Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Gay Marriage



 
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old August 11th, 2010, 4:16 pm
vampiricduck's Avatar
vampiricduck  Female.gif vampiricduck is offline
Qvack...
 
Joined: 4660 days
Location: Cork, Ireland
Age: 27
Posts: 3,271
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatifically View Post
It appears that it will eventually get to the Supreme Court. I hope that they have the same opinion. If someone frowns upon homosexuality because of their religions and/or personal beliefs, I understand, but there isn't a good enough legal reason for banning gay marriages, IMO.

It's 2010 - about time for the U.S. to make gay marriages legal nationwide.
This thread is a breath of fresh air. I live in Ireland, and it's obscene what gay people here have to go through in terms of a lack of equality. A Civil Partnership Bill has just been passed, which will allow cohabiting same sex couples some rights- but this country will never acknowledge that gay people, like straight people, should be allowed to marry whomever they like.

Our Constitution is based on the presence of God in the Catholic faith; you'd think with everything that's happened here, we would try to assemble some courage and reject that; it's no way to run a state, not when people have suffered as a result. If religion is the problem, then it's pretty simple: take it out of our laws. Let people be whatever faith they wish (as it should be)- and thus, let them marry who they want to, same sex or no.


__________________

THE DUCK.

Avatar comes from bluebison.net
Sponsored Links
  #42  
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:07 pm
_mollywobbles_'s Avatar
_mollywobbles_  Female.gif _mollywobbles_ is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4190 days
Location: Ravenclaw Common Room
Age: 30
Posts: 341
Re: Gay Marriage

Thanks Legalese! I hope they come around too, in the mean time we have the love and support of our chosen family


__________________
Dumbledore: Proof that being normal is way overrated.

Ravenclaws: Study Hard, Party Harder!
  #43  
Old August 14th, 2010, 8:40 am
Melaszka's Avatar
Melaszka  Female.gif Melaszka is offline
HighFunctioning Sociopath
 
Joined: 4357 days
Location: England
Age: 50
Posts: 3,294
Re: Gay Marriage

I've just been reading an article about whether it's a good thing for gay couples to adopt all the trappings of heterosexual marriage, or whether that could be introducing into gay relationships some of the oppressive traditions and power imbalances of patriarchy:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...ban-california


  #44  
Old August 14th, 2010, 12:04 pm
AldeberanBlack  Male.gif AldeberanBlack is offline
Secret Chocolate Keeper
 
Joined: 3158 days
Location: London
Posts: 6,034
Re: Gay Marriage

The most important thing is that same sex couples be allowed to make those decisions themselves. Marriage may bring problems for any couple, but they have to find those things out for themselves.


__________________
The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black
  #45  
Old August 14th, 2010, 4:20 pm
Tibbetts  Male.gif Tibbetts is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4988 days
Location: United States
Age: 40
Posts: 1,859
Re: Gay Marriage

I agree, AldeberanBlack. Let them choose for themselves. They may find it is the best thing for them, or the worst. Either way, we should leave it to them to choose.


-Tibbetts


__________________
Cowl: "Insolent child! I will rip your mind asunder!"
Harry Dresden: "Bring it, Darth Bathrobe!"

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
  #46  
Old August 15th, 2010, 11:54 am
Melaszka's Avatar
Melaszka  Female.gif Melaszka is offline
HighFunctioning Sociopath
 
Joined: 4357 days
Location: England
Age: 50
Posts: 3,294
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post
The most important thing is that same sex couples be allowed to make those decisions themselves. Marriage may bring problems for any couple, but they have to find those things out for themselves.
I didn't mean to suggest otherwise - I totally support the campaign for gay couples to have the right to marriage if they want it.


  #47  
Old August 17th, 2010, 3:15 am
_mollywobbles_'s Avatar
_mollywobbles_  Female.gif _mollywobbles_ is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4190 days
Location: Ravenclaw Common Room
Age: 30
Posts: 341
Re: Gay Marriage

Is anybody else following the election in Australia? Some mighty fine bigotry is going on...

Wendy Francis, the Senate candidate from the Family First Party in Queensland expressed some of her views on gay marriage on Twitter last week, some highlights for those that aren't following:

“Australia would never recover from legalising gay marriage. Those who advocate this are not thinking of the dramatic consequences.”

“Children in homosexual relationships are subject to emotional abuse. Legitimising gay marriages is like legalising child abuse."

“Gay marriage = kids with no mothers or no fathers, parent-less generation; uncontrollable depression & suicide. Is that the Aust we want?”




Of course, due to the responses generated these tweets have since been erased. Does anyone else find these statements as infuriatingly bigoted as I do? What would be the dramatic consequences of legalising gay marriage? Gays would get married?
I know plenty of children and adults who have gay parents, not one of them has suffered from emotional abuse or commited suicide, If anything they have grown into being well-rounded individuals who are more accepting of difference than most and they have nothing but love and respect for their parents.


__________________
Dumbledore: Proof that being normal is way overrated.

Ravenclaws: Study Hard, Party Harder!
  #48  
Old August 17th, 2010, 6:11 am
Hysteria's Avatar
Hysteria  Undisclosed.gif Hysteria is offline
Registered Animagus
 
Joined: 4909 days
Location: Far away from you...
Posts: 4,146
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by _mollywobbles_ View Post
Is anybody else following the election in Australia? Some mighty fine bigotry is going on...

Wendy Francis, the Senate candidate from the Family First Party in Queensland expressed some of her views on gay marriage on Twitter last week, some highlights for those that aren't following:

“Australia would never recover from legalising gay marriage. Those who advocate this are not thinking of the dramatic consequences.”

“Children in homosexual relationships are subject to emotional abuse. Legitimising gay marriages is like legalising child abuse."

“Gay marriage = kids with no mothers or no fathers, parent-less generation; uncontrollable depression & suicide. Is that the Aust we want?”




Of course, due to the responses generated these tweets have since been erased. Does anyone else find these statements as infuriatingly bigoted as I do? What would be the dramatic consequences of legalising gay marriage? Gays would get married?
I know plenty of children and adults who have gay parents, not one of them has suffered from emotional abuse or commited suicide, If anything they have grown into being well-rounded individuals who are more accepting of difference than most and they have nothing but love and respect for their parents.
Family First are a bit nutty, to put it lightly, IMO. It's not all that surprising she said this at all. The party in general is against homosexual marriage (and just about everything else that doesn't fit in with their religious adjenda. I'm not saying that to stir anyone up, they don't even pretend they're not a religious party).

The crazy doesn't stop there though. Minister Penny Wong (Water and Climate Change) is the first openly gay minister the Australian Commonwealth cabinet. She's also against gay marriage. I don't care if she's just going with the party line or not (she hasn't claimed this btw), that just baffles me.


__________________
liebe ist für alle da
  #49  
Old August 17th, 2010, 7:17 am
_mollywobbles_'s Avatar
_mollywobbles_  Female.gif _mollywobbles_ is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4190 days
Location: Ravenclaw Common Room
Age: 30
Posts: 341
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Family First are a bit nutty, to put it lightly, IMO. It's not all that surprising she said this at all. The party in general is against homosexual marriage (and just about everything else that doesn't fit in with their religious adjenda. I'm not saying that to stir anyone up, they don't even pretend they're not a religious party).

The crazy doesn't stop there though. Minister Penny Wong (Water and Climate Change) is the first openly gay minister the Australian Commonwealth cabinet. She's also against gay marriage. I don't care if she's just going with the party line or not (she hasn't claimed this btw), that just baffles me.
Agreed. I have looked at Penny Wong argument from all sides and it just doesn't make sense to me, If I continue trying to work it out the Lesbian Feminist inside me will just get angry. I wonder what her partner thinks of the whole thing.


__________________
Dumbledore: Proof that being normal is way overrated.

Ravenclaws: Study Hard, Party Harder!
  #50  
Old August 17th, 2010, 10:55 pm
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4640 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,592
Re: Gay Marriage

Just heard about this today on CNN...

An appeals court put all same sex marriages on hold while an appeal takes place.


A little bit of the article...

*snip*

(CNN) -- An appeals court ruling temporarily blocking same-sex marriages from resuming in California drew strong reactions from opponents and supporters of the state's controversial 2008 referendum on the issue.

Couples hoping to marry rushed to cancel their plans after an order from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals late Monday set aside a federal judge's decision earlier this month that would have permitted same-sex marriages to resume in California as early as Wednesday.

And advocates on both sides of the issue said they were prepared to make their arguments in court.
"This delay is just really going to screw us up," said Harry Seaman, who was planning to marry his boyfriend Friday afternoon.

*snip*


And here we go again... the same old same old...


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; August 31st, 2010 at 11:35 pm.
  #51  
Old August 18th, 2010, 7:00 am
x_shannon_x  Female.gif x_shannon_x is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 5036 days
Location: somewhere in the clouds
Posts: 51
Re: Gay Marriage

There was a time when African Americans and Caucasian Americans were not allowed to marry. That was stupid, right?

Not allowing gay people to marry makes perfect sense... [sarcasm!!!!]

People say things all the time - gays can't raise kids, it's sacrilegious, it costs too much money - I'm waiting for any of those comments to be backed up with evidence.

I have yet to hear a strong, factually-based argument against gay marriage.


__________________
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."
  #52  
Old August 18th, 2010, 7:21 am
_mollywobbles_'s Avatar
_mollywobbles_  Female.gif _mollywobbles_ is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4190 days
Location: Ravenclaw Common Room
Age: 30
Posts: 341
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_shannon_x View Post
There was a time when African Americans and Caucasian Americans were not allowed to marry. That was stupid, right?

Not allowing gay people to marry makes perfect sense... [sarcasm!!!!]

People say things all the time - gays can't raise kids, it's sacrilegious, it costs too much money - I'm waiting for any of those comments to be backed up with evidence.

I have yet to hear a strong, factually-based argument against gay marriage.
It costs too much money?? Whats that argument?


__________________
Dumbledore: Proof that being normal is way overrated.

Ravenclaws: Study Hard, Party Harder!
  #53  
Old August 18th, 2010, 8:07 am
Hysteria's Avatar
Hysteria  Undisclosed.gif Hysteria is offline
Registered Animagus
 
Joined: 4909 days
Location: Far away from you...
Posts: 4,146
Re: Gay Marriage

If anything, wouldn't allowing gays to marry strengthen the economy?


__________________
liebe ist für alle da
  #54  
Old August 19th, 2010, 9:40 pm
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4640 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,592
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
If anything, wouldn't allowing gays to marry strengthen the economy?
That's what I figure as well Hysteria. Marriage is just that, in terms of making money from it -- since that kind of thing is a business, people getting married. No matter if it's two straight people being married or not.


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; August 19th, 2010 at 10:18 pm.
  #55  
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:48 pm
Beatifically's Avatar
Beatifically  Female.gif Beatifically is offline
Elvendork
 
Joined: 3995 days
Location: Central Perk
Age: 25
Posts: 2,183
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
If anything, wouldn't allowing gays to marry strengthen the economy?
That's what I'm wondering. Here's an article that points out what gay marriages can do for the economy:

Same-sex weddings good for economy, taxesMore than 130,000 same-sex couples, from California and out-of-state, would have spent $683.6 million on marriage-related activities, like weddings, honeymoons and travel over the following three years. That doesn't include money spent by the guests invited to the nuptials.

More than 2,000 jobs would have been created, and $64 million in tax revenue would be filling depleted state and local government coffers.

[...]

If Congress was to legalize same-sex marriage in all 50 states, the U.S. Treasury would benefit to the tune of approximately $1 billion annually, via tax revenues, according to a 2004 Congressional Budget Office report, based on the 2000 census. (links.sfgate.com/ZKCH)

Source

I think it mentions that the amount of money would be slightly less because of the current economic state, but the point still stands.


__________________

CoS and Pottermore sorted
You will never do anything in this world without courage.
It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.

- Aristotle

Specialises in awesome picspams.
  #56  
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:38 pm
_mollywobbles_'s Avatar
_mollywobbles_  Female.gif _mollywobbles_ is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4190 days
Location: Ravenclaw Common Room
Age: 30
Posts: 341
Re: Gay Marriage

*Writes 'Good for the economy' in the PRO-Gay-Marriage Column*


__________________
Dumbledore: Proof that being normal is way overrated.

Ravenclaws: Study Hard, Party Harder!
  #57  
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:43 pm
lightreading  Female.gif lightreading is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2884 days
Location: USA
Posts: 512
Re: Gay Marriage

That column's gettin' pretty darn long, I bet!


__________________


"And Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem, and Mary, who was great with child, rode a donkey, except the donkey actually ran away during rehearsals....so she in fact arrived on a small, motorized lawnmower."
  #58  
Old August 20th, 2010, 3:31 am
_mollywobbles_'s Avatar
_mollywobbles_  Female.gif _mollywobbles_ is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4190 days
Location: Ravenclaw Common Room
Age: 30
Posts: 341
Re: Gay Marriage

Well so far this Thread hasn't got anything listed on the Con-column... Unless Im missing something?

Which is GREAT!


__________________
Dumbledore: Proof that being normal is way overrated.

Ravenclaws: Study Hard, Party Harder!
  #59  
Old August 30th, 2010, 7:57 pm
MissGranger1979  Female.gif MissGranger1979 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 2828 days
Location: Ravenclaw Tower
Age: 24
Posts: 200
Re: Gay Marriage

I personally think that homosexuals should have as much right to marry as heterosexuals. Why should they be treated differently just because their partner is of the same sex? If straight people love someone, they get married, and gay people should be able to aswell.

People who are against gay marriage don't really have a reason to be. How will it have any impact on them personally if men are allowed to marry men, and women are allowed to marry women?


__________________


"if you attempt to - er - 'bring me in by force', I will have to hurt you" - Albus Dumbledore.

"We could have all been killed - or worse, expelled." - Hermione Granger.

"Just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have." - Hermione Granger

"Every child in our world will know his name!" - Minerva McGonagall

Proud RAVENCLAW.
  #60  
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:25 pm
_mollywobbles_'s Avatar
_mollywobbles_  Female.gif _mollywobbles_ is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4190 days
Location: Ravenclaw Common Room
Age: 30
Posts: 341
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissGranger1979 View Post
I personally think that homosexuals should have as much right to marry as heterosexuals. Why should they be treated differently just because their partner is of the same sex? If straight people love someone, they get married, and gay people should be able to aswell.

People who are against gay marriage don't really have a reason to be. How will it have any impact on them personally if men are allowed to marry men, and women are allowed to marry women?
I think the world would be a better place if everyone had a similar attitude to any sort of difference MissGranger.


__________________
Dumbledore: Proof that being normal is way overrated.

Ravenclaws: Study Hard, Party Harder!
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 7:55 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.