Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

The "F" word- are you offended by it?

Old November 4th, 2005, 1:20 am
First Year

I'm not much bothered by it. In fact, I must say that I find modern swearing somewhat tame. It used to be that modern swear words are just crude ways of describing bodily activities that make prudish folk squeamish. I much prefer swearing that involves a certain degree of blasphemy. Like "By Christ's nails!" or "Jesus H. Christ in a chicken basket!" Some how it seems grander and more elaborative to actually swear by something and really profane it.

"But O did you see the dead of Manassas
All the bellies and the bones and the bile?
No, I lingered here with the blankets barren
And my own belly big with child." - The Decemberists

See you space cowboy . . .
Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2005, 2:29 am
First Year

I'm not offended and I use it sometimes myself. I just don't use it a lot and I use it where appropiate. Like if I jammed my toe on the corner of my bed.

Old November 4th, 2005, 2:39 am
Dr Mrs The Monarch

I'm not offended by it. I use it all the time, but not around my son.

Old November 4th, 2005, 2:41 am
Sixth Year

Yes, I most definitely am!!! I am very touchy about curse words in general. I won't say anything, but people know how I feel just by the look on my face. I don't think people should resort to offensive words when there is the whole English language out there (loaded with good old fashioned angry words) waiting to be used. People should be more creative about language...I know I am.

Old November 4th, 2005, 2:44 am
Fifth Year

I have no problem with it, to me it's just another word that I say several times a day. I just can't understand why people get so worked up over a word

And let dull
failure be my vestiture
And sorrow dig its grave within my heart.

I am a Sassy Wind Ninja and this is where I practice my sass

Paul Cezanne
Old November 4th, 2005, 2:51 am
Second Year

I'm not, although I do find that the less you use it, the more effective it is when you say it.

O Solomon was wise and great!
The result of that when day was done was horrible beyond debate.
His wisdom didn't bring him too much fun.
O lucky ones who lack that trait!
Old November 4th, 2005, 3:23 am
Fifth Year

There is something about the word though, that I don't like when it comes to its real meaning (the sexual one). I find it in a way objectionable to reduce such a thing to such crude terms, but that's based on what sex and love mean to me. I suppose I'm not too fussed when it's just an exclaimation like 'Oh shoot' though I still don't use it.

...hmm apparently I'm back
Old November 4th, 2005, 3:25 am
Superman

As with practically any other word tone is important.

As many have pointed out they do not find it offensive unless its directed at them in anger. I would generally agree with them. In normal circumstances however I don't find it particularly offensive, that said I don't particularly want to hear it either

Ronald Weasley is Harry's best friend, best known to his peers as living proof that God doesn't exist.

Hermione Granger is Harry's other friend. She possesses the "plot device", a mystical artifact famed for its ability to counter the feared Wryter's Block.

Ginny Weasley The girl Harry loves. Without her, Harry would have been just as emo in the sixth book as he was in the fifth book.

Source: Uncyclopedia
Old November 4th, 2005, 3:34 am
Fifth Year

I'll agree with the circumstance issue...

For the most part, I am not offended by the f-word. If people want to say it all the time and make themselves seem less intelligent than those of us who can think of better and more appropriate words, let them. Somehow, though, I have a hard time understanding how people can be offended by a word. It is no different than saying something like God or Jesus. It refers to something that some other people are 'touchy' about. I think that we all need to just accept eachother's mannerisms in speech, even if they do make you sound less intelligent.

Old November 4th, 2005, 3:36 am
Fourth Year

I find this word, and most others that are in the same tone, extreemly offensive. I always have and always will. When in school, when my friends were hitting the age that they felt comfortable using such language, I made it very clear that it was not welcome around me. And for the most part they respected that. I just think it is vile and completely unnessisary. As has been stated, there are so many other creative words to be used to express one's meaning, without being offensive in such a crude manner.

We always, always have choices......and make no mistake, choosing to make no choice is a choice...take your time, think things through...and make wise choices!!! After all, "it is our choices, that show what we truely are, far more than our abilities."
Old November 4th, 2005, 4:20 am
First Year

It's the only swear word I have a problem with, especially if used around kids or excessively. In most cases, there's no reason to say it, much less repeat it. It also takes away from the quality of movies and stuff when used too much.

Old November 4th, 2005, 4:20 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me
Seems to be appropriate for this topic . Honestly, it's all just words. Not saying that I like to have certain words/phrases aimed at me, but I tend to take it all with a grain of salt. I use "curse" words on an as needed basis (as determined by me ).

And, while I do agree that creativity can be fun, but if I just stubbed my toe, I usually use the word(s) that pop out.

My current distractions

Quote:
A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that's unlocked and opens inwards, as long as it doesn't occur to him to pull rather than push. - Ludwig Wittgenstein
Old November 4th, 2005, 4:39 am
Sixth Year

No, it's not offensive to me at all. I say it a few times a day. I do think that little kids should not be using the word, though. I don't like hearing a five year old spewing a mouthful of curses.

90s Kids' Shows Part 2
Old November 4th, 2005, 4:56 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixUK
It's not going to happen, though, at the moment people use "******" as an offensive term rather than an actual description of sexual orientation. While with "n*****" it was actualally used in a racist sense against black people, "******" is rarely used in a homophobic sense against homosexuals.

Homophobia is as bad as racism, as you say, but ****** is primarily a misused, if crude, insult rather than an actual homophobic term.
It's used to attack a man's masculinity.

Can you find the frog? Click here for an enlarged image.

“Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
― J.K. Rowling

"She boiled her brain."- Karl Pilkington
Old November 4th, 2005, 5:11 am
First Year

i don't really care. people can say it if they want, doesn't bother me

Old November 4th, 2005, 5:14 am
Zonko's Employee

Actually, I'm offended by all swearing. The most offensive to me, however, is blasphemy, and that is now considered perfectly acceptable. It wasn't 20 years ago, and I don't consider that "progress."

Old November 4th, 2005, 5:14 am
Zonko's Employee

Not in the slightest. I say it when I'm angry or suprised (when its appropriate or around my friends. Never around my parents or authority figures) and its not just in rap, I hear it in the music I listen to all the time (punk, ska, etc).

I call my friends effers sometimes, mostly if we are in fake arguments. I must say that I get annoyed when people say it like every second but other than that, not at all.

"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible." |Catcher in the Rye

Siggy image from LA 1960s & Avatar made by Makani|*PLEASE DO NOT TAKE*
Old November 4th, 2005, 5:28 am
Sixth Year

I'm not offended by it, really (unless it's directed at me), but it gets on my nerves when people say it constantly. I never say it, but just about all of my friends do. I just can't stand it when people use it in every single sentence. And yeah, people should never use it in front of children, because it's not cute to have a seven-year-old drop the "f" bomb....

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old November 4th, 2005, 6:14 am
Seventh Year

I can't say I'm really offended by the word. I use it on occasion. Typically when I'm angry. I don't use it around children and I don't really use it say around my family or my elders either. Respect issue I guess. I don't feel the need to use the word, every other word within one sentence. If other people do that around me I tend to quit paying them any attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit
And yeah, people should never use it in front of children, because it's not cute to have a seven-year-old drop the "f" bomb....
Oh this drives me nuts too. Me and my boyfriend went out the other night. This couple not much younger than us was sitting at a table near by they had their son with them sitting in a highchair. By looking at him I'd guess he was about 1 1/2 years old. He's sitting in his highchair just a babbling away. He was cute as could be. Later in the babbling the kid starts repeating the "f" word. The mom says something along the lines of "Oh how cute! He must have learned that from Daddy!" I'm sorry I fail to see the cuteness in that.

Old November 4th, 2005, 6:21 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrana
I have no problem with it, to me it's just another word that I say several times a day. I just can't understand why people get so worked up over a word
same
i never swear around my perents or my family in general but with friends in different i swear mildly around my friends, i never get affended by it if someone said "Effe You" to me i would be like "Right Back A Cha" always works but since i'm not particularly hated or anything nobody ever says it to me.
but my Brother sometime accidently says it....

I'm A Slave 4 U/I won't deny it, I'm not trying to hide it///Boys, Sometimes a girl just needs on//She's the original/She's unforgettable
!!Britney Fan 4EVA!!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives