Ballycastle Bats
are # 1, Gooooo Bats!

R.I.P.
Sirius Black
Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2005, 8:14 am
She Who Walks Behind

It's just a word so why should I be offended by it. I use it several times a day, together with a lot more swear words. I say it even in front of my parents and children. In general I'm not offended by any swear word. And swearing don't kill anyone.

The End of the Dream.
Old November 4th, 2005, 8:17 am
Third Year

I myself am not offened by the "f" word as you so nicely put but then who would FLOWER is such a nice word he he he

Truthfully I use the 'bad' F word every now and then but never in front of my clildren and I do get offended when peole use it in front of any children. But thats just me

Old November 4th, 2005, 8:23 am
Sixth Year

I am greatly offended when people use this word, I mean my gosh why would you use such foul language? Just Kidding, I use this word all the time, it doesnt even mean anything to me, Im desensitized to it.

(\__/)
(O.O )
(> < ) THE ORIGINAL LORD BUNNYMORT, he commands you to copy him into your signature so he can take over the world!!

CARPE NOCTEM, SEMPER FI
Old November 4th, 2005, 8:53 am
Fifth Year

Am I offended by it? No. Will I ever be offended by it? Probably not. Do I use it around young children? Yes, unless I'm in a place where it's unacceptable like a friend's workplace or a church. I understand that words can be harmful to some, but as long as the "f" word, or any bad word, isn't directed at or about someone, I don't see a problem with it.

"Well uhhhhh" - Arsene Wenger
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:31 am
McMugwump Supreme

It depends on the context -- if it's said with venom, then yes, I will take offence. If it crops up in a conversation and is used for exaggeration, or an exclamation, then I don't particularly care.

I think people who use it frequently are a bit stupid though.

Lunch was six dollars and thirty-one cents at the Lamplighter Inn, that's on Highway Two near Lewis Fork.
That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cherry pie, and a cup of coffee.
Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way that cherry pie is worth a stop.

Old November 4th, 2005, 11:18 am
Registered Animagus

I am not offended by it and use it occasionally, but certainly not around adults or young children, just in the company of my friends who I know wont be offended. As long as you dont over-use it, or use the 'f' word in an overly offensive way, I dont see the problem.

Old November 4th, 2005, 12:16 pm
Zonko's Employee

I think that using the four letter word in everday conversation isn't needed, and using it to emphasise your point generally means that your point can't stand without it, and thus isn't worth making. Using it in times of stress I think is more forgivable - I've been known to use it in those situations.

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Old November 4th, 2005, 1:11 pm
Fifth Year

sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me.
The more the word is used, the more it will use its shock value. When a word becomes common, it loses any special meaning.

Old November 4th, 2005, 3:57 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotsiepots
I think people who use it frequently are a bit stupid though.
That's very close to the way I see it. Used frequently as a meaningless filler word, the message seems to be that the speaker isn't only a bit what you said but vulgar too.

Swear words can be useful to underline ones feelings, but very soon lose their effect if used more than necessary. When swearing it's also good to use some variation. To hear the same F word too often is simply boring.

Old November 4th, 2005, 4:19 pm
Fourth Year

You know, I keep seeing the "it's just a word", "sticks and stone...", might none of us be aware of the fact that it is words that break us? Words, it is the cause of encouragement and the cause of complete and total distruction from one person to another under the right circumstances. It is our words that pass us off as intellegent, it is our words that show who we are in many circumstances. Word can be "words lovely words" Or words can be the thing a deranged person uses to break another. It is "just" a word, and my how increadably powerful that can be.

Nearly everyone has said that this particular word is not cute coming from a small child, but guess what, children mimic what they hear. If the word was never used at all, a child wouldn't up and say it either. If you don't like something, change it. If you don't like hearing cuss words from children, don't influence the children with the cuss words. It's really very simple. There is nothing quite like getting cut off by someone in traffic and letting an explitive leave your lips, only to turn around and hear your child repeat it. Then what do we do? We tell our child that is not okay, not an appropriate word. What hypocrates.

It reminds me of something. My young son, like most children his age, was having difficulty with the "tr" sound and just about any other consenant and "r" combination. We, that is to say, my husband and I, did not have the forsight to teach him the word pick-up instead of truck. When he would see one the "tr" sound would come out as an "f" sound and there by sound like the very cuss word of which we are discussing. We did our best to not make a big deal about it, but reiterated the "tr" sound back to him so he could get used to it. Over a year late, my daughter was repeating the story to someone, and didn't understand the significance of adding the "f" inplace of the "tr" and she just up and said the four letter "f" word. I lost it. I got after her and told her never to say that again, yadda, yadda. I looked at her and my daughter was crying, then it dawned on me...she didn't understand the significance, because, we had never used it. She didn't know it was a bad word, because she didn't know. Unfortunatelly, I think I traumatized her beyond what any parent ever means to, but I don't think she will forget, and hopefully that offensive word will never part her lips intentionally.

We always, always have choices......and make no mistake, choosing to make no choice is a choice...take your time, think things through...and make wise choices!!! After all, "it is our choices, that show what we truely are, far more than our abilities."
Old November 4th, 2005, 5:42 pm
Sixth Year

No I'm not offended by it. Of course if someone started verbally abusing me with it then I'd be upset, but I'd be just as upset if they used another word.

I must say though that I lament the way it is often used excessively for emphasis. There are so many wonderful adjectives in the English language, why rely on just one?

Old November 4th, 2005, 7:06 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Bard
I must say though that I lament the way it is often used excessively for emphasis. There are so many wonderful adjectives in the English language, why rely on just one?
Your comment made me think about the sktech Monty Python made about the F word

I don't use the word very often, only when I'm really mad or when I did something really stupid. I usually curse at myself, not at others. Therefore, I'm not easily offended by the word, although it completely depends on the situation.

The exclamation "****-a-duck"used to be popular here. It kind of changed the meaning of the word to a joke.

Old November 4th, 2005, 7:15 pm
Sixth Year

I'm not offended by it at all. The thing that's starting to puzzle me the most about it now, is why all these little kids say it and stuff. Like, a few years ago a little kid in like grade two, gave me the finger and I was like "What the hell...". These kids shouldn't know about that word, their minds are too young to be molded into that kind of stuff. Like, if they learn it young then the rest of their life they are going to think it's right and nobody is going to do anything about it.

I admit to saying it a lot, but I have cleaned up my mouth a bit in the past few years. It used to be said like every other word with me, now I say it like once or twice a day. It just depends on what mood i'm in.

Old November 4th, 2005, 7:23 pm
Fifth Year

I went a whole year without swearing once, and it was a very good year (as in a whole year of my life after I turned 12 that is). Of course then a lot of things came into play, mainly good comedy (not crapedy) where swear words were not ubiquitous and when used were always hilariously funny. Unfortunately I lack the quick wit to come up with such quips, and so I tend to avoid using them. I reserve them for yelling at politicians on the TV and newspapers.

...hmm apparently I'm back
Old November 4th, 2005, 8:10 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by klynnrose
It reminds me of something. My young son, like most children his age, was having difficulty with the "tr" sound and just about any other consenant and "r" combination. We, that is to say, my husband and I, did not have the forsight to teach him the word pick-up instead of truck. When he would see one the "tr" sound would come out as an "f" sound and there by sound like the very cuss word of which we are discussing. We did our best to not make a big deal about it, but reiterated the "tr" sound back to him so he could get used to it. Over a year late, my daughter was repeating the story to someone, and didn't understand the significance of adding the "f" inplace of the "tr" and she just up and said the four letter "f" word. I lost it. I got after her and told her never to say that again, yadda, yadda. I looked at her and my daughter was crying, then it dawned on me...she didn't understand the significance, because, we had never used it. She didn't know it was a bad word, because she didn't know. Unfortunatelly, I think I traumatized her beyond what any parent ever means to, but I don't think she will forget, and hopefully that offensive word will never part her lips intentionally.
This story absolutely makes me livid. You would much rather your son say a different word then ACCIDENTALLY drop the F-bomb? Instead of averting the crisis, why don't you try and fix it by helping him learn to make "tr" sounds, and any "r" sounds as it is?

Saying a word won't make or break anything. It is just a WORD. What is real factor, with any word, is the meaning behind it. How it was used, what the intentions where whilst using it, many other things. I think it would be more significant, and longer lasting, if you told your children about intentions and meanings.

When I was younger, my parents didn't allow cussing, so I went by the letter of the law and changed words. So, instead of saying, "Ow, that f'ing hurts," I would say, "Ow, that freaking hurts." It was the exact same thing with just a different sound coming out. It would have been no different if I dropped the f-bomb. So, what did my parents do? Punish me. Not because I said a "bad word" but because of what I meant when I said the word. So, I learned (at that time, before I could really think things through myself) that it wasn't what I said but what I meant. It's a greater life lesson than putting restrictions on what words you can or can't use.

Now, about there being more, "vivid and colorful words" in the English language, sure. However, just because I incorporate cussing in my everyday language does not mean that I am stupid in anyway. I have a pretty large vocabulary but some words I just don't see as ones I'd use. It's better to use five cent words and get the point across than to use two dollar words and leave everyone guessing.

Old November 4th, 2005, 8:27 pm
Zonko's Employee

My friend's half sister was trying to say "frog" but it came out as...well...

It was probably one of the funniest things I've heard come out of a 2 1/2 year old.

"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible." |Catcher in the Rye

Siggy image from LA 1960s & Avatar made by Makani|*PLEASE DO NOT TAKE*
Old November 4th, 2005, 8:30 pm
Fifth Year

I don't like it in kids sorry. I'm realising that in everything except politics I'm rather conservative.

Old November 4th, 2005, 8:38 pm
Second Year

So, if a kid who is learning to speak messes up his/her word and drops any cussword (sit for the "s-word") then it's bad?

Old November 4th, 2005, 8:41 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allombora_Reiven
So, if a kid who is learning to speak messes up his/her word and drops any cussword (sit for the "s-word") then it's bad?
Obviously not - it's not their fault. I just don't like the idea of teaching children to cuss until they learn how to be more circumspect when they speak, to understand why it's offensive, etc. I don't actually like teaching kids to cuss at all, but they are bound to learn, so if you make sure that in your home you emphasise that you don't tolerate it, they are likely to learn not to use it around elders and other people until they can gauge it to be acceptable in the particular relationship.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives