Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games

F.e.a.r

Old January 9th, 2009, 5:38 am
Sixth Year

F.e.a.r

I can't get the title to say 'F.E.A.R' instead of 'F.e.a.r' so we'll have to go with the less intimidating 'F.e.a.r.'

I thought that, with Project Origin coming up, now would be a good time for a F.E.A.R thread. So, anyone played it? Favorite moments? Bits where you just had to put the lights on?

Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate can also be discussed, and as well as F.E.A.R: Combat (I played it, and it's probably the most frantic multiplayer shooter I've ever seen).

And, is anyone looking forward to Project Origin?

Here's a link to the official site (note, dail-up users may struggle).
http://projectorigin.warnerbros.com/...gin/index.html

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:33 am
First Year

Re: F.e.a.r

It has been a long time since I anticipated a game as much as I am Project Origin. F.E.A.R. was revolutionary, for me, because for the first time in an FPS. I felt like the enemy could very possibly be smarter than I was. I think (or hope, anyway) that PO will take the genre to a new level of intense and once again change the way I think about shooters.

Old January 14th, 2009, 9:48 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandapandapoo View Post
I felt like the enemy could very possibly be smarter than I was.
I know it was. One incident had me moving through a room I thought I'd already cleared, only to have a soldier take me from behind. The thing is, I'd been poking around this room for some time, and this soldier was hiding in the shadows. I don't know if it was a bug or not, but that made me check every shadow from then on.

I don't know how the mech combat is going to work out, though. It'll either be good, or feel far too scripted.

Old January 16th, 2009, 8:12 am
Genius Loci

Great game. Loved the original. Scared the pants off me as I did play it in the dark for effect. Something about creepy little girls and computer games that just don't bode well for gamers these days.

Old January 20th, 2009, 5:43 pm
Sixth Year

Speaking of creepy little girls, here's a question I'd like to put out there.

How do you feel F.E.A.R compares to other scary games, like Bioshock, System Shock 2, Half-Life 2 (Ravenholm), and others? Scarier? If so, why?

Old February 5th, 2009, 5:34 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

For me, F.E.A.R. is creeper than Bioshock. I haven't played the other games mentioned, though.

I love Bioshock, but the unpredictable encounters with Alma were far more jarring than anything in Bioshock.

I've heard that the encounters with Alma varies, like the game is never the same twice. I've recently just started a second game and haven't noticed a difference, though.

And Yay Project Origin comes out next week!!!

Old February 6th, 2009, 6:53 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl View Post
I've heard that the encounters with Alma varies, like the game is never the same twice. I've recently just started a second game and haven't noticed a difference, though.
I haven't noticed that, and I must have played it, gosh, seven or eight times. And you're lucky, us poor folks down in SA only get Project Origin on the 20th!

Old February 7th, 2009, 1:49 am
First Year

I enjoy playing the FEAR multiplayer

Old February 9th, 2009, 6:59 pm
First Year

Played the demo and all I can say is "wow" with an added "the scariest game since Fatal Frame 2"....

Old February 17th, 2009, 12:54 am
Dr Mrs The Monarch

I just got Project Origin and so far, it's a great game. It's a little different from the first one, but still has the creepy atmosphere. I like that they have intel reports you find and collect.

Old March 11th, 2009, 5:48 am
Sixth Year

I'm envious, Snapegirl. I really, really, wish I could get Project Origin, but the wise people here in SA have decided to charge R500 for it, which is too much for me. Hopefully it comes out on budget reasonably quickly. What are your impressions of it? Gameplay? Story wise?

Old March 11th, 2009, 4:16 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

The gameplay is good. I think I liked the targeting system in the first one better, though. Also, you can only hold 3 medical packs instead of 10. But there are some parts of the game where you ride inside a huge robot type thing and that's pretty cool.

I also like the intel you can pick up, as it adds a lot to the story. It seems to me that Alma and the supernatural elements of the game play a bigger role than the first and there are some pretty creepy moments.

I haven't completed the game yet because I got a Nintendo DS and The Legend of Zelda game for it and I've been playing that.

I think I'm very close to beating Project Origin, though.

Old March 16th, 2009, 7:15 pm
Genius Loci

I finished the game today. I had originally bought it for the PC, but I had issues with Steam taking months (quite literally) to download the content. So I took the game back and resigned mysef to never playing it as I refused to pay PS3 or 360 prices for it. Then the PS3 version dropped about 40% in price last Friday, so I picked it up and lost myself to it over the weekend.

Freaky experience. Although there's a lather-rinse-repeat formula to it, I enjoyed the story and liked the little drops of intel you could pick up on the way. The maps were good, if not a bit of a familiar feel to them from the first game. Some maps were great, like the ruined city, especially with your own Mechwarrior

As for the game ending: DISTURBING. Very, very, very disturbing. I'll leave it at that.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Computer & Video Games