Nevertheless Dudley looks hilarious walking around in a daze.

Ms. Figg...well she pipes up a bit more but what's interesting about her is the insight she gives into Harry's character. She is amazed at how stupid Harry by her statement that they told him he was intelligent...which is the actual correct thing to say. Rather than reasonably and logically figuring a lot of things out in this installment, he's totally running on instinct and emotion. The interesting thing is that despite being so plain, I feel a bit more sincerity from her as a character than most other third bit characters we've seen before. She really sort of shines not as a caricature of offended spitting Easter Europeaners or Super French Giantesses but as someone who isn't as insanely over the top. She seems more brave than we give her credit for.

So now we have Petunia and Vernon. I really don't know who picked out the fashion choice for Petunia, but that dress will haunt my nightmares forever. I don't fashion her ugly but for someone of her age or more obviously her character to be wearing something so sort of revealing...it frightens me. I mean it is somewhat cute because it iis in the style of a 50's era dress:


Which might fit right in line with Petunia's very conservative and "normal" philosophy. She would want to dress of something that reminded her of beauty but not other people. Vernon on the other hand has also gone Friday casual in a beachcombers look which makes sense. The emphasis of being the hottest day of the year is apparent in both in their style of wear but once again pointing out it's hot hardly makes sense to me at this point of time. The occurrence of something impossibly cold happening on the hottest day in the past, do we really need reminding for a point that is so haphazardly connected that it's trying to make up for some shortcoming?

Vernon however displays far less aggravation IMHO. I mean it's nice that he isn't blowing his stack but this time his boy has been attacked. It doesn't help that english vernacular has been liberally spread around to make it more english but instead makes it sound more awkward and unreal. I haven't heard anyone use the term yumpy and I half expect there will be more instances of this.

The set design looks great. A bit darker colours than PoA's, far less well lit than CoS' and PS' but I love the colour scheme. It doesn't look so much alive as it is a real home. That really perhaps someone might live in this place rather than some pastel hyper-reality. The howler animates well but the design...I still like the CoS howler better. There's something more lively in CoS's howler than just a pair of moving lips.

And so we enter some more references. First with the very angry Harry slamming his fists into the cupboard which mimics PoA Chp 2: Aunt Marge's Big Mistake


and his wake up due to hearing voices in his head ala CoS Chp 16: No Longer Safe and waking up with eyes opening.


The former is pretty obvious but the latter could be applied to anything really. However what I find most interesting about this scene is this is a far more adult looking Harry than before in a scene with his parents. While GoF tried to retain his youth with long hair, in OoTP it looks like he aged 2 years. IMHO I feel this is probably the best looking combination of Harry, at this age, with his parents. I don't know why but it seems he looks just right to be the actors who play James and Lily's son rather than Danial Radcliffe with some random actors. Basically they look like a family unit.

As we continue on, we get a glimpse at the Order we enter into exposition land. I don't think there was any way around in introducing these people. There was just something so heavy-handed in Moody growling everyone's name in reaction to not being as paranoid as him. Showing Tonk's ability to shapeshift was far too direct for me and well...it's just a scene that's only memorable for being more function than any sort of style at all. Another nice nod to CoS is: Rescuing Harry much like in CoS Chp 3: Car Rescue. Although I quite forget if those were the exact words that any of the Order decided to use in retrieving Harry from the Dursleys from the book.

The flight over London...it's alright. Certainly not as exciting as GoF's or PoA's broom flights but really it sort of reminds me of the slower paced and enjoyable atmosphere of PoA Chp 10: Buckbeak. It's just a nice scenic flight, the second time in a muggle city with CoS Chp 7: Flying to Hogwarts being the first time. There nothing of interest since no one aside from Tonks and Harry are clearly seen riding their brooms. Although I had a hard time making it out, I think Moody with his bum leg is styling with a "Chopper" style broom on which he sits on it like an Easy Rider. That man certainly knows how to ride in style.


Sorry I don't have much more insight into this but IMHO this was a pretty boring part when I first saw it and it gets even worst with repeated viewings. Nothing of great significance comes out of this for me at least.

Things of Note
  • Music used in the scene: Track 17: Flight of the Order of the Phoenix.
    Music Cue list greatly supplied by The Harry Potter Lexicon

  • Comparison of OoTP and PoA's James and Lily Potter photographs. OoTP isn't sepia this time around.


  • In an effort for continuity, Harry clearly got back some of his souveneirs from the QWC from GoF; despite the campground being reduced to charred remains. HA HILARIOUS!


  • What always amazes me for continuity is how they manage to keep Harry's room the same every single time. When the time comes to compare the various sets with similarities and differences, it'll be nice to note the art that Harry made and where it is every time in each new installment.


  • A photograph of all the brooms of the Advance Guard and Harry. Coincidentally Tonks seems to have the same version of broom as Harry which would make sense for her to kind of smile at him and enjoy the ride to London.

Just to inform you people, future posts will be done after the new year. You can still discuss this in the meanwhile, but considering it's the holidays, I imagine we'd all like to spend it with some family and loves ones than in front of a keyboard. Merry Christmas to you all and have fun on your holidays. Keep your minds sharp because who knows when this'll pop up again.


Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old December 22nd, 2007, 2:40 am
Phrozenone's Avatar
Phrozenone  Male.gif Phrozenone is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4799 days
Location: Arizona
Posts: 608
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

I actually like Mrs. Figg in this scene better than her introduction that's for sure. I still find Dudley's gaze into the unknown funny but I must agree with the fact that it doesn't seem like Harry is really carrying the kid.

Giving Mrs. Figg the line that Sirius (or was it Mr. Weasley) gave Harry about 'Don't leave the house' was nice aswell I think. I still find it weird that this old lady is wearing a rain coat during the hottest day of the year, but I will move on.

The Dursley's this time around seemed a little odd (I've been using that word alot huh?) I guess they were a little more, animated, than I remember them. Petunia takes the phrase 'hot momma' to another level. I find it really funny that because of the heat Petunia has thrown every image out of the window lol. Vernon eating ice cream in the freezer. I for one actually like that they kept up the heat thing Darwin because it would've seemed odd for the radio announcement to be there at all if after the dementor attack the heat kind of disappeared.

Also we have the news anchor (Ted Tonks perhaps?) talking about how hot it is. Vernon seems a little tired this time around now. I love you yumpy line though lol So Harry brings in Dudley and is sitting alone in the other room (Another isolation shot) and the Dursley's try to find out what happened. In comes a nice owl that has a bad case of Errol from COS lol I don't know why but owls running into things just make me laugh everytime.

I thought the howler was clever (Using the sticker as a mouth and such) and I"m actually glad they cut out most of the howlers that were in the book. Of course it would be funny to hear Vernon yell about 'OWLSSSS!!!!!' every few seconds, but seeing as I wasn't even expecting an owl when I first watched this film, one is enough imo. We've already had the warning from Mrs. Figg not to leave and now Harry is expelled.

I absoultely loves Dan's reaction in this shot. It's kind of a blank stare, like he doesn't know how to react and that he's numb on the inside. In the book during this he was of course arguing with his relatives the whole time so to see this side of Harry was refreshing I think. The Dursley's taking Dudley to the car adds to there 'animation' I think. I love how they're trying to hide their sons condition from the neighhbor. I wonder did it hurt when he bumped his head like that though? lol Mrs. Figg seems to be a nosey neighbor though, shouldn't be feeding her cats or something?

Glad you noticed the similarites to Harry's reaction in his room. It stood out to me like a sore thumb. We get the hit (and kick) and a shot of his parents dancing (Without 'Window's From the Past' playing in the background this time around though ) and the screen slowly darkens.

Here we have our first dream sequence of the film. This scene is interesting because it shows just how different Dan looked a film ago. We get to witness Cedrics death again and Voldemorts eye opening (Which Harry really never saw....Harry just saw the back of his head if we want to get technical...but maybe I'm just looking to much into it )

There's was an interview I read a while back where Yates said that in a scene when he was supposed to be waking up from a nightmare he overacted. He kinda 'jumped up' and did this looking around thing and Yates wasn't buying it. "Is that really how people act when they wake up from nightmares?" Dan wasn't breathing or panting as in movies past this time, he just simply opened his eyes with this AMAZING expression imo.

Enter the Advanced Guard. Where there are OBVIOUS differences from the book here. One Harry actually goes down to meet them in the kitchen, Lupin is there, and they leave in the backyard. I love how they threw in Tonks 'they're mighty clean...' line. I was so hoping that when Harry called Moody Professor however that he barked at him 'Professor? I didn't get around to much teaching last year did I?" just to kinda remind the audience that the Moody we thought we knew last year was a skinny crazed guy from Azkaban with a tongue twitch.

So we find out that Harry isn't expelled and that Dumbledore has called for a hearing. I like Shacklebolt I think they cast him wonderfully. Tonks aswell and I think the whole hair changing thing was just...once again...for the book fans (Yates seemed to do this alot) Interesting tidbit that I'm sure all of you know. Tonks hair was originally pink as in the book...BUT seeing as Umbrige color is pink and that in this film pink represents evil they decided to go with purple so people wouldn't get confused. One thing Nat Tina said was that the filmakers are very careful about what they do and don't like to take many risks.

This is also our first glimpse of Moody's 'Magic stick of wonder' I mean seriously where can I find one of those things? It does EVERYTHING. He summons the brooms with just a tap of his magic stick (I didn't notice that till the I got the DVD Funnily enough, for some reason I always thought they were just standing there) Kudos on pointing out Moody's pimped out broom...I wish they would've highlighted it more because it's awesome lol

The travel to Grimmauld Place is a very cool shot I think. Much better than flying over the city to avoid the sight of Muggle's seeing them as in the book huh? The music in this scene has a nice....what's the word...drive to it. I actually love near the end of the shot that Moody's coat tail kinda hits the water, nice little addition to make it seem more real and not just actors in a green room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinMayflower View Post
Just to inform you people, future posts will be done after the new year. You can still discuss this in the meanwhile, but considering it's the holidays, I imagine we'd all like to spend it with some family and loves ones than in front of a keyboard. Merry Christmas to you all and have fun on your holidays. Keep your minds sharp because who knows when this'll pop up again.
Of course Darwin and happy holiday's to you aswell buddy! Don't eat to much where you'll get sick and have fun! Merry Christmas and thanks once again for this amazing topic. See ya soon!!


Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old December 22nd, 2007, 8:08 am
underscore  Undisclosed.gif underscore is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4727 days
Age: 33
Posts: 397
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Again, very dull and clumsy. Yates basically decides to place four talented actors as backdrops to let a semi-decent computer generated object soak up all the limelight of this entire scene. Watching Vernon in front of the fridge was rather cute though. I also don't know if it was intentional as a gag, but it's kind of bizzare seeing Dan (talking to Figgy) acting like he's struggling to carry the Dudley actor when he can clearly be seen walking on his own two feet in the shot.

The fade out to the Goblet flashback was nice, despite the uninspired POA rehash of seeing Harry bang on something in anger and then looking at his parents' moving picture. Meh.

The Advance guard also felt very contrived and staged. The lines seem forced and the whole flying sequence is quite cheerful and doesn't fit in as a segway from the dark flashback to the dark and creepy house of Black. Perhaps different music might have made all the difference; especially since the visuals of them flying over the buildings and the Thames are so gorgeously shot. Stylistically this theme just doesn't mesh with the rest of the soundtrack and it sounds more like something you'd hear in a cartoon. At least Columbus & Williams' Potter sounded like an actual Disney movie whereas Yates and Hooper's attempt just sounds like a lower budget cartoon that's TRYING to be like a Disney movie.

It's also bizzare when The advance guard first walks into Harry's room because in the first shot--more noticably than the rest of them--Tonks is looking into the room as if no one is there, then we cut to Harry looking at them--who is clearly in her view despite the darkness--and then we cut back to Tonks and the rest now looking just slightly more towards the audience's direction, i.e. now looking AT Harry rather than looking at his right shoulder :/

AND NOW THE WORST FOR LAST: This is the first of many moments when we see Yates making his actors stand still in an awkward unnatural way after everyone in the Advance Guard exits the house. WHY do they form a line and look towards the opposite direction in order to summon their brooms? And WHY do they do it one by one? It feels as if we're suddenly watching a play. Tsk, Tsk.



Last edited by underscore; December 22nd, 2007 at 2:50 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old December 22nd, 2007, 9:06 am
Tabris93  Female.gif Tabris93 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4988 days
Age: 41
Posts: 186
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

As for "playing the hot weather card", I would say I would find it even more odd if the Dursleys wore normal clothes and didn't seem to react to the warmth at all. When that is said, I found the scene... uncomfortable. It doesn't seem natural, the scene with the Dursleys, but again I'm having trouble pinpointing why.

Was that a Howler?! Oh, goodness... I didn't like it all, whether it was meant to be a Howler or a regular letter. It does annoy me a bit when the director puts his own creativity stick first, and the continuity second. (Darwin saying something from CoS was good?! Wow! Must be the Christmas spirit!)

Thanks for the comparisons, Darwin, really interesting. And I LOVED seeing the Quidditch posters and stuff - I never noticed them in the movie.

I think Tonks were brilliant. Superb casting! The "Don't call me Nymphadora"-line does make me cringe a bit, but every canon is good canon, ey?

As for the flying sequence... I love, love, LOVE it! The music is one of the best themes in the entire score, and that scene alone was what dragged me back to the movie theathre three times. The joy of flying between Harry and Tonks, the music, the surroundings, the music, the filming, the music... one of the better scenes in the movie, as far as I see it.


Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old December 22nd, 2007, 9:37 am
Phrozenone's Avatar
Phrozenone  Male.gif Phrozenone is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4799 days
Location: Arizona
Posts: 608
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris93 View Post
I found the scene... uncomfortable. It doesn't seem natural, the scene with the Dursleys, but again I'm having trouble pinpointing why.
Yeah I feel the same way actually. Like I said before the first time I saw this film I thought the beginning just felt...odd. I'm with you on uncomfortable though.


Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old December 22nd, 2007, 9:48 am
yoshi2542's Avatar
yoshi2542  Male.gif yoshi2542 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4980 days
Location: London
Age: 31
Posts: 796
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

This chapter starts off well. Figg is much more batty, she talks to Harry like he's a simpleton which I find amusing, and her constant looking around gives her a good air of concern. Dudley's face is very funny, but his movement does not look right. He should be being dragged almost, whereas he is clearly walking for himself. The Dursley's are quite entertaining, I love Griffith's delivery of "Look at him, Petunia!" but there's something not quite right about Petunia's dress. It's a little too much. The Howler looks terrible, far too synthetic and unnatural. It moves far too smoothly, I preferred it in POA where most magic had a sort of wobbliness to it, an air of plausibility. The voice of Mafalda Hopkirk is done by Jessica Hynes (star of classic UK sitcom Spaced and Shaun of the Dead), but like Mrs Figg, I'm wondering why they couldn't have replaced her with someone else. A letter from Sirius, or Dumbledore maybe, even Umbridge or Fudge would have worked, because this feels like another bone tossed to fans where really they should be trying to get more important characters involved. I love Vernon putting the towel on Dudley's face as they get in the car.

The flashback is handled well, a good selection of shots and a convincingly disturbed reaction from Radcliffe. The Order's entrance is rubbish however. As you say underscore, the way Tonks looks around the room seems bizarre when Harry is so clearly visible dead ahead of them, and we get a forced bit of banter between her and Moody, which just seems like as an excuse to have someone say 'Tonks' onscreen before she is forgotten about along with the rest of these characters.

The broom flight I don't like. The way they line up in the street and call their brooms is ridiculous. I don't know whether it happened in the book, but surely this is about as direct a contravention of the Statute of Secrecy as you can get. George Harris is great as Kingsley, but the banter between Moody and Tonks again feels forced. I don't know what non-readers would make of their exchange, what does 'Nymphadora' mean to a non-reader? I don't think her hair changing was noticeable enough either. The actual flight looks fake, the lack of spray from the water reminds me of the speeder bike chase from Return of the Jedi (where none of the foliage was disturbed by these incredibly fast bikes zooming overhead), and the lack of reflections makes it look worse. It's not very well composited either, it looks like they've just cut and pasted the characters in. The music isn't as uplifting as William's Buckbeak music and there's something so uninteresting about the whole thing.



Last edited by yoshi2542; December 22nd, 2007 at 3:09 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old December 22nd, 2007, 4:26 pm
JustAnIllusion's Avatar
JustAnIllusion  Female.gif JustAnIllusion is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4435 days
Location: Montauk
Age: 28
Posts: 507
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
Yeah, previous movies have looked at Muggles and their world rather cock-eyed, as a sort of curio, and OOTP really keeps the Muggle world very grounded and very gritty, at least during the opening. Personally, I think the subway was a good idea, there is one just like that round the corner from where I live, they certainly exist out in the suburbs, and I think in this case a fresh backdrop helped. Their is a certain eeriness to to the underpass that I like, with it's lights flickering and the water running in, and I think that manages to offset the normality of it.
I guess I just found it odd that the gritty underpass was so very close to the country-esque field. The transition from day to night, though it's necessary, makes the difference even more apparent. I didn't know the two could be so close to one another.

And it's probably the Mrs. Figg actress that makes the character's arrival so odd as well. She doesn't look like she's watching Harry, but just taking a nice stroll past the busy highway. It seems very spasmodic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Secondly, the drama.
Too much drama???!!! Good grief, I've paid good money to see a HP film. I want drama. Lay it on me in spades.
Eh, maybe, but I don't think we should add extra drama for the sake of adding drama. I was just saying that they may be trying too hard. Just IMHO



And i'll read the new chapter soon. I'm a tad bit behind, you see

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinMayflower View Post
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Chapter 2: The Advance Guard
I wasn't very found of this chapter... Nothing stands out to me much, as right or wrong. It's just there, a filler, though there are some disappointments that I'll discuss further on.

Quote:
So we come back to Privet Drive. I like the use of sprinklers to show that it is a hot day and you have to water the lawn even though I still think the emphasis on it seemed pointless. However a great little...contrast between the sprinklers is with the rain that we saw earlier created by a natural (or unnatural occurrence) whereas with the sprinklers it's something completely controlled. Something inherent in the nature of the residents of Privet Drive and especially the Dursleys who love their normalcy and their ability to control it around them.
Emphasizing the fact that it's the hottest day of the year seems incredibly pointless to me. Being the amateur movie criticizer I am, however, I didn't even notice the thematic element of the controlled water sprinkling. It's very interesting now that I think about, though i'm sure the fact that it's really hot was long forgotten.

And then... I see...

Quote:
So now we have Petunia and Vernon. I really don't know who picked out the fashion choice for Petunia, but that dress will haunt my nightmares forever. I don't fashion her ugly but for someone of her age or more obviously her character to be wearing something so sort of revealing...it frightens me.
That! Goodness! Is this necessary? Does she want the neighbors talking? Golly gee, I don't need to see that much of this side of Petunia! It makes me twitch slightly, because it frightens me as well. In the book, of course, her fashions weren't described, because they never are... But somebody so based on what other people think of her wouldn't wear this sort of outfit. Her position doesn't help it all either.

Quote:
Vernon on the other hand has also gone Friday casual in a beachcombers look which makes sense. The emphasis of being the hottest day of the year is apparent in both in their style of wear but once again pointing out it's hot hardly makes sense to me at this point of time. The occurrence of something impossibly cold happening on the hottest day in the past, do we really need reminding for a point that is so haphazardly connected that it's trying to make up for some shortcoming?
Again, the heat references are a little very too much. Given that the heat mentions are not emphasized in the book at all now, why does it need to be made this apparent? Especially with Petunia, but I expressed my sentiments above on her ensemble . It's like, we must remind people that it was hot, but DEMENTORS MADE IT COLD! See? See?!

Quote:
Vernon however displays far less aggravation IMHO. I mean it's nice that he isn't blowing his stack but this time his boy has been attacked. It doesn't help that english vernacular has been liberally spread around to make it more english but instead makes it sound more awkward and unreal. I haven't heard anyone use the term yumpy and I half expect there will be more instances of this.
This made me rather angry, actually. I wanted Vernon to practically be wringing his hands around Harry's neck before ordering that his nephew has to hit the road. Then there was no "Remember my last", which I found to be an important aspect of the book. It develops that Dumbledore has written to Petunia before, and the fact that Harry has to remain in the house to be protected by his mother's love. It also reminds the audience that Petunia understands magic far more than she lets on.

And even despite that, there wasn't much of a reason to tone down Vernon's behavior, actually, because we need Harry to be spitting mad!The angrier he is about this, the angrier he gets about staying there until he can find out information, and the angrier he is when he gets to Grimmauld Place. In the book, actually, Vernon's reaction goes something like this:

Quote:
"BOY COME HERE!"
With a feeling of mingled dread and anger, Harry removed his foor slowly from the stair and turned to follow the Dursleys... Uncle Vernon was standing in front of the draining board, glaring at Harry through tiny, narrowed eyes. "What have you done to my son?" he said in a menacing growl.
And later:

Quote:
"NO, IT RUDDY WELL IS NOT ALL!" bellowed Uncle Vernon. "SIT BACK DOWN!"
And even later:

Quote:
"I see," said Uncle Vernon, looking form his white-faced wife to Harry and hitching up his trousers. He seemed to be swelling, his great purple face stretching before Harry's eyes. "Well, that settles it," se said, his shirt front straining as he iflated himself, "you can get out of this house, boy!"
"What?" said Harry.
"You heard me - OUT!" Uncle Vernon bellowed, and even Aunt Petunia and Dudley jumped.
But yes, my point is that Harry wasn't really, really angry until Uncle Vernon provoked him. He was more numb than anything, and I felt that the punching the wall wasn't as warranted as it could've been. I think, in all, the Dursleys aren't as played up as they were in the beginning.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinMayflower View Post
The set design looks great. A bit darker colours than PoA's, far less well lit than CoS' and PS' but I love the colour scheme. It doesn't look so much alive as it is a real home. That really perhaps someone might live in this place rather than some pastel hyper-reality. The howler animates well but the design...I still like the CoS howler better. There's something more lively in CoS's howler than just a pair of moving lips.
The moving lips were incredibly awkward for me. In the book, it wasn't even a howler that announced his expulsion, but I understand the need to make it so. But seriously, were the lips the right way to go? Throwing continuity out the window confuses some people, namely me. I've read the books, and I didn't know what they were trying to pull. I was thinking that maybe, in movieverse, ministry letters are all giant talking lips, because surely this isn't a howler? Howlers come in red envelopes and the literal letter yells to me. I just didn't think they fit as something that would belong.

Quote:
As we continue on, we get a glimpse at the Order we enter into exposition land. I don't think there was any way around in introducing these people. There was just something so heavy-handed in Moody growling everyone's name in reaction to not being as paranoid as him. Showing Tonk's ability to shapeshift was far too direct for me and well...it's just a scene that's only memorable for being more function than any sort of style at all.
I missed the details of the books in this scene. It was rushed to me... like the whole movie. They come really fast, go really fast, and then it's over. The audience, or me, at least, are thinking WTH just happened? Moody's character wasn't as I felt he should be - not as paranoid, not as cautious. He growls decently, I suppose. Tonks ability to shapeshift didn't fit her character well. She wasn't as energetic... kind of agressive, actually, because she was directly them not to call her Nymphadora. I would've much preferred her to say something on the lawn like, "Oi, I think I want a different style for when I come back..." or something. The scene didn't have to be as extensive as it was in the book, but they could've adjusted better than they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozenone View Post
Enter the Advanced Guard. Where there are OBVIOUS differences from the book here. One Harry actually goes down to meet them in the kitchen, Lupin is there, and they leave in the backyard. I love how they threw in Tonks 'they're mighty clean...' line. I was so hoping that when Harry called Moody Professor however that he barked at him 'Professor? I didn't get around to much teaching last year did I?" just to kinda remind the audience that the Moody we thought we knew last year was a skinny crazed guy from Azkaban with a tongue twitch.
Including that would've been a great idea. People may have forgotten him by now, or, at least, forgot that it wasn't actually him teaching. The fact that he was in a trunk the entire year wasn't really touched upon, and I think it's an important thing to reestablish.

Quote:
This is also our first glimpse of Moody's 'Magic stick of wonder' I mean seriously where can I find one of those things? It does EVERYTHING. He summons the brooms with just a tap of his magic stick (I didn't notice that till the I got the DVD Funnily enough, for some reason I always thought they were just standing there) Kudos on pointing out Moody's pimped out broom...I wish they would've highlighted it more because it's awesome lol
SERIOUSLY, where can I get one? If I can't find it on ebay, then I may just fly to London, steal his, and make sure they don't EVER use it in a movie again!

Quote:
The travel to Grimmauld Place is a very cool shot I think. Much better than flying over the city to avoid the sight of Muggle's seeing them as in the book huh? The music in this scene has a nice....what's the word...drive to it. I actually love near the end of the shot that Moody's coat tail kinda hits the water, nice little addition to make it seem more real and not just actors in a green room.
I really missed the paranoia of Moody at this point. By the time we lament his death, nobody will know who he is. Furthermore, nobody will care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris93 View Post
As for the flying sequence... I love, love, LOVE it! The music is one of the best themes in the entire score, and that scene alone was what dragged me back to the movie theathre three times. The joy of flying between Harry and Tonks, the music, the surroundings, the music, the filming, the music... one of the better scenes in the movie, as far as I see it.
It was beautifully shot, and I love how they fly, but I also think that they should've been a little more careful. What if a muggle saw?


__________________


"WHAT THE DEVIL IS GOING ON HERE?"
-AVPM.

Last edited by JustAnIllusion; December 23rd, 2007 at 1:27 am.
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old December 23rd, 2007, 1:17 am
IenjoyAcidPops's Avatar
IenjoyAcidPops  Male.gif IenjoyAcidPops is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4284 days
Location: The Angry Dome
Age: 30
Posts: 1,728
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozenone View Post
The Dursley's this time around seemed a little odd (I've been using that word alot huh?)
I totally know what you mean, though. On my first viewing, these first two scenes just seemed...off, I suppose. I've pointed out why when it comes to "Dudley Demented" (kinda) but here it's a little harder to pinpoint. I'll give it the ol' college try, though..

Firstly, I do think Kathryn Hunter is better in this scene, but by very little. She's trying to look troubled and anxious but I'm just not feeling it. And Dan; god bless him, he's trying to sell that he's dragging Dudley along, but it really does look like "Big D" has him in a headlock, doesn't it? Now, Phrozenone, you are absolutely right about the Dursleys seeming more animated than usual; at least, that's also how I felt. I mean, Fiona Shaw is actually just fine here - no complaints with her. But Richard Griffiths just goes a bit too over the top for my liking. I didn't really feel that Vernon had had enough of Harry's "nonsense". I do like the Dursleys trying to shield Dudley from the neighbors as they get him into the car, though. However, once again Dan nails just the right reaction after hearing the letter announce his expulsion; a perfect look of shock. Speaking of the letter, is it really supposed to be a Howler? 'Cause it's not very loud and it looks nothing like the one from CoS. I just took it as a plain-old Ministry letter, seeing as we've never seen one in the films, so why couldn't they talk, right? I actually quite liked the look of it. (BTW, the owl made me laugh as well; so did Errol. )

Oh, and "yumpy"? I'd never heard that one before:

Nothing to say about the dream, except I think it was a nice reminder and a good way to say that events from previous films will not be forgotten and that there will be some frightening imagery at later points.

And now the arrival of Harry's Guard. Something occured to me on my last viewing (#4) and i can't believe I hadn't really thought of it before. So "Mad-Eye" Moody - who Harry's never actually met - and four others who he doesn't have the slightest clue about show up in his room and he leaves without question? We don't even see them introduced ('though I guess Mad-Eye did that when they were walking downstairs)! Now, I know they had Lupin at Grimmauld Place at this point in the film, but I really wish they had kept Remus here instead. Moving on, Tonks' intro is rather strange. I mean, I like her "Very clean, these Muggles" and "Don't call me Nymphadora" lines, but did anyone who hadn't read the book even smile at them? It kinda felt like they were there just to give Natalia Tena (who I love as Tonks, by the way) a few more seconds on screen, in addition to appeasing some fanboys/girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozenone View Post
I was so hoping that when Harry called Moody Professor however that he barked at him 'Professor? I didn't get around to much teaching last year did I?" just to kinda remind the audience that the Moody we thought we knew last year was a skinny crazed guy from Azkaban with a tongue twitch.
I know! But that's exactly the kind of thing the movies cut; the character moments that do nothing to advance the plot for about 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozenone View Post
This is also our first glimpse of Moody's 'Magic stick of wonder' I mean seriously where can I find one of those things? It does EVERYTHING.
Ah, the Staff of Requirement. Yeah, it gets a bit silly later but, frankly, I didn't mind.

Now, the flight. What a frustrating bit! Yates shoots flying better than any of the others, I feel, and it's that which has me looking forward to his Quidditch material in HBP. But see, here's the thing: CoS told us that there was a Statute of Secrecy (I forget the exact term) so WHY ARE THEY FLYING AT GROUND LEVEL WHERE ANY MUGGLE CAN SEE THEM? Now, there is an answer: perhaps they placed Disilliusionment Charms on themselves, as in the book. But the movie didn't tell us that. I know it's better looking if they're flying alongside all the landmarks, but it's also just stupid. Sorry for the all-caps, but I just despise it.

I want to comment on the music now: I've gone back and forth so often about "Flight of The Order of the Phoenix". On the one hand, I like the piece and it is memorable (for me, anyway). On the other, I wonder if something a bit less like "action movie music" and more along the lines of "Buckbeak's Flight" would've worked better. I get that the situation is a more dangerous one, but I saw this as one of the few purely happy moments for Harry, so I would've preferred, something lighter, perhaps more string-heavy, you know? Please keep in mind, though, that this is from a total laymen when it comes to music.

Overall, it's not a standout scene, but it does it's job fairly well, I guess. I'll probably have more to say on chapter 3.


__________________
Veronica Mars is smarter than me.
(And her movie is available now!)


Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; January 17th, 2008 at 1:55 am.
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old December 23rd, 2007, 1:24 am
JustAnIllusion's Avatar
JustAnIllusion  Female.gif JustAnIllusion is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4435 days
Location: Montauk
Age: 28
Posts: 507
Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
The broom flight I don't like. The way they line up in the street and call their brooms is ridiculous. I don't know whether it happened in the book, but surely this is about as direct a contravention of the Statute of Secrecy as you can get.
It doesn't happen in the book. At all. Thank Merlin. Actually, what happens is:

Lupin leaves a letter for the Dursleys, telling them not to worry. Moody disillusions Harry, to make sure he's not seen in the air. I wish they would've added this.. The flight would've been less questionable. Tonks then counters Moody's paranoia with some carefree banter, which helps to characterize her. The brooms must've been with them from the get-go, because they strap Harry's trunk to a harness hanging from Tonks'. They continue with their leave from the garden. Then there's paranoia and swooping, to make sure muggles don't see them. This goes a bit into the next chapter, but I'll forget to write it then: Moody uses the Put-Outer, to make sure no muggles can see them coming into Grimmauld. It would've been a nice reflection back to our introduction to it in SS, and seeing as we need it for DH, they might've used it again here. They might've even used it at the Dursleys, seeing as they're not really in the garden. Of course, they can reintroduce the Put-Outer in HBP, and luckily, the streets just happen to be completely vacant, so it's not necessarily necessary.


__________________


"WHAT THE DEVIL IS GOING ON HERE?"
-AVPM.

Last edited by JustAnIllusion; December 23rd, 2007 at 1:31 am.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 1:54 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.