Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Ask the Staff v7

Old May 28th, 2011, 10:43 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Ask the Staff v7

this forum is family friendly. Not so much as the topics but how the posters respond to the topics. Even the way Dumbledore and Grindelwald relationship is discussed. there is no explicited pictures, there is no bashing, no name calling, etc. I think the Administration is doing a great job handling the forum.
I hope the forum will be around for awhile after the last movie is out. I know it has been discussed before, but I wish that we can still have access to it just for general discussions.

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2011, 10:44 pm
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
but how about removing it so no one uses it?
Actually, more often than not, that smiley is used to mock people as a tease and its mostly a joke which gets the appropriate response rather than scorn or sarcasm. Atleast thats been my experience.

Old May 28th, 2011, 11:19 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysme View Post
I think this site goes out of the way to do everything in it's power to make it as friendly as possible.
That sounds better: Friendly, not family friendly.

Old May 28th, 2011, 11:23 pm
Banned

Quote:
I don't personally feel we allow non-family friendly discussions on here. I think this site goes out of the way to do everything in it's power to make it as friendly as possible. The only place to find the more mature discussions are in the DoIMC and other password protected forums like the USPD.

If the mods here miss something, it should be brought to our attention. We are only human. We cannot spot everything. Parents also have a role in monitoring their children.

That's really all I can say if you aren't going to give specifics. I am certain when Morgoth or another administrator return they can give you a much better answer.
I don't know about other people, it's not my decision what you allow to be posted on this site, I do not allow my 12 year old to visit this site because of things I have read in the Quibbler part of the forum. There was a thread, it's closed now called Cafe Voldemort and posters on there had no problem posting about Snape's 'buttons' and how they would like to undo them or how he would look in and out of Speedos. They carried that conversation on to the Spiners End Group that is open to all. I don't want my kid reading that kind of garbage. You're the Mods, stuff like that shouldn't need to be reported. The posters should be banned straight off. I don't think it's family friendly. It's not friendly enough for my kid, that's for sure.

Old May 28th, 2011, 11:29 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJPotter View Post
I don't know about other people, it's not my decision what you allow to be posted on this site, I do not allow my 12 year old to visit this site because of things I have read in the Quibbler part of the forum. There was a thread, it's closed now called Cafe Voldemort and posters on there had no problem posting about Snape's 'buttons' and how they would like to undo them or how he would look in and out of Speedos. They carried that conversation on to the Spiners End Group that is open to all. I don't want my kid reading that kind of garbage. You're the Mods, stuff like that shouldn't need to be reported. The posters should be banned straight off. I don't think it's family friendly. It's not friendly enough for my kid, that's for sure.
Yet your kid is allowed to read Harry Potter (violent)...

But yes, why is registration currently closed?

Old May 28th, 2011, 11:30 pm
Queen of Apathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJPotter View Post
And you as a parent made the right decision not to let them come online here. It's your choice and responsibility to monitor your children.

The thread you mention had a lot of issues and is now closed. We look at these things on a case by case basis.

We as mods try to do the best we can without completely stripping the fun away from the fans.

Old May 28th, 2011, 11:48 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
Yet your kid is allowed to read Harry Potter (violent)...

But yes, why is registration currently closed?
He has read the first two books, POA I'm thinking over. But right now he's enthralled with Percy Jackson so I'll worry about it next year. No way is he readig the last three till he's at least 14 and he ain't reading 'The Hunger Games' as long as I can control what he puts into his hands.

Quote:
And you as a parent made the right decision not to let them come online here. It's your choice and responsibility to monitor your children.

The thread you mention had a lot of issues and is now closed. We look at these things on a case by case basis.

We as mods try to do the best we can without completely stripping the fun away from the fans.
Well it wasn't closed because of those posts and Spinner's End is still going strong. I don't know why Cafe Voldemort was closed on the Quibbler just so it could be reopened over there. I didn't post on it but when I joined I did look at everything. I also experienced bullying like I couldn't believe on the Snape thread on LS. Look at the thread and my first posts there and the responses. I found the bullying on this Forum unbelievable. I don't let people bully me but I see some people posting their first day and then they seem to vanish. I pay attention because I'm fairly new myself.

Old May 29th, 2011, 12:13 am
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Why have you blocked registration for new users and when will you lift this block? A friend of mine tried to sign up yesterday but couldn't.
Has it really been disabled? That's odd.

Old May 29th, 2011, 12:56 am
Genius Loci

Registration is off because of attacks of opportunity from unsavoury people I'd rather not have to worry about. It'll be back when I am assured the nuisance has passed.

Guys, I'm glad you got the chance to speak out, but this thread has lost its purpose and it's reaching its limit on posts anyway, so I'm going to close it and reopen another thread at a later opportunity, maybe tomorrow or if another staff member is reading this, perhaps they can

You've all made some salient points and I hear you. Thanks.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives