Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

UK Politics v2.

View Poll Results: Which party will get your vote?
Conservatives 4 23.53%
Labour 4 23.53%
Liberal Democrats 9 52.94%
Green Party 0 0%
UKIP 0 0%
Regional (Scottish, N. Ire, Welsh Parties) 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 19th, 2010, 9:05 am
Winning Teamster

Re: United Kingdom Election 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Now a LD led hung Parliament would be one to see. And interesting to see what the other parties would trade in order to be the coalition partner.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much impossible...

Playing arund with the BBC vote/seat calculator, the 'best case' scenario for the LibDems to win a majority of seats is at 36% - and that would happen only if Labour takes voted off the Conservatives at the same time. With LibDems taking voteds off Labour, it's a lot closer to 40%.

It's not scientific, but it's an interesting tool to think about odd scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundungus Fletc View Post
Of course - divided into lots of little bits and hidden all over the place.

So that's what the British Museum is for...

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2010, 9:41 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
Unfortunately, that's pretty much impossible...

Playing arund with the BBC vote/seat calculator, the 'best case' scenario for the LibDems to win a majority of seats is at 36% - and that would happen only if Labour takes voted off the Conservatives at the same time. With LibDems taking voteds off Labour, it's a lot closer to 40%.

It's not scientific, but it's an interesting tool to think about odd scenarios.
You're no fun. Hoping for a LD, MRLP and BNP coalition if only for the joimt party room sittings.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:40 am
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Interesting (I thought) article showing that there is no link between a high number of immigrants in an area and a high degree of BNP support.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...el-bnp-support

Last edited by Melaszka; April 19th, 2010 at 11:45 am.
Old April 19th, 2010, 3:01 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
You are aware that every member of the nuclear club has provided arms and training to similar terrorist groups?
Very aware i.e. CIA support and training in Afghanistan given to the mujahideen during the soviet invasion. Al Qaeda formed during that era. Difference here is that Iran would most likely use terrorist groups to launch revenge attacks against US targets (indescriminate attacks at that), should the US finally decide to attack Iran's Nuclear infrastructure. I don't think that's likely however, given President Obama's latest moves towards Iran and the whole Nuclear issue. I do think we need to have an open and honest debate in the UK about our nuclear deterrent. It should be an election issue, but it's just a side show given the state of the Economy.

Quote:
Now a LD led hung Parliament would be one to see. And interesting to see what the other parties would trade in order to be the coalition partner.
It would be pure comedy gold. Though i don't think it's likely to happen, unless the LD break into the strongholds of Labour and the Tories.
I'm pretty sure the Tories wouldn't budge on certain issues and sit on the oppossition benches crying over their potentional woeful performance in the election (really the Tories should have buried Labour months ago).
Labour is more likely to trade with the Lib Dems.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath

Last edited by Kevin; April 19th, 2010 at 3:03 pm.
Old April 19th, 2010, 3:43 pm
Winning Teamster

So, what do people think of Brown's activitis to conjure up the spirit of Dunkirk?

If one were cynical, one might say for him the ash cloud is the perfect opportunity: it's not a tragic catastrophe, but it's a big event which allows him to use the PM's advantage: he is the one with the power to do something!

On a different note, I have just written letters to both cadidates who are in with a chance in my constituency (my Labour MP is retiring, so it's now a LibDem target seat with an outside chance).

I am annoyed that universities are simply not featuring in the debate. Frankly, Labour seems to be doing its best at the moment to wreck a system which was pretty good - academics and academia are on breaking point and no, this isn't exaggerated whining. I'd say at least half of the members of my department were in need of councelling at some stage during the last two years, and that is purely due to the kind of management practices introduced on government prompting. And that's not a bunch of people who is shy to work hard - things have just becaome impossible!

You'd think that with the university sector crucial for the economy (present and future), with a target of 50% of young people going to university, the subject would be a hot topic? Apparently not.

Something very bad is happening with a sector which has been serving the UK very well for a long time, and people just can't be bothered. GRRRR.

I am curious what the two candidates will say (or if they respond at all). After all, there are TWO universities in my constituency, so they ought to be bothered about this.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic

Last edited by Klio; April 19th, 2010 at 3:48 pm.
Old April 19th, 2010, 4:21 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
So, what do people think of Brown's activitis to conjure up the spirit of Dunkirk?

If one were cynical, one might say for him the ash cloud is the perfect opportunity: it's not a tragic catastrophe, but it's a big event which allows him to use the PM's advantage: he is the one with the power to do something!
No cynicism needed. It is a godsend (literally as far as the insurance companies are concerned).

He is doubly blessed because, as far as I know, neither Clegg or Cameron suggested sending in the RN so it is Brown's initiative and thousands of voters are repatriated in time for the election.

Plus the others can hardly kvetch about rescuing stranded Brits.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old April 19th, 2010, 5:43 pm
TheWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
You are aware that Iran has provided weapons and training to the likes of Hezbollah ? Iran with a nuclear weapon will change the balance of power in the region (regardless of Israel's nuclear weapons), as it will probably spark an arms race in the Middle East.
Iran could attack the UK using the methods you've stated above. Basically Iran should not be discounted out of hand so easily.
This sounds like a talking point straight from BICOM... Iranian regime is evil, but it is not suicidal.

Lets forget that Israel has nuclear weapons and it already IS sparking an arms race in the region while threatening our national security interests by refusing to reach a settlement with the Palestinians.

And lets not forget that we have unbanned negotiations with Hezbollah much to Israel's disappointment.

Of course, BICOM is banking on a Tory win so you could well see the government backtracking on policies based on realism.

~ http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov

Old April 19th, 2010, 7:35 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
This sounds like a talking point straight from BICOM... Iranian regime is evil, but it is not suicidal.
I don't believe Iran is sucidal, but international disputes can quickly esclate out of control. I would rather no nations had Nuclear Weapons, but the pandora's box has been opened and can't be shut. I think the main point i would make about Iran is that it's probably wrong to assume or presume what Iran would or wouldn't do. I do think we should however plan accordingly for a range of outcomes.

Quote:
Lets forget that Israel has nuclear weapons and it already IS sparking an arms race in the region while threatening our national security interests by refusing to reach a settlement with the Palestinians.
Iran would probably still develop nuclear weapons even if Israel had none. They want to dominate the region and stick their collective fingers up at the US (which by and large is Iran's biggest enemy). There is as yet not a full blown arms race in the Middle East. That will happen once Saudi Arabia and the other Oil rich Arab states react to a Nuclear Iran by pursuing Nuclear weapons of their own.

It's in our national security interests to see a two state solution occur. You can pontificate about Israel refusing to reach settlement with the Palestinians all you like. The fact remains the Palestinians are just as bad at refusing to do deals with Israel as Israel is with the Palestinians. The biggest example of that would be Arafat refusing to honour his commitments under the accords he signed with Rabin. Which would have given the Palestinians a state. Instead he kicked off the latest round of violence. Israel contiuning to build settlements on the disputed areas of land is also not helpful for the peace process (if you can call it that at the moment) or it's continued over use of force.
The Palestinians require better leadership, not leaders that are focused on the destruction of the Israeli state and nothing else.

Quote:
And lets not forget that we have unbanned negotiations with Hezbollah much to Israel's disappointment.
I don't think you should ever rule in or rule out negotiations with any group that could help in a peace process. However I doubt Hezbollah would ever reach a meaningful settlement with Israel. There is too much hatred on both sides for that to happen. The best thing we can do is to not take the side of the Israeli's or Palestinians, we need to force both sides to work out their issues between themselves.

Quote:
Of course, BICOM is banking on a Tory win so you could well see the government backtracking on policies based on realism.
They can bank on it all they like, we are heading towards a hung parliament so support for Israel will be fragmented. Which is probably a good thing.

I think we should have a neutral policy stance on the Israel vs Palestinian issues. Both sides need to have equal status, and no favouritism should be shown to either side. Though even if the Israeli/Palestinian problem was solved tomorrow, i very much doubt that it would have much impact on the hardcore elements of those who subscribe to Osama Bin Laden's view of the West and his distorted take on Islam. As they would move onto other issues i.e. US presence in Saudi Arabia aka Infidels on holy Islamic land etc They are a bigger threat to our national security than Israel will ever be.

I'm hoping Clegg will spark a bigger debate about our role in the world today and that it will lead to us finally realising we are not the world power we once were.

Latest Guardian Poll has The Liberal Democrats gaining 10, Tories losing 4 and Labour losing 3 i.e.
Conservative 33
Liberal Democrats 30
Labour 28
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...rdian-icm-poll

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old April 21st, 2010, 4:32 pm

More Cameron election poster spoofs (made me laugh, anyway):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/b...rvative-poster

Old April 21st, 2010, 7:58 pm
Winning Teamster

LOL... but the original poster is pretty scary.

I have to say, this election is actually getting very gripping to follow. I'd never have thought that.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
Old April 21st, 2010, 8:27 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Theres a very good site called "Who has David Cameron been talking to today", but some of the language is of a fruity nature and some of it is quite offensive. So i won't post the link here. It's non PC so it made me laugh...

Is it me or is everything David Cameron saying starting to sound like white noise. I hear a lot of words like "change. New Government. Jobs Tax. Change" etc but nothing that makes a lot of sense. Just me then.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old April 22nd, 2010, 6:16 pm
Fifth Year

Anybody fancy some election ice cream? http://www.benjerry.co.uk/

Old April 22nd, 2010, 7:26 pm
Winning Teamster

Ohhh... that's fun!

I look forward to the debate tonight, because foreign policy (which includes climare change, apparently) is something I find particularly important, and it's not been high o the candidates' agenda lately.

I am also worried about the recent development in the press. It's OK to do investigative journalism, but what the right-wing press is doing with Clegg is a little OTT, I think. Murdoch desperation?

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
Old April 22nd, 2010, 7:45 pm

Quote:
I am also worried about the recent development in the press. It's OK to do investigative journalism, but what the right-wing press is doing with Clegg is a little OTT, I think. Murdoch desperation?
Yes. He may have a case to answer over the money coming into his bank account, but the timing makes it clear that this is politically motivated.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:19 pm
TheWizard

Quote:
If you are worried about the recent trends, well, you havent seen anything yet. Wait till the conservatives take over and get ofcom to relax rules further.

Point is, people like Murdoch are seeing their powers threatened by a LibDem surge. And that's a very good thing.

The great stephenfry says it best:
Quote:
Frankly I'm tempted to vote Lib Dem now. If we let the Telegraph and Mail win, well, freedom and Britain die. about 3 hours ago via Tweetie

Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:47 pm
Winning Teamster

Quote:
If you are worried about the recent trends, well, you havent seen anything yet. Wait till the conservatives take over and get ofcom to relax rules further.

Oh no - are they even considering that? Well, I guess we know that the BBC won't be safe with them (with Murdoch having their ear and all).

In my view it's clear what the likes of Fox news have done to the political climate in the US. I think that we cannot let that happen here. I would be willing to take action (such as demonstrations) to prevent that sort of development. We can't let the media abandon all responsibility as it happened in the US (IMHO) - it's bad enough that the banks were allowd to do so, but with the media it's probably even worse. I find it hard to pick what's worse - but IMHO, allowing any sector to ignore its responsibilities is awful (and very 1990s/2000s).

Can you imagine the kind of hate-mongering some media people are doing in the US also starting to be broadcast in the UK? Yikes!

Quote:
Point is, people like Murdoch are seeing their powers threatened by a LibDem surge. And that's a very good thing.
Oh yes! I agree with you.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:01 pm

What did people think of tonight's debate?

I thought Cameron put his viewpoints across quite clearly and forcefully, but it only served to remind me why hell will freeze over before I vote for him (Eurosceptic, pro "family values", castigating poor people as "people who haven't bothered to do the right thing").

Brown was workmanlike - thankfully tried fewer gags than last week (although the line about Clegg and Cameron reminding him of "my two boys" was uber embarrassing) and I thought he did a reasonable job of reminding us that he's the one with the experience/proven track record, but he doesn't really make it sing.

Clegg was OK.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:21 pm
Winning Teamster

Yes, I think they had all got used to it - and yes, they were extremely well rehearsed, looking into the camera, addressing the people with the questions by name, addressing each other and so forth.

I felt it was a bit embarrassing that Clegg told today's Independent that he hadn't had time to practice and prepare, but used a few phrases exactly word by word twice, once today and once in yesterday's Radio 4 phone in (example: 'it took the EU 15 years to define what chocolate is - that's not democratic efficiency').

I agree - Brows was better and they gave him a few good lines. he doesn't look right when he is using rehearsed lines - but he did manage to sound competent, although I was very uncomfortable with his joke, and quite unhappy with some of his attack lines. stuff along the lines of 'I am PM - I know what's it like' worked well.

Cameron - well done, but he comes across as SO smarmy!
really, this poster came to mind more than once! He does a very good impression of a pleading cat now and then....

Clegg still appears as closest to being a member of the human race, which also counts for something.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:21 pm
TheWizard

I liked Brown better today than the previous debate but overall I think Nick was the more realistic/sensible of the lot. Cameron, well, lets just say he gives me this negative vibe every time he opens his mouth.

And I dont get how these opinion polls work but I'm worried that we are relying on them too much these days.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:29 pm
Winning Teamster

Honestly, I don't think they work very well. In the US, with Presidntial elections, it's complicated, but with such large numbers of polls everywhere, and sites like 538 to collate them, they can come to pretty good predictions. Not perfect, but pretty good.

In the UK, the situation is a LOT more complicated. I am still suspicious that we'll wake up on 7th May and the Conservatives suddenly have 40%. ARGH!!! But then, we might wake up and see the LibDems have a big share of the vote 9which won't translate into all that many seats, of course

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives