Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Glee

Old June 4th, 2009, 3:42 am
Second Year

Glee

Did anyone catch this amazing show? It aired on Fox a week or so ago after American Idol, and it was the premeire for the actual show, which will air in the fall. It starred Lea Michelle, Matthew Morrison, Jane Lynch, and a lot of others, and Kristin Chenoweth is slated to appear later.

I absolutely loved it! It was so adorable, and the whole cast had amazing voices! Lea Michele is like a mini Idina Menzel! :P

- Walt Disney

~~
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2009, 9:46 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: Glee

This is okay--but for my Chenoweth fix, I'd rather ABC or USA re-upped Pushing Daisies. They've only shown us bits of two episodes and they already seem to be repeating themselves. They've had the cheer coach do two office heart-to-hearts with this earnest Glee leader and they're almost carbon copies of each other. They have to learn to tell more than five jokes to have a successful comedy, even one with a few serious overtones--of course, what do I know--by that logic, Two and a Half Men and According to Jim should have died out long ago.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:35 pm
Fifth Year

I loved the pilot! I adore Jane Lynch and just the few lines she had were absolutely hilarious (as was her murderous look at the glee club at the end! ) I even bought their version of Don't Stop Believin on iTunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
of course, what do I know--by that logic, Two and a Half Men and According to Jim should have died out long ago.
Amen to that. I've only seen the pilot but I do hope the first season does really well.

Glee definitely reminds me of Pushing Daisies though - highly critically acclaimed, the pilot released months before as a preview - and now Pushing Daisies is cancelled. Glee could end up going down the same path (although it would most likely be due to a drop of viewers, not a drop in quality).

Ron and Hermione in Deathly Hallows

Dobby's large, pointed ears were now sticking out from beneath what looked like all the hats Hermione had ever knitted; he
was wearing one on top of the other, so that his head seemed elongated by two or three feet, and on the very topmost
bobble sat Hedwig, hooting serenely and obviously cured.
Old June 5th, 2009, 12:27 am
Curse Breaker

Again--Glee's a nice little show, but the creativity seems to stall a little bit--Jane Lynch's scenes with the show's lead seem to be the same scene redone several times. I think Pushing Daisies was an exceptional show that got dropped because they refused to promote it. The quality definitely didn't drop.

Old June 5th, 2009, 10:38 pm
Fifth Year

Well, it is a pilot, and pilots often suck. Even some of the greatest shows out there have weak pilots.

Oh and I wasn't saying the Pushing Daisies dropped in quality, not at all.

Dobby's large, pointed ears were now sticking out from beneath what looked like all the hats Hermione had ever knitted; he
was wearing one on top of the other, so that his head seemed elongated by two or three feet, and on the very topmost
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:45 pm
Curse Breaker

I guess what I meant about the Jane Lynch scenes is that she plays her office scenes like they're all the same scene. The high school hierarchy one from the pilot gets a carbon copy later when she demonstrates crushing the self esteem of the Glee kids with one of the competitive cheer trophies from her wall case. Her conversation with the football stud's ex goes along the same lines. Now, she plays them very well, and is deliciously self-involved, scary and funny in them, but they're all the same scene. It's rather like what they did to Portia De Rossi sticking her on Better Off Ted with a one-note character and she poured everything she could into those cheap lines--with the result that she ended up being funny all by herself on a show that's supposed to be intelligently humorous throughout. Ms. Lynch has a similar, but less severe problem on Glee. Other parts of the show are funny. The singing/synching whatever is good--but her best scenes are all variations on the same scene. In this case, I have to blame the writing because her delivery is excellent. Additionally, her character isn't the worst off. Ms. Gilsig is being paid recurring money to play a shrill nonsensical shrew that on most shows would appear in the pilot and then disappear (break-up, divorce, infidelity, mental committment, Acme safe on the head, etc.).

Belle--Sorry I bristled about Pushing Daisies. The way that sentence is structured, you leave readers with the impression that Pushing Daisies was canceled due to a drop in show quality--thus differentiating its fate from what you see as the likely fate of Glee.

Old June 6th, 2009, 4:59 am
Fifth Year

I like the one chick that is in Two and a Half Men as a therapist a few times, she is hell funny...but I have yet to watch it going to on hulu...sometime.

Old June 6th, 2009, 7:26 pm
Third Year

Does anyone know when a new episode is up?

I wish i could be in the DA.
Proud supporter of Dobby, Enemy of Bellatrix

~92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.~
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:39 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyRocks View Post
Does anyone know when a new episode is up?
I think the show isn't really gunna air until fall...that is what the person said who made the thread.
They just showed the pilot most likely to get more viewers because it was on After American Idol...

For the exact time slot for this show....you can go to Fox.com I am pretty sure they have schedules for some shows...idk about the fall one though.

Old June 6th, 2009, 10:54 pm
Third Year

Thanks!

I wish i could be in the DA.
Proud supporter of Dobby, Enemy of Bellatrix

~92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.~
Old June 8th, 2009, 2:36 am
Formerly Known as 82

I watched the pilot episode. I think it has potential but it definitely needs to take this summer to polish and work on the story line. I disliked how the characters were so stereotyped. I know to a certain extent there are those divisions in high schools today but not to that extreme. Bring more reality into the series and balance it with flamboyant singing and dancing otherwise it's a little too fruity to make it far.

Just here to mess with your brain, it's all very innocent I swear *Pokes*
Old June 8th, 2009, 4:33 am
First Year

This show looks sooo funny i can not wait to watch this hahaha.

Gryffindor
Old June 8th, 2009, 9:02 pm
Fifth Year

Um, just outa curiosity, what does Glee mean?

Old June 8th, 2009, 10:58 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathplce4myhed View Post
Um, just outa curiosity, what does Glee mean?
Well there's the dictionary definition of being happy, but the title of the show is referring to Glee clubs/music: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glee_(music)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita View Post
I disliked how the characters were so stereotyped. I know to a certain extent there are those divisions in high schools today but not to that extreme.
That might be the point though. It kind of reminded me of Mean Girls.

Last edited by BelleSnowyOwl; June 8th, 2009 at 11:00 pm.
Old June 10th, 2009, 5:17 pm
Curse Breaker

Mean Girls, Clueless, Whatever It Takes, etc. etc. There's some fun there, but not so much fun I'll be tuning in--as I said before, some of the characters seem to repeat the same scene in two or three episodes because the writers can't be bothered to think up genuinely new situations. That's not a good thing for a freshman show.

Old June 10th, 2009, 9:05 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleSnowyOwl View Post
Well there's the dictionary definition of being happy, but the title of the show is referring to Glee clubs/music: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glee_(music)
ok..I didn't go to a normal high school that had clubs really or sports(only like 60 kids in the school! anyway! )..so...thanksss!

Old June 17th, 2009, 8:53 pm
Sixth Year

It looks promising to me. I can't wait to see what else they come up with.

Old July 18th, 2009, 3:26 pm
First Year

I watched the pilot and I was impressed by it. A lot of the characters are great. I love the really flamboyant gay guy. I love his line "Is she going to diva out after every rehearsal" or something like that. I can't wait till it returns in the Fall it's one of my most anticipated shows!

We reign supreme!
Old September 11th, 2009, 3:27 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Just discovered this show. I hope they can continue with the momentum they have after the pilot and season opener.

I love the characters they've developed - totally stereotypical yet funny and engaging. The dialogue is great too, very fast and so much in there. I can see watching the episodes more than once.

The singing is way too good, but it totally works for the show.

Old September 11th, 2009, 3:32 am
Second Year

I watched it last night and really liked it. I liked their "Push It" dance and how the principal was dancing to it. And I like the preview for upcoming episodes. "You're not trying hard enough!" "At what?" "Walking!" (to the kid in the wheelchair). Haha, so wrong.

Hufflepuff

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives