Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Dresden Files - The Adult Wizard Harry

View Poll Results: Spoiler tags?
I have finished Turn Coat, no spoiler tags needed. 21 84.00%
I have not yet finished Turn Coat, please use spoiler tags. 2 8.00%
I have read all of the short stories, no spoiler tags needed. 3 12.00%
I have not read all of the short stories, please use spoiler tags. 1 4.00%
I have not read all of the short stories, but I don't care about spoilers for those. 8 32.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 14th, 2007, 2:17 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Dresden Files - The Adult Wizard Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENSHI View Post
Yes, I know. For luck I put it under the tags, otherwise I would have spoilt you evily.

Will order 5-8 when I finished 3.

About the spoiler tags, is it possible to write what book you are talking about in the tags first, so that people can see beforehand if they can look inside? Please
Good idea - I'll start doing that.

I'm just wild about Harry

Proud but Surprised Owner of an OUTSTANDING on the Level 3 W.O.M.B.A.T.
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2007, 4:29 pm
Sixth Year

From Blood Rites/Dead Beat:

Quote:
Spoiler: show
Morgoth says Butcher says Justin is really dead
AAARRRRGGHHH! Curses! Foiled again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit
So, I'm a few chapters into Dead Beat, and I'm wondering who snapped the pics of Murph killing the Renfield and of Harry & Murph bent over it's body?

Harry thought someone they couldn't see must have been there to snap the pics---but Kincaid was there, and in the background, he could have done it. Kincaid was also the one who'd phoned ahead and said that the Red Cross was at the shelter. Kincaid also conveniently swept Murph off to Hawaii just when Mavra does her little 'deal' with Harry.
If the room was empty as it was described then Kincaid seemed to be the only one who could have taken the pictures. And I know Kincaid is a tough guy but I was more than a little surprised when he survived in the end. I don't want to think he was involved in the blackmail, but the guy is a true mercenary so if the price was right who knows.

Quote:
And why does Ebenezer not like Kincaid?
I had to go back and re-read the section of Blood Rites right before they went in to kill the Black Court scourge and Harry had to stop them from trying to kill one another. They may not have worked together in the past but is sounds like their paths crossed and there's bad history between the two of them. Ebenezer has to know who he's worked for and his no nonsense style of how to get the job done. And when Harry was using his Sight and got a glimpse of Kincaid's true self... yikes! I sure Ebenezer knows exactly what Kincaid is and doesn't like it one little bit.

Old January 14th, 2007, 6:10 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
From Blood Rites:

I had to go back and re-read the section of Blood Rites right before they went in to kill the Black Court scourge and Harry had to stop them from trying to kill one another. They may not have worked together in the past but is sounds like their paths crossed and there's bad history between the two of them. Ebenezer has to know who he's worked for and his no nonsense style of how to get the job done. And when Harry was using his Sight and got a glimpse of Kincaid's true self... yikes! I sure Ebenezer knows exactly what Kincaid is and doesn't like it one little bit.

Also remember that Ebenezar's role as the Council's "wet man" probably brought him into contact with Kincaid before. I think the dislike stems from a situation where they were on opposite sides of a conflict. Also, Ebenezar is very loyal to the Council, and he might not respect Kincaid as a mercenary.

I'm just wild about Harry

Proud but Surprised Owner of an OUTSTANDING on the Level 3 W.O.M.B.A.T.
Old January 14th, 2007, 9:55 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Can someone help me with a quote. I can't find it again.

There were Harry explains again how magic works. Something like "XXX, words help to define those thoughts" and then why wizards uses words from other languages and no daily used words.

It was in Fool Moon I am sure.

Thank you

The End of the Dream.
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:05 pm
Genius Loci

Quote:
There were Harry explains again how magic works. Something like "XXX, words help to define those thoughts" and then why wizards uses words from other languages and no daily used words.
"Magic is a kind of energy. It is given shape by human thoughts and emotions, by imagination. Thoughts define that shape - and words help to define those thoughts. That's why wizards usually use words to help them with their spells..."

Fool Moon - Beginning of Chapter 15, page 150 of British Orbit paperback.

Old January 14th, 2007, 10:09 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
"Magic is a kind of energy. It is given shape by human thoughts and emotions, by imagination. Thoughts define that shape - and words help to define those thoughts. That's why wizards usually use words to help them with their spells..."

Fool Moon - Beginning of Chapter 15, page 150 of British Orbit paperback.
Thank you. YOu are the greatest.

The End of the Dream.
Old January 17th, 2007, 9:55 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
Also remember that Ebenezar's role as the Council's "wet man" probably brought him into contact with Kincaid before. I think the dislike stems from a situation where they were on opposite sides of a conflict. Also, Ebenezar is very loyal to the Council, and he might not respect Kincaid as a mercenary.
He may be loyal to what the White Council is supposed to stand for, but I'm not so sure how loyal Ebenezer is to the council itself. Didn't he agree to become a senior member mainly to vote against Harry's execution? He also believes there's a traitor within their ranks as well as Harry's new-bad-guy-on-the-block theory, all of which he's reluctant to share with anyone on the council.

Old January 20th, 2007, 11:18 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

OK, so I just picked up "Storm Front" at my local library. It was a bit hard to find, and I didn't see all the books there. So my question is: is this a series that is important to read in the right sequence? Or is it more like a long-running mystery type series where, yeah, it's nice to read them in order, but really each book has its own story that stands by itself and you can catch on quickly who the characters are and so on.

The first few chapters give an impression of a very typical hard-boiled prvate eye type setup (except for the little magic detail... ) And those sorts of series you can pick up in the middle, in my experience.

Thanks!

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old January 20th, 2007, 11:33 pm
Registered Animagus

Certainly the first two (Storm Front and Fool Moon) work as stand alones (though Fool Moon does refference Storm Front a lot in the first few chapters), but aside from that I'm not sure.

Did Harry's mother have a curse placed on her to die in childbirth or something? I just picked up on Harry's inherited silver star thing and Bob mentioned something about inherited silver being the only thing to harm a loup-garou

FA CUP ROUND 3 - JANUARY 1ST 2009
WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER TEAM THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN - SOUTHEND UNITED FC

My blog:
http://thewritersodyssey.weebly.com/
Old January 20th, 2007, 11:47 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodricHollow View Post
Did Harry's mother have a curse placed on her to die in childbirth or something? I just picked up on Harry's inherited silver star thing and Bob mentioned something about inherited silver being the only thing to harm a loup-garou

It sounds as if his mother's death was not a "natural" one, don't know about any curse though.

As for the loup-garou. Bob indeed told Harry before that only inherited silver will this beast and ... don't know where you are in the books ... it will be a good advice.

The End of the Dream.
Old January 20th, 2007, 11:52 pm
Registered Animagus

If you're on about the climax of Fool Moon, don't worry, I'm on my second readthrough.

My blog:
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:16 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
OK, so I just picked up "Storm Front" at my local library. It was a bit hard to find, and I didn't see all the books there. So my question is: is this a series that is important to read in the right sequence? Or is it more like a long-running mystery type series where, yeah, it's nice to read them in order, but really each book has its own story that stands by itself and you can catch on quickly who the characters are and so on.
You can read the vignette and the short story "Restoration of Faith" by Jim Butcher---these introduce you to Harry, magic, and certain characters, like Bob & Murph---and it doesn't throw you off.

The books are sequential, though. Some things are revealed in each book that tends to be built upon in the following book{s}. So there's a potential to miss or not entirely understand certain details if you read them out of order.

The series is sold in Omnibus editions: books 1/2/3 under the title of "Wizard for Hire"; books 4/5 under the title of "Wizard by Trade"; books 6/7 under the title of "Wizard at Large".
Quote:
Marcone comments that he'd not inherited anything 'silver' so he didn't have that weapon to use against a loup garou.

I think it's just 'inherited silver' that's the power at work, not a specific death curse related to Harry's talisman left him by his mother, Margaret Lefay Dresden.

Old January 21st, 2007, 12:21 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
If you're on about the climax of Fool Moon, don't worry, I'm on my second readthrough.
Sorry, I thought that you haven't read the end yet. At least it sounded like that.

The End of the Dream.
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:26 am
Registered Animagus

No worries.

Great. Now I'm a flipping Aussie!

Anyway...

Sorry tenshi, should've said it before - Didn't Bob mention something about the acrifice being the important part of what makes the inherited silver work?

My blog:
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:46 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Thanks to all who answered my question. Sounds like if I enjoy "Storm Front" a visit to B&N is in order.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old January 21st, 2007, 1:00 am
Eldest Gruff

I'm close to say even if you don't like Storm Front that much, because they just become a bit better, when you get more of the story. Just like HP. But obviously that's not completely true, the style of his writing does not chance that much.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old January 21st, 2007, 1:40 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
No worries.

Great. Now I'm a flipping Aussie!

Anyway...

Sorry tenshi, should've said it before - Didn't Bob mention something about the acrifice being the important part of what makes the inherited silver work?
Uhhhh here are his exact words:

Foolmoon, Chapter 7
"They killed it," Bob said. "Here's where the silver bullets finally come in, Harry. Only a silver weapon can hurt a loup-garou, and not only that, the silver has to be inherited from a family member. Inherited silver bullets."
"Really? Why would that work and not regular silver?"
"I don't make the laws of magic, Harry. I just know what they are and have an idea of when they're changing. That one hasn't changed. I think maybe it has something to do with the elements of sacrifice."

Bob thinks it has something to to with sacrifice, what doesn't mean that has to be the case.

I haven't read all books, but maybe Chauncy is right and his mother's death was not a normal death and she sacrificed herself for him, that's why he was able to use his pantacle as weapon ...

The End of the Dream.
Old January 21st, 2007, 1:59 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
I haven't read all books, but maybe Chauncy is right and his mother's death was not a normal death and she sacrificed herself for him, that's why he was able to use his pantacle as weapon ...
Well, in a later book we learn that Margaret Lefay was supposedly murdered and who did it or was responsible for it---her death curse affected the individual in a specific manner {really trying not to give a lot away here.}

She also took the time to instill something into her son's psyche, which is revealed in a soul gaze with another person, who has a silver pentacle that matches Harry's.

Old January 21st, 2007, 2:03 am
She Who Walks Behind

Ohh I see I must continue reading the books.

About the person who has the same pentacle. Isn't that his dead ex-girlfriend? Forgot the name.

The End of the Dream.
Old January 21st, 2007, 2:19 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
About the person who has the same pentacle. Isn't that his dead ex-girlfriend? Forgot the name.
Definitely keep reading!
Elaine has a silver pentacle too, but no, another individual also has a silver pentacle that matches Harry's---except it's not nearly as beaten and scuffed up {Harry's been fighting evil much longer }.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives