Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

The Studio Ghibli Thread

Old July 4th, 2008, 3:16 am
First Year

The Studio Ghibli Thread

The discussion thread about the amazing Studio Ghibli, a Japanese animation film studio, famous for the wonderful animation films such as "Spirited Away", "Howl's Moving Castle" and "My Neighbor Totoro".

My favorite films are "Grave of the Fireflies", "Spirited Away" and "Whisper of the Heart".

Old July 11th, 2008, 6:56 am
First Year

Re: The Studio Ghibli Thread

Oh, I love Studio Ghibli's work! I lived in Japan throughout the 90's and whenever a new Ghibli film came out it was HUUUUUUGE. My absolute favorite is My Neighbor Totoro. I grew up on that, along with Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky, right alongside Disney films. A few of the newer ones I have yet to see, like Howl's Moving Castle, but I've been telling myself to go rent it...

Old July 24th, 2008, 9:23 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

Their films are fantastic. The ones I haven't seen yet are in my Netflix queue. My favorite so far is Howl's Moving Castle.

Old July 27th, 2008, 5:18 am
Third Year

I love their work! Especially Howl's Moving Castle. Now I want my lover to be exactly like Howl.

I also loved Spirited Away - that movie was adorable! And Kiki's Delivery Service. My friend saw My Neighbor Totoro and she said it was amazing. I now want to see it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyArlette View Post
Oh, I love Studio Ghibli's work! I lived in Japan throughout the 90's and whenever a new Ghibli film came out it was HUUUUUUGE. My absolute favorite is My Neighbor Totoro. I grew up on that, along with Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky, right alongside Disney films. A few of the newer ones I have yet to see, like Howl's Moving Castle, but I've been telling myself to go rent it...
You must! That movie was amazing!

"The eyes are the window to the soul."

James was happier than he had been in a while. He laughed constantly when he was talking to her and he was always drawn into the conversation by her charming smile and her eyes – glittering gold, they were unlike anything James had ever seen. ~STOP AND STARE

Stop and Stare by me & MissProngs & Feedback ~ * ~ The Last Horcrux (Completed!) & feedback ~ * ~ Lovestruck & feedback

'Sirius Black is sexy, right?' Of course she was right. The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders.

I love Harry Potter and Twilight. It can happen without a war.
Old July 27th, 2008, 5:45 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hplova15165 View Post
I love their work! Especially Howl's Moving Castle. Now I want my lover to be exactly like Howl.

I also loved Spirited Away - that movie was adorable! And Kiki's Delivery Service. My friend saw My Neighbor Totoro and she said it was amazing. I now want to see it too!

You must! That movie was amazing!
Indeed! I was like "WOW!" all along the movie, and i couldn't stop thinking about it for a long time after. It's just truly amazing.

Old July 30th, 2008, 5:01 pm
Second Year

Kiki's Delivery Service is not only my favorite Miyazaki film, but one of my favorite animated films!

- Walt Disney

~~
Old July 31st, 2008, 6:06 am
Second Year

I love Hayao Miyazaki I think he's the one filmmaker in the world that I wouldn't think twice about meeting.

Princess Mononoke is my favorite movie out of all his works, with Nausicaa as a close second. I go for his serious films, mostly because they really hit home, and leave me with so much to think about every time I watch them.

Old September 23rd, 2008, 4:56 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Miyazaki is great! He makes such beautiful movies--I love the way he'll put in scenes with no action or even relevance to the story (eg. the street scenes mixed into Kiki's Delivery Service) that don't advance the plot but do give a sense of time passing and life going on around the characters. It's cool that he doesn't feel he has to pare everything down to bare essentials so as not to "bore" people. You can tell he's making his movies for a broader audience than just kids. My favorite movies (so far) by Studio Ghibli have been Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky, but I haven't had a chance to see Howl, Nausicca, The Cat Returns, or Totoro yet, so this may change.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:59 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhelda View Post
Miyazaki is great! He makes such beautiful movies--I love the way he'll put in scenes with no action or even relevance to the story (eg. the street scenes mixed into Kiki's Delivery Service) that don't advance the plot but do give a sense of time passing and life going on around the characters. It's cool that he doesn't feel he has to pare everything down to bare essentials so as not to "bore" people. You can tell he's making his movies for a broader audience than just kids. My favorite movies (so far) by Studio Ghibli have been Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky, but I haven't had a chance to see Howl, Nausicca, The Cat Returns, or Totoro yet, so this may change.
You should check out Howl's Moving Castle... right away! It's amazing.

Old September 24th, 2008, 4:06 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCornflake View Post
You should check out Howl's Moving Castle... right away! It's amazing.
I agree - check it out!

Old August 10th, 2009, 2:47 am
Third Year

Okay, so I'm bumping up this thread because I've spent the weekend indulging myself in Hayao Miyazaki's films and I must say it was a weekend well spent.

I watched Kiki's Delivery Service when I was quite young, so I don't remember what it was about, but just that I liked it. I'll rent it some time soon.

So, I watched Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle this week and they have becoming my instants favorites. There's just something magical about these two movies. The characters are absolutely wonderful, the music is just heart-warming and the animation is absolutely gorgeous. After watching these two films, I had tears in my eyes. I didn't want the adventure to end.
Howl's Moving Castle was also very romantic. It was just so sweet and lovely, and I can't find enough adjectives to describe how much I loved the film. And how much of a crush I have on Howl.
Spirited Away was also fantastic. It was very dream-like and wonderfully creative. I loved it so much!
I didn't get a chance to finish Grave of the Fireflies yet, but so far, it's one of the saddest, most touching movies I've seen yet. And I heard some spoilers about it already, so I know I'm gonna cry. It's also shocking, because it's so real. I think it was based on an actually story about a man and his sister and yeah. It's just so sad.

So yeah, bumping up this thread to express my new found love of Studio Ghilbi films. I'm glad I finally got the chance to watch them, and now, I feel happier than before.

Old August 10th, 2009, 3:11 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehedwig View Post
I didn't get a chance to finish Grave of the Fireflies yet, but so far, it's one of the saddest, most touching movies I've seen yet. And I heard some spoilers about it already, so I know I'm gonna cry. It's also shocking, because it's so real. I think it was based on an actually story about a man and his sister and yeah. It's just so sad.

So yeah, bumping up this thread to express my new found love of Studio Ghilbi films. I'm glad I finally got the chance to watch them, and now, I feel happier than before.
GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES! I haven't seen it yet, though I think some of my friends have and they told me it was a beautiful film, and I can't wait to see it.

Only Yesterday is one of my favorites. Poignant and nostalgic. I'm in love with Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. Beautiful, really. I've always wanted to watch Tonari no Totoro but haven't got around to it lately. Maybe I should.

That's why I'm talking to you.
You are one of the rare people who can
separate your observation from your preconception.
You see what is, where most people see what they expect.

Harry Potter Fanart
Old August 10th, 2009, 5:44 am
First Year

Nausicaa of The Valley of The Wind is my favourite movie of all time ^_^

Old August 10th, 2009, 8:08 am
Registered Animagus

I'd really like to see Castle In The Sky. Spirited away is a truly beautiful film IMO. It creeped me out majorly the first few times I saw it though

Old August 10th, 2009, 7:00 pm
Third Year

Next on my list of films to watch is My Neighbor Totoro and Princess Mononoke. I heard both are wonderful.

I haven't heard of Nausicaa of The Valley of The Wind or Castle in the Sky, but both titles sound amazing. I'll check those out soon.

What I like most about these films, besides the beautiful animation and the amazing storyline & characters, is the music. The music is just gorgeous. I especially like the theme music to Spirited Away. I think it just added to the beauty of this film.

Old August 14th, 2009, 3:48 am
First Year

Well-timed bump on this thead, seeing as Miyazaki's latest film, "Ponyo", is coming to theaters this Friday! Are you all thrilled?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehedwig View Post
What I like most about these films, besides the beautiful animation and the amazing storyline & characters, is the music. The music is just gorgeous. I especially like the theme music to Spirited Away. I think it just added to the beauty of this film.
Joe Hisaishi is a champion of film scores. I believe he's done the music for all of Miyazaki's films, and all of his scores are beautiful (although his work in "Howl's Moving Castle" and "Spirited Away" are my favorites). He also did a fantastic and catchy score for "Kikujiro" (a live-action film unrelated to Ghibli). I'd highly recommend it, both for Hisaishi's score and the film itself.

I just recently attended a local anime convention and went as Baron Humbert Von Gikkingen from "The Cat Returns". I was wondering if any of you have had the pleasure of seeing that film or its prequel, "Whisper of the Heart"? Lesser known Ghibli works, but no less wonderful. Just wondering, as only two people actually knew who I was.

And also, has anyone, by chance, gotten to see Goro Miyazaki's "Tales From Earthsea"? My friends and I were thrilled to see it when we heard about it. Still hasn't been released in America, no thanks to the Sci-Fi Channel still holding the rights via their version of the story. But apparently it's been dubbed and released in other countries.

Old August 14th, 2009, 9:04 pm
First Year

Spirited Away was a MASTERPIECE!

Ponyo comes out today! HOORAY! But Disney cast the youngest sibling of the Jonas and Cyrus families to play the voices :[ Oh well... I suppose I can overlook it.

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."
- Albus Dumbledore

Old August 15th, 2009, 4:45 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSunMuse View Post
Spirited Away was a MASTERPIECE!

Ponyo comes out today! HOORAY! But Disney cast the youngest sibling of the Jonas and Cyrus families to play the voices :[ Oh well... I suppose I can overlook it.
Not thrilled about the idea of the "stunt" casting for Ponyo, myself, but I'm willing to give them a chance. The movie looks great, so...we shall see (whenever I manage to get out to see it, that is).

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old August 15th, 2009, 6:32 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhelda View Post
Not thrilled about the idea of the "stunt" casting for Ponyo, myself, but I'm willing to give them a chance. The movie looks great, so...we shall see (whenever I manage to get out to see it, that is).
Better see it quick; it got a limited release. Only 4 theaters in my home state are showing it (and only 900 nationwide according to moviefone.com).

I believe in a hill called Mount Calvary.
Old August 15th, 2009, 7:09 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalguy View Post
Better see it quick; it got a limited release. Only 4 theaters in my home state are showing it (and only 900 nationwide according to moviefone.com).
I'm very excited!! I was kind of put off by Frankie Jonas and Noah Cyrus, but we'll see how well it goes. Hiyao Miyazaki finds actors to play parts you would never think they'd play. I hope they're good!!

"The eyes are the window to the soul."

James was happier than he had been in a while. He laughed constantly when he was talking to her and he was always drawn into the conversation by her charming smile and her eyes – glittering gold, they were unlike anything James had ever seen. ~STOP AND STARE

Stop and Stare by me & MissProngs & Feedback ~ * ~ The Last Horcrux (Completed!) & feedback ~ * ~ Lovestruck & feedback

'Sirius Black is sexy, right?' Of course she was right. The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders.

I love Harry Potter and Twilight. It can happen without a war.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime