Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Old January 19th, 2010, 7:17 pm
Genius Loci

Version 2. Version 1 can be found here.

The usual rules apply to this thread. As the behaviour has been generally quite good in this thread lately, we're not going to drift away from the pattern you're into discussing. However, the original questions are there if you wish to revise/expand upon and as always, new participants may wish to discuss.

1) Do you believe that men and women are inherently "different" on more than a biological level?

2) Do you believe that gendering is a matter of nature or nurture? A combination of both?

3) Have you ever felt discriminated against or judged based on your gender?

4) Do you feel that your gender is misunderstood by the opposite gender? Have you experienced an "Us/Them" scenario with regard to gender in your relationships with other people?

5) Are there any fundamental questions you would like to ask of members of the opposite sex? (For obvious reasons, questions must be PG-13). Any misconceptions you would like to clear up that you feel are generally accepted about your gender?

6) Have you ever felt limited by gender roles or ostricized by other members of your own gender for failing to live up to stereotypes and expectations surrounding your gender?

Last few posts from old version:

Siriusandme's post:    

I've met plenty of women who think that if a woman doesn't leave an abusive relationship it's her own fault if she gets beaten. Silly people....

ActingDude17's post:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusandme View Post
I've met plenty of women who think that if a woman doesn't leave an abusive relationship it's her own fault if she gets beaten. Silly people....
It's not 100% her fault but she can definitely be held accountable for not getting the heck out of there.

Siriusandme's post:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActingDude17 View Post
It's not 100% her fault but she can definitely be held accountable for not getting the heck out of there.
Yes and no... Relationships like that don't start out by beating someone half to death. They start by, psychologicaly, breaking someone down. By making them feel like they are less than nothing, so I can imagine it's extremely hard to leave to pack your bags and leave. Especially when there are children involved. Besides I can't imagine there even a single woman who askes to be beaten.

DancingMaenid's post:    

Quote:
Yes and no... Relationships like that don't start out by beating someone half to death. They start by, psychologicaly, breaking someone down. By making them feel like they are less than nothing, so I can imagine it's extremely hard to leave to pack your bags and leave. Especially when there are children involved. Besides I can't imagine there even a single woman who askes to be beaten.
Exactly. Not only that, but the early signs of abuse can be hard to interpret. For example, if your boyfriend likes to call you all the time, it can be hard to know if that's a sign of possessive behavior or not. If he seems like a great guy in other respects, you may not pay much heed to the warning signs until they're a major problem.

And I don't think anyone can ever be blamed for abuse they receive. If you stick your hand in a beehive and get stung, then yeah, you hold some of the responsibility because bees will sting. When it comes to humans, we expect people to be responsible for their own actions. A woman has a responsibility to herself to take care of herself and make good decisions, but she can't be responsible for someone else's choice to hurt her.

Yoana's post:    

Moreover, dependency on the abuser often accompanies abuse - whether financial or emotional. Some women can't get away because there's no-one to turn to for help, precisely because in many societies, most people will blame them.

Voldemorts8thHorcrux's post:    

I definitely see that a lot (people finding other people's "home selves" unbelievable). My friends find it hard to believe stuff like how my mom can even yell at me or something simple like that because she appears harmless and nice. My parents friends dont seem to believe that I'm a teenager that argues with my parents and I know that my grandparents think that my dad is the most amazing husband/father ever and ignore all of his faults which in a way can be considered overly possessive. Besides, I doubt many people can honestly say that they're really being themselves in all situations in front of all people

Old January 19th, 2010, 7:30 pm
Second Year

Re: Gender: Roles, Stereotypes, Discrimination Version 2

V8 has a good point. I never act "girly" but I am always much more "feminine" when I'm around people I don't know.

Brought to you with help from the eternally awesome DarkLord7.

Future Ruler of the ENTIRE TRI-STATE AREA!!!! *Dramatic lightning*

I lost The Game.
Old January 20th, 2010, 2:09 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
And I don't think anyone can ever be blamed for abuse they receive. If you stick your hand in a beehive and get stung, then yeah, you hold some of the responsibility because bees will sting. When it comes to humans, we expect people to be responsible for their own actions. A woman has a responsibility to herself to take care of herself and make good decisions, but she can't be responsible for someone else's choice to hurt her.

Quote:
Moreover, dependency on the abuser often accompanies abuse - whether financial or emotional. Some women can't get away because there's no-one to turn to for help, precisely because in many societies, most people will blame them.
I agree, people are responsible for their own choices, yet many people seem unable or unwilling to accept that. A few pages back on the previous version, someone commented that with rape cases, maybe people, especially women blame the victim because they want to reassure themselves with the thinking "if she was at least partially at fault, it can't happen to me if I don't do what she did". I think maybe the same thinking is sometimes applied to domestic violence.

Also, V8 makes a good point - people's home personas and outside personas can be totally different. This difference can mean that people don't want to believe that a popular guy, (or woman, as females can be perpetrators also) who gets involved in the community, has lots of friends and has no criminal record can possibly be capable of domestic violence. Or, if they do believe it, they think the victim "had to have done something wrong to provoke such a lovely person."

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.

Last edited by FurryDice; January 20th, 2010 at 2:14 am.
Old January 20th, 2010, 7:38 pm
Fourth Year

1) Do you believe that men and women are inherently "different" on more than a biological level?

Yes, I also believe men and women are different on a psychological level.

2) Do you believe that gendering is a matter of nature or nurture? A combination of both?

I believe it's a combination of both. There are plenty of girls who don't like playing with dolls or playing dress-up and there are plenty of boys who do. And if a child doesn't like playing with dolls or cars you can buy as many as you want, they won't play with them. About a year ago a saw an episode of The View where Sherry Shepherd (???) said that her then 2yr old son decided to play dress-up at his nursery school and put on a princess dress. She then got angry with the teachers there for her son wearing a dress. Dresses are for girls, period!!!

No, but I'm not sure if I've ever been in a situation where I could have been discriminated against. And maybe it did happen and I just never noticed, I'm not the most observant person...

4) Do you feel that your gender is misunderstood by the opposite gender? Have you experienced an "Us/Them" scenario with regard to gender in your relationships with other people?

Yes, but more in a, what seemed like a typical male reaction, to an event. About a year ago there was an artical in the newspaper about a woman who had inherited her mothers wedding ring and because she couldn't wear it (wrong size) she went to a jeweller to have it turned into a necklace. A few weeks after she received the necklace, she passed the jeweller and saw her mothers wedding ring. It turned out the man had used different gold for the necklace and decided to sell the ring. My father thought this was perfectly logical and when I said the ring held an emotional value he said that if that were the case the woman never should have taken the ring to the jewellers in the first place. He didn't get my view that the emotional value was in the fact that this ring belonged to the mother and that it had nothing to do with it's shape.

5) Are there any fundamental questions you would like to ask of members of the opposite sex? (For obvious reasons, questions must be PG-13). Any misconceptions you would like to clear up that you feel are generally accepted about your gender?

Not really no, at least, I can't think of any....

6) Have you ever felt limited by gender roles or ostricized by other members of your own gender for failing to live up to stereotypes and expectations surrounding your gender?

Yes, but I'm not sure if they are linked to my gender or more general expectations of how people of a certain age should behave.

"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

- George Clooney, on his aversion to the social networking site.
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:27 am
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Quote:
Yes, but more in a, what seemed like a typical male reaction, to an event. About a year ago there was an artical in the newspaper about a woman who had inherited her mothers wedding ring and because she couldn't wear it (wrong size) she went to a jeweller to have it turned into a necklace. A few weeks after she received the necklace, she passed the jeweller and saw her mothers wedding ring. It turned out the man had used different gold for the necklace and decided to sell the ring. My father thought this was perfectly logical and when I said the ring held an emotional value he said that if that were the case the woman never should have taken the ring to the jewellers in the first place. He didn't get my view that the emotional value was in the fact that this ring belonged to the mother and that it had nothing to do with it's shape.
Did she sue the jeweller? or at least make him return the ring?

Old January 21st, 2010, 5:11 am
Sixth Year

Men and women are from different planets, as it seem. They're not only different on biological levels, but most of the time, emotional and mental levels as well.

Both. Traditionally, girls play with dolls, while guys rough-house, and play things like Poke'mon and cars and such. However, there are exceptions to the rules. (I.E me.) I think I had more fun rough-housing with my guy friends (I was seven, okay!), playing Poke'mon cards and setting up cars and trains than playing with dolls.

Not yet, no.

I'm not particularly sure.

Can't think of any.

I'm a total tomboy, and I'm 16! (Well, 17 this year.) But no, I have not been ostricised because I'm a tomboy.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old January 21st, 2010, 5:43 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pox Voldius View Post
Did she sue the jeweller? or at least make him return the ring?
As far as I know she went inside to get the ring back wich he refused so she sued him. That is also why it ended up in the newspaper.

"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

Old January 21st, 2010, 12:42 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
As far as I know she went inside to get the ring back wich he refused so she sued him. That is also why it ended up in the newspaper.
I don't understand yet how this is a matter of gender discrimination.

Old January 21st, 2010, 3:46 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by canismajoris View Post
I don't understand yet how this is a matter of gender discrimination.
apparently you didn't read my earlier post. This
Quote:
Do you feel that your gender is misunderstood by the opposite gender? Have you experienced an "Us/Them" scenario with regard to gender in your relationships with other people?
was the question and my answer was more about the discussion between my father, my mother and myself and how I perceived his reaction as typically male and he saw my reaction as typically female. It had nothing to do with gender discrimination.

Old January 21st, 2010, 7:55 pm
First Year

Not really. I think humans are more alike than we are different. I believe that hormones probably do have somewhat of an effect on some things, such as how strongly men and women feel emotion, but the ways in which we express emotion are probably socialized in us from birth. I mean, think about how gendered toys are for children. Gendering is a deeply-ingrained process unique to different human cultures, and not even parents can control how much of these gendered messages kids get from the rest of the world. I don't believe that all people are exactly the same, nor do I believe men and women are truly "opposite."

Like I said in the previous answer, I think hormones and biology accounts for a small amount of differences, but socialization is probably much more of a contributing factor. Socialization is an extremely potent subconscious force, and in our individualistic society, it can be difficult to understand just how much of what we do and feel is not entirely up to our conscious control.

Not yet, personally. I am lucky to have a family that does not have different expectations of me for being a girl. But I plan on going into a scientific career field, and I am hoping I don't face any discrimination for my gender.

I think both men and women can get into the habit of stereotyping people of other genders. I believe the structure of this comment is somewhat misleading. Sex and gender are both more of a spectrum than "opposite." Some people are born intersexed, which means they have ambiguous genitalia. The less accurate term is hermaphrodite. Also, some people identify as genderqueer/third gender as opposed to man or woman. Gender is a social construction, as other societies have different gender categories.

5) Are there any fundamental questions you would like to ask of members of the opposite sex?. Any misconceptions you would like to clear up that you feel are generally accepted about your gender?

My only advice is not to stereotype anyone. It's really problematic to treat all men or all women as exactly the same. We don't act or feel or think a certain way just because of our gender.

I feel most comfortable as a bit of a tomboy, and I've felt pressure to look more feminine. I think gender policing is really common. Girls are allowed to be a little more masculine, though being heterosexual and feminine is still the expected norm. But guys get almost no flexibility. There are really strong gender rules for men, from what activities they enjoy to what they wear to who they spend time with and express emotion. I wish that all people could be free to express themselves without having to worry about backlash from others for not fitting into their gender roles.

Old January 21st, 2010, 10:02 pm
Sixth Year

Absolutely. Though what I think you mean is psychological and in terms of actions and reactions etc. Most research prompts the conclusion that yes we are. Indeed, not necessarily to do with gender, but a far more personality traits are inherited than commonly thought and gender does have a basis in this.

Obviously it's both. Genders are fundamentally different in most animals and we are no exception. However, different social groups will of course heavily influence a learning child.

No, though, as a man I have rather less trouble with this sort of thing.

There are plenty of women who understand the way that men work, and plenty who do not. The same is true vice versa.

Nope.

Guys used to think I was effeminate at school? But then most of the neanderthals in those bygone days never quite clocked onto the fact that you could present yourself well and play music whilst still netting a fairly high girlfriend total.
No but seriously, apart from silly youth kids stuff years ago not at all. It is hardly going to happen now.

i'm in slytherin!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 1:07 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2456 View Post
Both. Traditionally, girls play with dolls, while guys rough-house, and play things like Poke'mon and cars and such. However, there are exceptions to the rules. (I.E me.) I think I had more fun rough-housing with my guy friends (I was seven, okay!), playing Poke'mon cards and setting up cars and trains than playing with dolls.
But it seems that everything you've said is a matter of nurture. Would girls play with dolls if we didn't put dolls in front of their faces? Would boys rough house if we didn't encourage them to be active?

Old January 22nd, 2010, 1:13 am
Second Year

Quote:
But it seems that everything you've said is a matter of nurture. Would girls play with dolls if we didn't put dolls in front of their faces? Would boys rough house if we didn't encourage them to be active?
I think that, especially at young ages, they are essentially the same. I think it is more a difference in a child's preference than a gender one.

Brought to you with help from the eternally awesome DarkLord7.

Future Ruler of the ENTIRE TRI-STATE AREA!!!! *Dramatic lightning*

I lost The Game.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 1:32 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWhisper7 View Post

Girls are allowed to be a little more masculine, though being heterosexual and feminine is still the expected norm. But guys get almost no flexibility. There are really strong gender rules for men, from what activities they enjoy to what they wear to who they spend time with and express emotion. I wish that all people could be free to express themselves without having to worry about backlash from others for not fitting into their gender roles.
I agree. I think the fact that men are not allowed as much flexibility as women points to the underlying belief that being a man is better than being a woman. Therefore, women wear pants but men don't wear skirts, women cut their hair short but men don't curl their hair, girls are encouraged to play sports but boys are not encouraged to play with dolls or other docile activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsRSkary View Post
I think that, especially at young ages, they are essentially the same. I think it is more a difference in a child's preference than a gender one.
I get what you're saying

Old January 22nd, 2010, 8:44 pm
Secret Keeper

Hmm, I wonder what all the more "tomboy" girls have in common if it really is nurture.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:32 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
Hmm, I wonder what all the more "tomboy" girls have in common if it really is nurture.
Nothing more than what boys who are not effeminate have in common.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:55 pm
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I'm not sure that it is nurture. I was a "tomboy" girl despite my mom wanting & trying to influence me to be a girly girl.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 1:46 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
I'm not sure that it is nurture. I was a "tomboy" girl despite my mom wanting & trying to influence me to be a girly girl.
And that's exactly what my mom did to me , except i was too stubborn so part of me was ungirly just to spite her.

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:07 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
It's not, people (and therefor children) are what they are. Wich is why I stated in my earlier post that you can give them all the toys i the world, but they will only play with what they like. I believe a lot of this is in people's character and as parents you can only "work" within those limits. As in, you can't turn a girlie girl into a tomboy.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 9:23 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
It's not, people (and therefor children) are what they are. Wich is why I stated in my earlier post that you can give them all the toys i the world, but they will only play with what they like. I believe a lot of this is in people's character and as parents you can only "work" within those limits. As in, you can't turn a girlie girl into a tomboy.
I have a slightly different theory. I think that different boys and girls have different tendencies to want to fit into certain categories. I'm not quite sure "Likes playing with dolls" is somewhere in the DNA, but maybe "Wants to be seen as more feminine" is. (Not sure if that made sense)

My Deviantart Account

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives