Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Dancing With the Stars Season 10

Old March 31st, 2010, 2:19 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: Dancing With the Stars Season 10

I've been around since Season 1 and I didn't know that. Okay, folks who voted for Kate Gosselin, if any of you are on this board--explain yourselves. She's making life terrible on her pro, she hasn't won other goodwill, why did she escape the Bottom 2 after two really awful performances and a divisive attitude?

No worries. No spoilers here.
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2010, 3:47 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyraLovegood View Post
Cool. I miss Lacey a little and Dmitry a lot!

And I was surprised by a couple comments by Derek & Nicole: they don't choose the music, either. I hadn't been aware of that. I'd been complaining about the pros choosing bad music, but what they're doing is choreo to whatever the producers throw at them? Who knew? Is this old information, and only people who started watching late in the game (like, in Season 7) were clueless?
I found that out last year from one of Chelsie's tweets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
I've been around since Season 1 and I didn't know that. Okay, folks who voted for Kate Gosselin, if any of you are on this board--explain yourselves. She's making life terrible on her pro, she hasn't won other goodwill, why did she escape the Bottom 2 after two really awful performances and a divisive attitude?
The woman absolutely can't dance. She's got two lead feet. I didn't watch again last night except for Evan's quickstep, which I thought was really good.

Maybe if Kate gets kicked off, as she so richly deserves, I'll start watching.

How did Derek and Nicole do?

Old April 7th, 2010, 3:54 am
Curse Breaker

They did really well, but there was a reverse lift (Derek jumped into Nicole's arms) and Len didn't think there was enough in-hold dancing. It was like watching a pretty good freestyle in the middle of the regular competition. Carrie and Bruno knocked them from 9s to 8s because of the "lift" and Len gave them a 6.

Buzz went home tonight, but once again, Kate wasn't even in the Bottom 2. Can someone explain this to me please?

Old April 7th, 2010, 5:53 pm
Third Year

Alright, I have seen every episode so far and here are my general impressions.

I'm not really surprised that Shannen went home first, I don't know who would be her fan and she seemed to have a poor attitude. Still, she shouldn't have been the first one off.
Bye bye Buzz! I'm sorry, but he had to go. I don't know what they were thinking when they invited him on the show, all he could do was shuffle around and walk a bit. I feel sorry for Ashley.
Jake's trying, and I appreciate it. He shouldn't have been in the bottom two and I may vote for him next week.
Aidan bores me a little. So does Erin, but at least with her I can just stare at Maxsim the whole time!
Pam's better than I thought she'd be, but I still want her gone soon.
Chad's trying too. And boy, does he like Cheryl!
I am not as thrilled with Nicole as Carrie Ann and Bruno seem to be. But I've always liked Derek.
Kate is clumsy and has no passion. She always either looks bored or in pain. I don't know who would be voting for her, but I guess people did watch "Jon and Kate Plus 8" so maybe it's the people who ended up on her side? I don't know, but I don't like it.
Ah, Niecy Nash. My mom's a "Clean House" fanatic and she's been growing on me the last couple of months. I think she's getting there. She's one of the ones I've been voting for.
Evan is the family favorite and getting most of the votes. I don't really remember the first two dances, except that they were nicely done. The last one (quickstep?) to Chicago was fun, and I'm glad they got the encore.

Chamber of Secrets
Always

Avatar by samelthecamel, found here
Old April 7th, 2010, 6:10 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_a_human View Post
Alright, I have seen every episode so far and here are my general impressions.

I'm not really surprised that Shannen went home first, I don't know who would be her fan and she seemed to have a poor attitude. Still, she shouldn't have been the first one off.
Shannen probably had fans from her 90210 and Charmed days, but except for some made for TV movies, I don't think she's been too visible. Also, it's well known that she's demanding and impossible to work with.

Quote:
Bye bye Buzz! I'm sorry, but he had to go. I don't know what they were thinking when they invited him on the show, all he could do was shuffle around and walk a bit. I feel sorry for Ashley.
Didn't Ashley have to dance with Mr. P. her last time around? Can they give the girl someone decent to dance with?

Quote:
Ah, Niecy Nash. My mom's a "Clean House" fanatic and she's been growing on me the last couple of months. I think she's getting there. She's one of the ones I've been voting for.
Ah, so that's who Niecy is. I thought I knew her from somewhere.

Quote:
Evan is the family favorite and getting most of the votes. I don't really remember the first two dances, except that they were nicely done. The last one (quickstep?) to Chicago was fun, and I'm glad they got the encore.
I thought Evan did very well with the quickstep. I think it's going to come down to him and Nicole. I'd love to see Anna T take home the mirror ball.

Old April 7th, 2010, 7:19 pm
Curse Breaker

It does look like a competition between the ice skater and the pop singer. I find it interesting that in a ratings batle between a middling crop of DWTS competitors and a middling crop of Idols, DWTS is making a small but noticeable ratings dent in Idol. Trouble on the horizon when Mr. Cowell leaves to helm his own show?

Old April 8th, 2010, 12:27 pm
Sixth Year

I definitely think it will come down to Evan and Nicole. As for who will be third, it seems like this season's stars are all very equal in the middle. Maybe Pamela Anderson? Or Erin?

Except Kate. She needs to go. How did she escape the bottom two??

I really enjoyed this week's episode though. I've watched it all. Evan's quickstep was really good. I enjoyed it and he's definitely connecting with Anna and the audience more, just like Len asked. There is something funky with his feet though.
Poor Buzz. He's adorable and all that, but he's 80 years old! He can't move the way he needs to. I almost feel like it's disrespectful to bring him in the show.
I'm shocked Jake was in the bottom two. I've been pleasantly surprised with him. He's clearly trying and enjoying himself. He's got the "dancing bug". I want to see him continue for awhile.
Pamela is also a shock. She is so much better than I expected. She might go far in this show if she ups her technique. I'm ok with that as long as she stops giving Damien that weird half-simpering, half-sexy expression everytime they're on camera.
Nicey is so graceful! I want to see her next Latin dance and see if she improves there.
Erin took a bold move with that blindfold. I'm not sure I would have the guts to dance blindfolded on TV. What a risk! I love the chemistry between her and Max. I think Max needs some more interesting choreo though. Erin's waltz felt very similar to her Foxtrot, but I guess the dances are fairly similar.
Nicole and Derek...I can't believe Len gave them a 6. He's such a stickler! Oh Derek, why do you have to break the rules? I loved that dance but it wasn't enough for Len. I knew the second they broke hold the first time he was going to nail them and then they kept doing it. Well, Len should convince the producers to give them different music. That song was just asking for it.
Kate, I won't even comment on that horrible dance except to say that if she survives another week I'm going to be very upset.

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old April 8th, 2010, 2:44 pm
Curse Breaker

They basically did an entertaining freestyle in the middle of the competition. It could have cost them, it didn't. I'd like to know how Kate escaped the Bottom Two twice.

Old April 8th, 2010, 3:15 pm
Sixth Year

^^Seriously. She's such a drag on the show. She's horrible to poor Tony and she's got absolutely zero potential. She must have a lot of fans who are voting for her because of the whole John and Kate + 8 thing but hopefully that will stop soon. The only person equally as untalented as her was Buzz and at least he was adorable. If she stays on the show it means she's going to be surviving far superior dancers and that's what bothers me most on this show.

Let it get me down
So I will try not to cry
Farewell CosForums
Old April 8th, 2010, 11:01 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post

Except Kate. She needs to go. How did she escape the bottom two??

Pamela is also a shock. She is so much better than I expected. She might go far in this show if she ups her technique. I'm ok with that as long as she stops giving Damien that weird half-simpering, half-sexy expression everytime they're on camera.
Agreed. Kate needs to go -- now . I couldn't stand her on her old reality tv show, and I can't stand her on DWTS. My guess is that a LOT of people like her... and voted over and over again for her...

Seconded. I really was surprised by her performance. She seems to really enjoy dancing and all of the hard work and effort that goes into it. I hope that she can make it to the final four or so.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:20 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post

Erin took a bold move with that blindfold. I'm not sure I would have the guts to dance blindfolded on TV. What a risk! I love the chemistry between her and Max. I think Max needs some more interesting choreo though. Erin's waltz felt very similar to her Foxtrot, but I guess the dances are fairly similar.

Kate, I won't even comment on that horrible dance except to say that if she survives another week I'm going to be very upset.
Yes, that look! Every time, it's quite annoying to me.
I didn't care for the blindfold. Especially since there were cutouts for her eyes, under the shimmery layer of fabric. You could see them in certain light, and when they took it off.
Well, we know that nobody here is voting for Kate! Really, I didn't know anyone actually still liked her, but someone must.

Chamber of Secrets
Always

Old April 14th, 2010, 3:26 pm
Sixth Year

Did anyone happen to see the results show this week? I know Aiden was eliminated but I wonder who was in the bottom two with him.

Thoughts on this week's show:

Aiden: He was always very stiff and boring for me. He was improving every week but not enough. I'm just disappointed that he went before Kate did.

Kate: I really didn't see much improvement. She's still just walking around the stage.

Chad: I thought his rumba was a huge improvement. Not surprised he was able to get into a dance like that with Cheryl. He's such a flirt.

Niecy: I'm with the judges on that one. I thought her rumba was nice, but it wasn't very exciting and the emotion didn't get through to me. I felt bad for her though. She probably poured her heart and soul into that one and it just didn't come out.

Jake: I felt so bad when he tripped. I was really enjoying his tango. For all that he lacks in technique, Jake really makes up for it in his performance. He gets so into them. I loved the move around the staircase. That was well done. It's so unfortunate that he tripped right after.

Evan: That tango was great! He's finally getting some technique down. I'm really surprised with Evan. For some reason I didn't expect him to nail his performances but he's in character every week. And people say he has no musicality.

Pamela: That was a good rumba. I was surprised she was marked so low on the performance aspect. I get the technical, but wasn't the performance supposed to be a separate score? And you're trying to tell me that Pamela didn't sell the dance of love? Please.

Nicole: I wonder if the fact that she looked so bummed after such high scores (in a night of low scores) will hurt with the fans. Seriously. Be happy with 9s girl!

Erin: Wasn't too impressed with her tango. There was definitely plenty of content but it was forgettable. If Maks wants to go farther, he needs to give Erin something spectacular to do.

Let it get me down
So I will try not to cry
Farewell CosForums

Last edited by dweaselqueen; April 14th, 2010 at 3:32 pm.
Old April 14th, 2010, 5:38 pm
Third Year

I'm sad to see Aiden go home, but at least it wasn't someone who is better than him. Too bad it wasn't Kate!

Here's what I remember of my thoughts after Monday night:
Obviously I'm no dancing expert, but I really liked Niecy's dance. I thought it was her best one yet and I didn't really agree with what the judges had to say.
Jake! I didn't see him messing up before his stumble, and I'm glad that he just got up and kept going. At first I thought he got caught in Chelsie's dress, but it looks like he just slipped. After last week we did add him to the family voting list, and I'm glad he stayed.
There may have been improvement on Kate's part, but it wasn't much. She's still horrible. She needs to go now.

My favorite of the "trailers" from last night? "Glambo"!!!

Chamber of Secrets
Always

Old April 14th, 2010, 6:40 pm
Registered Animagus

Glambo was great. I really liked the results show. Until Kate goes home, that's all I'm watching.

Old April 14th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
Glambo was great. I really liked the results show. Until Kate goes home, that's all I'm watching.
That's me too. I have no idea (no offense) why she's still even on there .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old April 14th, 2010, 7:03 pm
Secret Keeper

I kinda stopped watching DWTS after Julianne left the show. God, she must be one of the best female dancers in the world, not to mention she's damn sexy. Can't wait to see her in the Footloose remake. Speaking of, I still need to see the original sometime.

Anyone know if she's scheduled to come back soon? I know she's been trying out a new career in country music, but it doesn't seem to be going too well Only one Top 20 hit, nothing since- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=182YRYbXxXQ Maybe she'll do better with acting

Also, why have I never seen the couples perform much Swing, especially West Coast Swing on the show? West Coast is by far my favorite. Hard one to learn and teach since the man and woman's steps are completely different...but when you put 'em together it's awesome.

From what I've seen of this season so far (basically just the first few episodes) my favorite is probably the lead singer of the Pussycat Dolls and her partner Derek, Julianne's bro. The Olympic figure skater and the football player are pretty good too

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; April 14th, 2010 at 7:12 pm.
Old April 14th, 2010, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
I kinda stopped watching DWTS after Julianne left the show. God, she must be one of the best female dancers in the world, not to mention she's damn sexy. Can't wait to see her in the Footloose remake. Speaking of, I still need to see the original sometime.

Anyone know if she's scheduled to come back soon? I know she's been trying out a new career in country music, but it doesn't seem to be going too well Only one Top 20 hit, nothing since- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=182YRYbXxXQ Maybe she'll do better with acting

Also, why have I never seen the couples perform much Swing, especially West Coast Swing on the show? West Coast is by far my favorite. Hard one to learn and teach since the man and woman's steps are completely different...but when you put 'em together it's awesome.

From what I've seen of this season so far (basically just the first few episodes) my favorite is probably the lead singer of the Pussycat Dolls and her partner Derek, Julianne's bro. The Olympic figure skater and the football player are pretty good too
Yea. It's a very hard dance for anyone to learn... I'm actually a little curious to see how they'll all do in terms of that one .

I'd probably go with Pam Anderson and the Olympic figure skater as the best ones I've seen dancing wise overall. She's at least giving her all -- and he probably has good balance and rhythm after all of the skating that he's done over the years.

Old April 14th, 2010, 7:32 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Yea. It's a very hard dance for anyone to learn... I'm actually a little curious to see how they'll all do in terms of that one .
Yeah, our dance instructor told us it's one of the hardest. BTW, something I've been wondering for a while and specifically now- any idea how many hours they practice? We are doing a Rumba Cha-Cha choreography in our intermediate social class this quarter, but it seems to me that our dance instructor is a bit over-ambitious. He wants us to peform it even! I won't pretend I'm not at least a bit scared. You see all we've got is 10 weeks with class 2 hrs a week to learn it and some of us (ie me) are complete beginners to Latin...I only know Swing

Now perhaps I'm wrong but it seems they spend at least 40 hours learning a routine for the show and they don't even dance full songs, right?

Quote:
I'd probably go with Pam Anderson and the Olympic figure skater as the best ones I've seen dancing wise overall. She's at least giving her all -- and he probably has good balance and rhythm after all of the skating that he's done over the years.
Pamela?

Really? I figured she was just a gimmick more or less to get people to watch But like I said, I've only seen the first couple episodes. Personally I don't think she's all that attractive anymore. She was cute back in her 20's but she's so fakey looking now, ugh. I'd have to say now that Julianne is gone the most attractive is probably Chelsie Hightower. Coincidentially perhaps, wasn't she Julianne's replacement?

Last edited by lcbaseball22; April 14th, 2010 at 7:53 pm.
Old April 14th, 2010, 7:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Yeah, our dance instructor told us it's one of the hardest. BTW, something I've been wondering for a while and specifically now- any idea how many hours they practice? We are doing a rumba cha-cha choreography in our intermediate social dance class this quarter, but it seems to me that our dance instructor is a bit over-ambitious. He wants us to peform it even! I won't pretend I'm not at least a bit scared. You see all we've got is 10 weeks with class 2 hrs a week to learn it and some of us (ie me) are complete beginners to Latin...I only know Swing

Now perhaps I'm wrong but it seems they spend at least 40 hours learning a routine for the show and they don't even dance full songs, right?

Pamela?

Really? I figured she was just a gimmick more or less to get people to watch But like I said, I've only seen the first couple episodes. Personally I don't think she's all that attractive anymore. She was cute back in her 20's but she's so fakey looking now, ugh. I'd have to say now that Julianne is gone the most attractive is probably Chelsie Hightower. Coincidentially perhaps, wasn't she Julianne's replacement?
Whoa, good luck on that . Yea as far as I know.

Yep, really. That's what I thought as well... but so far, she's done well. She's really proven me wrong there -- a real surprise, and that's always good to see .

Not sure on that one.

Old April 14th, 2010, 9:02 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Whoa, good luck on that . Yea as far as I know.
Thanks

At least we have great instructors. It's a husband and wife couple and they learned from the best...Buddy Schwimmer was their instructor. Yeah, I feel very privileged to be learning dance from them.

Speaking of Schwimmer, I just looked it up on Wiki and it appears that West Coast Swing was done in Season 7 and not again since. Now the scores weren't very good so I guess that's not too surprising....but what I do find interesting is the pro of the lowest scoring couple on that dance was none other then Lacey Schwimmer...Buddy's daughter and a West Coast World Champion. But then again that is def a dance that could look sloppy without a strong lead and the highest scoring couple only scored one pt higher so I guess it wasn't too unsual And she's used to performing with her bro Benji or some other skilled lead...not Lance Bass On that note, anyone think it's unfair how they score men against women? I mean the male stars have it a lot tougher trying to learn leads and an experienced follow can only get you so far...though I think Julianne could make even Buzz Aldrin look good God that was hilarious Gotta give him props for trying though

Anyways, don't get me wrong...I'm sure it's not easy learning to follow either, but it's certainly less involved then leading. So for scoring I think they should only have men competing against the men and the women competing against the women...that would be more fair.

You know, it's funny...our instructor always says he doesn't understand why men lead and women follow. Since women are more adept at multi-tasking he believes it would be more natural for women to lead. Makes sense...as a guy it's hard for us to have to remember our footwork, remember the lead, think about what we want to do next, etc. However, at least with routines, you KNOW exactly what you need to do in what order rather then trying to make it up like is done in a social dance setting. That makes it slightly easier on the male brain

Last edited by lcbaseball22; April 14th, 2010 at 9:14 pm.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives