Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Pakistan Floods

Old August 26th, 2010, 1:31 pm
Malum Veneficus

Pakistan Floods

The 2010 Pakistan floods which began last month after heavy monsoon rains caused the death of about two thousand people along with the destruction of about a million of homes so far.

The United Nations estimates over 20 million people are suffering and homeless with over 160,000 square kilometres affected as a result of the flooding, (which exceed the combined total of the affected in 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, the 2005 Kashmir earthquake and the 2010 Haiti earthquake )

Many countries have donated money, medical supplies and foodstuff. Yet it seems to me that the disaster is getting much less attention than that of Haiti, much less attention than it requires. I'm wondering why is this..

Anyways, I read today that Taliban are planning to attack any foreigners delivering supplies to the people there. . No attack has taken place so far, though.(source). I wonder what they get from doing that..

Discuss the updates and related issues here,

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2010, 4:57 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Re: Pakistan Floods

Well I can only speak for my own country but Pakistan isn't "popular" here. Main reasons you hear about lack of interest in giving money: Due to their nuclear program, the fact that the Taliban in Pakistan has a foothold, a government that fails on practically all fronts (corruption, mismanagement of rivers, deforestation) and also people have lost trust in aid organisations (where does the money actually go to? is an often heard question).

That said, there is a national telethon on TV today. But only for an hour, which says enough.

Of course one shouldn't make the people of Pakistan suffer from all those reasons mentioned above, but it's how it goes.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old August 26th, 2010, 5:11 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

India offered, albeit a little late, $5 million to flood-hit Pakistan and PM Dr. Manmohan Singh spoke to his Pakistani counterpart about offering more assistance once the initial offering is accepted. Pakistan took its time to accept aid from India, claiming the 'sensitive' relationship the two countries share makes it necessary for Pak to think it over before accepting aid.

They've now accepted Indian aid and I'm glad they have. Everyone knows the scenario and mood of Indo-Pak ties, but politics should never interfere when there are innocent lives to be saved IMO. There is obvious widespread concern as to where and to whom the money will go, though.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; August 26th, 2010 at 5:14 pm.
Old August 26th, 2010, 5:19 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

The UK has been one of the top contributing countries so far (unsurprisingly, given our links with the country's past and our continual reliance on it as an ally):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...flood-aid#data

If the public response has been lacklustre, I think it's partly the fact that this comes relatively soon after Haiti and also the fact that the money given to Haiti has so far seemed to have had only a limited effect. It's heartbreaking - if people knew that the money they gave would get to the people who need it promptly and make an immediate difference, they'd give more.

Old August 26th, 2010, 11:11 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Dutch telethon raised 16 million, which is not too bad considering a lot of people are still on holiday.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old August 29th, 2010, 1:47 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes
and also people have lost trust in aid organisations (where does the money actually go to? is an often heard question).
That's why I actually prefer donating medical supplies and foodstuffs. That's what they really need at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose
Pakistan took its time to accept aid from India, claiming the 'sensitive' relationship the two countries share makes it necessary for Pak to think it over before accepting aid.
I read about this and I thought it was realy silly. Since it was admitted that their government couldn't deal with the catastrophe on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka
It's heartbreaking - if people knew that the money they gave would get to the people who need it promptly and make an immediate difference, they'd give more.
I saw this morning that about 70,000 children are at high risk of death. With no shelter, little food and medcine it is hardly unexpected.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old August 29th, 2010, 2:02 pm
Second Year

Not only are a lot of people dead, injured or homeless, but the areas affected are essentially Pakistan's economic powerhouse as well! Goodness knows the repercussions this will have on Pakistan and it's surviving peoples in the years to come.

I think that the main reason these floods haven't caused the sensation other natural disasters of recent days have is because it was a slow but deadly disaster, so it didn't have the shock factor of one minute everything's fine, and the next thousands are dead.

Old August 29th, 2010, 2:27 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I read about this and I thought it was realy silly. Since it was admitted that their government couldn't deal with the catastrophe on their own.
I thought it sillier and frankly annoying, that Pakistan said it won't accept aid directly from India, but wants it routed through the UN. Anyway, I'm glad they're getting all the aid countries can possibly give and I hope they use it to help the thousands who need it.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives