Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Dancing With the Stars Season 10

Old April 14th, 2010, 9:43 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Re: Dancing With the Stars Season 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Thanks

At least we have great instructors. It's a husband and wife couple and they learned from the best...Buddy Schwimmer was their instructor. Yeah, I feel very privileged to be learning dance from them.

Speaking of Schwimmer, I just looked it up on Wiki and it appears that West Coast Swing was done in Season 7 and not again since. Now the scores weren't very good so I guess that's not too surprising....but what I do find interesting is the pro of the lowest scoring couple on that dance was none other then Lacey Schwimmer...Buddy's daughter and a West Coast World Champion. But then again that is def a dance that could look sloppy without a strong lead and the highest scoring couple only scored one pt higher so I guess it wasn't too unsual And she's used to performing with her bro Benji or some other skilled lead...not Lance Bass On that note, anyone think it's unfair how they score men against women? I mean the male stars have it a lot tougher trying to learn leads and an experienced follow can only get you so far...though I think Julianne could make even Buzz Aldrin look good God that was hilarious Gotta give him props for trying though

Anyways, don't get me wrong...I'm sure it's not easy learning to follow either, but it's certainly less involved then leading. So for scoring I think they should only have men competing against the men and the women competing against the women...that would be more fair.

You know, it's funny...our instructor always says he doesn't understand why men lead and women follow. Since women are more adept at multi-tasking he believes it would be more natural for women to lead. Makes sense...as a guy it's hard for us to have to remember our footwork, remember the lead, think about what we want to do next, etc. However, at least with routines, you KNOW exactly what you need to do in what order rather then trying to make it up like is done in a social dance setting. That makes it slightly easier on the male brain
You're welcome LC . It's good that you guys have good teachers... since dancing (of any style) is generally hard to learn ( especially if you have two left feet -- like myself ) I really respect those who can learn how to dance... all those hours upon hours learning the steps and then practicing them. Wow is all I can say there.

Ah... guess they decided to give another go of it then . For the ratings and the lols this time... No harm there, just as long as no one gets hurt.

I second that. Considering that ladies (for the most part -- depending on the dance style) have to learn everything backwards and in heels (not when practicing the steps, mainly when performing)<-- the remark came from something Ginger Rodgers said about dancing with Fred Astaire.

As for the guys, I agree (especially if they don't have previous experience). They have a challenging role to learn how to play, dancing wise... so I certainly don't envy them there.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2010, 1:45 pm
Sixth Year

I have to agree with Fawkesfan, Pamela is one of the better dancers this season. Her technique isn't as good as Evan's or Nicole's but she puts her heart and soul into the dances and that's what makes her entertaining to watch. I don't think she's that attractive anymore either, but she is definitely a good dancer.

And Chelsie Hightower wasn't Julianne's official replacement. They were on season 8 together. Julianne hadn't left when Chelsie started the show. Although Chelsie does seem to have stepped into Julianne's role. She does a lot of the pro dances on result shows.

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old April 15th, 2010, 4:04 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post

I second that. Considering that ladies (for the most part -- depending on the dance style) have to learn everything backwards and in heels (not when practicing the steps, mainly when performing)<-- the remark came from something Ginger Rodgers said about dancing with Fred Astaire.
Hmm, I imagine that would be hard in heels But yeah, most of the time the lady just mirrors what the man does and other then needing to know the basic footwork she really has no choice but to go where I lead her. Far as I can tell she doesn't have to think too much about what's happening with the arms and all...just the feet. Which like noted before should really be our role since guys are 1 track minded

I may be wrong but I believe a really good lead could lead a lady who's never danced before fairly well....whereas it doesn't work too well the other way around. Even the most experienced women would be feeling lost without a good lead. Note that I don't mean to insult women or anything like that. I'm simply stating that when it comes to dance, due to the nature of what it means to lead and to follow I don't believe women have as tough of a job as men and I'm pretty sure this sentiment would be echoed by my instructors. But I'd gladly swap roles

The thing that always amazes me with girls though is how they can turn and turn and turn and never get dizzy. I do one one turn myself and the room starts spinning Yeah, I know about spotting...but I haven't got that down too well yet I suppose most girls have practice that with ballet and stuff growing up...

So I'm confused...you agree with me that the scores for the male stars and the ones of the female stars should NOT be compared?

I suppose the judges are still looking at the dance as a whole, but they should be scoring the leading and following abilities of the stars indepedently and only as compared to other leads or follows, respectively. It's just not fair to say a perfect 30 dance where the star had to lead is equal to a perfect 30 where the star had the following role. The very definition of those words should make that common sense...

Sorry, I'm babbling...you probably all got what I way trying to say long ago. Alright, I'll shut up now
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post
I have to agree with Fawkesfan, Pamela is one of the better dancers this season. Her technique isn't as good as Evan's or Nicole's but she puts her heart and soul into the dances and that's what makes her entertaining to watch. I don't think she's that attractive anymore either, but she is definitely a good dancer.

And Chelsie Hightower wasn't Julianne's official replacement. They were on season 8 together. Julianne hadn't left when Chelsie started the show. Although Chelsie does seem to have stepped into Julianne's role. She does a lot of the pro dances on result shows.
Ah, ok. Hmm, I'm gonna have to make sure and watch the next couple now. Her first dance I saw was very entertaining

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; April 16th, 2010 at 3:02 am.
Old April 21st, 2010, 8:32 pm

Kate finally got booted off . I was thrilled to hear about it. No offense to any fans of hers. She just wasn't that good of a dancer.

I'm now rather curious to see where this competition will go next.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old April 21st, 2010, 9:52 pm
Registered Animagus

Now that Kate's gone, I might watch the performance show. The results shows have actually been really enjoyable.

Lacey choreo'd the Maxwell routine.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 5:02 pm
Third Year

Yay! I'm so glad that Kate is gone. The only sadness I feel is for Tony

Now with Kate gone, all the people who keep getting in the middle are going to have to step it us to avoid elimination. I think Jake is getting better and better, and his scores this week proved it. Wasn't he third in points? Keep it up!

Chamber of Secrets
Always

Avatar by samelthecamel, found here
Old April 22nd, 2010, 5:11 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_a_human View Post
Yay! I'm so glad that Kate is gone. The only sadness I feel is for Tony

Now with Kate gone, all the people who keep getting in the middle are going to have to step it us to avoid elimination. I think Jake is getting better and better, and his scores this week proved it. Wasn't he third in points? Keep it up!
Chelsie says Jake has really improved and is picking up the dances faster.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Curse Breaker

I'm thinking Niecey might be the next out--at least I hope so because although there's a huge gulf between the top two (Nicole and Evan) and the rest of the field, Pamela is consistently entertaining and she puts both effort and soul into her performances.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:55 pm
Second Year

Sooo glad to see Kate gone. It was painful to watch her.

With her gone, I won't feel bad for whoever gets booted off next. I hate popularity contests and people getting to stay when they very clearly do not deserve it. I do think Evan and Nicole are front runners, but the others aren't terribly far behind.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 2:02 pm
Fifth Year

To me, Evan and Nicole might as well be the only stars in the competition this season. I also see a huge gulf between the top two and the rest of the field.

I actually found myself hoping it would be Niecey going home this week. Not that I liked Kate or voted for her (I didn't). But I did think she showed some improvement this week over previous weeks. I'm talking more about her attitude and her facial expression than her actual dance technique, though. Her face in weeks one through three looked cold and dead and "I hate every minute of my life" which didn't translate well to an enjoyable dance. I can see why she feels that way, but it made her segment of every show painful to watch. But, on the 19th, I saw a glimmer of "this is kind of fun" and "maybe I can do this" on her face. So I feel there may have been a slim chance of her showing some improvement.

I didn't actually see the results show on the 20th; who else was in the bottom two? It's easy to find out who got kicked off, but I haven't had time to dig deeper and find out anything else.

RE: Chelsie & Julianne. Not the replacement; they both danced in, I think, two seasons? Maybe it was just one, but I thought two. But if anyone is Julianne's "official" replacement, that would have to be Anna. And I can't resent Anna for it. I like her dancing, and I really like the star she's paired with this year. I think Anna and Evan will make it to the finals easily, and if she can teach him the difference between footwork in skating and footwork in dancing, they might even get the mirrorball.

I was a bit annoyed with Chelsie on Monday night, though she's usually one of my favorites. It seemed to me like she was doing all the dancing, and she really outshone the Bachelor (name? can't recall...). That's exactly what I was criticizing Edyta for in weeks one and two, and it's one of my pet peeves in this show. It pretty much guarantees that a couple will not get any votes from me if the pro dances obviously ten times better than the star, instead of playing to the star's strengths and showing off whatever the star has learned so far.

"You don't ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It doesn't matter whether someone is a relative, romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance--You don't have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It's one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and *continues* to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go."
~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~
Old April 23rd, 2010, 2:19 pm
Secret Keeper

Hmm, so nobody wants to say whether they agree with me or not?

Is is unfair the male and female stars are judged on the same level? Shouldn't the men just be competing against the men and vice versa?

Old April 23rd, 2010, 3:11 pm
Sixth Year

^^I have actually thought about that too IC. I'm not a dancer so I don't know how different it is, but I've always wondered how fair that is. Perhaps being a lead is more challenging than being a follower. But on the other hand, I remember Len pointing out a few seasons back how hard it is for the women because the eye is naturally drawn to them in the dance. With the male stars, our eye is naturally drawn to a professional woman. With the female stars, our eye is naturally drawn to them and that comparison can be harsh.

I'm also ecstatic that Kate is finally gone! If she had stayed then it would've meant someone more talented than her went home. Chad and Niecy are definitely behind the others, but Kate was so far behind them it wasn't funny.

I can't believe Pam was in the bottom two again! She's so entertaining to watch! Why aren't people keeping her safe for now?

I'd say tentatively that the semi-finals will be Nicole, Evan, Jake, and Pam but Pam keeps ending up in the bottom two.

Let it get me down
So I will try not to cry
Farewell CosForums
Old April 23rd, 2010, 4:19 pm
Curse Breaker

The judging might be skewed in favor of the male dancers, but generally speaking the voting can be skewed in favor of the female pros (because they can be very eye-catching with a lot of great moves that don't require the more stolid partners to do much--and they can use costumes to distract from everything else--see, Edyta's entire wardrobe since she's been on this show).

Pam was in the bottom 2 again last week--wasn't she? Yeah, because I was about five seconds from being absolutely apoplectic about the results.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 9:06 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
The judging might be skewed in favor of the male dancers, but generally speaking the voting can be skewed in favor of the female pros (because they can be very eye-catching with a lot of great moves that don't require the more stolid partners to do much--and they can use costumes to distract from everything else--see, Edyta's entire wardrobe since she's been on this show).
Skewed toward the male dancers? Hmm, I was thinking the opposite since leading is more difficult...I'd expect lower scores for the couple with a male star. However, I looked it up and a male star has won 5 times compared to 4 for the female stars...so perhaps you're right.

Actually, a good point you made about eye-catching moves cause really sometimes they do very little "partner dancing" The pro will just do her own thing...stuff that doesn't require any lead. Also, 2 of the judges are male so they'd be more drawn to her...but isn't Bruno gay?

Old April 28th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Third Year

Aww man! I'm really bummed about Jake going home He always looked like he was having fun, and I really think he was trying his hardest.
Of course now that Kate's gone, it's just going to be people I generally like. I don't like Pam Anderson, but she is surprisingly good. Except I think she has faltered for the last couple of weeks - they weren't her best dances IMO.
I'm also sad to see Evan in 5th place, but I kind of have to agree with the judges this time. It was pretty to watch, but some of his moves did remind me of ballet, then one of the judges mentioned ballet too. Hopefully this just wasn't his dance.
Sadly, I think Niecy should go home next week. I love her personality, but she's just not as good as everyone else.

Chamber of Secrets
Always

Avatar by samelthecamel, found here
Old April 28th, 2010, 9:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_a_human View Post
Aww man! I'm really bummed about Jake going home He always looked like he was having fun, and I really think he was trying his hardest.
Of course now that Kate's gone, it's just going to be people I generally like. I don't like Pam Anderson, but she is surprisingly good. Except I think she has faltered for the last couple of weeks - they weren't her best dances IMO.
I'm also sad to see Evan in 5th place, but I kind of have to agree with the judges this time. It was pretty to watch, but some of his moves did remind me of ballet, then one of the judges mentioned ballet too. Hopefully this just wasn't his dance.
Sadly, I think Niecy should go home next week. I love her personality, but she's just not as good as everyone else.
Yea I noticed that. Maybe she'll get back on track... who knows there...

Me too. Bummer he got sent home, he seemed to put a lot of heart and soul into his dancing.

Old April 28th, 2010, 11:09 pm
Curse Breaker

I missed the actual call because I was watching the first interesting AI episode in quite awhile. I agree that Niecey should go home this week.

Old April 29th, 2010, 12:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
I missed the actual call because I was watching the first interesting AI episode in quite awhile. I agree that Niecey should go home this week.
Isn't she that one african american dancer? I haven't kept up enough to know who's who . If she is, I agree -- she has to go. She's not a good dancer.

Old April 29th, 2010, 12:22 pm
Sixth Year

I'm bummed that Jake went home also. This week he didn't dance particularly well but he's much better than Niecy I think. Her dances just don't do it for me. I enjoyed her foxtrot a couple of weeks ago but I haven't really enjoyed anything she's done since then. Jake, on the other hand, has been entertaining to watch since week 1. He might not be a great dancer but he put so much into it.

Niecy should definitely be next. After that, I'm not sure who should go. I hope Evan and Anna get back on track next week. I was so sad to see them towards the bottom.

Let it get me down
So I will try not to cry
Farewell CosForums
Old April 29th, 2010, 2:47 pm
Curse Breaker

The accumulated obstacles were sure to tell on Evan sometime. I think his gold medal has him a solid fanbase, but if starts just not being able to perform, it would be better that he leaves earlier than it looked like he should have than if he ends up stumbling and wincing through the finale.

I'm hoping Niecy and Chad get knocked out soon. I love Cheryl, but a lot of Chad's bravado rubs me the wrong way.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives