Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Liu Xiaobo wins Nobel Peace Prize 2010

Old October 8th, 2010, 12:24 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Liu Xiaobo wins Nobel Peace Prize 2010

Jailed Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo was today awarded the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize, in what Nobel Committee president Thorbjoern Jagland admitted would be considered a 'controversial choice'. The Committee said that Mr. Xiaobo was awarded 'for his long and non-violent struggle for fundamental human rights in China'.

China has denounced the awarding of the prize to Mr.Xiaobo and said it "runs completely counter to the principle of the prize and is also a blasphemy to the peace prize." China has also warned that the decision would hurt relations with Norway.

Some questions to start with:
1. What do you think of the Nobel Committee's decision to award Mr.Xiaobo?
2. China has expectedly, reacted strongly and blocked foreign TV stations CNN and BBC. Do you think China's reaction to the Prize will hamper its image further?

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; October 8th, 2010 at 12:39 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2010, 1:05 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Re: Liu Xiaobo wins Nobel Peace Prize 2010

I think it's an excellent choice, China's predictable response shows how much people like Xiaobo are needed to fight for the basic human rights of it's people. I thought China's threats of taking measures against Norway as a country pretty typical. They always do that when an individual, organisation or country points towards human rights violations.

I do hope that this Peace prize brings something positive for the Chinese people and not cause a backlash. But I'm rather skeptical.

2. China has expectedly, reacted strongly and blocked foreign TV stations CNN and BBC. Do you think China's reaction to the Prize will hamper its image further?

Xiaobo is the type of person that represents the Peace prize for me perfectly. Someone trying to make a difference and fight for more freedom for his countrymen. So for me it improves it's image. Of course China spins it differently but that's to be expected.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old October 8th, 2010, 7:59 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post

I think it's an excellent choice, China's predictable response shows how much people like Xiaobo are needed to fight for the basic human rights of it's people. I thought China's threats of taking measures against Norway as a country pretty typical. They always do that when an individual, organisation or country points towards human rights violations.

I do hope that this Peace prize brings something positive for the Chinese people and not cause a backlash. But I'm rather skeptical.

Xiaobo is the type of person that represents the Peace prize for me perfectly. Someone trying to make a difference and fight for more freedom for his countrymen. So for me it improves it's image. Of course China spins it differently but that's to be expected.
I too think that they made the right choice in picking him for the prize. He's trying to do his best for his own country.

I think it was brave of them to choose him for the award. And I think that they made the right choice in terms of picking him.

Probably not. They're pretty well known for doing this kind of thing when something happens that goes against what they want getting out there news wise and such.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old October 9th, 2010, 1:27 pm
Banned

Some questions to start with:

It's well deserved. Too bad few in China will hear about it.

I don't think it will matter. China's reputation as where you buy your cheap plastic stuff will override any concerns. If asked about it, most people will utter how horrible it is that the Chinese government treats people like this. They will then put on their I-Pod, labled made in China, and go back to their favorite music, and forget about it.

As for whether the reputation of the prize will suffer, I think in some peoples minds it's already inconvenient. After all they've already given it to that tree hugger Al Gore, now they point out some inconvenient truths about our business dealings. Screw the Noble committee.

Note that the second paragraph is not my views, but what I think many of our 'descision makers' are saying privately among themselves. Yes, it's cynical. I wish I could say it wasn't justified. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Old October 14th, 2010, 4:07 pm
Sixth Year

1) Perhaps unwise. Chinese students have already responded pretty nastily. To them no doubt it will be another western piece of nonsense, poking its nose into their affairs.

2) China doesn't have to bother about its image. It's biggest problem is the recent rise in things like minimum wage which are driving trade away from China since outsourcing costs are growing and meaning that manufacturers are looking elsewhere e.g. Italy or even back home. For the moment they are too big and too powerful to really have to worry too much.

i'm in slytherin!
Old October 14th, 2010, 5:28 pm
Seventh Year

1. What do you think of the Nobel Committee's decision to award Mr.Xiaobo? Well, it certainly is better than a couple recent choices like Obama and Al Gore. It's a bold pick, and given to someone that truly deserves it.

2. China has expectedly, reacted strongly and blocked foreign TV stations CNN and BBC. Do you think China's reaction to the Prize will hamper its image further? China's reaction is unfortunately predictable. However, the more light that is shone upon their civil rights record the better. As long as we don't isolate China, change will happen there. It will slow. It will be painful. Xiaobao won't see it happen in his lifetime, and we probably will not either. But China will someday shed its totalitarian government, and the world will be better off for it.

Old October 14th, 2010, 8:10 pm
Seventh Year

(1)Now this guy is deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize. Not that farce that went on last year.

(2)Do you mean will it hamper China's image? Or that of the Nobel Peace Prize? 'Cause I'm confuzzled.

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old October 15th, 2010, 5:47 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

I hope you didn't intend to say that the guy who got it last year is a farce.

Because, as we all know, rule breaking here in the DoIMC may have quite some consequences.

Old October 15th, 2010, 6:10 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
China has expectedly, reacted strongly and blocked foreign TV stations CNN and BBC. Do you think China's reaction to the Prize will hamper its image further?
Maybe on some levels but nothing concrete. I was more irritated by the Catholic Church condemning the winner of this year's Prize for Medicine, Robert G. Edwards.

The Nobel has a record of awarding the prize to fighters for human rights (or terrorists and radicals, depending on your stance) but after a brief flurry of attention things proceed as normal again.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old October 17th, 2010, 1:18 am
Seventh Year

There should be an uproar that Edwards didn't get it sooner.

Old October 17th, 2010, 3:09 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
I hope you didn't intend to say that the guy who got it last year is a farce.

Because, as we all know, rule breaking here in the DoIMC may have quite some consequences.
You mean Obama receiving the award? Yes, I thought that it was a farce - a show - then and still do. *shrugs* It may be breaking DoIMC rules, I can't remember, but it's how I felt then and now.

BTW, how is it breaking DoIMC rules? And that's not a [staff edit] question. I truly don't see what the problem is.

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5

Last edited by Alastor; October 17th, 2010 at 3:59 am.
Old October 17th, 2010, 3:58 am

Implying that the person Obama is a farce would have been an insult which you should well know is against the MoM rules.

Old October 17th, 2010, 3:22 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbetts View Post
You mean Obama receiving the award? Yes, I thought that it was a farce - a show - then and still do. *shrugs* It may be breaking DoIMC rules, I can't remember, but it's how I felt then and now.

BTW, how is it breaking DoIMC rules? And that's not a [staff edit] question. I truly don't see what the problem is.

-Tibbetts
Obama getting the Nobel was a farce because at that point he had not done anything to earn it, unlike say Jimmy Carter or Teddy Roosevelt, who earned Nobels for what they had done in the context of their presidencies or ex presidencies or even previous actions.

The prize was given over the fact that his very election and the implied change in US policy that would follow seemed to lessen tensions around the world. That, you could argue was a farce. That does not mean that Obama is a farce.

The fact that Obama didn't seem to think he deserved it speaks well of the man and less well of the Nobel commitee for giving it to him. Even though Tibbets may or may not share my opinion of Obama, I think that is what he was getting at. In that context, I agree with him 100% that last years awarding of the Nobel was a farce.

Old October 17th, 2010, 5:55 pm

The prize has been awarded for reasons not everyone can or wants to agree upon a number of times before. It happens that it really looks like the committee is working with a political agenda. If that really is the case I could consider calling it a farce myself. But we don't know what other people were nominated. Maybe they would have deserved it even less, who knows? For some reason the option not to award it at all in lack of deserving nominees hasn't been used since 1972.

Old October 17th, 2010, 9:10 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Obama getting the Nobel was a farce because at that point he had not done anything to earn it, unlike say Jimmy Carter or Teddy Roosevelt, who earned Nobels for what they had done in the context of their presidencies or ex presidencies or even previous actions.

The prize was given over the fact that his very election and the implied change in US policy that would follow seemed to lessen tensions around the world. That, you could argue was a farce. That does not mean that Obama is a farce.

The fact that Obama didn't seem to think he deserved it speaks well of the man and less well of the Nobel commitee for giving it to him. Even though Tibbets may or may not share my opinion of Obama, I think that is what he was getting at. In that context, I agree with him 100% that last years awarding of the Nobel was a farce.
Exactly. I'm not saying President Obama is the farce, only the award presented to him by the Committee so soon is the farce.

Quote:
The prize has been awarded for reasons not everyone can or wants to agree upon a number of times before. It happens that it really looks like the committee is working with a political agenda. If that really is the case I could consider calling it a farce myself. But we don't know what other people were nominated. Maybe they would have deserved it even less, who knows? For some reason the option not to award it at all in lack of deserving nominees hasn't been used since 1972.
Does the Nobel Committee release the names of potential candidates? If so, I'd like to see if those such as Liu Xiaobo were on that list. If they were, then Obama's prize was a politically motivated one, and a farce. Which is kinda sad.

-Tibbetts

Old October 17th, 2010, 11:34 pm
Seventh Year

Lunatic, I couldn't have said it any more cogently.

Old October 18th, 2010, 4:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbetts View Post
Does the Nobel Committee release the names of potential candidates?
Not before 50 years have passed.
http://nobelprize.org/nomination/nomination_facts.html

Old October 18th, 2010, 1:46 pm
Banned

I know that sometimes the fact that an organization or person is nominated comes out before fifty years if there is no political danger to the nominee. For example the Vietnamese Buddhist Monk That Nich Hanh was nominated for his work against the Vietnam war and the Organization Peace Jam (which gets Nobel Peace Prize Winners together with children) were both nominated but did not win during the last fifty years.

Old October 18th, 2010, 2:21 pm

There are always some nominated people the world knows about for the simple reason that no one can demand that the nominators keep it secret. It's also known that the laureate of 2008 had been nominated a number of times before.

That still doesn't prove that the committee is breaking their own rules. But of course it's possible that a member of the committee leaks some names.

Old October 18th, 2010, 10:03 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Wow... I'm 32(33 in November) now and with bad health. I highly doubt I'll make it to 83 years old.

-Tibbetts

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives