Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

People's Misconceptions of Feminism



 
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old July 30th, 2010, 2:17 pm
Youdan Youdan is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4542 days
Posts: 527
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
See, this is what I think is one of the biggest misconceptions about feminism - that the pendulum has swung too far, that women now have unfair advantages and men are being unfairly treated. With the possible exceptions of child custody laws and provision for victims of domestic violence (and, let's face it, in the latter case there is still not enough provision for either sex - IMO we should be campaigning for more provision for men and women, rather than complaining that women get too much help), I really don't think that is true at all and IMO, even in Western democracies, women still get the raw end of the deal.

Someone posted a brilliant article on one of the other feminism threads last week. Unfortunately, it had to be taken down, as it wasn't family friendly, but amongst other things it highlighted that so many people are so used to men dominating and getting unfair advantages as being the norm, that any advance in women's rights is often perceived as "women taking over", rather than being the redressing of the balance that it actually is. e.g. it cited media articles claiming that certain jobs or academic disciplines are now"saturated with women" or "have been taken over by women", when women in fact only occupy about 30-40% of the roles in that field.
redressing of the balance? Is to tip the scales the other way.
There are 2 organizations here of women rights one is Government funded the other is not. One demans more power be given to women the other wants equal opportunity for women. See the differance and where many misconceptions about feminism come from. redressing a problem or fixing one.


Sponsored Links
  #42  
Old July 30th, 2010, 2:34 pm
Melaszka's Avatar
Melaszka  Female.gif Melaszka is offline
HighFunctioning Sociopath
 
Joined: 4442 days
Location: England
Age: 50
Posts: 3,294
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youdan View Post
redressing of the balance? Is to tip the scales the other way.
No, redressing the balance is ensuring that power is distributed equally. Tipping the scales the other way is giving the previously oppressed group more power than the previous oppressor.

Quote:
There are 2 organizations here of women rights one is Government funded the other is not. One demans more power be given to women the other wants equal opportunity for women. .
I don't know where you live or what the conditions are there, so I can't comment on the specific circumstances, but if women do not yet have equal opportunity (either legally or in practice - there is a difference. Just because discrimination against women is illegal it doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't happen in practice or that women do not face indirect barriers that men do not), the only way that women can be given equal opportunity is by giving them more power than they have at present. So I don't necessarily see a contradiction between what these two organisations are demanding. However, I'm talking in the dark here, so I'd welcome more details on your country and these two organisations.

ETA: Having read your post again, I think you might be talking about the difference between equal opportunities and positive discrimination, quotas etc. Am I right? If so, that's a thorny issue which I don't have time to go into properly at the moment, but, in brief - I don't believe in positive discrimination, but I do believe in monitoring numbers and if one group is in a distinct minority, it is usually worth looking to see if they are being indirectly discriminated against and seeing if action can be taken to remove barriers that are holding that group back.



Last edited by Melaszka; July 30th, 2010 at 3:58 pm.
  #43  
Old July 30th, 2010, 2:41 pm
NickHeartsMat  Female.gif NickHeartsMat is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3372 days
Age: 34
Posts: 273
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightreading View Post
I think the deal with anti-feminism is that everyone's afraid of women getting rid of those stupid gender roles, becoming independant and becoming equal. If people didn't hate women, people wouldn't hate feminism.
I actually think people don't like feminism because of statements like this. Just because someone doesn't label themselves feminist or has a negative view of what feminism is doesn't mean that they hate women and are against women's rights. Instead sometimes it just means that they don't identify with the feminist groups out there, or the people who identify themselves as feminists.

I think the underlying problem with how feminism is viewed is how feminism is "marketed" towards people BY feminists themselves. I know very few people (where I am from, I am not saying it is the case everywhere) that are against women's rights or hate women. However, that being said, most people I do know do have negative feelings towards feminists. Not feminism per say, but definitely feminists.


__________________
  #44  
Old July 30th, 2010, 6:11 pm
Trixa  Female.gif Trixa is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 3935 days
Age: 28
Posts: 511
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHeartsMat View Post
I think the underlying problem with how feminism is viewed is how feminism is "marketed" towards people BY feminists themselves. I know very few people (where I am from, I am not saying it is the case everywhere) that are against women's rights or hate women. However, that being said, most people I do know do have negative feelings towards feminists. Not feminism per say, but definitely feminists.
I know such people too but I have to say I don't take them very seriously. They say they want equality for women but whenever someone points out something that is discriminating towards women, for example women being objectified in the media, they simply don't seem to care. They think that as long as women have the opprotunity to get an education and good jobs the problem is solved. But the prejudices against women (and even against men in some cases) remain. They only see what is on the surface and don't care about looking just a little bit deeper. I understand that some feminists come across as extreme and have controversial views. There are many feminists I don't care too much for. But to condemn the whole feminist movement just because of some individuals is just an unjust generalization, IMO. If people support equal rights for women they should support feminist because the only reason why women have the rights they have today is because of feminism.


  #45  
Old July 30th, 2010, 7:22 pm
lightreading  Female.gif lightreading is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2968 days
Location: USA
Posts: 512
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

As usual, people cannot take their precious restrictive system being changed. That's all it is, really, and these people should not be taken seriously. There have been feminists I have disagreed with, this does not mean I do not still call myself a feminist.


__________________


"And Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem, and Mary, who was great with child, rode a donkey, except the donkey actually ran away during rehearsals....so she in fact arrived on a small, motorized lawnmower."
  #46  
Old July 30th, 2010, 7:45 pm
DancingMaenid  Undisclosed.gif DancingMaenid is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4770 days
Location: United States
Age: 29
Posts: 2,227
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

Quote:
Originally Posted by canismajoris View Post
But look at your own example here... in your effort to demonstrate that feminists don't only care about feminism, you've named one issue having to do with feminism, and compared it to what's generally seen as another feminist issue. You didn't mention war, or national deficits, or even the price of tea in China, just feminism. If your post were the only contact someone might ever have with you, could you really claim that it would alleviate the misconception?
Um, I was talking about two different, connected things there. I thought I made that clear. The example didn't have to do with what you're talking about. It had to do with feminists getting accused of focusing on "irrelevant" things when there are more vital issues. For example, on a few feminist blogs I read, people sometimes discuss things like TV shows or movies, either in a serious feminist context or not, and sometimes one person will comment with something like, "This is what's wrong with feminists -- you talk about stuff like this when women are being stoned to death for adultery in the Middle East." Most feminists, and people in general, realize that someone being stoned to death is more serious than a TV show. But feminists, like everyone else, still like entertainment and enjoy talking about it, and it makes sense to talk about it in a feminist context on a feminist blog. There's room for both that and more life-or-death, rage-inducing issues, and there usually is a mix of both.

But I've also seen the other thing I talked about. It's not uncommon for someone to respond to a feminist blog post with something like, "Men can be abused, too. Yet you're only talking about women being abused," or "You complain about women not earning as much as men, but you don't care that the economy has left many people unemployed." Unless the author of the original comments has actually been dismissive about stuff like that, there's no reason to assume so.

Quote:
I'm not trying to be combative, but I know that everyone has their own passions, and sometimes it's easy to forget about everything else.
That doesn't mean you don't care, though. You can recognize something as a valid concern or issue but just not have the time or energy to devote to it. Or, you can be devoted to it, but you're not necessarily going to bring it up when it's not relevant. If people are posting on a feminist blog, why would they talk about issues that don't involve feminism? I care a lot about the well-being of animals, but I wouldn't post about that on a feminist website unless it was connected to feminism somehow.


  #47  
Old July 31st, 2010, 8:14 am
Yoana's Avatar
Yoana  Female.gif Yoana is offline
Assistant to Minister Granger
 
Joined: 4555 days
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 35
Posts: 6,431
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHeartsMat View Post
I think the underlying problem with how feminism is viewed is how feminism is "marketed" towards people BY feminists themselves.
Could you please elaborate, and if possible, give some examples (links)?


  #48  
Old July 31st, 2010, 1:51 pm
NickHeartsMat  Female.gif NickHeartsMat is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3372 days
Age: 34
Posts: 273
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Could you please elaborate, and if possible, give some examples (links)?
A perfect example is the quote I was replying to.


__________________
  #49  
Old July 31st, 2010, 5:43 pm
canismajoris  Male.gif canismajoris is offline
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star
 
Joined: 4536 days
Location: əɹəɥ
Age: 35
Posts: 2,766
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHeartsMat View Post
I actually think people don't like feminism because of statements like this. Just because someone doesn't label themselves feminist or has a negative view of what feminism is doesn't mean that they hate women and are against women's rights. Instead sometimes it just means that they don't identify with the feminist groups out there, or the people who identify themselves as feminists.
Let's be reasonable here. I don't believe "if you don't call yourself a feminist you hate women" is a a generally-accepted tenet of feminism. Nobody's ever asked me to label myself one, anyway. There are lots of perfectly benign reasons not to identify yourself that way, and to be honest, I think assigning labels to people is more usually the favorite pastime of people who definitely aren't feminists. I've just never experienced this "join or die" philosophy in my dealings with feminists, and I don't really expect to, but I've certainly been nearly ostracized for trying to promote some of their ideas.

I can't explain why women would feel so threatened by feminism that they would refuse to associate themselves with it, but it's not about joining a girls club, it's about exemplifying principles that will improve the lives of women. If that's such a disingenuous thing, then I'd like to be guilty as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHeartsMat View Post
I think the underlying problem with how feminism is viewed is how feminism is "marketed" towards people BY feminists themselves. I know very few people (where I am from, I am not saying it is the case everywhere) that are against women's rights or hate women. However, that being said, most people I do know do have negative feelings towards feminists. Not feminism per say, but definitely feminists.
I wouldn't go this far either. I think feminists, like everyone else, can be overzealous. Occasionally they may not realize how they're being perceived, and that's something I've always wanted to address. I'm tapped into the male perspective of feminism in a way that most of them don't seem to be, and so I try to point these situations out when I see them. Still, it's hard not to have it taken personally and I understand why. A feminist discussing the ideals of feminism has to put up with a lot of hostility, you know. Their sincere and well-reasoned arguments are tossed aside by fallacy and indifference. They're called names. They're seen as troublemakers, or even dissidents, and on top of it all, since many of them happen to be women, they still face the same kinds of discrimination that all the other women do as a matter of course.

So you may feel that people where you live are in favor of women's rights--wouldn't we all love to believe that--but I bet there's still sexual harassment where you live, and I bet some women make less than men for no particular reason, and I bet there are women living with abuse at home, and I bet there are women who've been forced to accept roles they don't feel suited for. Can you really fault someone for having a problem with those things and speaking up about it? Is pretending the status quo is wonderful and that nobody could ever have a reason to complain really the best decision? I can answer that: no.



Last edited by canismajoris; July 31st, 2010 at 5:45 pm.
  #50  
Old July 31st, 2010, 7:03 pm
NickHeartsMat  Female.gif NickHeartsMat is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3372 days
Age: 34
Posts: 273
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

Quote:
Originally Posted by canismajoris View Post
Let's be reasonable here. I don't believe "if you don't call yourself a feminist you hate women" is a a generally-accepted tenet of feminism. Nobody's ever asked me to label myself one, anyway. There are lots of perfectly benign reasons not to identify yourself that way, and to be honest, I think assigning labels to people is more usually the favorite pastime of people who definitely aren't feminists. I've just never experienced this "join or die" philosophy in my dealings with feminists, and I don't really expect to, but I've certainly been nearly ostracized for trying to promote some of their ideas.
You know, I hear people say that this it is really rare and that no one really says that if you don't call yourself a feminist you hate women, yet I wonder why I hear that from so many so called feminists. Are they not really feminists?

Look, I really don't have a problem with feminists or feminism. It may sound like I do, but honestly I don't really care what people say or do because it doesn't affect me. I was merely answering the topic of thread with my own opinion of things. You are free to say its wrong, but being that it is my opinion based on personal experiences your opinion probably wont sway me. You will never hear me say that feminism is unnecessary, nor that I think all (or even most) feminists feel or act this way, I do think it is valid though that some of the loudest feminists voices (that I have heard anyways) DO feel this way. THAT is what I mean by how feminists "market" themselves to the public. If the public is getting a warped idea of what feminism means, I think it is up to feminist groups to come up with a new plan of how to spread their message to the public in a way that will actually give a better picture of what they want to portray.


__________________
  #51  
Old July 31st, 2010, 7:11 pm
Midnightsfire  Undisclosed.gif Midnightsfire is offline
Member of the Order
 
Joined: 5828 days
Posts: 9,415
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

On a related note...somewhere...

I recall when I was a supervisor for a warehouse where we have a large "temporary" workforce. Needed someone added to the 2nd shift, and when that person showed up, well, it was a young woman. Needelss to say the mgr looked doubfully at me, and taking the hint, showed her the workline where a bunch of guys were stacking battery packs, each case weighing 55 kgs (about 120 lbs). Explained to her that there might have been a mixup with her agency and that the job is rather labour-intensive. However, if she thinks she can handle it...?
*shrugs* I gave her a day's pay for her time..and later called the agency ripping into them for not explaining the job details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHeartsMat View Post
You will never hear me say that feminism is unnecessary, nor that I think all (or even most) feminists feel or act this way, I do think it is valid though that some of the loudest feminists voices (that I have heard anyways) DO feel this way. THAT is what I mean by how feminists "market" themselves to the public. If the public is getting a warped idea of what feminism means, I think it is up to feminist groups to come up with a new plan of how to spread their message to the public in a way that will actually give a better picture of what they want to portray.
I think you have a valid point.


__________________
All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
  #52  
Old July 31st, 2010, 7:52 pm
canismajoris  Male.gif canismajoris is offline
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star
 
Joined: 4536 days
Location: əɹəɥ
Age: 35
Posts: 2,766
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHeartsMat View Post
You know, I hear people say that this it is really rare and that no one really says that if you don't call yourself a feminist you hate women, yet I wonder why I hear that from so many so called feminists. Are they not really feminists?
Well... I have no way of knowing what your experiences have been or how you should interpret them. So, I won't and couldn't accuse you of exaggerating, but I'll admit this piques my skepticism. Personally, I've heard far more inflammatory comments (in both number and severity) made to and about feminists than I've ever heard coming from them.

I also don't really know for sure who elects to call themselves feminists and why. While it wouldn't be surprising that some women who call themselves feminists do more harm than good, again, I've never personally witnessed it to the extent you've suggested. Which is not to say that I've never disagreed with or gotten angry at a feminist... plenty of other posters in this thread can probably attest to that. But... that is rarely indicative of flaws in their techniques.

I'll admit I have seen what you describe... sort of. For example I know one woman, someone I used to work with... I've been chatting with her lately, because apparently she was involved with a male friend of mine, and she wanted someone to not talk about him with (hehe). Once, as she was in a particularly terrible mood, she said things along these lines to me ("men are pigs, I hate them" and so on), and identified herself as a feminist in the process. But you know... I think how I react to this says a lot more about me than saying it in the first place said about her. So I explained to her my views on feminism and my belief that men and women have to work together to achieve anything. Shockingly enough, she had questions, and even more shockingly, she then admitted she didn't know much about feminism. Well, now I'll admit I wasn't shocked. So what's my point? That it takes more than saying "I'm a feminist" to be one, and that you might be surprised how many people actually are without really realizing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHeartsMat View Post
Look, I really don't have a problem with feminists or feminism. It may sound like I do, but honestly I don't really care what people say or do because it doesn't affect me. I was merely answering the topic of thread with my own opinion of things. You are free to say its wrong, but being that it is my opinion based on personal experiences your opinion probably wont sway me.
I hope you realize that things people say quite often can affect you, and it's not a matter of choosing to be exempt. I got fired the other day because someone filed a complaint against me. Do you think my boss would have ignored if I argued that what other people say shouldn't affect me?

Furthermore, I think it's clear that for better or for worse, what people have said about feminism has affected your point of view. It would be impossible to escape such an influence if you've ever discussed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHeartsMat View Post
You will never hear me say that feminism is unnecessary, nor that I think all (or even most) feminists feel or act this way, I do think it is valid though that some of the loudest feminists voices (that I have heard anyways) DO feel this way. THAT is what I mean by how feminists "market" themselves to the public. If the public is getting a warped idea of what feminism means, I think it is up to feminist groups to come up with a new plan of how to spread their message to the public in a way that will actually give a better picture of what they want to portray.
Anyway, like I said, I can't know what you think or why, I can only go by what you've posted. As such, if I don't like what you say, I could choose to nitpick every single word you've used and exhaust my dying breath refuting you, or I could choose to call you names if I feel like a shortcut, or if I'm really in the throes of outrage, I could decide to send you a scathing owl about how horrible you are. But what would be the point when I can just talk to you, and take the chance that we might learn something about each other and the topic we're discussing.

Don't you suppose feminists deserve the same courtsey? Because I assure you, it is not universally extended.


  #53  
Old July 31st, 2010, 10:16 pm
NickHeartsMat  Female.gif NickHeartsMat is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3372 days
Age: 34
Posts: 273
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

Quote:
Originally Posted by canismajoris View Post
Don't you suppose feminists deserve the same courtsey? Because I assure you, it is not universally extended.
I think you are making assumptions about my post that I would like to clear up. I am all for feminists speaking up about their views whenever and wherever they would like. I am NOT saying anyone should be silenced. I am however saying that if feminists want to be portrayed as their version of what feminism is then that is the message they should be putting out. If a large majority of people have negative feelings about feminism then I think the burden is on feminists to band together to change that. I don't see how that amounts to me not giving feminists the courtesy to explain themselves. I was talking about a on a large scale. Personally I have no problem discussing anything with anyone, regardless of how different our views may be and I am not the type of person to throw around insults because I don't agree with someone (you have to earn my insults )


__________________
  #54  
Old July 31st, 2010, 10:23 pm
canismajoris  Male.gif canismajoris is offline
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star
 
Joined: 4536 days
Location: əɹəɥ
Age: 35
Posts: 2,766
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHeartsMat View Post
I think you are making assumptions about my post that I would like to clear up. I am all for feminists speaking up about their views whenever and wherever they would like. I am NOT saying anyone should be silenced. I am however saying that if feminists want to be portrayed as their version of what feminism is then that is the message they should be putting out. If a large majority of people have negative feelings about feminism then I think the burden is on feminists to band together to change that. I don't see how that amounts to me not giving feminists the courtesy to explain themselves. I was talking about a on a large scale. Personally I have no problem discussing anything with anyone, regardless of how different our views may be and I am not the type of person to throw around insults because I don't agree with someone (you have to earn my insults )
You seem to have interpreted my rhetorical question as an accusation, but it wasn't.


  #55  
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:39 pm
mac_attack's Avatar
mac_attack  Female.gif mac_attack is offline
Gwen's Auntie
 
Joined: 4161 days
Location: dancing in the glass parade
Age: 30
Posts: 900
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

Quote:
Originally Posted by canismajoris
I don't believe "if you don't call yourself a feminist you hate women" is a a generally-accepted tenet of feminism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightreading
If people didn't hate women, people wouldn't hate feminism.
....given that only one person in this thread so far, Nick, saw anything wrong with that statement, I'd say it seems to be an accepted tenet of feminism.


__________________
“Be one who nurtures and builds,
who has an understanding and forgiving heart,
who looks for the best in people.
Leave people better than you found them.”
― Marvin J. Ashton
  #56  
Old August 1st, 2010, 12:41 am
canismajoris  Male.gif canismajoris is offline
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star
 
Joined: 4536 days
Location: əɹəɥ
Age: 35
Posts: 2,766
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_attack View Post
....given that only one person in this thread so far, Nick, saw anything wrong with that statement, I'd say it seems to be an accepted tenet of feminism.
On the contrary. If we reanalyze both statements, it should be clear that there's no contradiction, and that my claim is still pretty likely.

Quote:
If people didn't hate women, people wouldn't hate feminism.
This may be interpreted to mean that one's (or one group's) feelings about women will predict one's feelings about feminism. And since there are people who feel that women's rights are currently adequate or excessive, it follows that they probably don't like feminism much. I can see some historical and logical support for the position, but I don't know if I'd quite put it in those terms. So anway, the statement, whether we agree with it or not, is about these people and their motivations for hating feminists, but it is not about feminism at all.

Quote:
I don't believe "if you don't call yourself a feminist you hate women" is a a generally-accepted tenet of feminism.
Here on the other hand, I'm asserting something about feminists, namely that I think they're unlikely to accuse someone of hating women just because they won't identify as a feminist. Nothing I've ever read about feminism deals with who must or must not be called a feminist (although I'm sure there are opinions on the subject), so there is probably no framework in place to deal with people who refuse the label. After all it wouldn't be logical to assume that, say, children, who may have never heard of feminism, will hate women just because they don't introduce themselves as feminists. Anyone who would claim such a thing has left feminism behind and founded a new form of irrationality.

So I stand by what I said, even though we could all do well to remember that feminist beliefs or lack of is hardly enough to completely define any person or group.



Last edited by canismajoris; August 1st, 2010 at 12:44 am.
  #57  
Old August 1st, 2010, 12:56 am
NickHeartsMat  Female.gif NickHeartsMat is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3372 days
Age: 34
Posts: 273
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

Quote:
Originally Posted by canismajoris View Post
So I stand by what I said, even though we could all do well to remember that feminist beliefs or lack of is hardly enough to completely define any person or group.
That was my whole point. What you label yourself doesn't matter, it's all in your actions. For instance, I wouldn't call myself a feminist but that doesn't mean I don't support women's rights. On the flip side, just because a male claims he is a feminist doesn't mean that he is less likely to commit offenses against women (ie sexual harassment, domestic violence, or any other offense directly contradicting feminism).

Actions speak louder than words which is why I took offense at the statement and offered that explanation as reasoning as to why feminism can be misunderstood by the general public.


__________________

Last edited by NickHeartsMat; August 1st, 2010 at 12:59 am.
  #58  
Old August 1st, 2010, 1:10 am
DancingMaenid  Undisclosed.gif DancingMaenid is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4770 days
Location: United States
Age: 29
Posts: 2,227
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHeartsMat View Post
You know, I hear people say that this it is really rare and that no one really says that if you don't call yourself a feminist you hate women, yet I wonder why I hear that from so many so called feminists. Are they not really feminists?
You hear that from a lot of people? Really?

Just because someone is a feminist doesn't mean they speak for the entire movement. Some people have different interpretations. Some people are jerks.

But I wonder if what you observed was more a misunderstanding. Feminism, in many ways, is seen as synonymous with women's rights and dignity, especially among feminists.

It makes a lot of sense for me to say that I care a lot about the well-being of animals, but I'm not a PETA supporter, because PETA is a specific organization with its own specific philosophy and agenda. But feminism is a very broad movement and philosophy.

So I do wonder, a lot, about people who say they're not feminists. What do they mean? Do they mean they care a lot about women's rights, but they don't identify with a movement, necessarily? Do they care, but were turned off because they have perceptions of feminism that are similar to yours? Or are they prejudiced against women? There are a lot of things a statement like that can mean, and people aren't always clear about it when they state that they're not a feminist.

For me, calling myself a feminist is a obvious as calling myself a United States citizen. So I don't always "get" why people choose not to identify even if they share my philosophy. I don't accuse them of hating women, but it's hard for me to get.

Quote:
I do think it is valid though that some of the loudest feminists voices (that I have heard anyways) DO feel this way. THAT is what I mean by how feminists "market" themselves to the public. If the public is getting a warped idea of what feminism means, I think it is up to feminist groups to come up with a new plan of how to spread their message to the public in a way that will actually give a better picture of what they want to portray.
You have a point, but I don't entirely agree.

On the one hand, yes, feminism is a movement, so feminists are responsible for the messages that are sent. But again, we're talking about a broad movement, not a single group. Judging all feminists because of the actions or beliefs of some is a little like judging all Christians because of the beliefs of certain denominations or individual churches.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that some of the loudest feminist voices are wrong. What are other feminists supposed to do, exactly, if they're preaching their own thing but are just not getting noticed?

There's also the problem that many of the people who are unhappy with the direction feminism has taken are not willing to actually be a part of the movement and perpetuate what they want to see. You shouldn't be a feminist if that doesn't feel right to you, but if you were, and called yourself one, maybe that would help send the message you'd like to see from feminism.

And finally, while there are perfectly valid critiques of feminism, most of the "criticism" of feminism that I've seen, in general, comes across as sexist or even misogynistic. For example, the idea that feminists are ugly, angry lesbians who hate men. Someone who has this sort of attitude towards women probably isn't going to support feminism, period, and it's not the responsibility of anyone to pander to people who are discriminatory or hateful towards them. Some people will always find a reason to hate feminists because they want to find those reasons.


  #59  
Old August 1st, 2010, 1:22 am
NickHeartsMat  Female.gif NickHeartsMat is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3372 days
Age: 34
Posts: 273
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingMaenid View Post
So I do wonder, a lot, about people who say they're not feminists. What do they mean? Do they mean they care a lot about women's rights, but they don't identify with a movement, necessarily? Do they care, but were turned off because they have perceptions of feminism that are similar to yours? Or are they prejudiced against women? There are a lot of things a statement like that can mean, and people aren't always clear about it when they state that they're not a feminist.
I think for a lot of people it boils down to caring about women's rights/issues, but not feeling any connection with a larger movement or particular group in the area. I know that is how I feel. I have yet to see any feminist groups in my area that I could identify with, and believe me, I have been to the groups at my school and they left me cold. I was turned off by the attitudes that they gave me for having children and the fact that I enjoy being a mom. It was odd. I know that most feminists aren't like that and honestly I have nothing against them, but I am not going to get involved in a group at my school that is so hostile towards my life choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingMaenid View Post
Judging all feminists because of the actions or beliefs of some is a little like judging all Christians because of the beliefs of certain denominations or individual churches.
While I agree with your sentiment and I personally don't think that anything should be judged by the loudest voices, I have to say that the reality is that it happens all the time. Christians ARE judged by their fringe, as a matter of fact, most religions are judged by their more extreme fringe. That doesn't make it right and I am not saying that it is but it happens all the time. That is why it is up to the less radical members/sects/denominations to go out and show what their religion is all about. True it probably won't touch as many people as those fringe voices, but at least it's a start.


__________________
  #60  
Old August 1st, 2010, 1:46 am
Midnightsfire  Undisclosed.gif Midnightsfire is offline
Member of the Order
 
Joined: 5828 days
Posts: 9,415
Re: People's Misconceptions of Feminism

Feminism has never been equated with equal rights.

And for the sake of many countries where women are still struggling it won't be.

"Equal rights" is a term with little ambiguity. Whereas, "feminism" is a pretty slippery word.


__________________
All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 5:06 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.