Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

Closed Eyelids In Anime

Old March 28th, 2012, 2:26 am
First Year

Closed Eyelids In Anime

Hi, everyone! This is my first time posting on these forums! I'm a fan of Harry Potter and I'm also an anime fan too and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here! One thing I've always wondered about anime though is why is it that some anime characters always have their eyelids closed? Like Brock in Pokemon and Yamazaki in Cardcaptor Sakura keep their eyelids closed all the time (except in one of the CCS shorts where Yamazaki's closed eyelids are a running gag) but everyone else have their eyes opened. Are closed eyelids supposed to symbolize a personality trait like how big eyes on anime characters symbolize innocence or are the animators just being too lazy to draw their eyes?

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2012, 7:45 am
Fourth Year

Re: Closed Eyelids In Anime

I really don't know the reason behind why some characters keep their eyes closed all the time. I know in one of my favorite anime there's this character who never opened his eyes unless something serious was happening directly to that character. When he kept his eyes closed he was more comic relief, when they were open he was kicking butt in a battle. In Brock's case on Pokemon..It's probably just laziness.

Old March 28th, 2012, 11:12 pm
First Year

That's an interesting point about comedy but Brock is often a comical character himself, like when he flirts with a pretty girl he likes. But my line of thought was maybe closed eyelids represent shadyness like how wide eyes represent innocence?

Old April 13th, 2012, 12:11 am
Sixth Year

Heh, I have wondered about the closed eyes too. I like Mokona in Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles and Xxxholic when he opens his eyes every now and then and they are huge!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime