Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

Depressing anime you like? This is not an emo thread!

Old January 8th, 2009, 5:10 am
First Year

Depressing anime you like? This is not an emo thread!

No, I'm not emo, goth, or a crazy dude with psychotic fantasies about pain and suffering. I'm a regular guy who enjoys a good story, regardless of genre.

Now that that's out of the way, are than any anime you like that you have found particulary depressing, but also thought-provoking? Here's my list.

1. Grave of the Fireflies - This is an amazing anime that, although the box says 8 and up, I'd probably only show it to kids old enough to handle the themes. It's a true story of a couple of kids during WW2. It really makes one think about war, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried a lot when I saw it. I showed it to my brother and he cried himself to sleep that night, but no one I've met has ever regretted watching it.

2. Barefoot Gen - This is another true story from WW2, particularly the bombing of Hiroshima. I definately don't recommend it to everyone. It's graphic, painful, and disturbing. I barely made it through the whole movie, and although I'm glad to have watched it, I probably won't ever sit through it again. For anyone who has studied the atomic bombing of Japan, read the eyewitness accounts, etc., you'll find that the film is spot-on. Don't let the corny character renditions fool you - it's painful.

As a side note, there's also a drama, and that's not as bad.

3. Saikano - This is more introspective than depressing. It's an apocalyptic anime that made me think. It is disturbing, and I kind of skipped some scenes. It's definately not for young kids, and one of the death sequences is particularly difficult to watch. The live-action movie isn't as thought-provoking, nor is it as emotionally engaging, but for anyone who wants to see but probably can't, the movie is a good alternative.

4. Paranoia Agent - Not so much depressing as mind-warping. Very good series.

Okay, I'm done. I know there's more, but I can't remember any titles!

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2009, 6:53 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Re: Depressing anime you like? This is not an emo thread!

Grave of the Fireflies is one of my favourite movies. It's great and yes sad.

I tried to watch Paranoid Agent, but I don't like it much.

-----

One that is think that also fits here is Jin-Roh.

There are for sure more but I can't think of more at the moment.

The End of the Dream.
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:16 pm
Fourth Year

... X/1999
It's an end of the world type story.. it's really good.. Very depressing, yet has a rather deep message..
it's about a battle for the planet... If the Seals win, humanity gets to live, if the Harbingers win, Humanity dies, but the earth survives.

When injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty.
Old January 11th, 2009, 1:04 am
Fourth Year

The 2006 version of Kanon trumps all, especially the
Spoiler: show
Makoto
arc.

Ef- A Tale of Memories, and the second season, Tale of Melodies, were pretty good too.

Old January 17th, 2009, 8:12 am
Sixth Year

I also liked "Grave of the Fireflies", but the sadest Anime I like is called "Air" Yep great stuff. Very sad, but not really all at the same time.

Omi-I see that Jack Spicer has not shown up to a battle that he is most likely to lose!
JS-Wrong again! I show up to all the Battles I'm most likely to lose!
Wuya-Do you even think before you speak!?!
Xiaolin Showdown
Old March 3rd, 2009, 5:45 pm
Third Year

I found Code Gaess to be extremely depressing but it was well written and original for me.

Old March 21st, 2009, 12:10 am
Second Year

Come on!!
Neon Genesis Evangelion wins the major price of the depressing animes.
I think it's because the three main characters have some...NO...MANY emotional problems.

Proud Member of Gryffindor
Old July 12th, 2009, 2:27 am
First Year

Air, Clannad, Kanon and Ef- A Tale of Melodies; They all had their sad moments but they still had really good storylines.

----------
"And I've always thought Fred and I should've got E in everything,
because we exceeded expectations just by turning up for the exams."

Old July 25th, 2009, 1:17 pm
Registered Animagus

Elfen Lied was quite depressing, especially towards the end but cant say I've seen many others.

Old November 19th, 2009, 8:05 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroi_shi View Post
... X/1999
It's an end of the world type story.. it's really good.. Very depressing, yet has a rather deep message..
it's about a battle for the planet... If the Seals win, humanity gets to live, if the Harbingers win, Humanity dies, but the earth survives.
Yes, I agree. It's a beautiful anime, and very depressing. The plot is also very interesting, because there is this huge conflict/decission that has to be made.
All in all it's just an impressing anime imo.

Elfen Lied is pretty depressing, too. Lucy's past was depressing, Mariko's story is depressing, everything is just really tragic. Only Yuka was extremely annoying imo. Why was she even there ? To me, she was totally unnessecary and way too whiny. Maybe she was just there as a contrast with her "normal" problems to all the other really tragic fates.

Wolf's Rain was also depressing towards the ending.

Old November 19th, 2009, 9:50 pm
Sixth Year

I loved the way that X/1999 didn't really have bad guys, and that they both wanted to 'save the world' but in totally different ways. The wrong side won in my opinion though

For sad anime I have to agree with Grave of the Fireflies, it's such an emotional film. Barefoot Gen is too although the youth and optimism of the main character stops it being overly depressing. The manga is very good too- I've only read the first 4 books but it is a really eye opening story.

Mariko's background in Elfen Lied was very tragic, and the puppy scene with Lucy made me cry like a baby, but it was actually Nana who I felt for the most.

Now and Then, Here and There is a very brutal and tragic anime series about war in a dystopian world and I'd recommend it for anyone who likes the series and films mentioned above.

Old November 20th, 2009, 2:52 am
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

Can I mention Jin Roh in here? That movie made me cry. I found it to be so sad, but I like it too much not to watch it again.

Also, the last few episodes of Cowboy BeBop depress me. The end especially never fails to move me. Elfen Lied was the same way for me, as well.

Maybe I just haven't seen too many depressing animes. I don't know.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old November 20th, 2009, 5:20 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
Maybe I just haven't seen too many depressing animes. I don't know.
No, some animes really are depressing. I think the Japanese really have a sense of drama and tragedy.
Besides, I think Death Note was kind of depressing too. In the beginning we see Light as this smart boy who is disappointed by humanity and wants to make the world a better place, and at the end nothing is left of him and he is totally insane.
Spoiler: show
I wanted him to die, because he killed L (), and imo his future was hopeless anyway but when it happened I felt quite depressed, because it was so tragic.
It's not a depressing anime in general but I think it is really tragic to see what can become of people when you give them power.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 5:20 pm
Banned

Gantz:] Because in a warped way it reflected reality, minus the aliens. However the view of things seemed real.

Jin-Roh: Pretty much the same reasons as Gantz.

Saikano: Enough said here.

Gunslinger Girls: Some of the stories of how the girls got there, for example, having your parents try to kill you for insurence money is really depressing.

Two that don't depress me are Wolf's Rain and X/1999. Yes, people die but they reflect the world that we are making and in a metaphorical sense (especially Wolf's Rain). They talk about hope for a future, something I sometimes doubt that we have. All I wish for sometimes is a chance, a hope, that somebody will get through the next 100 years or so. Looking around, very often the odds don't seem very good.

Last edited by Lunatic; December 3rd, 2009 at 8:14 pm.
Old December 11th, 2009, 6:04 pm
Second Year

I haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies yet.
Judging by you all it seems like it is pretty good so I'll have to get on that one.

I really enjoy .hack//SIGN.
It seems depressing to me.
The character's all have there real life problems that you learn about.
...and you can kind of relate. Understanding that they play the world for a place to escape.

Everyone needs an escape I think.

Excellent anime show!

Old January 1st, 2010, 10:39 pm
Registered Animagus

I don't think Black Lagoon in itself is a depressing anime, but my favourite character, Revy, I find is very depressing. What little is known about her past is horrible and has given her a very negative, nihilistic, and bleak outlook on life. The other characters too (Rock and Balalaika) are either depressing in their naivety/outlook and or past. Then you have minor characters like Hansel and Gretel whose backstory I can't mention here, but it's pretty grim and terribly depressing.

Black Lagoon is my favourite anime and for the mostpart I find it very witty and exciting. But every so often a character's past is revealed or they'll say/do something that takes me back. It's never a little thing either, it always seems to be something that changed them for the worse (eg. Revy being beaten up by corrupt police when she was young).

Last edited by Hysteria; January 1st, 2010 at 10:42 pm.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 12:07 am
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Gunslinger Girls: Some of the stories of how the girls got there, for example, having your parents try to kill you for insurence money is really depressing.
Oh, I have to agree with this! So many of the girls' stories were just sad and depressing, and then to learn of their fates just makes it even worse. The episode with Elsa's murder of her handler really drives the emphasis home.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old August 1st, 2010, 8:17 am
First Year

My favorite has to be The Demon Ororon. I cried so many times, it really is an exciting series. Though, I'm still not positive of Chiaki's gender, no matter how many times I re-read it.

Slytherin
Why yes! We do have plenty of hotties available
Old October 4th, 2010, 5:35 am
First Year

Air will always make me cry no matter how many times I've seen it.

Also, Kuro****suji (Black Butler) is really depressing towards the ending to me.

Old November 1st, 2010, 11:27 pm
First Year

Two anime movies that I consider to be quite depressing, due to the fact that they both drove me to tears, are:

Grave of the Fireflies- The king of anime tearjerkers. This movie has a depressing beginning, a depressing middle, and a depressing ending (but it could be interpreted as otherwise), yet is very powerful and moving at the same time. Even though I love it, I have only watched this movie once. Anymore times is too depressing for my soul.

and

5 Centimeters Per Second- Though it does not involve death, apocalypse, war, or anything else that is often considered sad in anime, it does include characters that experience more common things like moving, heartbreak, and growing further away, emotionally and physically, from someone you used to be close to. Highly recommended.

+Patronus: Fox
+Boggart: Spider
+Wand: 10 1/2" holly, with a dragon heartstring

It is are choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime