Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Developing story: Bin Laden killed

Old May 2nd, 2011, 4:59 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Developing story: Bin Laden killed

This thread'll morph as news comes out, but according to many reports, Bin Laden has been killed. This thread can be used to discuss any developments / etc.

Remember, rules of DoIMC apply.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.

Last edited by gertiekeddle; May 5th, 2011 at 8:16 am. Reason: edited out rule addition about Osama pic because this won't come anyway
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2011, 5:11 am
Squee-worthy

Re: Developing story: Bin Laden killed

It is a little unbelievable. Amazing, just can't believe I am finally seeing the day.

CNN says that Osama was killed in a mansion outside of Islamabad, Pakistan.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 5:12 am
Fifth Year

I'm watching MSNBC, waiting for the President to speak. I'm wondering what this will do to the war in Afghanistan... I'm hoping it will signal a drawdown and that the troops will come home within a year (wishful thinking, I know, but I can dream...)

Staunch Defender of Severus Snape
Proud Member of House Slytherin

LightMahogany27 -- Slytherin
Redwood wand with unicorn hair core
10 3/4 inches, unyielding

Check out my fanfiction, in collaboration with Sinistra_Furze: A Trip To Remember

Snape lives IMHO
Old May 2nd, 2011, 5:15 am
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadiraSnape View Post
I'm watching MSNBC, waiting for the President to speak. I'm wondering what this will do to the war in Afghanistan... I'm hoping it will signal a drawdown and that the troops will come home within a year (wishful thinking, I know, but I can dream...)
Honestly, I think things in Afghanistan may get a little worse before they get better. There may be a backlash from Al Qaeda.

Also, I wonder, if the reports about Islamabad are true, if relations between the US and Pakistan will suffer.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 5:18 am
Renegade

I dunno. My Blackberry has been going off for an hour now. I posted something brief in the USPD, where I think I'm safer posting.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 5:26 am
The Next Great Adventurer

I think I'll believe it when the body is actually identified and DNA testing done. This is not the first time he has died.

That said, if he is dead, it will be more symbolic than having a real effect. AQ is more of an ideology and its followers and franchises will continue.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old May 2nd, 2011, 5:29 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
I think I'll believe it when the body is actually identified and DNA testing done. This is not the first time he has died.
Yeah I'd like to hear some evidence that it is actually him.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old May 2nd, 2011, 5:43 am

Going from the announcement they have the body.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old May 2nd, 2011, 5:43 am
Squee-worthy

Quote:
CNN and Fox News are reporting that DNA evidence has identified him.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 5:44 am
Fifth Year

President Obama just said that he was killed in a firefight. Apparently it was Special Forces that ran the operation, and it was done with the active involvement of the Pakistanis.

Staunch Defender of Severus Snape
Proud Member of House Slytherin

LightMahogany27 -- Slytherin
Redwood wand with unicorn hair core
10 3/4 inches, unyielding

Check out my fanfiction, in collaboration with Sinistra_Furze: A Trip To Remember

Snape lives IMHO
Old May 2nd, 2011, 5:47 am

From what was said it was more of an intelligence success than military.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 5:49 am
Registered Animagus

I found out about this via Facebook, which is a little sad...

Quote:

That said, if he is dead, it will be more symbolic than having a real effect. AQ is more of an ideology and its followers and franchises will continue.
That's pretty much how I feel. I doubt it'll change much except perhaps offer some closure to the west for a little while, until the next in line (so to speak) really takes over as the 'head' of AQ.

Even if they do have a body it's going to be hard to convince some people it's actually him.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 5:51 am
BANNED... No really they are...

I am definitely shocked. I didn't think the U.S. would ever catch him, let alone kill him!

As the president spoke, I found it incredibly poignant when he mentioned "the empty seat at the dinner table." Ten years dulls the memories, but it's not until something so significant as this happens that one remembers how much evil really hurts people.

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Old May 2nd, 2011, 5:54 am
Second Year

More of a symbolic victory at this point. This may even galvanize Bin Laden's supporters to strike back, because they had been pretty in-active for a while now

Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:06 am
Renegade

Statement from Former President George W. Bush.

GWBEarlier this evening, President Obama called to inform me that American forces killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of the al Qaeda network that attacked America on September 11, 2001. I congratulated him and the men and women of our military and intelligence communities who devoted their lives to this mission. They have our everlasting gratitude. This momentous achievement marks a victory for America, for people who seek peace around the world, and for all those who lost loved ones on September 11, 2001. The fight against terror goes on, but tonight America has sent an unmistakable message: No matter how long it takes, justice will be done.

Link

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:10 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

I don't think al Qaeda is dependent on one person. He was an important symbol and fund riser but his ideals will live on, although al Qaeda's actions may perhaps be less structured in the near future. But not necessarily less dangerous.

As for Afghanistan, the Taliban are not al Qaeda's puppets and I don't think this brings us any closer to peace and order in that country. On the contrary I'm afraid we will see some actions of revenge very soon.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:16 am
BANNED... No really they are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post

[...]

As for Afghanistan, the Taliban are not al Qaeda's puppets and I don't think this brings us any closer to peace and order in that country. On the contrary I'm afraid we will see some actions of revenge very soon.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Scares me, honestly.

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:28 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
I don't think al Qaeda is dependent on one person. He was an important symbol and fund riser but his ideals will live on, although al Qaeda's actions may perhaps be less structured in the near future. But not necessarily less dangerous.

Agree completely with this. Apparently Peter Bergen said on CNN: "Killing Bin Laden is ending the war on terror. We could just announce that right now." Well, that is very much mistaken IMHO.

Killing Bin Laden is definitely an important victory and one that no doubt is an important chapter in the war on terror. But Bin Laden is just a symbol, albeit a major one, of the larger problem.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:31 am
Banned

I would have preferred a trial, to be honest.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:35 am
Conquering Reading Lists

The full transcript of what I thought was an excellent speech by President Obama.

Quote:
Bin Laden was not a Muslim leader; he was a mass murderer of Muslims. Indeed, al Qaeda has slaughtered scores of Muslims in many countries, including our own. So his demise should be welcomed by all who believe in peace and human dignity.
Quote:
For over two decades, bin Laden has been al Qaeda’s leader and symbol, and has continued to plot attacks against our country and our friends and allies. The death of bin Laden marks the most significant achievement to date in our nation’s effort to defeat al Qaeda.

Yet his death does not mark the end of our effort. There’s no doubt that al Qaeda will continue to pursue attacks against us. We must –- and we will -- remain vigilant at home and abroad.
I'm still waiting for an official reaction from the Pakistani Govt and the ISI. I haven't seen any yet.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives