Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

Anime Cons

Old June 26th, 2008, 4:43 pm
Registered Animagus

Anime Cons

So has anybody ever attended any anime/manga/video game conventions? I attend the annual one in my state (South Australia), AVCon which is quickly approaching. It's a lot of fun. This year's theme is Space Opera which is a bit annoying because I couldn't think of a costume to fit So instead I think I'm going as Nyuu/Lucy from Elfen Lied

Does anyone else do cosplay, attend cons etc? What do you like/dislike about them? Personally my favourite part is the quiz (held in a huge hall with 6 contestants, always a laugh) and the cosplay. The effort some people go to

Old June 26th, 2008, 11:37 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: Anime Cons

I've been to one twice. It's held in Columbus, Ohio. It's called Anime Punch. I went for 2006 and 2007, but couldn't go this year since I couldn't find a job in time to save up to go. I've never cosplayed. To be honest, I couldn't see myself actually doing so.

If anything, I like going to see others, play video games, and shop in the dealer room. I might go to one next year.

Old June 27th, 2008, 6:28 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

I love Elfen Lied! Sorry, that was a bit off topic...

There is an annual con in my area but I didn't go this year because I just didn't know what to expect. I'm guessing you can buy animes, action figures, and other things like t-shirts, keychains, etc. Do they usually have anime screenings? That would be fun. I may go next year and check it out. I probably won't do cosplay, though. But I'll enjoy watching everyone else who does!

Old June 28th, 2008, 3:54 pm
Registered Animagus

At AVCon (the one I go to) there are video game tournaments, anime screenings, games like human chess, sumo wrestling etc. Umm stalls with cheap manga, anime, other novelty items, quiz night, auction and cosplay. I'm sure there are other things but that's the general idea.
Lots of fun every year. Some of the bigger cons get guest stars in like voice actors for anime or manga writers etc.

And yes, Elfen Lied is awesome

Old July 15th, 2008, 1:40 am
Fourth Year

... I go to 2-4 cons a year... I started going to cons in 1999, and have been to about 20 so far...
I cosplay at all of them =D ... I'm working on another costume now, for a convention next month.. (the one next month is the largest one I go to annually)

When injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty.
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:20 pm
Second Year

yep i have been going since 2003 and i have been to 12 cons in the last 6 years. wow i really have no life heh

Old September 6th, 2008, 8:57 pm
Sixth Year

I haven't been to one, but would like to...Cosplay would also be fun. I get a little scared though when I see videos on youtube or pictures with cosplayers who take it very very seriously. It does look very fun.

- I John 4:18

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Enter the world of my fanfictions! Deviantart
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

As a young mom with two young kids, I haven't been able to go to a con yet, but we are planning on going to one next summer. And if we do manage to make it, I'll definitely try my hand at cosplay - it seems fun. ^_^ I'd also probably try to dress up my poor kids.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old March 12th, 2009, 9:44 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I just reserved my hotel room for the one that is here in Chicago in May. I'm bringing one of my room mates and her best friend. This will be our first.

Old March 12th, 2009, 10:37 pm
She Who Walks Behind

I always wanted to attend the biggest con in Germany. The Animagic. I think it's the biggest one. And do do Cosplay there. But I never dared to go there all the years.

The End of the Dream.
Old May 17th, 2009, 3:21 am
First Year

I've been to ColossalCon the last two years. I was at Otakon in '07 and MegaCon in '08.

I'll be at ColossalCon in Sandusky, Ohio and Otakon in Baltimore, Ohio this year. Hope to see some of you there.

Another friendly Hufflepuff at your service.
Old June 11th, 2009, 6:40 pm
First Year

Woo~! I've been to Kumoricon in Portland once and I plan on going again this year! And maybe Mew-con at the end of the year. Oh! And I'm going to Sakura-con next year! I am a total cosplayer and I can't wait for this years con! ♥♥♥

http://media.photobucket.com/image/cute%20slytherin/dayday_mamac/slytherin_pride04.gif
Old July 27th, 2009, 8:52 am
Registered Animagus

Went to AVCon over the weekend and it was another great year. Didn't get to dress up but have already started planning cosplay for next year. I think the competition gets better every year. A couple won the team comp with Alucar and Seris costumes that were just outstanding (and hand-sewen).

Thinking about going to Supernova next year interstate. Being a small con we don't get special guests or anything so I think it could be a fun experience.

Went to AVCon over the weekend and it was another great year. Didn't get to dress up but have already started planning cosplay for next year. I think the competition gets better every year. A couple won the team comp with Alucar and Seris costumes that were just outstanding (and hand-sewen).

Thinking about going to Supernova next year interstate. Being a small con we don't get special guests or anything so I think it could be a fun experience.

Old August 6th, 2009, 11:24 pm
First Year

Is anybody going to the chibi pa in west palm beach, Florida? i was thinking of going but i'm having my doubts....if anybody has ever been to a previous chibi pa....how is it like?

Gokudera is Ravenclaw

and

Yamamoto is Griffindor
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:50 pm
First Year

There's never any good ones in victoria.

Old August 9th, 2009, 9:38 am
Registered Animagus

Victoria Australia? Or a different Victoria? If you're talking about Australia there are heaps. Manifest and Supanova being the best ones.

Old August 9th, 2009, 9:48 am
She Who Walks Behind

Nope, it's Victoria in British Columbia, Canada. *points at location*

There is a con in Vancouver "Anime Evolution", that's the closest one I can find. It's every year in August.

Here's their website.

The End of the Dream.
Old August 9th, 2009, 2:11 pm
Registered Animagus

^ Yeah I noticed that later Wasn't sure what B.C. stood for though If we have as many cons here in Australia, I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be several big ones somewhere like Canada.

Supanova in Melbourne is actually a pop culture expo but its known for being an anime con more than anything else. Next year for example they have a bunch of actors who do the American voices for Fullmetal Alchemist *is tempted to go*

Old August 10th, 2009, 2:05 am
First Year

I go to an annual anime con in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania in the USA. It's called Zenkaikon, it's a two day con that's pretty fun. It kicks off with a cosplay ball and a rave (the fact that the rave is planed kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?) and the next day is full of panels/workshops/amv contest. It's a really nice smaller con.

Old November 24th, 2009, 2:47 pm
First Year

Went to Kumoricon '09, wasn't too fantastic, too many people in such a small place, and the hotel treated us like ****. 8/

But I'm going to Mew-con this year! So hopefully it'll be good! It's a small con but my friend said it was pretty awesome! x3

http://media.photobucket.com/image/cute%20slytherin/dayday_mamac/slytherin_pride04.gif
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime