Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

Give Blood!

Old December 20th, 2010, 2:54 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Give Blood!

I donated blood yesterday. I received a free t-shirt, a voucher for free pizza, a voucher for a free ticket to the symphony, a coupon for a pint of ice cream, a coupon for two games of bowling, for free, and a voucher to see Disney on Ice. I wish they didn't have to give out the free stuff just to donate blood.

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2010, 3:52 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
I donated blood yesterday. I received a free t-shirt, a voucher for free pizza, a voucher for a free ticket to the symphony, a coupon for a pint of ice cream, a coupon for two games of bowling, for free, and a voucher to see Disney on Ice. I wish they didn't have to give out the free stuff just to donate blood.

Wow, that is a lot of free stuff. I guess it's too give some incentive to donate blood.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old December 20th, 2010, 4:45 am
The Next Great Adventurer

I'm ineligible to donate in Australia as I spent for than six months in the UK in the early '90s.

Australian Red Cross

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old December 20th, 2010, 6:33 am
First Year

The refuse to take my blood, my veins aren't strong enough. That's if they can find my veins, you can see them no problems but do you think anyone's able to get a needle into them? Nope. Caused me many a problem when I had to have my appendix out.

I'm needle-phobic anyway -_-;;

R/Hr shipper, forever and always.
Old December 20th, 2010, 5:40 pm
Formerly Known as 82

Ive tried often in the last years to donate but I always get turned away on account of my hemoglobin being so low. Last time I could was when I was 17. But its great that you all do!

Just here to mess with your brain, it's all very innocent I swear *Pokes*
Old January 23rd, 2011, 8:21 am
First Year

I try and donate the maximum number of times every year since I was 16.
Unfortunately I could not do so last year because when I went to the Red Cross they said I was too low on iron. I'm working on that though and hopefully I'll get back in there soon.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 4:13 pm
Second Year

I'm not allowed to give blood because I'm not the right weight.
I'd love to, but I'd be terrified anyway. I hate needles, and I've never even had a blood test. I'll probably faint the first time I have blood taken xD (It's going to happen at some point... I think I'm lucky to be almost 18 and never needed a blood test xD)

Old January 23rd, 2011, 7:49 pm
First Year

I've been meaning to. A year ago, I had a stomach ulcer that caused me to bleed internally, and I lost quite a bit of blood. I had to undergo a couple blood transfusions, and the whole experience was pretty miserable but also made me feel quite lucky.

Only problem is it's taken a loooong time to feel back to normal. I still get lightheaded a lot, so I'm not sure if giving blood right now is a good idea.

Old January 24th, 2011, 1:50 am
Zonko's Employee

Woo-hoo, since I first posted in this thread I have finished another gallon!

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old January 24th, 2011, 5:30 pm
First Year

I used to give blood, but I'm not considered healthy enough now. I would go if I could.

RuneStone on Pottermore
Old January 25th, 2011, 2:38 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I have to wait until Feb. before donating again. one way to build up your iron is to eat foods high in iron but also don't eat dairy products at the same time. nor whole wheat. or caffeine. Some foods interfere with the absorption of iron.

Old January 30th, 2011, 4:33 pm
Fifth Year

It's nice to see people on here still donating

Fan Fic
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114430

Feedback
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114436
Old January 30th, 2011, 11:40 pm
Second Year

I tried last year. They checked my iron, blood pressure, etc. and it was all normal. They wouldn't let me donate, though, because my pulse was too high (I was really nervous and so my pulse was around 115-120). I feel like I need to donate, though, because I was born 3 months prematurely and my mom donated her blood for a blood transfusion for me, and I feel like I should "give back." I just need to get over my nerves.

It probably didn't help that I went with 2 friends, one of whom is prone to vomiting fairly easy. I'm scared of vomiting, and that was the main reason that I was nervous. That friend apparently threw up all over himself as they were taking the IV out. I felt bad for him. If/when I give, I'll probably have to be in a room alone so other peoples' reactions don't freak me out.

Cypress, Unicorn Hair, 9 3/4", Hard

My Pottermore House:

My COS House: Hufflepuff
Old January 31st, 2011, 7:06 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always View Post
I've been meaning to. A year ago, I had a stomach ulcer that caused me to bleed internally, and I lost quite a bit of blood. I had to undergo a couple blood transfusions, and the whole experience was pretty miserable but also made me feel quite lucky.

Only problem is it's taken a loooong time to feel back to normal. I still get lightheaded a lot, so I'm not sure if giving blood right now is a good idea.
I don't think you're allowed to give blood after a transfusion.

I was looking on the website to see why people could/couldn't give and it says this under 'couldn't':
You have received blood or think you may have received blood during the course of any medical treatment or procedure anywhere in the world since 1st January 1980.

This is on the UK website.

Old January 31st, 2011, 7:10 pm
Fifth Year

yeah the US asks if ever received blood, but when I say it was in '03 they clear me to donate

Fan Fic
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114430

Feedback
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114436
Old January 31st, 2011, 8:06 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielouise View Post
I don't think you're allowed to give blood after a transfusion.

I was looking on the website to see why people could/couldn't give and it says this under 'couldn't':
You have received blood or think you may have received blood during the course of any medical treatment or procedure anywhere in the world since 1st January 1980.

This is on the UK website.
Hmm. Strange. So I can give blood here (in the US - I don't remember there being anything about receiving a transfusion on the forms) but not in the UK if I lived there? I wonder why there are different restrictions? I received my mom's blood when I was an infant (in 1990).

My Pottermore House:

Old January 31st, 2011, 9:35 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lprdgecko View Post
Hmm. Strange. So I can give blood here (in the US - I don't remember there being anything about receiving a transfusion on the forms) but not in the UK if I lived there? I wonder why there are different restrictions? I received my mom's blood when I was an infant (in 1990).
In the USA, they are pretty much exclusively looking for the possibility of HIV with that question. In Britain they are also watching for Mad Englishman disease (a/k/a Mad Cow). The USA is also concerned with Mad Cow, but it catches that by looking at your travel, since you obviously have not had a British transfusion if you have never been there. So in looking at transfusions, as well as other blood product contacts, the USA only needs to see that your last such exposure is far enough back that the antibodies to HIV (which is all they can actually test for, IIRC) will have shown up if you got exposed to HIV. In other words, a 1990 blood transfusion with HIV exposure would have shown up in your antibodies by now, and you also would almost certainly have full AIDS, so they can take your blood and screen it. But Mad Cow cannot be screened for, and the Brits were having a lot of problems with that for a decade or so, so they need to just bar blood from potentially infected people.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old February 1st, 2011, 2:14 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus Diggle View Post
In the USA, they are pretty much exclusively looking for the possibility of HIV with that question. In Britain they are also watching for Mad Englishman disease (a/k/a Mad Cow). The USA is also concerned with Mad Cow, but it catches that by looking at your travel, since you obviously have not had a British transfusion if you have never been there. So in looking at transfusions, as well as other blood product contacts, the USA only needs to see that your last such exposure is far enough back that the antibodies to HIV (which is all they can actually test for, IIRC) will have shown up if you got exposed to HIV. In other words, a 1990 blood transfusion with HIV exposure would have shown up in your antibodies by now, and you also would almost certainly have full AIDS, so they can take your blood and screen it. But Mad Cow cannot be screened for, and the Brits were having a lot of problems with that for a decade or so, so they need to just bar blood from potentially infected people.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the info!

My Pottermore House:

Old February 6th, 2011, 1:43 pm
First Year

One of my new years resolutions is to donate blood. Hopefully, I can do that this year!

Old February 21st, 2011, 4:04 am
First Year

I wish I could give blood, but I can't. For one thing, I'm anemic and for another, I have a severe needle phobia. And I mean severe. Whenever I have to get blood work done, I cry and shake really bad. My phobia is so bad that I can't even touch a needle myself, like for sewing or something. Needles are the one thing I hate more than anything. In fact I told my doctor that I would sign a waiver so that he could bash me on the head with a 2x4, knock me out cold, and then take as much blood as he wanted. He didn't go for it.

I am an organ donor though.

"I saw this dude, he was wearing a leather jacket, and at the same time he was eating a hamburger and drinking a glass of milk. I said to him 'Dude, you're a cow. The metamorphosis is complete. Don't fall asleep or I'll tip you over.'" -Mitch Hedberg
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall