Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.2

Old October 26th, 2009, 4:53 am
Seventh Year

Re: Rate the Last Film you've seen v.2

Drag Me to Hell - It's great to know Sam Raimi still has it in him to make an exciting, visceral, and very entertaining horror movie like this. It's a blast. A-

Perlidia, I do see what you're saying, and I'd considered that it was a deliberate move to make this not exactly a great romance. Maybe a better way to put it would be to say that I didn't see much of a "chemistry" (for lack of a better word) between Fontaine and Olivier. This isn't a great criticism, though, because the focus is on the specter or shadow of Rebecca looming over all and that totally works.

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2009, 6:09 am
Curse Breaker

Where the Wild Things Are - very well done, 10 out of 10.

Also, The Informant - 10 out of 10.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old October 26th, 2009, 6:41 am
Banned

I just finished John Carpenter's Halloween. It's absolutely great. I give it an "A."

Old October 26th, 2009, 6:43 am
Secret Keeper

Rebecca- 77%

Well, I finished it. The 2nd half was okay, but as a whole I'm not much a fan of this film. I think it is ironic that the only film of Hitchcock's to win the Oscar for Best Picture was something atypical of his other masterpieces. The RT consensus was it's unpredictable but I disagree.

Spoiler: show

Husband kills wife (even though he really didn't) has been done so overplayed and I had a feeling the behavior of Mrs. Danver was more of a red herring. I also felt like a lot was fairly contrived. I mean, Rebecca accidentally slips, falls, hits her head, and kills herself (when she was suicidal anyways) and then her body just happens to be found the night of the party years later? Give me a break. BTW, I read on Wiki what the change from the book was (he actually kills her) and I think I would've preferred that...even though it has been overplayed.

Besides, I don't know much about law...but I'm pretty sure they didn't/wouldn't have had good enough evidence to convict him anyways

It just seemed like the built up intrigue didn't have much pay-off. But I can say now I think their relationship does make sense at least.

And the acting and cinematography are great. It's still above average, but unfortunately I'd have to say it's the worst Hitchcock I've seen.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 26th, 2009 at 9:02 am.
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:41 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
I'm curious, what are the "huge historical mistakes" you're referring to? I haven't read the book yet, but personally I loved the movie.
The one that bothers me most is their saying (it's in the book and the movie keeps it) that it was the Pope who ordered the raid against the Templars. That's false. The raid was ordered by the King of France, and therefore it only took place in France. In other countries the Templars weren't dismantled till months later, after the Pope (don't remember his name) yielded to the King's pressure. However, he left the countries some liberty to act and, while in France they were all butchered, in Spain and Portugal, for instance, the order was dismantled but the knights weren't killed; they were allowed to join other military or monastic orders (Dan Brown wrote as though all the Templars had suffered the French end). You can find those facts in any serious book about the Templars, you don't need to be an expert in the matter. So I can only think that Brown deliberatedly twisted the History to adapt it to his theory, what takes credibility away from his thesis. I know it's fiction, but I can't like even fiction when I find background holes.

Old October 27th, 2009, 12:50 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

An American Werewolf in London -- 6/10 -- I didn't mind this film persay, but it's definitely not one of my favorites. I saw it with a friend last night. Didn't like most of the acting... it was rather over the top . But the cinematography and effects were nice (that's why it's getting a score of 6/10 instead of a 4/10).

As for the music/soundtrack to the film, it was pretty good.

Overall, I consider it a horror/comedic farce kind of movie.

For werewolf movies in general, I like the movie, Wolf, more.

That movie is more my style when it comes down to horror movies.

Not to mention, Jack Nicholson does an excellent job acting in it.

I give it an 8/10.

Also, speaking of him... I really liked him in The Witches of Eastwick. He did a wonderful job acting in that movie and it has a wonderfully creepy and spooky atmosphere about it.

I give it an 8/10 as well.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; October 27th, 2009 at 12:53 am.
Old October 27th, 2009, 2:12 am
Third Year

I watched The Killing room on Saturday. It was ok, I'd give it a 6. Not my favourite topic for a movie, but I had no idea it was about that.
Then I re-watched From within on Sunday. I really liked that movie. I also love the poster, that's why I wanted to watch it the first time. I thought it was an original idea, but a town full of crazy religious people that would break the 10 commandments just like that is pretty unbelievable to me. I give it an 8.
And I watched HBP today. I really can't rate it.

Old October 27th, 2009, 4:21 am
Seventh Year

Wes Craven's New Nightmare - It may not match the original Nightmare on Elm Street, but there's enough cleverness and dare I say wit to make it worth watching. B+

Old October 27th, 2009, 5:24 am
Queen of Apathy

The Haunting of Molly Hartley
3/10

This was one of the worst Horror movies I have seen in awhile. Terrible plot and acting.

Old October 27th, 2009, 6:39 am
Banned

I just finished watching Halloween 2 and Halloween: The Return of Michael Myers. I give the former a "B" and a "B-" for the latter. Three more films to go.

Old October 27th, 2009, 3:35 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope - 9/10

Old October 27th, 2009, 3:44 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Astro Zombies

I'm not sure how to rate this because we knew it would be pure cheese before we watched it.

But we enjoyed ourselves making fun of it Mystery Science Theater style.

Old October 27th, 2009, 4:36 pm
Queen of Apathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
I just finished watching Halloween 2 and Halloween: The Return of Michael Myers. I give the former a "B" and a "B-" for the latter. Three more films to go.
Oh nice. You doing a marathon because of Halloween coming up?

The original Halloween is a classic. I give it a 10/10.

Old October 27th, 2009, 4:55 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysme View Post

After I watch Psycho I might watch this and other Halloween classics I've never seen Since I have no other plans currently and my buddies are all at a college farther away from mine now, if my nerves can handle it then this Halloween might just be a night for scary movies.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 27th, 2009 at 4:59 pm.
Old October 27th, 2009, 5:05 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysme View Post
Oh nice. You doing a marathon because of Halloween coming up?

Yeah. I'm doing a marathon. You're right; the first one is a classic.

Old October 27th, 2009, 5:42 pm
Queen of Apathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
After I watch Psycho I might watch this and other Halloween classics I've never seen Since I have no other plans currently and my buddies are all at a college farther away from mine now, if my nerves can handle it then this Halloween might just be a night for scary movies.
The original 1978 Halloween still scares me to this day.

If you have never watched it, I highly recommend it. It has a big cult following and is easily one of my favorite horror flicks.

Old October 27th, 2009, 5:42 pm
Sixth Year

District 9 - 8.5/10
If there's ever a film that has to be seen and judged as a whole, it's this one. There are scenes that require devoted attention, and the main character is anything but likable, but as the film builds towards it's (rather fantastic I might add) finale, you see why it's the way it was. Imagine the concept of ID4 (a spaceship hovering over a city) not only done right, but with intelligence? Yes, D9 is a surprisingly very intelligent movie with a social commentary on our own humanity and racism. The aliens themselves are better executed than I've seen in any other movie.

Moon - 7/10
I was really excited for this, so I was a little bit disappointed. Rockwell's performance is fantastic and should really be considered for an oscar nom at least, the cinematography and visual effects are gorgeous (even more impressive given the 5 million dollar budget), and the soundtrack is among the best I've heard this year. I don't think the direction is weak, in fact for a debut feature, it's impressive in many areas, but I feel Jones' influences are rather obvious. The story borrows too much from Blade Runner and 2001 A Space Odyssey, this is where I was disappointed, about half way through the movie there's a certain twist dropped that made me feel like my heart sake and I literally breathed out "c'mon!" during it. The film pieces itself back together, but it's flaws still hinder the overall product of the film, and it's a shame that these flaws were so few yet so large. It's hopefully a promising debut (the director is David Bowie's son, btw), but given the quality of everything that surrounds the script, you just wish they could have put out a story that explores it's own themes deeper and would be devoid of it's borrowing from other (superior) films.

Old October 27th, 2009, 6:41 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML1991 View Post
The story borrows too much from Blade Runner and 2001 A Space Odyssey,
I haven't seen the film yet, because it is not available in the states, but could you say that those instances could be homages to Scott and Kubrick? I come across this argument a lot when I discuss films that feel like rip offs.

Old October 27th, 2009, 7:01 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
I haven't seen the film yet, because it is not available in the states, but could you say that those instances could be homages to Scott and Kubrick? I come across this argument a lot when I discuss films that feel like rip offs.
I thought the same when I had seen the comparisons, which is why I really felt let down by the certain twist in the film, because it was practically a rip-off. I wouldn't say it's a rip off entirely though, the director uses it for his own story and in a way some of it is essential, it's just when it's dropped it just feels cheap. I don't want to say much more without spoiling it, but when you see it I'd like to talk about it with you then, I wonder if you'll come out with the same impression.

Old October 27th, 2009, 8:17 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML1991 View Post
I thought the same when I had seen the comparisons, which is why I really felt let down by the certain twist in the film, because it was practically a rip-off. I wouldn't say it's a rip off entirely though, the director uses it for his own story and in a way some of it is essential, it's just when it's dropped it just feels cheap. I don't want to say much more without spoiling it, but when you see it I'd like to talk about it with you then, I wonder if you'll come out with the same impression.
I believe the film will be out on DVD in December in the states. How did you see it?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives