Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Developing story: Bin Laden killed

Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:56 pm
Queen of Apathy

Re: Developing story: Bin Laden killed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
I was cheering (in front of my tv) right along with those people at the White House, as I was watching CNN last night. I don't care what Pakistan says about how he it was a "martyr" death and I would have never supported a trial against him. Osama being dead is the only way justice would have truly been served. If Osama was in custody, Al Qaeda would have done everything they could have to free him, resulting in the deaths of more Americans.

As such, no Americans were killed during the attack on Osama. This is truly a victory, long awaited, for the United States and all allies. We've waited for this for almost 10 years. The day has finally come. Hallelujah!
Hear hear!

Lol I was busy watching a television show when my phone started going off and I switched to the news and saw the breaking story. I also cheered. This may not be the end of terrorism but there is a feeling of satisfaction. This man killed thousands of people and it took us 10 years and many lives lost along the way to achieve this.

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:56 pm
Genius Loci

The death of Bin Laden is not going to eradicate terrorism, I don't think anyone is seriously thinking that's the case. When you kill one tyrant, another emerges. History is full of repetition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_mom View Post
Totally off topic, and were speculation on my part with nothing to back it up, but I can't help but wonder whether the holiday the newly wed royals were supposed to take was changed because of this. I can't imagine that having the future King of England anywhere near the Middle East would be a good thing in lieu of the possibility of retaliation following OBL's death.
Talk of a tropical Island honeymoon, possibly the Maldives, which is not that far from Diego Garcia, in the event of an evacuation. But yes, I think there's scope to wonder that.

Although as I read somewhere the weekend was like a fairytale story. The Lady married her Prince and the Villain was defeated.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 1:07 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Please be careful. It's not the Pakistani government that says "he's a martyr" or "his death was a martyr death". It's the Taliban. In these cases with tensions and international relations at stake one needs to take care to be precise.
Oops, I apologize sincerely!

I thought it sounded wrong. Because the Pakistanis have been supporting this and gave their full support in it.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 1:10 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
Bin Laden's era had seemed to be over: his star had been on the wane for some time and his extremist ideology appeared to be having less and less of an influence over young Muslims. But now, with this, my fear is that, to quote Yeats "A terrible beauty is born."
Ditto.

Quote:
I was cheering (in front of my tv) right along with those people at the White House, as I was watching CNN last night. I don't care what Pakistan says about how he it was a "martyr" death and I would have never supported a trial against him. Osama being dead is the only way justice would have truly been served. If Osama was in custody, Al Qaeda would have done everything they could have to free him, resulting in the deaths of more Americans.

As such, no Americans were killed during the attack on Osama. This is truly a victory, long awaited, for the United States and all allies. We've waited for this for almost 10 years. The day has finally come. Hallelujah!
There were no Americans killed during the attack, but I for me it's most certain that Americans will be killed because of the attack. For me it's a trade off I can not support. I agree with those who say that he lost his relevance long ago. He's just one man, that can and for sure will be replaced by another one. This isn't going to end anything, it's going to result in counter attacks. What a great achievement.

The End of the Dream.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 1:13 pm
Queen of Apathy

Do you honestly think that these extremists wouldn't have attacked us or other targets if they got the chance to anyways?

And yes it is a great symbolic achievement. Not the end of terror but long deserved justice being served.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 1:20 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysme View Post

And yes it is a great symbolic achievement. Not the end of terror but long deserved justice being served.
Agreed.

There was cheering in front of the White House, as well and Ground Zero and the field where the plane went down in Pennsylvania. "God Bless America" and the "Star Spangled Banner" were being sung. I was watching the news last night, and the crowd in front of the White House went from 30-40 tourists, to at least 1000 people in just under an hour!

This is celebration, and it will go on for a while. You think these people care about possible retaliation right now? Maybe, but I don't think so. This is news we've been waiting for for a very long time. Way overdue.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 1:26 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Do you honestly think that these extremists wouldn't have attacked us or other targets if they got the chance to anyways?

Yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts on the subject too. As I've said previously, I don't think putting him on trial was a feasible option, so it was either a case of finding him and killing him, or letting him off. I'm glad he's dead. Will there be reprisals? Possibly, maybe probably, but when the alternative is allowing Bin Laden to walk free what choice do we have? We're just going have to put our faith in the intelligence services to help keep us safe from any retaliatory terrorist attacks.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Registered Animagus

Why does Fox News keeping calling him Usama? Is that his other name? It's really strange for them to do that.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 1:44 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
First joke surrounding this story that I've heard: "Donald Trump demands to see the death certificate"
First joke I heard when the news first broke; Obama texts Bush; "LOL"

Quote:
Why does Fox News keeping calling him Usama? Is that his other name? It's really strange for them to do that.
The Fox News coverage is hilarious!

You can tell they want this to not make Obama look good, but it's impossible for Obama to not look damn good because of this.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old May 2nd, 2011, 1:47 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
The Fox News coverage is hilarious!
Not to mention 'confrims'

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old May 2nd, 2011, 1:48 pm
Registered Animagus

Not cool, Fox News. They were my favorite news station. How do they not see these typos?

Speaking of typos, be careful when you type today. Just one letter separates Osama and Obama! Don't offend the USA cause of a typo!

Old May 2nd, 2011, 1:48 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I agree with those who have said it's more symbolic than anything else. He wasn't the only leader of al Qaida, he wasn't the only extremist. Even though he was an influential one. There may be attempts at reprisals, but there may have been such attempts anyway.

I don't know if a trial would have been feasible, but I also wonder if it would have been a better outcome than the one that happened. Although it seems he was refusing to surrender, so that was probably the only outcome possible at the time.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 1:49 pm
Renegade

Or this:

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 1:50 pm
Queen of Apathy

That is so embarrassing...

They really need to watch things more carefully.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 1:57 pm
Genius Loci

This was never going to end peacefully and thoughts otherwise are rather naive. Had Bin Laden been killed within months of 9/11, the reaction would have been far different. But a lot of the cynicism comes down to the great time delay between 9/11 and now (early 90s if you count the first attempt on WTC), the costs in lives and many billions of dollars fighting multiple conflicts, large & small to bring down a network that is borderless and untameable. It's easy to be cynical, but it's also easy to forget how big an impact 9/11 had on the world and how it affected people, particularly Americans.

Bin Laden probably knew that he was on borrowed time and that he would eventually be caught but he wasn't going to just hand himself over, it was always going to be a bloody death. The fact is he achieved everything he wanted on 9/11 and everything since has been a bonus for him. Even now there will be those who say his death is still a victory because it will create further generations of new terrorists who will look up to him as a martyr. But none of that means the US shouldn't have stopped hunting him or those who support him. Regardless of his value to the cause now, his value to the people he hurt never diminished and the outpouring of emotion on the streets in America, says just that to me.

Besides, people always celebrate the death of the figurehead of any enemy movement. You don't need to go back too far in time to see how people have come to celebrate the end of a regime, the fall of a government or the death of a dictator. People have the same celebratory reactions to these events, because it means something to them to see their worst enemy brought down, one who was responsible for crimes against them. The events on the streets in the US are as much about celebrating one man's downfall and honouring those who died by his command. They see it as closure, even if those of us outside the zone cannot understand or support that expression.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 1:58 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_mom View Post
Totally off topic, and were speculation on my part with nothing to back it up, but I can't help but wonder whether the holiday the newly wed royals were supposed to take was changed because of this. I can't imagine that having the future King of England anywhere near the Middle East would be a good thing in lieu of the possibility of retaliation following OBL's death.
I don't think that this is the case. The royals don't do things spontaneously. It's been said that the couple never intended to go on a honeymoon right away and the whole speculation was centred on misleading information spread by the royal family to ensure a maximum of privacy for the newly-weds. Moreover, this mission seems to have been top secret. I doubt that Buckingham Palace would have received a call by Obama, telling them to postpone the honeymoon because of a top secret US military strike in Pakistan.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 1:59 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I don't know if a trial would have been feasible, but I also wonder if it would have been a better outcome than the one that happened. Although it seems he was refusing to surrender, so that was probably the only outcome possible at the time.
Too many people would have probably died between the time of his arrest, to the time of his likely execution.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old May 2nd, 2011, 2:01 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
Although as I read somewhere the weekend was like a fairytale story. The Lady married her Prince and the Villain was defeated.
Add to it that's it's my youngest son's 8th Birthday today!

Without a change in leadership, why would the next four years be any different from the last four years? - - Paul Ryan
Old May 2nd, 2011, 2:02 pm
Sixth Year

I think that even if Bin Laden was killed, there will be possible successors which we may not know of. The Ayman guy is one, but there may be others which we do not know. I'm a little worried about that.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old May 2nd, 2011, 2:07 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Of course they would have attack us even if he hadn't been killed, and they will likely attack us now that he's dead. But finding him, which apparently involved more than 4 years of careful intelligence chasing ghosts, is a slap in the fact to extremism. Until now every terror leader out there could look to Osama as a symbol of defying the Great Satan. That symbol is now lying at the bottom of the sea with a bullet in his brain.

Without a change in leadership, why would the next four years be any different from the last four years? - - Paul Ryan

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives