Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Developing story: Bin Laden killed

Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:35 am
Squee-worthy

Re: Developing story: Bin Laden killed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
I would have preferred a trial, to be honest.
That never would have happened.

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:37 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Godric View Post
That never would have happened.
I know. It wouldn't have been efficient to capture him alive and bring him to trial.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:39 am
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
The full transcript of what I thought was an excellent speech by President Obama.
It was a great speech. I love the atmosphere of the American people too, just absolute celebration in the streets.

Quote:
I'm still waiting for an official reaction from the Pakistani Govt and the ISI. I haven't seen any yet.
From what I've seen of the reports Pakistani officials were on the scene with US forces during the operation that killed Bin Laden. So I am not as curious as I was earlier about any involvement in hiding Bin Laden on their behalf.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:42 am
Second Year

It took us 10 years...but thankfully we did it! I am so happy, just hoping that all of the potential they keep insisting we have for retaliation never morphs into just that. Way to go my lovely US of A..we did it! So proud to be American right now!

Quote:
I know. It wouldn't have been efficient to capture him alive and bring him to trial.

No, IMO it wouldn't...not for what he took from us in the USA on September 11th, 2001... we didn't know it was coming, much like those who lost their lives. They didn't have a chance, why should he?

From beginning to end, I shall say it again. Twas nice to be amongst the most dearest of friends.-Brynn Ashleigh '11
Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:45 am
Fifth Year

As the U.S. Military says: You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Thank you to the U.S. Military for bringing that slimy piece of wormridden filth to justice.

But it ain't over. The War on Terror will likely never be over.

We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our election between economy and liberty or profusion and servitude. If we run into such debt, as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labors and our amusements, for our calling and our creeds...[we will] have no time to think, no means of calling our miss-managers to account but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow-sufferers... And this is the tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle in one instance becomes a precedent for[ another]... till the bulk of society is reduced to be mere automatons of misery... And the fore-horse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows that, and in its train wretchedness and oppression. A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement -- this is the sum of good government. ---Thomas Jefferson

Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:46 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladykrystyna View Post

As the U.S. Military says: You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Thank you to the U.S. Military for bringing that slimy piece of wormridden filth to justice.

But it ain't over. The War on Terror will likely never be over.

I couldn't agree more! But I must say, we DID it! Great job my soliders in uniform! Thank you will never be enough!

From beginning to end, I shall say it again. Twas nice to be amongst the most dearest of friends.-Brynn Ashleigh '11
Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:53 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbydear15 View Post
No, IMO it wouldn't...not for what he took from us in the USA on September 11th, 2001... we didn't know it was coming, much like those who lost their lives. They didn't have a chance, why should he?
Because that type of justice is even more sweet. To see the evdience piled up and thrown in his face would have been awesome.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:58 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Because that type of justice is even more sweet. To see the evdience piled up and thrown in his face would have been awesome.
I agree. He would have got the death penalty, so the result would have been the same, but I think it would have offered more closure and justice to those he has caused so much pain to.

But yes, totally unrealistic.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:59 am
Second Year

Quote:
IMO, I still wouldn't budge on agreeing in putting him behind bars in Gitmo and then sentencing him to death. There he would have been given a date and a time for his final moments, his final breath. The 3000+ we lost weren't given that. They went to work, ran errands, etc., expecting to go home that night to be with their loved ones. Not to have their souls remain at Ground Zero, on those planes, in that field, or at the Pentagon. Plain and simple, I believe he got what he finally deserved. Now, its on to ridding the world of the rest of the Al Qaeda. There won't be any real "safety" until they are all annilated.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 7:01 am
Banned

Quote:
IMO, I still wouldn't budge on agreeing in putting him behind bars in Gitmo and then sentencing him to death. There he would have been given a date and a time for his final moments, his final breath. The 3000+ we lost weren't given that. They went to work, ran errands, etc., expecting to go home that night to be with their loved ones. Not to have their souls remain at Ground Zero, on those planes, in that field, or at the Pentagon. Plain and simple, I believe he got what he finally deserved.
Justice is better than simple revenge.

Quote:
Now, its on to ridding the world of the rest of the Al Qaeda. There won't be any real "safety" until they are all annilated.
This will never happen, unfortunately. Fighting them recruits more to their cause.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 7:06 am
Second Year

Quote:
Justice is better than simple revenge.

This will never happen, unfortunately. Fighting them recruits more to their cause.

Believe me, this is OUR justice. The crowds in New York, on Pennsylvania Ave., and those glued to the tv right now (like I am) truly feel justified. We have had our closure, and I know now that the families of all of the victims would more then likely feel the same. It was never about the proper protocol for justice. This definitely has sufficed.

Unfortunately. It would be great to have them all in one location together and take care of it that way. The way they network though makes that completely impossible and irrelevant. Time now will tell...will they retaliate? We shall see.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 7:12 am
Banned

Quote:
Believe me, this is OUR justice. The crowds in New York, on Pennsylvania Ave., and those glued to the tv right now (like I am) truly feel justified. We have had our closure, and I know now that the families of all of the victims would more then likely feel the same. It was never about the proper protocol for justice. This definitely has sufficed.
Imagine the millions in the streets of NYC when the verdict is about to be read aloud. Imagine the reaction. It's far more powerful.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 7:14 am
Second Year

Quote:
Imagine the millions in the streets of NYC when the verdict is about to be read aloud. Imagine the reaction. It's far more powerful.
I understand what you are saying, but I think I will just agree to disagree on this one.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 7:18 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Godric View Post
From what I've seen of the reports Pakistani officials were on the scene with US forces during the operation that killed Bin Laden. So I am not as curious as I was earlier about any involvement in hiding Bin Laden on their behalf.
The very fact that it's morning in Pakistan and the govt still hasn't reacted (I haven't seen any) is very curious. Not sure if this was a joint military operation. Here's what one Pakistani journalist said on Twitter:

Quote:
Pretty clear this was not a joint-op. It was solely conducted by the US. Pakistani military was not involved.
https://twitter.com/#!/mosharrafzaid...11091808997376

There could have been intelligence sharing though, even if not actual military cooperation.

I refuse to believe Osama was in Pakistan, holed up in a large mansion in Abbottabad, without the Pak Govt or ISI knowing about it. It will be interesting to see more details about this in the coming weeks.

ETA: Of course the other side is that the Pak Govt may not own up to its involvement in leading to the death of Osama in fear of reactions from those in Pakistan who aren't anti-Osama.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; May 2nd, 2011 at 7:24 am.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 7:40 am
Sixth Year

When I woke up, my parents told me Osama was dead. I was pretty surprised. Now, am watching the news. I'm sure this and the elections over here would be top headlines for two weeks at least.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old May 2nd, 2011, 8:08 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
I couldn't agree more! But I must say, we DID it! Great job my soliders in uniform! Thank you will never be enough!
The hard work was done by the intelligence services and I'd say the special forces guys wouldn't have been in uniform.

Quote:
Believe me, this is OUR justice.
So the US now believes in mob justice? I don't think so.

It's one thing to be relieved and even pleased but I don't hold with triumphalism or gloating over any death.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless

Last edited by Wab; May 2nd, 2011 at 8:14 am.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 8:29 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
It's one thing to be relieved and even pleased but I don't hold with triumphalism or gloating over any death.
That's what I was thinking and I'd started wondering if I'm crazy or something because everyone seems to be celebrating. And I'm in the camp of those who would have preferred a trial.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 9:20 am
Genius Loci

Good news indeed. Very emotional moment for those families of the 9/11 and other terrorist attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
And I'm in the camp of those who would have preferred a trial.
Not sure he could have had a fair trial in any case. Plus if the US had their sights on him there was no way they would have given him up for an international court. Not sure I can disagree either.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 9:23 am
Fourth Year

I am more or less happy he is dead, but more because he is one of the big leaders of AQ and I hope it's a serious blow to their morale. I would be just as happy (perhaps even happier if he got to spend the rest of his life in a prisoncel).

As for a trial. I'm not sure it would be a good idea. It poses a really big risk and I think AQ would whatever they could just to get him out.

"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

- George Clooney, on his aversion to the social networking site.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 9:25 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Bigger criminals than bin Laden have been successfully tried in both civil and military courts.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives