Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.2

Old October 30th, 2009, 9:33 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2

Crash - The most powerful film i've seen since...well, since Requiem for a Dream a month ago, so I guess it hasn't been that long, but still, excellent movie. It's disappointing in a way to see actors like Sandra Bullock and Brendan Fraser be so good here and then reduce themselves to lame romantic comedies for most of the time otherwise. A+

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2009, 12:09 am
Fourth Year

The Matrix - 10/10

Old memories seldom fade
And bad habits die hard...
Old October 31st, 2009, 2:31 am
Seventh Year

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - Very good film, with a great sense of atmosphere and a standout performance from Werner Krauss as Dr. Caligari. B+ (It's kinda funny that, purely by coincidence, both of the silent films I've watched recently have been German horror films.)

Old October 31st, 2009, 2:50 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - Very good film, with a great sense of atmosphere and a standout performance from Werner Krauss as Dr. Caligari. B+ (It's kinda funny that, purely by coincidence, both of the silent films I've watched recently have been German horror films.)
Wow, it's so old I'm surprised you were able to find it. I might have to give this a watch just to see how a silent film actually works

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Old October 31st, 2009, 2:54 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Wow, it's so old I'm surprised you were able to find it. I might have to give this a watch just to see how a silent film actually works
It wasn't hard at all actually, Netflix has it streaming on their site and just as a standard rental.

Old October 31st, 2009, 4:52 am
Secret Keeper

Dracula (1931)- 87%

If you want a no blood/no sex version of Dracula, this is the one for you None of the vampire attacks are even shown, it always cuts away before their neck is bitten so it's just implied. It deviates quite a bit from the novel (and moves quickly, omitting plot-points) but nonetheless it's a very good film. I think it's slightly better overall than the '92 version, but I prefer Gary Oldman's Dracula performance.

Old October 31st, 2009, 5:54 am
Second Year

Paranormal Activity - 10/10
This was honestly the scariest movie I've seen in my life, which says alot. I'm a big horror film junkie, but I wasn't expecting to get much from this movie, but all the hype was dead-on. It was very Blair Witch Project-esque in the sense that it was filmed with a sort of "documentary" feel. Though I think it's pretty apparent that these were not the real tapes from the so-called "true story" (I use this term lightly, because I don't really believe in demon posession and exorcism and all that). However, I really enjoyed how the suspense was built throughout the whole film. The final 10 minutes were by far the scariest, so much to the point where I covered my eyes. Honestly when it was time to leave the theater, I could barely walk because I was shaking This was the kind of movie where your fear lingers for a while after you get home. If anyone plans on seeing this, I strongly suggest seeing it in theaters, because I feel like it's alot scarier in theaters than it would be at home. Plus the experience alone was worth it, hearing everyone else in the audience scream and curse is pretty hilarious. Especially when it's the "macho tough" guys.

Oct. 31 2009
One of the best days of my life.

Can you see? You remind of how I used to be.
Let's say goodbye to our maybes,
incomplete, just a texture of how life really is.
And it seems to feel so real.
Old October 31st, 2009, 7:35 am
Banned

I just completed The Ring and The Ring Two. I really like these films. I am sure the original Ringu films are better but these suffice. They both get a "B" from me.

Edit: I watched three more films today.

Martyrs is a French film about a woman who was held captive and tortured. She eventually escapes and seeks revenge with her institution friend. The movie is very, very graphic, more so than À l'intérieur, which I semi-reviewed earlier in this thread. The first two acts are great and creepy but the third is where things get hectic. It's really difficult to watch. If you are a fan of French cinema, a horror film fan, and can take high doses of cinematic violence, I would recommend the film. If not, then stay away completely. I give the film a "B".

Dawn of the Dead(2004): This is perhaps the best horror film remake ever made. I think it is the perfect zombie film. It is also Watchmen director Zack Snyder’s feature debut. The opening scene alone film should get one hooked. The acting is top notch and the film has VING RHAMES! How can you not like him? I know that slow zombies make more sense logically but they aren’t really threatening. The use of fast zombies here makes a zombie apocalypse more frightening. Snyder’s direction is outstanding. My rating: A.

Shaun of the Dead: This is a hilarious zombie spoof. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are great together; they have so much chemistry. If you are versed in zombie films then the movie will be even more humorous, as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread. Shaun of the Dead is director Edgar Wright’s first foray into feature films. This film can even be called a rom-com. My rating: A.

Last edited by NumberEight; November 1st, 2009 at 5:09 am.
Old November 1st, 2009, 6:58 am
Fourth Year

The Boondock Saints - 8.5/10

Some people love it, some people hate it. I found it quite entertaining. Looking forward to watching The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day

Paranormal Activity
- 6/10

This film was extremely disappointing. All the hype ruined it for me. It was basically another Blair Witch Project. The acting was believable. I was expecting to be scared senseless, instead I laughed at parts. Oh well...

Old memories seldom fade
Old November 1st, 2009, 9:53 am
Sixth Year

This Is It - 8.5/10
It doesn't require you to be a MJ fan to appreciate this. I didn't grow up on MJ's music, in fact, I've rarely listened to any of his music. Let me say what my anticipation for this was: it's a cash in, a rushed documentary just put together in light of his death and released in theaters for the sake of money. Perhaps it was a cash in, but even at that, it's a great theater experience. You won't get the same level of energy on a regular tv screen probably, the theater is just about as close as we would have ever gotten to the real tour. However, I was wrong on the doc being rushed together for this release, obviously constructed only for rehersal footage, it's direction is top notch. The first half of the movie is perfect, the editing is impeccable, the scale of the performances is higher than anything I've ever seen. The second half doesn't quite have the energy of the first half, but it does by the end of it, you feel like you really got to know Michael Jackson just through his art. He was a very talented artist, and honestly, you feel sad when anyone dies, but his death didn't have the impact on me it had on many (like my parents, especially my mom) because I wasn't familiar with his music and had only really been familiar with him through the media, which wasn't so kind years back.... but everyone was talking about how it doesn't feel like he's dead, but for me, I don't think I really got the impact of his death until tonight. The man was talented, and he was on the edge of, what I believe this showed, to be the greatest tour in music history. It's a tragic story, but the movie doesn't use this to it's advantage or profit. It respects the man, and makes a great doc that's every bit worth the theatrical release.

Old November 1st, 2009, 1:12 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by padfoot__lives View Post
Paranormal Activity - 10/10
This was honestly the scariest movie I've seen in my life, which says alot. I'm a big horror film junkie, but I wasn't expecting to get much from this movie, but all the hype was dead-on. It was very Blair Witch Project-esque in the sense that it was filmed with a sort of "documentary" feel. Though I think it's pretty apparent that these were not the real tapes from the so-called "true story" (I use this term lightly, because I don't really believe in demon posession and exorcism and all that). However, I really enjoyed how the suspense was built throughout the whole film. The final 10 minutes were by far the scariest, so much to the point where I covered my eyes. Honestly when it was time to leave the theater, I could barely walk because I was shaking This was the kind of movie where your fear lingers for a while after you get home. If anyone plans on seeing this, I strongly suggest seeing it in theaters, because I feel like it's alot scarier in theaters than it would be at home. Plus the experience alone was worth it, hearing everyone else in the audience scream and curse is pretty hilarious. Especially when it's the "macho tough" guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th_Wonder View Post

Paranormal Activity
- 6/10

This film was extremely disappointing. All the hype ruined it for me. It was basically another Blair Witch Project. The acting was believable. I was expecting to be scared senseless, instead I laughed at parts. Oh well...
Hmm, quite conflicting views here...

I saw it myself and I'd have to say I fall right in the middle of you two. No, I wasn't scared senseless, but it was disturbing and I feel like it's a movie that could haunt you for a while. It's def a one and done movie though. It has no merit for a re-watch and there's a lot of "filler"

So my score is an 80% or 8/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by padfoot__lives View Post
If anyone plans on seeing this, I strongly suggest seeing it in theaters, because I feel like it's alot scarier in theaters than it would be at home. Plus the experience alone was worth it, hearing everyone else in the audience scream and curse is pretty hilarious. Especially when it's the "macho tough" guys.
Yeah, probabably. I didn't see it in theatres, but I could see that atmosphere being scarier with everyone around you screaming. But I've never really heard guys scream. More likely they will say something like "holy ****!" That's how it was with me and my friend at least...

Anyways, in addition to the aformentioned I watched four other films last night. (all pretty short though, each around 90 min.) I guess I'll just quote what I posted on the Halloween Thread (which also has a more extensive review of Paranormal Activity) but add in the scores...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22
So, my friend and I watched Halloween, Trick 'r Treat, Zombieland, Paranormal Activity, and Shaun of the Dead (in that order)

The plan had been to watch Nightmare on Elm Street, but my friend soon realized that he'd already seen it so we watched Paranormal Activity instead. I wouldn't say any of them were particularly all that scary. Maybe I'm not as much of a scaredy cat as I thought...

On that note, something I was wondering....can anyone answer for why girls always scream at scary stuff? I don't get it.

Well, the scariest thing was actually something that occured while we were watching Zombieland. This gang of what I think was teenagers were shining orange lasers in through the curtains and banging on the doors and windows. I don't think they took too kindly to us pretending like we weren't home so we didn't have to hand out candy. They stuck around for a good 5 minutes or so and a few of them even came around back to where our dog was barking outside. That was pretty much crossing the line into trespassing at that point and I went to grab my baseball bat cause I was afraid they were gonna do something to her or vandalize our property or who knows what. For a while I actually thought they were gonna try to break in. But just as I was thinking about going out and crushing skulls they left and we resumed our movie.

So anyways, back to the movies-

Halloween- 88%

Love the music. Of course the theme song is iconic and even though I hadn't seen the film before I have it on some Haunted House CD's. It's a little slow but builds up suspense fairly well. I thought it was odd how the killer seemed to be supernatural. Not what I expected.

Trick 'r Treat- 87%

Once again I wasn't expecting supernatural elements. Trailer didn't really hint at this. But the film is full of it. It was cool though because it like combined pretty much all the Halloween lore into one film (zombies, werewolves, witches, vampires, etc) though it was a bit odd and gruesome at times. Oh, and there was a severe lack of exposition. The director seemingly trusts the audience to be capable of piecing together the puzzle based simply on what they see, which is kinda nice but not always for the best.

Paranormal Activity- 80%

The mockumentary style was interesting but there is soo much filler. I think this movie is def over-hyped. Only the night-time scenes were scary and it was just a progressively building suspense, starting with small things and getting more and more creepy. What was frightening was you didn't know what was going to happen or where it was coming from. And far as I understand it this is quite different from most modern horror films where you can often guess what is going to happen and/or the scares are right in your face. And I must say, I was surprised to not find any nudity in the film either, especially with how the camera was in their bedroom every night. It's like this young couple never has sex. That seemed quite un-realistic, but whatever. Maybe it could be explained by the demon affecting their relationship.

Really it was pretty simple. I got more of the suspense feeling I do from like a Hitchcock film and it was more creepy than actually scary. For instance, I'm pretty sure I only jumped once. Overall, I'm again failing to see why people are calling it "the scariest movie of all time"

However, I could really see this being a film that could get under your skin and haunt you for a while. It is disturbing, no doubt. And the way it's shot, it feels real. The couple does a great job acting and you really sympathize with them. I was particularly impressed by the woman's acting. It was good, but I think they could've done more with it and gone further. BTW, I watched both endings and prefer the original that doesn't allow for a sequel. The theatrical version was lame. The 3rd ending (which I didn't see but read about) wouldn't been ok too.

BTW, even though none had me jumping and screaming like I anticipated, I think they def seem to have got to my psyche. Before heading to bed I found myself going around the house checking rooms while carrying my bat. And so far I haven't been able to sleep. Even though there's probably a logical explanation, I keep thinking I'm hearing strange noises and it's freaking me out...

Now for the "comedies"

Zombieland and Shaun of the Dead- both 85%

I can't decide which was better. Both quite funny...but messed up in so many ways. I felt inhumane for laughing at a lot of it

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 1st, 2009 at 2:23 pm.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:28 am
Fourth Year

The Nightmare Before Christmas - 9/10. I really liked it, and it wasn't scary at all, like I had expected, when it was the movie they (my horror movie friends) had picked for the Halloween party. Biggest minus was the Norwegian subtitles. For once, the subtitles were rhyming just as much as what was sung, but whoever made the subtitles changed a lot of the words so much that it, to a certain degree changed the meaning. This would have been okay if it happened a few times during the movie, but it was almost all the time. Sometimes, what my eyes read was almost the opposite of what my ears heard, or it contradicted the story/universe of the movie.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

—Neil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old November 2nd, 2009, 3:22 am
Fourth Year

Just finished watching Reservoir Dogs. 9.5/10

One of the better crime films I've seen. Great acting, great plot, great movie.

Old memories seldom fade
Old November 3rd, 2009, 2:33 am
Secret Keeper

The Shining- 89%

This is the first Kubrick film I've seen. It was a little strange but great. I mean "Tony, the talking finger" was stupid and I could have done without the psychic abilites and some other stuff. But the film is masterfully shot and I’d say it contains Jack Nicholson’s best performance. Maybe it was a bit too much too early, but he is creepy as hell in this film...simply an amazing actor and one of the best! I am tempted to say it’s a better villain performance than Heath Ledger’s Joker even! He so should have won an Oscar for it. I was under the impression he did actually, but it turns out he wasn't even nominated apparently! On the other hand, I did not at all care for Shelley Duvall, the actress who played his wife. Not very attractive and honestly it was also one of the worst and most annoying performances I've seen!!!

As a whole, the film wasn't scary perse, but it was creepy and downright disturbing. The soundtrack was really ominous and added a great deal. And the nude scene was simultaneously one of the most erotic then disturbing scenes I've seen. I really was not expecting THAT!

One other complaint though is the film is TOO ambigeous (although some might argue this is a strength) and nothing was really explained. For instance, why was Jack in that photo at the end? And am I the only one who thinks it is odd that the ghosts are not transparent?

I suppose this review comes off as more negative than my score indicates, but I did really like it overall. There was a lot of brilliance.

The ending was especially well done (and set up and foreshadowed earlier in the film) and for the long running time I didn't feel it dragged.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 3rd, 2009 at 2:47 am.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 2:37 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
On the other hand, I didn't at all care for Shelley Duvall, who played his wife. One of the worst and most annoying performances I've seen!!!
Agreed. It's a shame he didn't get through that door with the axe.

Quote:
For instance, why was Jack in that photo at the end?
Based on my understanding, the hotel was consumed by an evil presence which had absorbed Jack into itself and its history.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 8:13 am
Registered Animagus

Happy Feet. Not sure what all the fuss is about. I must have missed the point (if there was one) of it. Rather than getting the 'accept people for who they are' message I got lots of messages which aren't all that kid-friendly, and I wasn't looking for them 3/10. Dull.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 9:21 am
Secret Keeper

The 6th Sense- 77%

I'm sorry to say I was dissapointed with this film considering it's reputation. I'd heard great things about it from many different people but far as I recall, I had actually managed to stay unspoiled. All I knew was this was the film the line "I see dead people" came from

Anyways, I guessed the twist just from the opening scene. It had to have a greater purpose or else it's inclusion was pretty pointless. And if you don't pick up on it then, it's made painfully obvious in the scene where the aforementioned line is spoken, due to the camera angles and the actors expressions and all. Plus, there's the clues that were recapped at the end. I honestly don't see how the twist surprised anyone.

But setting the twist aside, I thought it was a very mediocre film. There was scenes that seemingly had no purpose (ie the school play) and it was quite dull and boring. It gave me the occasional jolt though with a few startling scenes And Bruce Willis is actually tolerable here.

Haley Joel Osment was the bright point of the film. Such a great young actor. I loved him in Secondhand Lions as well. Personally I wouldn't have minded at all if he had been cast as Harry Potter like was originally rumored when Steven Spielberg was considering as the director

EDIT: Apparently 50 First Dates spoiled the twist, which is a movie I've seen...but I don't recall this. Maybe I subconciously remembered

Regardless, I just don't think this movie has much merit once you know the twist. I feel like it had more potential with a tighter script...

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 3rd, 2009 at 9:34 am.
Old November 4th, 2009, 4:31 am
Seventh Year

The last film I saw was not a feature, it was a short film, "Un Chien Andalou" (by Luis Bunuel and Salvador Dali). If you're truly interested in film, you've probably heard of it or seen it - if not, see it. Now. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Okay, are you back? Good. I don't quite know what to say about it here other than it's one of the most striking, vivid, certainly the most surreal pieces of filmmaking I've ever seen. Rating. N/A

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; November 4th, 2009 at 4:40 am.
Old November 4th, 2009, 5:48 am
Registered Animagus

Howl's Moving Castle. I really loved it. Not as good as Spirited Away IMO but still a wonderful film. Beautiful animation and music in particular. The only thing I wanted more of was character development- especially the relationship between Howl and The Witch of the Waste. Also, I would have liked Sophie to have been a little more shocked when the spell was cast on her. She accepted it a little too easily IMO. Beautiful characters though. I especially liked Turnip 8/10

Old November 4th, 2009, 8:44 am
Secret Keeper

The Maltese Falcon- 93%

I watched this on my dad's recommendation and boy was it great! Some outstanding acting performances and hardly ever a dull moment.

It's a brilliant (albeit tad confusing) story and I doubt you could find a better man than Humphrey Bogart to play the lead actor. He has got such charm and charisma and delivers his lines with such ease, despite his slight lisp. Personally, I think he's better here than Casablanca.

It does have it's problems though. For one I did not find Mary Astor to be a very convincing femme fatale...she seemed too weak to me.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 4th, 2009 at 8:56 am.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives