Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Glee

Old October 6th, 2009, 8:45 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Glee

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
Yeah, he's an awkward dancer, but it's cute that Finn's not great at something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
And somehow it makes him all the more charming!
Absolutely!

I have to admit, I really like Puck too. I hope he gets over his stereotypical jerkitude.

The singing is amazing, the dancing is really fun. The Cheerios even seemed to be enjoying the performances.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2009, 4:15 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
I have to admit, I really like Puck too. I hope he gets over his stereotypical jerkitude.
I like him, too! He's good comedy. Plus, I think a lot of his jerkitude is caused by Quinn denying that he's the father.

The only character I dislike, come to think of it, is Terri. All the other characters, even if they're "villains" like Sue, are hilarious.

Old October 7th, 2009, 5:32 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
I like him, too! He's good comedy. Plus, I think a lot of his jerkitude is caused by Quinn denying that he's the father.

The only character I dislike, come to think of it, is Terri. All the other characters, even if they're "villains" like Sue, are hilarious.
I dunno, there's that whole "cougar" thing with him.

I was pleasantly surprised when Terri relented on the big fancy house.

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old October 7th, 2009, 5:47 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
I dunno, there's that whole "cougar" thing with him.
Yeah, and the trash-canning Kurt every day. He's definitely got jerkitude on several levels, but I still like him. Like I said, I only really hate Terri. She has moments where she does something good, like relenting on the house, but it's only because now she's faking a baby!

Old October 8th, 2009, 1:58 pm
Sixth Year

Yeah, I'm not too fond of Terri either, and this week's ep proved that. She really does have trust issues and rightfully so. When Will finds out she isn't pregnant (if he does find out) she can kiss their marriage goodbye. I do think it was funny when she gave the kids decongestants and how hyper they were acting, but it still wasn't right.

I knew Emma would accept Ken's proposal, but I felt so sorry for Will. I've been rooting for them for a long time. I have nothing against Ken, but I think Will and Emma look cute together.

And now Quinn still wants to give the baby away to Terri. Wow. This is definitely going to cause some drama.

I really liked both smash ups of the songs. Those were very well done. I wonder who will win and get to choose the musical number for sectionals? I hope that comes out next week.

All in all, this was a pretty good ep for me.

Old October 8th, 2009, 3:46 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Yeah, I'm not too fond of Terri either, and this week's ep proved that. She really does have trust issues and rightfully so. When Will finds out she isn't pregnant (if he does find out) she can kiss their marriage goodbye. I do think it was funny when she gave the kids decongestants and how hyper they were acting, but it still wasn't right.
Oh, yeah, Terri dealing antihistamines was a hoot. Usually, half a dose will put me to sleep.

Quote:
I knew Emma would accept Ken's proposal, but I felt so sorry for Will. I've been rooting for them for a long time. I have nothing against Ken, but I think Will and Emma look cute together.
I thought Ken's proposal was really touching. What a marriage. She keeps her last name, they don't live together, and no one knows they are married. Then he tells her it was more than he hoped for. He's really sweet. Weird, but sweet.

Emma needs to give up on Will, though it adds interest to an already interesting show. Terri is right. The woman is poaching. She can make googly eyes at Will after he and Terri break up ... if they do.

Quote:
I really liked both smash ups of the songs. Those were very well done. I wonder who will win and get to choose the musical number for sectionals? I hope that comes out next week.
I liked the guys better. Finn was stomping ants again, but in a very cute way. The girls seemed kind of frantic.

Quote:
All in all, this was a pretty good ep for me.
Really liked it, especially when Sue told her journal she was turning 30.

The previews of next week had me rolling. Can't wait.

Old October 8th, 2009, 9:01 pm
Curse Breaker

I sort of feel sorry for Ken, but I think it's a HUGE mistake to go down the road of a fake/loveless engagement here. They're already straining with the real and fake pregnancies. What is it about Jocelyn Gilsig--she just seems attracted to truly despicable roles. She was supposed to be the heart of Boston Public (sort of an Ally for the public school system--yikes) and then got shoved to the side. Then she took that really EVIL role on Nip/Tuck. Wasn't she on one of the Law and Order franchises for an extended guest run as a detective? Whatever happened to that? It's solid work, with lots of branching or guesting possibilities and it won't pgeonhole her into a "heinous wretch" roles. Although, she does seem to be quite capable at adding flavor to "heinous wretches."

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:00 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
I thought Ken's proposal was really touching. What a marriage. She keeps her last name, they don't live together, and no one knows they are married. Then he tells her it was more than he hoped for. He's really sweet. Weird, but sweet.

Emma needs to give up on Will, though it adds interest to an already interesting show. Terri is right. The woman is poaching. She can make googly eyes at Will after he and Terri break up ... if they do.
I have to agree, Terri definitely had a point with Emma.

How is she going to hide the fact that she has Quinn's baby? Quinn is talking about maternity clothes (and everyone already knows anyway), so it will be obvious that she, at least, is pregnant.

Sue is perfect. Everything she does is fantastic!

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:30 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
I sort of feel sorry for Ken, but I think it's a HUGE mistake to go down the road of a fake/loveless engagement here. They're already straining with the real and fake pregnancies. What is it about Jocelyn Gilsig--she just seems attracted to truly despicable roles. She was supposed to be the heart of Boston Public (sort of an Ally for the public school system--yikes) and then got shoved to the side. Then she took that really EVIL role on Nip/Tuck. Wasn't she on one of the Law and Order franchises for an extended guest run as a detective? Whatever happened to that? It's solid work, with lots of branching or guesting possibilities and it won't pgeonhole her into a "heinous wretch" roles. Although, she does seem to be quite capable at adding flavor to "heinous wretches."
CSI: NY - 3 eps
Nip/Tuck - 17 eps
Law & Order - 1 ep
NYPD Blue - 5 eps

At least that's what IMDB says.

She's very good as Terri. She changes moods at the drop of a bi-polar hat and does them all well.

I'm getting irritated at Will. He tells Terri he loves her, and then gives Emma these longing looks. Finn is also sticking by his (really) pg girlfriend, but is yearning toward Rachel.

Lots of conflict in between the belly (no pun intended) laughs and the great singing.

Outside of my favorite competition shows, Glee and Bones are the only two shows I must watch.

Old October 9th, 2009, 2:57 am
Second Year

I agree that Terri is annoying, but I'm respecting her marriage with Will and I think they should stay together. But even if she had a point with Emma, I think it was really mean and I felt sorry for Emma.

Gosh! I'm excited for next week's episode! I love to hate Sue! I'm so nervous about her leading Glee next week. She reminds me of the mean, most hated PE teacher at my school, so now I'm thinking about her leading my drama class. Not a fun experience! =(

Old October 9th, 2009, 5:24 pm
Curse Breaker

Desrealda--Ah, yes. She was on NYPD Blue for a short stint. I wish she'd been asked back for their final seasons--alas, no. I guess she's developing a really odd niche--taking roles as a bunch of really unpalatable women. Not that she isn't great at it--it just seems to be a dangerous way to pigeonhole. Then again, Christine Baranski has lived off basically the same role in different settings for 25 years, so who can predict success?

You're getting irritated with Will for something he's only half-aware of and is happening because his marriage is draining the life from him?

Which goes along with my question to amanduhrae--You respect Will's marriage to Terri, a self-involved shopaholic with wildly virulent mood swings? Who treates him with less respect than her other possessions, the ones she purchases? Really? Why? The relationship seems toxic. It'd be better for both of them if it ended.

Desrealda--The Finn/Rachel thing is less explicable. Rachel is really talented and there's a core of beauty there that comes out in her singing, but her self-involvement and self-delusion seem to know no bounds.

The description of the Emma/Ken engagement in full particulars just makes me sad. Ken is this sweet awkward guy who doesn't really know how to express his feelings (he was taught not to) and he has this crush on a girl who can only see his surface because she's hung up (rightly or wrongly) on someone else. That's another relationship that either needs to change radically, or backtrack to an awkward crush. Frankly, it looks like the Emma/Will might-have-been/could-be/should-be relationship is going to be the engine of the show (for adult relationships at least). The only fractured relationship I end up rooting for is Quinn and Finn--and that's sort of by default because I think Rachel is too caught up in her own personal drama to be good for anyone. She likes Finn because he's talented and handsome and therefore good casting for her high school boyfriend in the movie of her life. That's a little warped.

Last edited by jordmundt6; October 9th, 2009 at 5:28 pm.
Old October 9th, 2009, 5:48 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Finn was stomping ants again, but in a very cute way.

Quote:
Really liked it, especially when Sue told her journal she was turning 30.
Dear Journal, if I don't get rid of Glee, I won't get my hovercraft. She is too much.

Quote:
Puck reminds me so much of my HS boyfriend. Without the singing voice and dance moves, of course.

Quote:
I have to agree, Terri definitely had a point with Emma.
She did, and I think Emma saw it too.
Quote:
How is she going to hide the fact that she has Quinn's baby? Quinn is talking about maternity clothes (and everyone already knows anyway), so it will be obvious that she, at least, is pregnant.
I like the look Quinn gave Terri, it gives me hope that she's going to spoil the whole thing and decide to come clean to Mr. Shue.

I sort of like the Will/Emma thing, and if the writers are smart they'll keep it as just flirtations. It worked for the X-Files for years. Although somehow they made Jim and Pam work on The Office, so you never know.

I do think that Will and Terri won't last, that he will find out she's faking. And how in the world has he not seen or touched her naked belly????

Last edited by HMN; October 9th, 2009 at 6:02 pm.
Old October 9th, 2009, 6:55 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Desrealda--Ah, yes. She was on NYPD Blue for a short stint. I wish she'd been asked back for their final seasons--alas, no. I guess she's developing a really odd niche--taking roles as a bunch of really unpalatable women. Not that she isn't great at it--it just seems to be a dangerous way to pigeonhole. Then again, Christine Baranski has lived off basically the same role in different settings for 25 years, so who can predict success?
I love Christine Baranski. I'll have to see what she's been up to.

Quote:
You're getting irritated with Will for something he's only half-aware of and is happening because his marriage is draining the life from him?

Which goes along with my question to amanduhrae--You respect Will's marriage to Terri, a self-involved shopaholic with wildly virulent mood swings? Who treates him with less respect than her other possessions, the ones she purchases? Really? Why? The relationship seems toxic. It'd be better for both of them if it ended.
It's for better or worse til death do us part, not until you annoy me or I find someone else that worships me more. And no, I'm not saying that divorce is never the right choice, but I am saying that Terri has taken a step in the right direction by giving up the idea of Will working for her father so they can get a big house. She's also shown that she is willing to fight for him. And, no, I'm not ignoring the fact that there is a major lie holding the marriage together.

Besides, if they split, who will we have left to hate? I can't hate Sue because she's just such a caricature of herself.

Quote:
Desrealda--The Finn/Rachel thing is less explicable. Rachel is really talented and there's a core of beauty there that comes out in her singing, but her self-involvement and self-delusion seem to know no bounds.
I think Rachel took a step in the right direction at the end of this weeks episode.

Quote:
The description of the Emma/Ken engagement in full particulars just makes me sad. Ken is this sweet awkward guy who doesn't really know how to express his feelings (he was taught not to) and he has this crush on a girl who can only see his surface because she's hung up (rightly or wrongly) on someone else. That's another relationship that either needs to change radically, or backtrack to an awkward crush. Frankly, it looks like the Emma/Will might-have-been/could-be/should-be relationship is going to be the engine of the show (for adult relationships at least). The only fractured relationship I end up rooting for is Quinn and Finn--and that's sort of by default because I think Rachel is too caught up in her own personal drama to be good for anyone. She likes Finn because he's talented and handsome and therefore good casting for her high school boyfriend in the movie of her life. That's a little warped.
Yeah, Ken is kind of a poor schlump and Emma is pretty controlling about the whole thing. Nothing unusual in that, although Emma takes it to the very, very far extreme. Look at the movie, Mrs. Skeffington. The pretty girl, the nerdy guy. She keeps him around to fetch and carry while he worships the water she thinks she walks on. It can work. Of course, in this case, it might work better if they were at least living in the same house.

It's all these extreme quirks that make the show work in between the singing and dancing. It's sort of like a comedic Twin Peaks set to music.

Quote:

And how in the world has he not seen or touched her naked belly????
I've been wondering that myself.

Old October 9th, 2009, 8:38 pm
Curse Breaker

Except, when was the last time we saw a truly nerdy football coach head over heels for this quiet little hypochondriac waif? The closest I've seen to a football nerd was Cement-Head on the Jim Belushi film Mr. Destiny. Don't ask.

Okay, I believe in the vows--which is why I hope to marry for life and spend the rest of my life with an equal life partner. But there are sound reasons for divorce. I really think this is one of them. Again, from what I see, she sees him as a possession, not a person and that's not healthy in a marriage--not at all. Are we sure she's given up the job-behind-a-desk plan or is she just tabling it for now under extreme pressure. I'll have to take another look at Rachel.

Terri does provide someone to hate, but she can be just as shrill, just as much an emotional rollercoaster as a bitter less-than-stable ex as she is in her current role as the controlling wife. Barbara Bosson made cashed a pretty nice paycheck for YEARS providing a blueprint for such a character on Hillstreet Blues (Fay Furillo). At times, with all the zany insanity and unrequited or forbidden attraction it feels like a cross between Wicker Park as a comedy and Love Stinks! the musical.

Because Jane Lynch is so good (and likeable in almost everything in a strange way), Sue becomes more Richard Fish than Frank Burns. It is rather odd.

ETA--Christine Baranski is currently working as a recurring role on The Good Wife, playing a backstabbing shark of a partner at the firm where Margulies character went back to work after 13 years.

Old October 10th, 2009, 1:38 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Wow, serious discussion here. I will read more fully and reply again, but this just popped into my head... In New York State you can only get divorced for 2 reasons. Adultery and Abandonment. Weird but true.

Old October 10th, 2009, 3:38 am
Curse Breaker

I don't think that's accurate. I think physical abuse is pretty standard throughout the nation.

Old October 10th, 2009, 3:43 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Wow, serious discussion here. I will read more fully and reply again, but this just popped into my head... In New York State you can only get divorced for 2 reasons. Adultery and Abandonment. Weird but true.
That was the case for a long time. I think NY was one of the last to expand the grounds for divorce. As it stands now:

(1) The cruel and inhuman treatment of the plaintiff by the defendant such that the conduct of the defendant so endangers the physical or mental well being of the plaintiff as renders it unsafe or improper for the plaintiff to cohabit with the defendant.

(2) The abandonment of the plaintiff by the defendant for a period of one or more years.

(3) The confinement of the defendant in prison for a period of three or more consecutive years after the marriage of plaintiff and defendant.

(4) The commission of an act of adultery, provided that adultery for the purposes of articles ten, eleven, and eleven-A of this chapter, is hereby defined as the commission of an act of sexual intercourse, oral sexual conduct or anal sexual conduct, voluntarily performed by the defendant, with a person other than the plaintiff after the marriage of plaintiff and defendant. Oral sexual conduct and anal sexual conduct include, but are not limited to, sexual conduct as defined in subdivision two of section 130.00 and subdivision three of section 130.20 of the penal law.

Old October 10th, 2009, 4:10 am
Hogwarts Graduate

The mailman cracks me up.

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old October 10th, 2009, 2:05 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
The mailman cracks me up.
The mailman?

Old October 10th, 2009, 2:32 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
The mailman?
Finn and his ardor-calming memory.

(I thought I'd try to get off the heavy divorce topic)

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives