Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Oscars 2011

Old September 20th, 2010, 2:27 pm
Second Year

Re: Oscars 2011

What about Alice in Wonderland? It's not really a contender for Best Picture, but Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter were both excellent in it. So with the other films they're doing this year, there is perhaps an Oscar in store for them...?
The costume design and visual effects were quite good as well for this one.

Toy Story 3 is certainly going to win BAF, and is a possible contender for BP, IMO.

I would LOVE to see DH1 win something, but they'd probably wait to award the whole movie in 2012, if they did it at all.

--
"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."

Last edited by TheScribbler; September 26th, 2010 at 6:23 am.
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2010, 3:50 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScribbler View Post
What about Alice in Wonderland? It's probably not a good contender for Best Picture, but Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter were both excellent in it. So with the other films they're doing this year, there is perhaps an Oscar in store for them...?
The costume design and visual effects were quite good as well for this one.
Alice in Wonderland has a great chance at Visual Effects and Art Direction nods, and I think that's it. No one should confuse any Oscar predictions I make (or any Oscar predictions in general) with opinions about what's deserving, though, because that's not what this is about; it's about educated guessing as to what the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences will go for. For that matter, I doubt we'll see any "major" nominations for Deathly Hallows, even in 2012, after Part 2 has been released and the whole saga is complete, because the series just hasn't had the kind of critical and awards acclaim that would make that at all likely. Plus, Harry Potter is still a story so perceived as kid's stuff in a way that Lord of the Rings is not.

Old September 20th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScribbler View Post
What about Alice in Wonderland? It's probably not a good contender for Best Picture, but Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter were both excellent in it.
Johnny Depp was basically Jack Sparrow at various parts in the film, so I don't think he performed well.

Old September 20th, 2010, 11:24 pm
Secret Keeper

Hmm, this is very interesting- http://www.awardsdaily.com/2010/09/f...m-of-the-year/

But who is the FIPRESCI?

While I personally thought The Ghost Writer was quite excellent myself, I agree with Sasha that the chances of an Oscar nom are slim...if only because of the hoopla surrounding Polanski's name. Depending on how influential this group is though, perhaps it gives it some steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
For that matter, I doubt we'll see any "major" nominations for Deathly Hallows, even in 2012, after Part 2 has been released and the whole saga is complete, because the series just hasn't had the kind of critical and awards acclaim that would make that at all likely. Plus, Harry Potter is still a story so perceived as kid's stuff in a way that Lord of the Rings is not.
Yeah, probably not but we can hope. I actually think that Part 1 might have a better shot since it's got more of the drama and emotional material then Part 2, which will be more of a full-on action film. Unfortuantly, as happy as I am about the split I'm afraid it may hamper any chances DH did have at "major" nominations. And I'm pretty sure they'll look at 'em seperately, they won't consider 'em together, will they?

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; September 20th, 2010 at 11:34 pm.
Old September 20th, 2010, 11:42 pm
Banned

academy people have said before that they pruposly waited to honor LOTR until it was complete with ROTK

Old September 20th, 2010, 11:50 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRaynor View Post
academy people have said before that they pruposly waited to honor LOTR until it was complete with ROTK
Yes, I've always sorta thought that (though the other 2 films got quite a bit of Oscar love as well) and I think it could have been the case for Potter as well IF Deathly Hallows reaches it's full potential...however, now with the split awards voters will have to decide between the two parts. There no longer seems to be the option of awarding DH as a whole...and apparently the 2 parts are gonna have very different feels.

You get what I'm saying? I think as a complete film it would have a lot better chance, if there was any chance to begin with. So far HP hasn't been the quality LotR was, with the exception of perhaps HBP...though I know some would disagree with me on that, I think it's the best...

Now I'm hoping DH will surpass all previous Potter films...but I'm not sure even that would be enough, and again the split probably hinders.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; September 20th, 2010 at 11:56 pm.
Old September 20th, 2010, 11:52 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
I actually think that Part 1 might have a better shot since it's got more of the drama and emotional material then Part 2, which will be more of a full-on action film. Unfortuantly, as happy as I am about the split I'm afraid it may hamper any chances DH did have at "major" nominations. And I'm pretty sure they'll look at 'em seperately, they won't consider 'em together, will they?
It's kind of hard to say. I mean, it's true that it's going to be harder to acknowledge Deathly Hallows when we're seeing it released in two parts, but then, The Return of the King did not truly win its 11 Oscars just for that individual piece of the puzzle, it was in large part honoring the trilogy as a whole. You know what I personally would find most heartening? Oscars for Stuart Craig (production designer on the HP films) and Stephenie McMillan (set decorator on the HP films). To me, the art direction is the element that has excelled above all others over the course of this series, yet Craig and McMillan (there are many more members of the team, of course, but the Oscars nominate the production designer and set decorator) have only been nominated for Sorcerer's Stone and Goblet of Fire, and won for neither. I would absolutely love to see them win this last time.

Quote:
While I personally thought The Ghost Writer was quite excellent myself, I agree with Sasha that the chances of an Oscar nom are slim...if only because of the hoopla surrounding Polanski's name. Depending on how influential this group is though, perhaps it gives it some steam.
I agree, The Ghost Writer has little chance of any "major" Oscar nominations - not because of Polanski's name or scandal, though (the man did win Best Director for The pianist in 2003), but because of the kind of movie it is, this conspiracy-thriller potboiler; it's just not in the Academy's wheelhouse.

Old September 21st, 2010, 12:06 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
It's kind of hard to say. I mean, it's true that it's going to be harder to acknowledge Deathly Hallows when we're seeing it released in two parts, but then, The Return of the King did not truly win its 11 Oscars just for that individual piece of the puzzle, it was in large part honoring the trilogy as a whole. You know what I personally would find most heartening? Oscars for Stuart Craig (production designer on the HP films) and Stephenie McMillan (set decorator on the HP films). To me, the art direction is the element that has excelled above all others over the course of this series, yet Craig and McMillan (there are many more members of the team, of course, but the Oscars nominate the production designer and set decorator) have only been nominated for Sorcerer's Stone and Goblet of Fire, and won for neither. I would absolutely love to see them win this last time.
Yeah, I'm really confused how this is going to play out though. Could there be an official announcment from the Academy that they are going to wait until 2012 to decide if DH as a whole is deserving...or would WB perhaps encourage them to wait? I'm not sure I exactly understand either...what do studio's gain from Oscar noms/wins? Do they get money similar to sports when a team wins the Superbowl, World Series, etc? I mean what would be in the best interest of those involved...or do they figure a Potter film has no chance and don't even care?

I hope that's not their mindset, cause it does look like it might be a fairly weak year...and if more of those Fall films end up sinking then swimming (which is entirely possible) I don't think major awards are completely out of reach if they wish to consider Pt. 1 separately.

Major awards aside though, I would think it would be a strong contender for the technical categories...but even those have been lacking throughout the series. Would love to finally see a win for something. As you said art direction...or cinematography, visual effects, etc

Anyways, I think that's probably enough talk about it. Let's wait and see if DH (or at least Part 1 for now) is really as fantastic as I think it could be before we harbor any real hope of awards. If Part 1 really WOWS critics then perhaps we can start talking about it seriously.

Quote:

I agree, The Ghost Writer has little chance of any "major" Oscar nominations - not because of Polanski's name or scandal, though (the man did win Best Director for The pianist in 2003), but because of the kind of movie it is, this conspiracy-thriller potboiler; it's just not in the Academy's wheelhouse.
True, but wasn't the scandal made known in just the last year or so? People don't look too favorably on his name now far as I can tell. Hell, I know some who won't even watch his movies because of it. I think that Sasha is right, it is a factor...or would be if his movie was a really strong contender anyways. And since it's probably not, I suppose it's a moot point. Never know though, Academy seems to love him. Due to his history with the Oscars, he could sneak in there, like Scorcese may. But Scorcese probably has the one up as his name isn't tarnished...

Last edited by lcbaseball22; September 21st, 2010 at 12:52 am.
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:59 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
True, but wasn't the scandal made known in just the last year or so? People don't look too favorably on his name now far as I can tell. Hell, I know some who won't even watch his movies because of it. I think Sasha is right, it is a factor...or would be if his movie was a really strong contender anyways. And since it's probably not, I suppose it's a moot point. Never know though, Academy seems to love him. He could sneak in, like Scorcese might. But Scorcese probably has the one up as his name isn't tarnished...
The crime Polanski committed in 1977 has been known ever since, certainly in the industry, it's just that his arrest or apprehension in Switzerland last year increased the awareness in general. I know there are people who refuse to see a Polanski film, but Polanski the filmmaker is what the AMPAS is concerned with, and ultimately, yes, it's pretty much a moot point this time anyway.

Old September 21st, 2010, 9:34 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
Of all the films I've seen this year, the only ones I think deserve awards would be Inception (actor leading, director, score, screenplay original, cinematography), Shutter Island (actor leading, cinematography), and Eclipse (cinematography).
I agree that Shutter Island deserves cinematography and leading actor noms, as well as nods for best direction and score. It's the only film I have seen so far this year that I can see as a contender for Best Motion Picture.

Other films I've seen and think have a shot at awards include How to Train Your Dragon (best animated feature), The Ghost Writer (score), Salt (sound editing/mixing), Alice in Wonderland (art direction/costume design), The Book of Eli (cinematography), Kick-*** (sound mixing/best adapted screenplay??--I'm not familiar with the comic, but the adaptation was a fresh take on the superhero formula).

Quote:
Alice in Wonderland has a great chance at Visual Effects and Art Direction nods, and I think that's it.
I found the art direction imaginative, but the visual effects stood out too much for my taste and looked too computer-generated if you ask me.

Last edited by Noldus; September 21st, 2010 at 9:55 pm.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 5:28 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
It's kind of hard to say. I mean, it's true that it's going to be harder to acknowledge Deathly Hallows when we're seeing it released in two parts, but then, The Return of the King did not truly win its 11 Oscars just for that individual piece of the puzzle, it was in large part honoring the trilogy as a whole.
But LotR was a a different beast to the HP series. LotR had the same core creatives in direction and writing and the films were of a comparable standard. HP has had a series of writers and directors and the quality had varied from very good to pretty ordinary.

Quote:
True, but wasn't the scandal made known in just the last year or so? People don't look too favorably on his name now far as I can tell.
Quote:
The crime Polanski committed in 1977 has been known ever since, certainly in the industry, it's just that his arrest or apprehension in Switzerland last year increased the awareness in general. I know there are people who refuse to see a Polanski film, but Polanski the filmmaker is what the AMPAS is concerned with, and ultimately, yes, it's pretty much a moot point this time anyway.
The scandal didn't stop Polanski picking up best director and nomination for best picture for The Pianist as well as a slew of other awards including best picture and driector at the BAFTAs and Palm d'Or at Cannes.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old September 22nd, 2010, 1:17 pm
Second Year

Of course Alice in Wonderland won't get actor nominations - it was critically trashed and I'm fairly sure there wasn't any big deal made about the performances. It does have a bit of a shot at many of the technicals though - visual effects, art direction, make up, costume design, score. Most likely nomination I'd say is costume design.

And obviously DH1 won't come close to winning, unless there's some magical increase in perceived quality, which won't happen. Nominated? Doubt it, but I guess we can hope.

The Social Network has been getting ridiculous raves. Only a few reviews have come in, but I've never seen anything like it before - the four reviews on Metacritic are all perfect scores, and the blurbs of the six reviews on RT have comparisons to The Godfather, The Graduate and Citizen Kane, among others.

Old September 25th, 2010, 3:05 pm
Secret Keeper

So after reading some more articles on "the state of the race" it seems that competition might actually be extremely fierce...particulary in the Best Director category. Insiders say that not only are many of the finest directors around all putting out films this year but also that many of these films look like the best work of their careers. If word from the film festivals is any indication very few remaining contenders will sink, though some are still unseen... (ie True Grit)

Here's just some of the names potentially vying for Best Director this year...

Christopher Nolan
David Fincher
Clint Eastwood
Edward Zwick
Mike Leigh
Danny Boyle
Darren Aronfosky
The Coens

Of course you've got Scorcese and Polanksi as well...but they didn't bring their best stuff to the table this year.
At least not according to the critics. Personally I thought Ghost Writer was really good (though not as great as Chinatown) and that Shutter Island is at least one of Scorcese's best, but I digress...

BTW, the Oscar pundits are already saying Best Picture is really down to The Social Network vs. The King's Speech, but I wonder how accurate this will be. How early was it apparent last year that it was The Hurt Locker vs. Avatar?

Furthermore, how often are these early proclamations correct? It's just based on the festivals at the moment, isn't it?

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 6th, 2010 at 1:08 am.
Old September 25th, 2010, 4:52 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

It's best to wait until closer to the deadline which is when the studios bring out the movies they think are the best contenders.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old September 25th, 2010, 7:50 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnyBinny View Post

The Social Network has been getting ridiculous raves. Only a few reviews have come in, but I've never seen anything like it before - the four reviews on Metacritic are all perfect scores, and the blurbs of the six reviews on RT have comparisons to The Godfather, The Graduate and Citizen Kane, among others.
However, might we expect a backlash like occured with Inception after many of the early reviews were declaring it a masterpiece? (a declaration with which I agree btw, though I still believe Memento is Nolan's finest work to date)

EDIT: As I was saying...is a backlash on the horizon? Check out this article- http://www.awardsdaily.com/2010/09/o...cial-networks/

Quote:
Nothing can kill a film faster than a premature ejaculation of adulation.

You know, when talking awards I'm not sure comparisons to Kane are a good thing in the first place...afterall it only won a single Oscar.

P.S. I should probably see Citizen Kane again...I don't think that I was able to fully appreciate it. I was a bit sleepy when I watched it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
It's best to wait until closer to the deadline which is when the studios bring out the movies they think are the best contenders.
Yeah, it does seem quite early...there's still 3 months to go. I suppose it's cause almost all of the supposed contenders have been seen during the festivals. Apparently Colin Firth has the Best Actor win all but in the bag.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; September 26th, 2010 at 5:18 am.
Old September 28th, 2010, 8:44 am
Secret Keeper

Uh oh, I was hoping this would be Pfister's year finally, but it looks he might have just lost the award for Cinematography to (an even more overdue) challenger. Take a look- http://www.awardsdaily.com/2010/09/r...this-the-year/ Deakins = 8 noms with no wins, Pfister only 3.

Of course we mustn't forget about DH...Serra's work looks impressive too, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing HP win something for once.

In addition to Best Pic, Director, and Actress...Cinematography could be another fierce category. These are my nomination predictions

Wally Pfister- Inception
Roger Deakins- True Grit
Eduardo Serra- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
Bob Richardson- Shutter Island

I don't know who'll take the 5th spot, though. I would have said Tree of Life (which probably would've been the favorite to win actually), but that's out now since they didn't get a release this year. Perhaps the DP for 127 Hours? The cinematography in the trailer looks neat at least.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; September 28th, 2010 at 9:33 am.
Old October 6th, 2010, 1:07 am
Secret Keeper

Whoa, looks like one of the heavy hitters (thought delayed) is back in the game! http://www.awardsdaily.com/2010/10/p...ed-oscar-race/

I'm thinking we can probably pencil in for Best Pic, Best Director (Peter Weir is ridiculously overdue too, hmm) and Supporting Actor at least

Old October 8th, 2010, 9:55 pm
Secret Keeper

Well, here's another surprise...

Blue Valentine was slapped with an NC-17. I guess that pretty much destroys its award chances, right? Talk beforehand was both leads might be nominated...and even that it may contend for Best Picture and others if the Academy wasn't turned off by its depressing nature.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 8th, 2010 at 10:07 pm.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:27 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Every collaboration between DiCaprio and Scorsese has resulted in a Best Picture nomination. Shutter Island was released early this year, having skipped last year’s race. Much of the heat was taken off it and many have decided to count it out completely.

But one has to wonder if there might not be a place for it after all.
Absolutely

What I think is cool is that this year is actually starting to shape up as one that needs 10 Best Pic nominations, unlike last year which had 5 "fillers". As such Scorcese/DiCaprio might be left behind for once, but you gotta wonder. Something else that's amazing about this years Oscar race is even with both this and Inception DiCaprio might be overlooked. Seems like he's "on the bubble" for one of those 2 performances and some are saying they might split his votes essentially cancelling out the chances for either. I dunno, we'll have to wait and see...he was able to pull it off in '07

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 22nd, 2010 at 10:38 am.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:30 am
Representative Homosexual

lol, dude, it looks like you are the only one who cares about the Oscars at the moment.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives