Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Oscars 2011

Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:42 am
Secret Keeper

Re: Oscars 2011

Yeah, well I am following the race really closely since there's a film (and a few performances) I feel strongly about I camp out on AwardsDaily

Comparing to last, well it was interesting last year and I followed it some because of the 10 nominee expansion for Best Pic, but the only one I felt strongly about was HBP and I knew it had no shot in hell I need to see more of this year's films though, so far I've only seen 2 BP contenders.

So I'm going off what others say at this point. Eventually I might see more, last year I ended up seeing 9 out of the 10 but only agreed with like 3...

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 22nd, 2010 at 10:57 am.
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:52 am
Representative Homosexual

I'm telling you. You should see The Social Network. Unless there are just some ridiculous films this fall/winter, it's a shoe-in for best picture.

Old November 29th, 2010, 12:30 am
Secret Keeper

Looks like I'll be 5 for 10 at best in terms of Best Pic predictions, lol. Love and Other Drugs, Hereafter, and Next Three Days don't appear to be swimmers, Tree of Life was pushed back 'till next year, and I have not heard anything about London Boulevard....what's the story there?

In other news, only 7 contenders have yet to hit theatres though all but one has already been seen at festivals and such far as I am aware.

These 7 films are as follows and it appears there's a good chance at least 3 of 'em will make the list of 10 nominees announced in January

Black Swan (Dec. 3rd)
The Fighter (Dec. 10th)
Rabbit Hole (Dec. 17th)
True Grit (Dec. 22nd)
The Way Back (Dec. 29th- LA only)
Another Year (Dec. 31st)
Blue Valentine (Dec. 31st) - if the NC-17 rating hasn't completely knocked it out of contention...

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 29th, 2010 at 1:25 am.
Old December 11th, 2010, 9:01 am
Seventh Year

Predictions in every category I can possibly predict (based, of course, on critical reception, word of mouth, and other award nominations so far):

Best Picture
127 Hours
Black Swan
Inception
The Fighter
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone

Best Animated Feature
How to Train Your Dragon
The Illusionist
Toy Story 3

Best Documentary Feature
Exit Through the Gift Shop
Inside Job
Last Train Home
Restrepo
Waiting for Superman

Best Director
Darren Aronofsky, Black Swan
Danny Boyle, 127 Hours
David Fincher, The Social Network
Tom Hooper, The King's Speech
Christopher Nolan, Inception

Best Actor
Jeff Bridges, True Grit
Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network
Colin Firth, The King's Speech
James Franco, 127 Hours
Ryan Gosling, Blue Valentine

Best Actress
Annette Bening, The Kids Are All Right
Nicole Kidman, Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence, Winter's Bone
Natalie Portman, Black Swan
Michelle Williams, Blue Valentine

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale, The Fighter
Matt Damon, True Grit
Andrew Garfield, The Social Network
Mark Ruffalo, The Kids Are All Right
Geoffrey Rush, The King's Speech

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, The Fighter
Helena Bonham Carter, The King's Speech
Barbara Hershey, Black Swan
Melissa Leo, The Fighter
Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit

Best Original Screenplay
Black Swan, Andrew Heinz, Mark Heyman, & John McLaughlin
Blue Valentine, Derek Cianfrance, Joey Curtis, & Cami Delavigne
Inception, Christopher Nolan
The Kids Are All Right, Stuart Blumberg & Lisa Cholodenko
The King's Speech, David Seidler

Best Adapted Screenplay
127 Hours, Simon Beaufoy & Danny Boyle
The Social Network, Aaron Sorkin
Toy Story 3, John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, Lee Unkrich, and Michael Arndt
True Grit, Ethan & Joel Coen
Winter's Bone, Debra Granik & Anne Rossellini

Best Film Editing
127 Hours, Jon Harris
Black Swan, Andrew Weisblum
Inception, Lee Smith
The King's Speech, Tariq Anwar
The Social Network, Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall

Best Cinematography
127 Hours, Enrique Chediak and Anthony Dod Mantle
Black Swan, Matthew Libatique
Inception, Wally Pfister
The Social Network, Jeff Cronenweth
True Grit, Roger Deakins

Best Art Direction-Set Decoration
Alice in Wonderland, Robert Stromberg (production designer), Karen O'Hara (set decorator)
Black Swan, Thérèse DePrez (production designer), Tora Peterson (set decorator)
Inception, Guy Dyas (production designer), Larry Dias and Doug Mowat (set decorator)
The Social Network, Donald Graham Burt (production designer), Victor J. Zolfo (set decorator)
True Grit, Jess Gonchor (production designer), Nancy Haigh (set decorator)

Best Costume Design
Alice in Wonderland, Colleen Atwood
Black Swan, Kate & Laura Mulleavy and Amy Westcott
Made in Dagenham, Louise Stjernsward
The King's Speech, Jenny Beavan
The Tempest, Sandy Powell

Best Original Score
127 Hours, A.R. Rahman
How to Train Your Dragon, John Powell
Inception, Hans Zimmer
The King's Speech, Alexandre Desplat
The Social Network, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

Best Original Song
"Country Strong" from Country Strong, Jennifer Hanson
"I See the Light" from Tangled, Alan Menken (composer), Glenn Slater (lyricist)
"If I Rise" from 127 Hours, A.R. Rahman (composer), Dido and Rollo Armstrong (lyricists)
"Shine" from Waiting for Superman, John Legend
"We Belong Together" from Toy Story 3, Randy Newman

Best Visual Effects
Alice in Wonderland
Inception
TRON: Legacy

Best Sound Mixing
Black Swan
Inception
The Social Network
Toy Story 3

Best Sound Effects Editing
Inception
Iron Man 2
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Toy Story 3

Best Makeup
Alice in Wonderland
Black Swan
The Wolf Man

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; January 25th, 2011 at 9:04 am.
Old December 11th, 2010, 11:47 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
Best Visual Effects
Alice in Wonderland
I hope not, but considering that The Golden Compass won in 2007 (the polar bears looked laughably fake) you never know. DH part 1 should rather get the nomination. No, the visual effects weren't groundbreaking or the main focus, but they served the story well rather than distract from it like in Alice in Wonderland. A couple of sequences like the Seven Potters and the horcrux scene looked spectacular too. Dobby might be the weak link though.

Old December 11th, 2010, 12:41 pm
Secret Keeper

LOL, AcidPops your list looks like something copied and pasted from AwardsDaily or wherever, but I'll post my own (many are sight unseen)

Granted some may be wishful thinking but I'll try being a bit more bold (I have a hard time believing Scorcese's picture will get shut out)

Best Picture

Inception
The Social Network
True Grit
The King's Speech
127 Hours
Toy Story 3
Black Swan
The Fighter
The Town
Shutter Island

Best Director

Christopher Nolan, Inception
David Fincher, The Social Network
Danny Boyle, 127 Hours
Ben Affleck- The Town
Martin Scorcese, Shutter Island

Best Actor

Jeff Bridges, True Grit
James Franco, 127 Hours
Ryan Gosling, Blue Valentine

Best Actress

Michelle Williams, Blue Valentine

Best Supporting Actor

Andrew Garfield, The Social Network
Ed Harris, The Way Back
Jeremy Renner, The Town

Best Supporting Actress

Amy Adams, The Fighter
Rebecca Hall, The Town
Melissa Leo, The Fighter

Best Original Screenplay

Black Swan, Andrew Heinz, Mark Heyman, & John McLaughlin
Blue Valentine, Derek Cianfrance, Joey Curtis, & Cami Delavigne
Inception, Christopher Nolan
The Kids Are All Right, Stuart Blumberg & Lisa Cholodenko
The King's Speech, David Seidler

Best Adapted Screenplay

127 Hours, Simon Beaufoy & Danny Boyle
The Social Network, Aaron Sorkin
Toy Story 3, John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, Lee Unkrich, and Michael Arndt
True Grit, Ethan & Joel Coen
The Town, Ben Affleck & Peter Craig

Best Film Editing

Inception, Lee Smith
127 Hours, Jon Harris
Shutter Island, Thelma Schoonmaker
The King's Speech, Tariq Anwar
The Social Network, Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall

Best Cinematography

Inception, Wally Pfister
127 Hours, Enrique Chediak and Anthony Dod Mantle
Black Swan, Matthew Libatique
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, Eduardo Serra
True Grit, Roger Deakins

Best Art Direction-Set Decoration

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, Stuart Craig (production designer), Stephenie McMillan (set decorator)
Black Swan, Thérèse DePrez (production designer), Tora Peterson (set decorator)
Inception, Guy Dyas (production designer), Larry Dias and Doug Mowat (set decorator)
Shutter Island, Dante Ferretti (production designer), Francesca Lo Schiavo (set decorator)
The King's Speech, Eve Stewart (production designer), Judy Farr (set decorator)

Best Original Score

Inception, Hans Zimmer
127 Hours, A.R. Rahman
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, Alexandre Desplat
The Social Network, Trent Reznor
True Grit, Carter Burwell

Best Visual Effects

Inception
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Alice in Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
I hope not, but considering that The Golden Compass won in 2007 (the polar bears looked laughably fake) you never know. DH part 1 should rather get the nomination. No, the visual effects weren't groundbreaking or the main focus, but they served the story well rather than distract from it like in Alice in Wonderland. A couple of sequences like the Seven Potters and the horcrux scene looked spectacular too. Dobby might be the weak link though.
Actually the elves looked amazing this time...and correct me if I'm wrong, I thought they expanded Visual Effects to 5 nominees? Potter should finally be in for this category...that they've constantly been snubbed should be a crime, granted CGI hasn't always been great.

P.S.

Don't know if anyone else saw but Blue Valentine won its appeal over the NC-17 and will be re-rated R...so it might be back in the race.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; December 11th, 2010 at 2:19 pm.
Old December 12th, 2010, 12:16 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Best Visual Effects

Inception
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Alice in Wonderland
Best Visual Effects is a three-film category, though (unless they've made a change that I'm not aware of).

Quote:
Shutter Island, Thelma Schoonmaker
Quote:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, Eduardo Serra
Quote:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, Stuart Craig (production designer), Stephenie McMillan (set decorator)
Well, I hope you turn out to be right with these particular predictions (hell, I think Thelma Schoonmaker should receive an automatic nomination for every film she does). It boggles my mind that Stuart Craig and Stephenie McMillan haven't been recognized for these films yet, so I'm hoping (maybe foolishly, I don't know, it depends on how next year shakes out - which is to say, it depends on whether an oh-so-prestigious royalty period piece comes along to get the art direction Oscar) they get it for Part 2. Part 1 is very different in that aspect, too; there are far fewer big, lavish sets, far fewer sets period, obviously, what with that Camping Trip from Hell stretch, so I don't think they'll make it in.

Old December 12th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
Best Visual Effects is a three-film category, though (unless they've made a change that I'm not aware of).
They voted to expand it, but I'm not sure if it passed. I couldn't find any follow up articles. Anyways, I guess we'll find out soon enough

Quote:
Well, I hope you turn out to be right with these particular predictions (hell, I think Thelma Schoonmaker should receive an automatic nomination for every film she does). It boggles my mind that Stuart Craig and Stephenie McMillan haven't been recognized for these films yet, so I'm hoping (maybe foolishly, I don't know, it depends on how next year shakes out - which is to say, it depends on whether an oh-so-prestigious royalty period piece comes along to get the art direction Oscar) they get it for Part 2. Part 1 is very different in that aspect, too; there are far fewer big, lavish sets, far fewer sets period, obviously, what with that Camping Trip from Hell stretch, so I don't think they'll make it in.
I think it's an injustice Stuart Craig hasn't won yet for HP, but he has been nominated twice at least. Now he is due for another art direction nomination. His last was in '06 for Goblet. The first was for Sorcerer's Stone btw. Might there be an every third film pattern? Let's hope.

I have to say, I'm not getting what you're saying about Part 1. There's only about 30 minutes of camping. The rest contains some great sets. Heck, Malfoy Manor's exteriors and interiors alone should be enough for an Oscar nod if you ask me. On top of that you've got the Ministry. The Magic is Might statue is epic, there are new places like Umbridge's office, the place with all the desks of Ministry workers creating the pamphlets, the black hallways/chambers, the improved courtroom. There's also the wedding set, Godric's Hollow, the Lovegood's, etc, etc

Oh, not to mention new looks to the Burrow, Diagon Alley, and #12.

It is Serra's cinematography though which makes the sets look as brilliant as they really are. Compare shots (ie Grimmauld Place set shots) with ones in Order of the Phoenix. The difference is huge and these are the same sets. The cinematography rivals HBP and that got a nom.

Also, I find it interesting that you've selected Desplat for The King's Speech instead of DH. I know that TKS is supposed to be a Best Picture frontrunner, but is the score really that good? I think it's almost a given that Desplat will make it in for at least one of these considering his track record with the Academy...I just hope you're wrong and that he gets in for Potter instead. His score for DH: Part 1 score is fantastic.

BTW, having just watched The Kid's Are All Right I don't think that'll be a big presence in the Oscars. I see it being sorta like last year's It's Complicated, which had a presence at the Globes but not the Oscars. TKAAR is a little more drama heavy though, so I guess I can see an acting nom or two for it if nothing else Personally I don't think either of the indies (Winter's Bone being the other) should make the cut.

I'd much rather see a film like The Town fill one of those last spots.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; December 12th, 2010 at 1:27 pm.
Old December 12th, 2010, 4:49 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Increasing chatter about Jacqui Weaver getting a nom for her role in Animal Kingdom after winning the Best Lead Actress at the AFI awards and the National Board of Review named her Best Supporting Actress.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old December 12th, 2010, 7:10 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
I think it's an injustice Stuart Craig hasn't won yet for HP, but he has been nominated twice at least. Now he is due for another art direction nomination. His last was in '06 for Goblet. The first was for Sorcerer's Stone btw. Might there be an every third film pattern? Let's hope.

I have to say, I'm not getting what you're saying about Part 1. There's only about 30 minutes of camping. The rest contains some great sets. Heck, Malfoy Manor's exteriors and interiors alone should be enough for an Oscar nod if you ask me. On top of that you've got the Ministry. The Magic is Might statue is epic, there are new places like Umbridge's office, the place with all the desks of Ministry workers creating the pamphlets, the black hallways/chambers, the improved courtroom. There's also the wedding set, Godric's Hollow, the Lovegood's, etc, etc

Oh, not to mention new looks to the Burrow, Diagon Alley, and #12.

It is Serra's cinematography though which makes the sets look as brilliant as they really are. Compare shots (ie Grimmauld Place set shots) with ones in Order of the Phoenix. The difference is huge and these are the same sets. The cinematography rivals HBP and that got a nom.

Also, I find it interesting that you've selected Desplat for The King's Speech instead of DH. I know that TKS is supposed to be a Best Picture frontrunner, but is the score really that good? I think it's almost a given that Desplat will make it in for at least one of these considering his track record with the Academy...I just hope you're wrong and that he gets in for Potter instead. His score for DH: Part 1 score is fantastic.

BTW, having just watched The Kid's Are All Right I don't think that'll be a big presence in the Oscars. I see it being sorta like last year's It's Complicated, which had a presence at the Globes but not the Oscars. TKAAR is a little more drama heavy though, so I guess I can see an acting nom or two for it if nothing else Personally I don't think either of the indies (Winter's Bone being the other) should make the cut.

I'd much rather see a film like The Town fill one of those last spots.
Hey, you do not need to sell me on Stuart Craig's work at all. I wasn't saying that Deathly Hallows: Part 1 was undeserving, I was saying I don't think it's large-scale enough for the Academy to really take notice. Again, I hope I'm wrong. I think in general, you're kind of taking the wrong approach here. In making predictions, you have to almost totally put aside what you personally think is deserving and focus squarely on what will more likely make it in based on word of mouth, other awards out there, Oscar trends and biases, and the kind of film it is. Sometimes, those overlap; often, they don't.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; December 12th, 2010 at 7:16 pm.
Old December 12th, 2010, 8:23 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Best Picture = Tron 2: Revenge Of The Tron

You heard it here first.

Old December 13th, 2010, 3:37 pm
Secret Keeper

Hmm, well the BFCA nominations might be the nail in the coffin for Shutter Island, unfortunately. That association tends to go more popular/mainstream (ie they gave Best Picture to Saving Private Ryan, nominated TDK, etc) and they gave Shutter Island a respectable score of 81 and yet it got shut out of the nominations list. Unless the Academy's love for Scorsese trumps what all these critics are saying I'm thinking now that it won't make a showing at the big dance. Guess it was just released too early and has been long forgotten.

The list can be found here- http://www.bfca.org/ccawards/2010.php

Aside from no Shutter Island I would have liked to have seen Inception down for Best Ensemble and HP7 for cinematography, art direction, and original score…but otherwise some really excellent choices. Loved seeing the recognition for The Town and Inception with 10 noms.

I was curious what exactly the whole spread was for the Best Pic nominees, so I went through and tabulated. The BFCA really know how to spread the love, lol.

Black Swan- 12 noms
True Grit- 11 noms
The King’s Speech- 11 noms
Inception- 10 noms
The Social Network- 9 noms
127 Hours- 8 noms
The Fighter- 6 noms
The Town- 5 noms
Toy Story 3- 5 noms
Winter’s Bone- 4 noms

If it were me I'd replace Winter's Bone with Shutter Island in that 10th slot. Looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about Black Swan.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; December 13th, 2010 at 3:46 pm.
Old December 13th, 2010, 8:21 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Yay for Toy Story 3 ! Glad it got some nominations. 127 Hours looks like it'll be a good movie, so it's nice to see that it got nominated. And The Fighter, I'm glad that one got nominated too -- it certainly deserves it -- at least from what I've seen so far via the previews.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:06 pm
First Year

I have a lot of guesses and hopes, but my main one is that Helena Bonham Carter better win the Oscar for "The King's Speech"...She was nominated just once for "The Wings Of The Dove" (Which is amazing, by the way) in '97, and lost out.

She's done so much wonderful work (sadly, anything away from Tim Burton and HP never gets the publicity it deserves) and truly has earned it by now.

Proud Gryffinpuff/Huffledor.
Old December 16th, 2010, 3:46 pm
Seventh Year

The SAG awards are one of the best predictors of the Oscar nominations, and here they are:

Best Acting Ensemble
Black Swan
The Fighter
The King's Speech
The Kids Are All Right
The Social Network

Best Actor
Jeff Bridges, True Grit
Robert Duvall, Get Low
James Franco, 127 Hours

Best Actress
Hilary Swank, Conviction

Best Supporting Actor
John Hawkes, Winter's Bone
Jeremy Renner, The Town

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, The Fighter
Mila Kunis, Black Swan
Melissa Leo, The Fighter

Old December 16th, 2010, 3:54 pm
Secret Keeper

The Globes and SAG's are pretty B.S. this year...

Golden Globes :    

Best Motion Picture, Drama
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The King’s Speech
The Social Network

Best Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical
Alice in Wonderland
Burlesque
The Kids Are All Right
Red
The Tourist

Best Director - Motion Picture
Darren Aronofsky
Black Swan
David Fincher
The Social Network
Tom Hooper
The King's Speech
Christopher Nolan
Inception
David O. Russell
The Fighter

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama
Jesse Eisenberg
The Social Network
Colin Firth
The King's Speech
James Franco
127 Hours
Ryan Gosling
Blue Valentine
Mark Wahlberg
The Fighter

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama
Halle Berry
Frankie and Alice
Nicole Kidman
Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence
Winter's Bone
Natalie Portman
Black Swan
Michelle Williams
Blue Valentine

Best Actor in a Motion Picture, Comedy
Johnny Depp
Alice in Wonderland
Johnny Depp
The Tourist
Paul Giamatti
Barney's Version
Jake Gyllenhaal
Love and Other Drugs
Kevin Spacey
Casino Jack

Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Comedy
Anne Hathaway
Love and Other Drugs
Julianne Moore
The Kids Are All Right
Annette Bening
The Kids Are All Right
Emma Stone
Easy A
Angelina Jolie
The Tourist

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture
Christian Bale
The Fighter
Michael Douglas
Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps
Andrew Garfield
The Social Network
Jeremy Renner
The Town
Geoffrey Rush
The King's Speech

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
Amy Adams
The Fighter
Helena Bonham Carter
The King's Speech
Mila Kunis
Black Swan
Melissa Leo
The Fighter
Jacki Weaver
Animal Kingdom

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
127 Hours
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
The Social Network
Inception

Best Animated Feature Film
Despicable Me
How to Train Your Dragon
The Illusionist
Toy Story 3
Tangled

Best Foreign Language Film
Biutiful
The Concert
The Edge
I Am Love
In a Better World

Best Original Song - Motion Picture
Bound to You
Burlesque
Coming Home
Country Strong
I See the Light
Tangled
There's a Place for Us
Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
You Haven't Seen the Last of Me
Burlesque

Best Original Score - Motion Picture
Alexandre Desplot
The King's Speech
Danny Elfman
Alice in Wonderland
A.R. Rahmin
127 Hours
Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross
The Social Network
Hans Zimmer
Inception

No Town (other then Renner's nod), No acting nominations for Inception, and no Best Score nom for DH. Instead they gave Desplat's nom for The King's Speech. Now is that score really THAT good or is just an obligatory nomination cause of the quality of the film as a whole?

BTW, what the heck is up with those comedy/musical nominations?!

SAG:    

Ensemble:
Black Swan
The Fighter
The Kids Are All Right
The King’s Speech
The Social Network

Actress, Lead:
Jennifer Lawrence, Winter’s Bone
Hilary Swank, Conviction

Actor, Motion Picture
Jeff Bridges, True Grit
Robert Duvall, Get Low
Colin Firth, The King’s Speech
James Franco, 127 Hours

Supporting Actor
John Hawkes, Winter’s Bone
Jeremy Renner, The Town
Geoffrey Rush, The King’s Speech

Actress, Supporting
Amy Adams, The Fighter
Helena Bonham Carter, The King’s Speech
Mila Kunis, Black Swan
Melissa Leo, The Fighter

The Kids Are All Right for Best Ensemble?! You gotta be kidding me...over The Town, Inception, or Shutter Island? No way...TKAAR just has a few great performances; it's not a whole cast effort. If Up in the Air didn't get nominated last year there's no way in hell this should have. And I'm shocked at the Andrew Garfield snub for supporting actor! Easily the best I've seen this year and definitely better then Ruffalo

There's much more I could complain about, but I'll leave it that for now...

Last edited by lcbaseball22; December 16th, 2010 at 4:01 pm.
Old December 16th, 2010, 5:55 pm
Queen of Apathy

Can we please be respectful to each other in here. First and only warning.

Old December 16th, 2010, 6:28 pm
Banned

I've given up on following the Oscars and caring what is chosen because I think they got it wrong for so many years. I last time I agreed with their decision was when Crash (2004) won Best picture. Before that The Aviator should have won. Fellowship and The Two Towers should have won in their respective years, and the Academy got it terribly wrong when The Departed, No Country for Old Men, Slumdog Millionaire, and The Hurt Locker took the top prizes.

Old December 17th, 2010, 12:09 am
Secret Keeper

Let's just hope Oscars don't follow suit...with all the great films/performances this year it'd be a shame if some of these alternates get in.

For instance, Mark Ruffalo for The Kids Are Alright...seriously? Yes, he's a good actor, but heck he was better in Shutter Island then TKAA.

I also didn't think Duvall was THAT great in Get Low and he's had more then enough recognition in the past so let's spread the love a bit.

Sure, Robert Duvall is a legend...but I can think of at least three names more deserving of a Best Actor nom in this highly competitive year.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; December 17th, 2010 at 12:23 am.
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:39 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
For instance, Mark Ruffalo for The Kids Are Alright...seriously? Yes, he's a good actor, but heck he was better in Shutter Island then TKAA.
Oh, Ruffalo will get a nod for The Kids Are All Right, he's been a frontrunner for that for a while.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives