Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Deportation of Roma from France

Old September 26th, 2010, 3:07 am
Member of the Order

Re: Deportation of Roma from France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggle_Magic View Post
I agree with this, and I agree it is quite scary. The rightist extremists are gaining ground everywhere, in Europe and in the USA. And the Leftists in a number of countries are so disappointed with the leftist parties that they are turning to the right-wing extremists, including religious. But I'm afraid we're straying OT here.
Actually I'm writing something up to add to the immigration thread about this...

Because I have to wonder just how "right-wing" some are.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2010, 9:47 pm
Banned

Re: Deportation of Roma from France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
There's really only a very small percentage who change places regulary and mostly because they try to make money somewhere else. Over 90 % of them settled down in one place and that for years, sometimes for over 100. The idea that Roma are nomads who are wandering around all the time cause it's in their blood is false.
I agree with this.

And Rastaban, I'm not saying that "things were peachy 20 years ago", I said that 20 years ago and now, there is a well-integrated Gypsy community in France, who are just as upset with the Roma problem (illegal residence, crime) as the rest of the population. Probably looks down upon their fellow Roma in those situations too.

I can't help making a parallel - how the Vietnamese community who had settled in France prior to 1975 looked down on the refugees wave that came after the Fall of Saigon. And those "new immigrants" weren't even involved in any illegal or criminal activity. But sorry, that's totally OT.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives