Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games

Fallout 3

Old January 4th, 2009, 5:28 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Fallout 3

I just got Fallout 3 for Christmas and I can't stop playing it. I never played the other two, so I'm new to the Fallout universe.
Anyone one else playing?

Is your character good or evil?
I'm an evil Reaver at the moment. Yesterday I was a very evil Pirate of the Waste. I'm not certain what I did to make myself less evil.
My brother's playing and he's a super good character. I can't remember exactly what his title is.

I'm really loving all the side quests and just being able to run around and find new towns.

The music is great too. I pre-ordered my copy and got a CD with some of the songs.

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2009, 9:07 am
Genius Loci

Re: Fallout 3

I got the game as well. I don't know my title but I play the good guy angle. I just can't blow up Megaton or do evil unto people.

The side quests are fantastic and the exploration is breathtaking. Some of the side missions are more interesting than the linear story can be. I really like walking the ruined streets of DC and taking out the Super Mutants with my laser rifle.

I'm happy about the new DLC coming. Operation: Anchorage coming at the end of January for PC & 360 users.

Old February 5th, 2009, 6:39 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

I never blew-up Megaton. It was nice to have a house there and places to go to trade. I still managed to reach level 20 with bad karma.

I agree the side missions were a bit more interesting that the linear plot. (And more time consuming too)

I finished the game weeks ago and now my husband is hogging it. I just want to start a new game.

Old March 16th, 2009, 8:20 pm
Genius Loci

Anyone got the expansion yet; Operation Anchorage? I'd recommend it just for the items you can get afterwards. The Chinese Stealth armor & gauss rifle are fantastic.

Old March 16th, 2009, 9:02 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Since I got it for the PS3, the expansions aren't available. I'm hoping they will be sooner or later.

Old March 16th, 2009, 10:18 pm
Genius Loci

Ah, that sucks. That annoys me a lot with games that offer exclusive DLC. If you make the game for cross platform, why not maximize your profit potentials and release the content for everyone? In the end, the player loses out.

Old March 26th, 2009, 10:22 pm
Genius Loci

Well I've been playing the DLC expansion The Pitt, set in the ruins of Pittsburgh. Very interesting expansion.

Spoiler: show

Unfortunately you cannot take any of your standard weaponry into the Pitt. You get frisked as you arrive at the Slavers headquarters and all you are left with is a .32 caliber and a few bullets that you somehow sneak past the guards, even though you're wearing barely no clothing as you're disguised as a slave. It's almost like starting over from scratch.

This expansion couldn't be any more morally frustrating. You think to yourself that freeing the slaves is a task worth doing, but as you go further into the story and you work your way to the goal of freeing them, it becomes more and more ambiguous. I find myself questioning the reasons.

Basically the Slavers have found a cure for radiation sickness. A baby is born to the chief, Ashur & his doctor wife. The baby is devoid of any symptoms. The slaves realize what's going on and want you to kidnap the baby and wipe out he slavers by releasing a pack of mutated humans, called Trogs onto the slavers. Now, let me just say, Trogs are very tough critters.

The problem is that as you get close to your goal you realize things about the Slaver chief & his wife. You discover audio recordings made by Ashtur to his daughter where he talks about his love for her and the decisions he's made to survive, whilst not acceptable were necessary.

You suddenly get this moral qualm. Do I kill Ashtur, his wife & set a plague of mutants onto the rest of the Slavers in order to free the slaves & cure them? I remember early in the Fallout 3 game when you meet a young boy who has lost his father to the mutated fire & soldier ant outbreak. He begs you to help him kill the ants & their queen. You do that and you help him find a new family to live with.

There's a certain satisfaction to uniting families in this game. Remember you're playing a game set 200 years after nuclear war has wiped nearly all life out. Your character has lost his own father. You cannot remember your mother. Separating a child from its parents in this game seems like the wrong thing to do, especially if your karma is Good aligned.

That said, I've completed the game by freeing the slaves, but you don't feel good about it. It's not like when you wipe out the slaver camp in Washington DC and free the kids & adults there. There was no real moral issue with that. But here I'm just a bit put off by what the former slaves ask of you.

The flip of this is that Ashtur asks you to kill the slave leader & side with him. So your choices will result in deaths a long the way. I just don't like the choice at all!

Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:43 am
First Year

I have played this! it's quite fun, and I was also happy when I found Dogmeat(the dog you can find). My character is good. and I thought the pitt wasn't working?

Old May 14th, 2009, 1:42 am
Dr Mrs The Monarch

The first two DLC's will be available on disc for the 360 in two weeks.
I'm still dying to play them. Since I have Fallout for the PS3, but I also have a 360, I'm thinking of trading in my game and getting it for the 360.

It just stinks because I prefer the PS3 over the 360.

Old July 29th, 2009, 10:44 pm
First Year

Ahh, Fallout 3. I recently decided to pick this game up myself and have been doing battle in the Wastelands of D.C. Wonderful fun, that it is.

I am curious, for those who play this game, what kind of character type do you generally play as? My little brother likes the run-and-gun method of ambushing and then using heavy weapons. Whereas myself, contradictory to my Gryffindor status, perhaps, I prefer more of a silent, stealthy approach... assassinating my enemies from the shadows. However, I am also strong enough to take enemies on in a straight-up fight, which is always entertaining. xD

So what does everyone else play as? :P

GRYFFINDOR
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:52 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

I usually just run into a fight, like your brother. I don't use heavy weapons, mostly shotguns and the like.

My husband is more into the silent approach.

I just got my Xbox online and downloaded Point LookOut and Broken Steel yesterday. I'm so happy.

Old July 30th, 2009, 7:23 am
First Year

I've been reading these posts and from what everyone seems to be saying its a game which is alot of fun to play I'm a big fan of rpg's and action games. I've read a review on IGN and it sounds great the problem is its about$120 which is quite a bit for a game, if its worth the money I'll buy it what do you guys think?

Made by Dem0ndrag0n
Old July 30th, 2009, 5:03 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalith View Post
I've been reading these posts and from what everyone seems to be saying its a game which is alot of fun to play I'm a big fan of rpg's and action games. I've read a review on IGN and it sounds great the problem is its about$120 which is quite a bit for a game, if its worth the money I'll buy it what do you guys think?
I didn't pay $120.00. For a new copy for either Xbox 360 or PS3, it should be $60.00. I think the PC one is around the same price. Now, you can find them cheaper, if you buy a used copy.

Maybe you were looking at a special edition that comes with other goodies, like the lunchbox or figures?

Granted, the DLC's are extra money, but you don't have to buy them.

Old July 30th, 2009, 7:50 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl View Post
I usually just run into a fight, like your brother. I don't use heavy weapons, mostly shotguns and the like.

My husband is more into the silent approach.

I just got my Xbox online and downloaded Point LookOut and Broken Steel yesterday. I'm so happy.
Ooh... good 'ol shotgun. hehe, excellent choice. xD How is Point Lookout? I heard it was designed for people who are into heavy-style combat, whereas the new alien one that's coming out is geared more towards stealthy combat. I am curious how the DC's that have come out are?

Quote:
lol, as what snapegirl said, the game should be like $60 or so. The only version that costs $120 is the uber fancy version that comes with a pipboy clock, art book bobblehead, etc. Which I find odd, because you can get a fancy version that comes with all that stuff but not the clock for like $80. :\ Whatever. xD

GRYFFINDOR
Old July 30th, 2009, 8:15 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1034 View Post
Ooh... good 'ol shotgun. hehe, excellent choice. xD How is Point Lookout? I heard it was designed for people who are into heavy-style combat, whereas the new alien one that's coming out is geared more towards stealthy combat. I am curious how the DC's that have come out are?
The combat in Point Lookout doesn't seem much different from the regular game. I don't think it matters what fighting style you use. The enemies in Point Lookout seems a bit harder, though.

Since Broken Steel raises the level cap to 30 and introduces of new (and more difficult enemies) I think that's why somethings in Point Lookout are harder to kill for me. (like the new type of ghoul)

Old July 30th, 2009, 9:02 pm
First Year

Quote:
The combat in Point Lookout doesn't seem much different from the regular game. I don't think it matters what fighting style you use. The enemies in Point Lookout seems a bit harder, though.

Since Broken Steel raises the level cap to 30 and introduces of new (and more difficult enemies) I think that's why somethings in Point Lookout are harder to kill for me. (like the new type of ghoul)
Makes sense, yeah. My little brother has been playing Fallout 3 like it was his religion for the last several months and even he has said it was difficult. I think Bethesda was looking for something to be more challenging to the players, forcing people to think differently on how they fight. And stuff.

GRYFFINDOR
Old July 31st, 2009, 2:44 am
First Year

Quote:
I didn't pay $120.00. For a new copy for either Xbox 360 or PS3, it should be $60.00. I think the PC one is around the same price. Now, you can find them cheaper, if you buy a used copy.

Maybe you were looking at a special edition that comes with other goodies, like the lunchbox or figures?

Granted, the DLC's are extra money, but you don't have to buy them.
I haven't been in to the stores yet I just called up and asked they said a pre owened was about $85 and a new was $120 I'll look around today and see if I can find it a bit cheaper.

Made by Dem0ndrag0n
Old August 3rd, 2009, 6:33 pm
First Year

Quote:
I haven't been in to the stores yet I just called up and asked they said a pre owened was about $85 and a new was $120 I'll look around today and see if I can find it a bit cheaper.
Out of curiosity, Stalith, what country do yeh live in? ^^;; I only ask because I have yet to see Fallout 3 cost any more than $60 if you are looking for just the game itself. It should not cost anywhere near $85 (in US money) unless you are looking at the collector's editions that come with an art book, bobblehead, lunchbox, and more. So, if you are paying more than $60 (US dollars) for even a used one, you are being ripped off. x_X;; Or yeh could just buy it online somewhere, which might be easier. xD

GRYFFINDOR
Old August 7th, 2009, 4:06 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1034 View Post
Out of curiosity, Stalith, what country do yeh live in? ^^;; I only ask because I have yet to see Fallout 3 cost any more than $60 if you are looking for just the game itself. It should not cost anywhere near $85 (in US money) unless you are looking at the collector's editions that come with an art book, bobblehead, lunchbox, and more. So, if you are paying more than $60 (US dollars) for even a used one, you are being ripped off. x_X;; Or yeh could just buy it online somewhere, which might be easier. xD
I live in Australia, I was out the other night and was looking in shops for it and when I asked one of the staff at the shop they said they'd stopped manufacturing it for a while I can't remember why exactly but thats why it was so expensive but it would be coming back soon and it was impossible to get at the moment. When I went down to JB Hi-Fi they had plenty of copies then lol.

Made by Dem0ndrag0n
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games