Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

Give Blood!



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old December 20th, 2010, 2:54 am
merrymarge's Avatar
merrymarge  Female.gif merrymarge is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 3561 days
Posts: 2,159
Re: Give Blood!

I donated blood yesterday. I received a free t-shirt, a voucher for free pizza, a voucher for a free ticket to the symphony, a coupon for a pint of ice cream, a coupon for two games of bowling, for free, and a voucher to see Disney on Ice. I wish they didn't have to give out the free stuff just to donate blood.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #42  
Old December 20th, 2010, 3:52 am
magic_is_might's Avatar
magic_is_might  Female.gif magic_is_might is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4078 days
Location: Illinois :)
Age: 26
Posts: 1,017
Re: Give Blood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
I donated blood yesterday. I received a free t-shirt, a voucher for free pizza, a voucher for a free ticket to the symphony, a coupon for a pint of ice cream, a coupon for two games of bowling, for free, and a voucher to see Disney on Ice. I wish they didn't have to give out the free stuff just to donate blood.


Wow, that is a lot of free stuff. I guess it's too give some incentive to donate blood.


__________________
Don't Britta it. Watch Community on NBC


Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old December 20th, 2010, 4:45 am
Wab's Avatar
Wab  Undisclosed.gif Wab is offline
The Next Great Adventurer
 
Joined: 5461 days
Location: Mornington Crescent
Posts: 15,280
Re: Give Blood!

I'm ineligible to donate in Australia as I spent for than six months in the UK in the early '90s.

Australian Red Cross


__________________
A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old December 20th, 2010, 6:33 am
iambeffy89  Female.gif iambeffy89 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3233 days
Location: Australia
Posts: 82
Re: Give Blood!

The refuse to take my blood, my veins aren't strong enough. That's if they can find my veins, you can see them no problems but do you think anyone's able to get a needle into them? Nope. Caused me many a problem when I had to have my appendix out.

I'm needle-phobic anyway -_-;;


__________________




R/Hr shipper, forever and always.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old December 20th, 2010, 5:40 pm
Vita's Avatar
Vita  Female.gif Vita is offline
Formerly Known as 82
 
Joined: 5053 days
Location: Holodeck 2
Age: 32
Posts: 1,453
Re: Give Blood!

Ive tried often in the last years to donate but I always get turned away on account of my hemoglobin being so low. Last time I could was when I was 17. But its great that you all do!


__________________
...fond memories indeed...
* * * Visit Evita_Icons for my graphics. Currently accepting requests * * *

Just here to mess with your brain, it's all very innocent I swear *Pokes*
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old January 23rd, 2011, 8:21 am
sarahlorraine92  Female.gif sarahlorraine92 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2825 days
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 44
Re: Give Blood!

I try and donate the maximum number of times every year since I was 16.
Unfortunately I could not do so last year because when I went to the Red Cross they said I was too low on iron. I'm working on that though and hopefully I'll get back in there soon.


Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old January 23rd, 2011, 4:13 pm
katielouise  Female.gif katielouise is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 2843 days
Location: England
Age: 25
Posts: 116
Re: Give Blood!

I'm not allowed to give blood because I'm not the right weight.
I'd love to, but I'd be terrified anyway. I hate needles, and I've never even had a blood test. I'll probably faint the first time I have blood taken xD (It's going to happen at some point... I think I'm lucky to be almost 18 and never needed a blood test xD)


__________________
Don't follow your dreams; chase them.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old January 23rd, 2011, 7:49 pm
Always  Female.gif Always is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4101 days
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 21
Re: Give Blood!

I've been meaning to. A year ago, I had a stomach ulcer that caused me to bleed internally, and I lost quite a bit of blood. I had to undergo a couple blood transfusions, and the whole experience was pretty miserable but also made me feel quite lucky.

Only problem is it's taken a loooong time to feel back to normal. I still get lightheaded a lot, so I'm not sure if giving blood right now is a good idea.


Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old January 24th, 2011, 1:50 am
Dedalus Diggle's Avatar
Dedalus Diggle  Male.gif Dedalus Diggle is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 5598 days
Location: Daisy Hill Puppy Farm
Age: 60
Posts: 3,692
Re: Give Blood!

Woo-hoo, since I first posted in this thread I have finished another gallon!


__________________
Where are they now? (part 42)
(an occasional series following wizardry after the Second Voldemort War)
Rubeus Hagrid continued as groundskeeper and Professor of Magical Beasts.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old January 24th, 2011, 5:30 pm
Sinistra_Furze  Undisclosed.gif Sinistra_Furze is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2845 days
Location: London
Posts: 82
Re: Give Blood!

I used to give blood, but I'm not considered healthy enough now. I would go if I could.


__________________
http://lh3.ggpht.com/TheIWHinquirer/SPVPgweiifI/AAAAAAAACJA/nHwcnGwtO9U/s800/arabic-alchemy.jpg

RuneStone on Pottermore
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old January 25th, 2011, 2:38 am
merrymarge's Avatar
merrymarge  Female.gif merrymarge is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 3561 days
Posts: 2,159
Re: Give Blood!

I have to wait until Feb. before donating again. one way to build up your iron is to eat foods high in iron but also don't eat dairy products at the same time. nor whole wheat. or caffeine. Some foods interfere with the absorption of iron.


Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old January 30th, 2011, 4:33 pm
Potter_fan  Male.gif Potter_fan is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 5691 days
Location: Trapped inside my own mind
Age: 33
Posts: 705
Re: Give Blood!

It's nice to see people on here still donating


__________________
Are YOU a Harry/Ginny Shipper? then do we have a group for you!! Harry/Ginny

Fan Fic
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114430

Feedback
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114436
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old January 30th, 2011, 11:40 pm
Lprdgecko  Female.gif Lprdgecko is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3371 days
Location: TN
Age: 28
Posts: 137
Re: Give Blood!

I tried last year. They checked my iron, blood pressure, etc. and it was all normal. They wouldn't let me donate, though, because my pulse was too high (I was really nervous and so my pulse was around 115-120). I feel like I need to donate, though, because I was born 3 months prematurely and my mom donated her blood for a blood transfusion for me, and I feel like I should "give back." I just need to get over my nerves.

It probably didn't help that I went with 2 friends, one of whom is prone to vomiting fairly easy. I'm scared of vomiting, and that was the main reason that I was nervous. That friend apparently threw up all over himself as they were taking the IV out. I felt bad for him. If/when I give, I'll probably have to be in a room alone so other peoples' reactions don't freak me out.


__________________
My Pottermore Account: SpiritWitch6

Cypress, Unicorn Hair, 9 3/4", Hard

My Pottermore House:

My COS House: Hufflepuff
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old January 31st, 2011, 7:06 pm
katielouise  Female.gif katielouise is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 2843 days
Location: England
Age: 25
Posts: 116
Re: Give Blood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always View Post
I've been meaning to. A year ago, I had a stomach ulcer that caused me to bleed internally, and I lost quite a bit of blood. I had to undergo a couple blood transfusions, and the whole experience was pretty miserable but also made me feel quite lucky.

Only problem is it's taken a loooong time to feel back to normal. I still get lightheaded a lot, so I'm not sure if giving blood right now is a good idea.
I don't think you're allowed to give blood after a transfusion.

I was looking on the website to see why people could/couldn't give and it says this under 'couldn't':
You have received blood or think you may have received blood during the course of any medical treatment or procedure anywhere in the world since 1st January 1980.

This is on the UK website.


__________________
Don't follow your dreams; chase them.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old January 31st, 2011, 7:10 pm
Potter_fan  Male.gif Potter_fan is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 5691 days
Location: Trapped inside my own mind
Age: 33
Posts: 705
Re: Give Blood!

yeah the US asks if ever received blood, but when I say it was in '03 they clear me to donate


__________________
Are YOU a Harry/Ginny Shipper? then do we have a group for you!! Harry/Ginny

Fan Fic
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114430

Feedback
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114436
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old January 31st, 2011, 8:06 pm
Lprdgecko  Female.gif Lprdgecko is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3371 days
Location: TN
Age: 28
Posts: 137
Re: Give Blood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielouise View Post
I don't think you're allowed to give blood after a transfusion.

I was looking on the website to see why people could/couldn't give and it says this under 'couldn't':
You have received blood or think you may have received blood during the course of any medical treatment or procedure anywhere in the world since 1st January 1980.

This is on the UK website.
Hmm. Strange. So I can give blood here (in the US - I don't remember there being anything about receiving a transfusion on the forms) but not in the UK if I lived there? I wonder why there are different restrictions? I received my mom's blood when I was an infant (in 1990).


__________________
My Pottermore Account: SpiritWitch6

Cypress, Unicorn Hair, 9 3/4", Hard

My Pottermore House:

My COS House: Hufflepuff
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old January 31st, 2011, 9:35 pm
Dedalus Diggle's Avatar
Dedalus Diggle  Male.gif Dedalus Diggle is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 5598 days
Location: Daisy Hill Puppy Farm
Age: 60
Posts: 3,692
Re: Give Blood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lprdgecko View Post
Hmm. Strange. So I can give blood here (in the US - I don't remember there being anything about receiving a transfusion on the forms) but not in the UK if I lived there? I wonder why there are different restrictions? I received my mom's blood when I was an infant (in 1990).
In the USA, they are pretty much exclusively looking for the possibility of HIV with that question. In Britain they are also watching for Mad Englishman disease (a/k/a Mad Cow). The USA is also concerned with Mad Cow, but it catches that by looking at your travel, since you obviously have not had a British transfusion if you have never been there. So in looking at transfusions, as well as other blood product contacts, the USA only needs to see that your last such exposure is far enough back that the antibodies to HIV (which is all they can actually test for, IIRC) will have shown up if you got exposed to HIV. In other words, a 1990 blood transfusion with HIV exposure would have shown up in your antibodies by now, and you also would almost certainly have full AIDS, so they can take your blood and screen it. But Mad Cow cannot be screened for, and the Brits were having a lot of problems with that for a decade or so, so they need to just bar blood from potentially infected people.


__________________
Where are they now? (part 42)
(an occasional series following wizardry after the Second Voldemort War)
Rubeus Hagrid continued as groundskeeper and Professor of Magical Beasts.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old February 1st, 2011, 2:14 am
Lprdgecko  Female.gif Lprdgecko is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3371 days
Location: TN
Age: 28
Posts: 137
Re: Give Blood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus Diggle View Post
In the USA, they are pretty much exclusively looking for the possibility of HIV with that question. In Britain they are also watching for Mad Englishman disease (a/k/a Mad Cow). The USA is also concerned with Mad Cow, but it catches that by looking at your travel, since you obviously have not had a British transfusion if you have never been there. So in looking at transfusions, as well as other blood product contacts, the USA only needs to see that your last such exposure is far enough back that the antibodies to HIV (which is all they can actually test for, IIRC) will have shown up if you got exposed to HIV. In other words, a 1990 blood transfusion with HIV exposure would have shown up in your antibodies by now, and you also would almost certainly have full AIDS, so they can take your blood and screen it. But Mad Cow cannot be screened for, and the Brits were having a lot of problems with that for a decade or so, so they need to just bar blood from potentially infected people.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the info!


__________________
My Pottermore Account: SpiritWitch6

Cypress, Unicorn Hair, 9 3/4", Hard

My Pottermore House:

My COS House: Hufflepuff
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old February 6th, 2011, 1:43 pm
gabbiehall  Undisclosed.gif gabbiehall is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2890 days
Posts: 33
Re: Give Blood!

One of my new years resolutions is to donate blood. Hopefully, I can do that this year!


Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old February 21st, 2011, 4:04 am
Lady_Snape  Female.gif Lady_Snape is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2799 days
Location: On my Scooty Puff Jr.
Age: 37
Posts: 69
Re: Give Blood!

I wish I could give blood, but I can't. For one thing, I'm anemic and for another, I have a severe needle phobia. And I mean severe. Whenever I have to get blood work done, I cry and shake really bad. My phobia is so bad that I can't even touch a needle myself, like for sewing or something. Needles are the one thing I hate more than anything. In fact I told my doctor that I would sign a waiver so that he could bash me on the head with a 2x4, knock me out cold, and then take as much blood as he wanted. He didn't go for it.

I am an organ donor though.


__________________
Member of the Slytherin House.


"I saw this dude, he was wearing a leather jacket, and at the same time he was eating a hamburger and drinking a glass of milk. I said to him 'Dude, you're a cow. The metamorphosis is complete. Don't fall asleep or I'll tip you over.'" -Mitch Hedberg
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 3:18 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.