Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

Best Anime Dubs

Old February 25th, 2009, 6:30 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Best Anime Dubs

Since there's a thread about worst anime dubs, I figured it'd be interesting to see which dubs people felt were really good, so post away and don't forget to give reasons as to why you feel those dubs are good.

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2009, 9:48 am
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

Re: Best Anime Dubs

I have to say that I liked the English dubs on Elfen Lied just as much as the original Japanese. I've seen the entire series in Japanese and several episodes done in English as well. I found the tone of the characters remained the same, and they seemed to have found similar actors for the parts. In fact, the first time I watched it, it was in a mix of English and Japanese dubbed episodes and I honestly didn't notice until I went to watch it a second time. That is what speaks the most to me about that series being dubbed well in English.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old March 2nd, 2009, 2:09 am
Third Year

I love the Dubs and American voice actors. I've always preferred them as opposed to the subs because I don't unerstand Japanese humour plus I find the female Japanese voices too squeaky and high pitched.

My favourites are:
Rurouni Kenshin
Bleach
Naruto
Yu Gi Oh
Yu Gi Oh GX
Ouran High School Host Club
Full Metal Alchemist

Old March 2nd, 2009, 7:48 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Okay, here's what I feel are "best dubs".

Noir: It's pretty close to its original and I like the original. For the most part, everything was left unchanged...just the language was changed for us to understand it. The accents for the dub are pretty goofy, but, it's more distinguishable in the dub, since this series took place in France anyway and had a lot of French and English characters.

Azumanga Daioh: A comedy series. Just as Noir, pretty much nothing was changed. The voices were okay too. Of course they had to change some things because some jokes wouldn't have translated over well (like the jokes about how Osakans are or the riddles that Ayumu [Osaka] would come up with), but they worked with what the writers came up with.

Gunsmith Cats: This is just an OVA, so it might not count entirely since it's so short. I didn't find much wrong with it. I like both its English version and its Japanese version. I just wish they'd given this series a full on series. The only thing that suited the characters for the dub, were the voices, since the characters are American and the series takes place in Chicago.

Ronin Warriors: Even though this is an earlier series, I felt that the adaptation from the original was well done. Hardly anything was cut from the series. Even most of the music was kept, not counting the opening and the endings. The voice acting was pretty good too. They even kept most of the main characters' names, minus Shin (Sai), Touma (Rowen), Nasuti (Mia), and Jun (Yuli). This is one series where I like both its original and its dub.

Samurai Pizza Cats: I know, surprising, but I only like this "dub" and feel it can fit for a "best" because it was pretty much all original. The show was just so comical and enjoyable for me. The voices were cool too. It was annoying to listen to. I like the original too. The puns are what made the show, imo. If you treat this entirely as a stand alone type series and don't compare it to the original (Kyatto Ninden Teyandee), and like randomness, I'm sure most would enjoy it. Of course, for the original, some of the jokes used in there, wouldn't have translated over all that well so Amereican references suit it better.

.hack//SIGN: Instead of getting all detailed, going to pretty much mention what I said before. VERY close to the original. No character changes, no story changes, the voices were even close.

Cowboy Bebop: This is a series that is good in both Japanese and English, imo. For the most part, hardly anything was changed or dropped when shown on television ('cept for one thing that comes to mind...but that was sex-oriented, iirc). The voices were also well done for the dub.

Gundam Wing: Odd choice, as this show did have cuts in it for its dub...like that disturbing scene with the doctors that Duo walked in on. o_O I just felt the voicing and stuff was good for it, original music, etc. Only thing that could've been a bit better was Heero's character. He was a bit too unemotional. He didn't seem to lack that much emotion for the original.

That's all that's coming to mind for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunXia View Post
I love the Dubs and American voice actors. I've always preferred them as opposed to the subs because I don't unerstand Japanese humour
Seems that would only be a problem if you're watching an actual comedy series that relies on pop-culture references, like Crayon Shin-chan. I know they changed a lot of stuff with that for its dub because of the time period, for the most part, and the fact that they usually referenced Japanese pop culture. So like a joke about the Prime Minister (at the time; early 90s) wouldn't work in 2009 in America.
Quote:
My favourites are:
Rurouni Kenshin
Bleach
Naruto
Yu Gi Oh
Yu Gi Oh GX
Ouran High School Host Club
Full Metal Alchemist
Ironically, not counting Yu-gi-oh, Ouran High School Host Club, and Full Metal Alchemist (since I've never seen these series in general and couldn't get into Rurouni Kenshin and didn't care for Yu-gi-oh [oh, and I hated Yugi's voice and Yami Yugi's voice from the little I do remember]), I can't stand the dubs of the other shows you mentioned because of cuts and the voices for the characters since they don't suit them if comparing it to the original, especially Hitsugaya from Bleach. Paku Romi pulls off doing his voice very well for the original, imo. He actually sounds the age he resembles. For here, the voice, imo, is much too old for him. He sounds too much like an adult. For me, ever since I was young, it was always a slight pet peeve. If a boy is 10 or looks 10 or whatever, he should sound like he's 10. That type of thing. Even when I used to watch The Magic School bus when young, I hated the fact Carlos sounded so old...even though, it was expected. The boy voicing him aged, the character didn't. ^^

That aside, you didn't really explain why these are considered your "best dubs". What makes them good?

Last edited by SSJ_Jup81; March 2nd, 2009 at 7:51 am.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 9:40 am
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
Cowboy Bebop: This is a series that is good in both Japanese and English, imo. For the most part, hardly anything was changed or dropped when shown on television ('cept for one thing that comes to mind...but that was sex-oriented, iirc). The voices were also well done for the dub.
Oh, how in the world do I always forget about Cowboy BeBop? It was really the first anime I got into, really loved, and continue to watch. I think I watch it at least two times a year.

I admit to not having watched it in Japanese, but I absolutely adore the English dub cast and how they portrayed their characters. Spike especially always gives me happy giggles. I never felt that it was overdone or that the voices didn't match the character, the personality of each person in the show. I never watched it on TV so I'm not sure what was dropped that you are referring to (do you know if it was included in the English version at all and just edited for TV?), but I've always felt that the voices match the actions in a way that often seems to be lacking in dubs. Ed, of course, comes to mind.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old March 3rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Third Year

Quote:
That aside, you didn't really explain why these are considered your "best dubs". What makes them good?
Well I like Bleach because for me, while reading the Manga, I can easily place Johnny Yong Bosch's voice as Ichigo. For me, he captures the essence of Ichigo's nature. I like Michelle Ruff as Rukia because I feel she's great at pulling off both her upbeat and tough episodes along with her philosophical lines, exampled at the beginning of the series, which drew me in immediately.
I dislike how Ukitake is presented during the Anime Shinigami Cup, I prefer his more serious side in the english version. I prefer how in the English version, Hitsugaya sounds more like he's sighing in exasperation as opposed to screaming Rangiku's name like a little girl.
It all comes down to personal preference in reality, both Japanese and the dubs have good and bad actors and I just prefer watching my own language and humor styles.
You hate them, I don't, simple as.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:13 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

But Hitsugaya is like that in the original too. It's his personality and character. He's always sighing out in exasperation over something. Either way, voice wise, the dub just doesn't seem to suit him. The voice, as I pointed out, is just much too old for him for the dub. He's supposed to resemble a 12 year old boy, not an adult male. He should sound like a 12 year old boy. I could see someone like Mona Marshall voicing someone like Hitsugaya and doing a better job than the current voice actor (and I'm only referring to the sound, not acting particularly). That's usually why they have women doing the voices of pre-pubescent boys and young boys in general, especially if it's a character that's not going to age. It's more realistic, or either they might get a child to voice the character to make it realistic. Like the Peanuts specials, children always voiced the characters. When the voices changed for the actual actors, they were replaced with more kids since all of the characters are 8 and younger. An adult male doing an 8 year old boy's voice, wouldn't sound right.

Hmm, Beyblade comes to mind too. I didn't care for Rei's dub voice (ironically, same guy who voiced Carlos in The Magic School Bus), Takao (Tyson was his dub name), or Kai out of the main characters. I liked Max's dub voice and Kyouju/Manabu (Kenny). Daichi wasn't bad either. He was a little kid and sounded like one. I liked them because it sounded natural and realistic. They sounded their ages, and even though the voice actors doing those two (Max & Kenny) aged, it didn't matter, since the actual characters were aging as well. They were kids when doing the voices.

And that's why I have a problem with Hitsugaya's voice actor for the dub. He sounds like an adult. Hitsugaya technically isn't meant to be one. For the most part, the only character for Bleach's dub I do like voice wise is Ichigo. It was pretty much a "take it or leave it" with the other characters I heard, but just hated Hitsugaya's voice with an extreme passion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
Oh, how in the world do I always forget about Cowboy BeBop? It was really the first anime I got into, really loved, and continue to watch. I think I watch it at least two times a year.
Ironic, same here. I do the same with Gundam Wing.
Quote:
I admit to not having watched it in Japanese, but I absolutely adore the English dub cast and how they portrayed their characters. Spike especially always gives me happy giggles. I never felt that it was overdone or that the voices didn't match the character, the personality of each person in the show. I never watched it on TV so I'm not sure what was dropped that you are referring to (do you know if it was included in the English version at all and just edited for TV?), but I've always felt that the voices match the actions in a way that often seems to be lacking in dubs. Ed, of course, comes to mind.
I'm pretty sure they edited some stuff for the show when on television. I've never seen the entire series on television. I've only seen it all the way through on DVD.

Last edited by SSJ_Jup81; March 3rd, 2009 at 10:22 pm.
Old April 13th, 2009, 3:00 am
Second Year

I'm watching BLEACH in three languages: Spanish (my original language), English, and Japanse (with english subs).

I sometimes get confused when I watch a Japanese episode and then follow the next one in Spanish with a radical change of voice. I like the titles they got (calling themselves by their surnames if they are not really good friends) in the Japanese version which is deleted in the English and Spanish versions.

But still, even though I get confused I like the challenge of watching the series in three languages.

Proud Member of Gryffindor
Old May 16th, 2009, 8:45 am
Third Year

I'm starting to rewatch my old anime series, so this is probably the freshest perspective I can give ^^ Oh, and just to get it out of the way, Cowboy Bebop has an absolutely amazing dub and is one of the best out there. Now:

Elfen Lied - Dub was really good; the only thing that bugged me was that sometimes Nana and Mayu sounded too much alike. Also, Luci Christian (Mariko) being the only one who can't pronounce her own character's name right (& I usually don't complain about this, but it stuck out like a sore thumb since she's like the only one saying "mary-koh" instead of "mah-ri-koh").

Pretear - Eh. VA-wise, there were mostly gems, but the actual script and acting was odd and a little uneven on some of the VAs' parts. It's not the best series anyway, so I give props for them trying to work with what they had ^_^;

Hanadan - Very good. Better than the Japanese cast, imo. The anime itself is kind of weak, but at least the English cast really try to work with it - the Japanese VA for Tsukasa, for example, takes Tsukasa's occasional 'stiff' attitude to a whole new level as he ALWAYS sounds flat and bored. The english VA, on the other hand, has an awesome range and I love how he can switch from "Authority-Tsukasa" to "Silly-Kasa" to "Soft/Gentle-Kasa" almost effortlessly without making it seem OOC. I only have 7 volumes, so so-far Rui is the only weak link to the English cast.

Case Closed - I'll admit it, I love it. The main cast is awesome and sounds very comfortable in their roles, and the suspects-of-the-day are usually really good. Though some of the script/storytelling tweaks sometimes make me go "er?" ('The Stalker' episode coming to mind), there are many awesome one-liners than my cousin and I still can quote out of the blue without watching the episodes.

And 2 shows I'm just starting & watching on TV (seems the new cable comes with the Funi Channel)..

Sasami Magical Girl Club: Maybe I'm a bit biased, but the casting choice makes me go "Er? Were they really looking for the best VA for the part, or just picking out of their VA pool?" However, I actually like Alison Viktorin as Sasami - it oddly works, and doesn't make me constantly think "Conan Conan Conan" like her other role in another funi show that I can't remember the name of Luci Christian as Washu is blasphemy, however

xxxHolic: I've only seen like 2 episodes, but seems like a good cast. Keredomo....I haaate the lead guy in all the shows I've heard him play in. I'm probably alone in this, but his voice/acting just seriously grates xD

Update as I finish more series... Lain and Petite Princess Yucie are probably next

You've got to make the effort, and love every moment of it
Old June 17th, 2009, 9:52 am
First Year

I prefer the English dub of Fullmetal Alchemist to the original version.

And other than Hitsugaya's voice, I love the Bleach dub. All the voices fit the characters so well. Especially Ichigo. Johnny's voice is perfect for him!

I'm really happy with how the dub of OHSHC turned out too! So much better than I had expected.

Old June 17th, 2009, 10:43 pm
Third Year

Yeah Ouran High School Host Club turned out really well, I love Vic Mignona as Tamaki!!

And i actually like Steve Staley as Hitsugaya, it makes him sound like he's trying to sound older and because he's so young, is always trying to stay under control!! I despise his Japanese voice!!

Old August 20th, 2009, 1:37 am
Third Year

I say Fruits Basket, I like ADV Saiyuki dub, Rurouni Kenshin, and for some reason Yu Yu Hakusho keeps popping in my head.

Oh yeah OutLaw Star

Old August 20th, 2009, 7:21 am
Registered Animagus

The only anime I watch with dubs is Fullmetal Alchemist and Hellsing. While the Japanese voices for Hellsing are better than the American ones, I think the American ones still capture the characters quite nicely. As FMA, I find the Japanese/American voices to be quite similar and the characters don't lose their charm (as I find most do) in the transition.
Naruto and Death Note... biggest crimes against anime dubbing, but that's for another thread.

Old September 20th, 2009, 2:32 pm
First Year

Death Note had the best english dub, and the Funi dub of DBZ was pretty good.

Old October 28th, 2009, 10:29 pm
First Year

I think the German dub of Hellsing is brilliant. X 1999 and Wolf's Rain also have nice German dubs imo. Some of my favourite voice actors are in there.
The German dub of Death Note is.. okay but not great. I think nothing beats Death Note in Japanese (also heard the English dub which is okay imo. English is not my first language so it's difficult to judge the dub.)

Old November 11th, 2009, 8:41 pm
Sixth Year

Some of my favourite dubs are Azumanga Daioh, Full Metal Panic! and Cowboy Bebop (which to me is just better suited to American voices than Japanese because of the wild west mood). Some of the Disney Ghibli dubs have been really good too.

Does anyone else remember when the BBC dubbed Urusei Yatsura? I can't remember how many episodes they did but it was pretty funny and used British actors and comedians like Matt Lucas. I also used to have a video of Catgirl Nuku Nuku dubbed by a British company which was pretty funny to see as they used regional voice actors.

Old January 11th, 2010, 1:36 pm
Registered Animagus

My favourite anime series is Black Lagoon and it also happens to have an outstanding dub. I'd go so far as to say it sounds better with the American actors than the Japanese ones, probably because most of the characters aren't actually Japanese.

Something I was thinking about while watching it though... how much humour is translated in dubs? This struck me in one particular episode in an exchange between an Irishman, a Vietnamese woman and a Chinese-American (Revy) woman. The Vietnamese woman and Revy have a friendly rivalry. In the English version the Vietnamese woman speaks with a very heavy accent and speaks broken English which Revy makes fun of her for and calls her "Chinglish" (which the woman takes offense to but I assume Revy can sort of get away with it since she's Asian herself). I was watching it with dubs but also with the subtitles on and "Chinglish" was translated as "yes I can lady" which is not even close to the meaning. Their whole exchange is hilarious in English and the humour is completely lost in the original Japanese voices and in the subtitles. The American voices also fit the characters more (and the actors are better general IMO) as well. Plus, having a very Irish character speaking in Japanese is very strange. It too loses all its humour. Does anybody know if this is common? It's the first time I've come across it, but it's also the first time I've really gotten into a series which has mostly non-Japanese characters.

Old January 29th, 2010, 5:50 am
First Year

My most favorite dub would have to be Cowboy Bebop. I'm a harsh critic when it comes to dubbing because for the most part, I feel like the voice over actors don't really care to be there. In the case of Cowboy Bebop though, I feel the English voice overs outdid those of the original Japanese cast. Spike, Faye and Ed seem to fit perfectly in the American version. Where as in the Japanese version, I don't feel like Spike was captured how he was meant to be.

"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure"
Proud to be a Ravenclaw

My wand: Holly, Unicorn hair, 10 and a half inches, springy.
Old February 6th, 2011, 7:50 pm
Second Year

The two animes I always watch dubbed in english are Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. Disney outdid themselves with those dubs - they are fantastic, superior to the original japanese versions in my opinion. The voice cast fit the characters perfectly and gave a much more emotional performance (the only exception is Billy Crystal as Calcifer, he was a little too bland for me which is a shame because he did a marvelous performance as Mike in Monsters Inc). The fact that Howl's Moving Castle is also set in a english-speaking country is a bonus.

I also quite like the original Digimon dub for two reasons: number one is because I grew up with it and two is the fact that I thought the voices were a lot more fitting and less annoying than the japanese voices. If the dub kept the original music and had a script that closely resembled the japanese one, it would've had a brilliant dub in my opinion.

I think the dub for Naruto is... ok. I personally think that most, but not all of the english voices suit the characters more than the japanese voices, but they fail to capture the emotion in the story - the only exceptions are the dubs for Itachi and Sasuke - the actors for them are fantastic.

The dubs for Death Note, Ghost in the Shell and the Funimation dubs for One Piece and Dragonball Z are very good as well.

Old February 7th, 2011, 10:48 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
My favourite anime series is Black Lagoon and it also happens to have an outstanding dub. I'd go so far as to say it sounds better with the American actors than the Japanese ones, probably because most of the characters aren't actually Japanese.

Something I was thinking about while watching it though... how much humour is translated in dubs? This struck me in one particular episode in an exchange between an Irishman, a Vietnamese woman and a Chinese-American (Revy) woman. The Vietnamese woman and Revy have a friendly rivalry. In the English version the Vietnamese woman speaks with a very heavy accent and speaks broken English which Revy makes fun of her for and calls her "Chinglish" (which the woman takes offense to but I assume Revy can sort of get away with it since she's Asian herself). I was watching it with dubs but also with the subtitles on and "Chinglish" was translated as "yes I can lady" which is not even close to the meaning. Their whole exchange is hilarious in English and the humour is completely lost in the original Japanese voices and in the subtitles. The American voices also fit the characters more (and the actors are better general IMO) as well. Plus, having a very Irish character speaking in Japanese is very strange. It too loses all its humour. Does anybody know if this is common? It's the first time I've come across it, but it's also the first time I've really gotten into a series which has mostly non-Japanese characters.

Yes I think a lot gets lost in translation and a good translator/ writing team will be able to adapt it to have the same vibe. I haven't seen the example you mention but it may well be that 'yes I can lady' has some other meaning- perhaps a word which sounds similar, or some other cultural meaning we couldn't understand without being fluent in the language. For a good example of how translators have to translate jokes it is worth reading through the booklets which came with Azumanga Daioh because they go into quite some detail about it. It's a very joke-heavy show with a lot of puns, and a lot of them wouldn't work with a literal translation so they had to change a lot of things to have them make sense for an English speaker. For the things which they couldn't really change they included an explanation in the booklet so that audiences could understand. Overall it was very well translated, but quite some feat! Another translation (albeit not manga/ anime) which is famous for being done really well is the Asterix comic book series which manages to retain a lot of the original humour, in lesser translators hands it would probably not have worked.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime