Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

Death Note Anime

Old November 12th, 2008, 2:06 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: Death Note Anime

Yeah I agree with everyone else about where it went boring after a certain character dies. For what they're worth I think the live action movies were quite good. Very well cast.

Old November 12th, 2008, 6:23 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Am I the only one who really liked
Spoiler: show
Near and Mello? To me, combined, they were L. Both had sides to them that you could see in L, and I like how, in a way, they avenged L's death, even though Near's rationale beat out Mello's recklessness.
I found the Yotsuba arc more boring compared to the later ones.

I also didn't mind the manga/anime's ending. It's the same for both, the anime was just more melodramatic, imo.

Old November 13th, 2008, 12:53 am
Registered Animagus

I didn't mind Near and Mello but I think once they came into it the story got a bit messy. I had to double-read some stuff and Mello got on my nerves a lot. The ending is ok but it could have been handled better IMO.

Old November 13th, 2008, 1:14 am
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
Am I the only one who really liked
Near and Mello? To me, combined, they were L. Both had sides to them that you could see in L, and I like how, in a way, they avenged L's death, even though Near's rationale beat out Mello's recklessness.
I really liked Near and Mello. And I was pretty happy with the ending of the anime. Maybe I'm just easy to please!

I bought the manga but I haven't read it yet. I'll be starting on that soon.

Old November 13th, 2008, 2:40 pm
Fourth Year

Nope. I liked them too. And the way the anime ended.
Death Note is the best anime ever. It's what got me into manga.

My Dark Lord? Sorry I disturb you,
but Muggles have started catching up with us...

My Harry Potter fanart
My deviantart page
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:50 am
Sixth Year

I agree with SS_Jup81 about the Yotsuba arc. I kind of felt like it didn't really take things anywhere... I was glad when it ended.

I suppose I was the only one that didn't like Near and Mello that much. It's just because L was such a great character that no one would have been able to compare with him, in my opinion, though I get how combined they would make up L... His death was so sad :'(

Also, I just watched the trailer for the live action movie - it looks like it could be really good, however the trailer was somewhat ruined by having a Red Hot Chilli Peppers song that has no relevance to the storyline...

"Don't get too friendly with him, though, Rosie. Granddad Weasley would never forgive you if you married a pure-blood."

Last edited by AmeliaPotter; November 14th, 2008 at 1:07 am.
Old November 14th, 2008, 1:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliaPotter View Post
Also, I just watched the trailer for the live action movie - it looks like it could be really good, however the trailer was somewhat ruined by having a Red Hot Chilli Peppers song that has no relevance to the storyline...
There are actually 3 live action movies: Death Note, Death Note II: The Last Name, and Death Note III: L Change the World. I've seen the first two and will be watching the third one soon. The first two are actually one story (like Deathly Hallows will be). I thought the movies were really good. In my opinion the second one was even better than the first. I saw them in a theater and the crowd really loved it and how it ended. If you have already seen the movie or just want to know how it ends, then
L betters Light in the end! Near and Mello were not even characters in the films.

There were also a lot of people in the crowd dressed as the characters - it was fun!

For those of you familiar with the story of the first two films then you want to know that the last film is
L's final 23 days.

The actors in the lead roles were really good. The guy who played L was fantastic! I think if you are a fan of the Death Note anime then you may want to check out the movies - Red Hot Chilli Peppers aside.

Old November 14th, 2008, 1:40 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis_Fowl_2 View Post
There are actually 3 live action movies: Death Note, Death Note II: The Last Name, and Death Note III: L Change the World. I've seen the first two and will be watching the third one soon. The first two are actually one story (like Deathly Hallows will be). I thought the movies were really good. In my opinion the second one was even better than the first. I saw them in a theater and the crowd really loved it and how it ended. If you have already seen the movie or just want to know how it ends, then
L betters Light in the end! Near and Mello were not even characters in the films.

There were also a lot of people in the crowd dressed as the characters - it was fun!

The actors in the lead roles were really good. The guy who played L was fantastic! I think if you are a fan of the Death Note anime then you may want to check out the movies - Red Hot Chilli Peppers aside.
Yeah, I meant the first one... I saw the trailer for it and it looked really good. As for the spoiler, that sounds awesome too... I really want to see it now, but don't know where I'd get my hands on it. I'll just check around in stores that sell anime, I might be lucky and find a copy or something.

"Don't get too friendly with him, though, Rosie. Granddad Weasley would never forgive you if you married a pure-blood."
Old November 14th, 2008, 1:48 am

Quote:
Yeah, I meant the first one... I saw the trailer for it and it looked really good. As for the spoiler, that sounds awesome too... I really want to see it now, but don't know where I'd get my hands on it. I'll just check around in stores that sell anime, I might be lucky and find a copy or something.
I know amazon.com is selling the first one (subbed and dubbed). I'm not sure of the release date for the second one yet but since it was in theaters it should be pretty soon (I *think* it's around 02/10/2009). I have subbed copies of the movies which is why I have all 3. I got those on eBay.

Old November 14th, 2008, 7:22 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
I love the movies. You really have to take them for what they are and not expect incredible cinema. They are well made though.
I don't like how the Red Hot Chili Peppers are the theme song for the movies. It doesn't fit at all.

Old November 15th, 2008, 5:07 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
I know amazon.com is selling the first one (subbed and dubbed). I'm not sure of the release date for the second one yet but since it was in theaters it should be pretty soon (I *think* it's around 02/10/2009). I have subbed copies of the movies which is why I have all 3. I got those on eBay.
I thought they'd probably have them on eBay, but my dad doesn't like the whole security aspect of buying over the internet... I'll find a way though, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria
I love the movies. You really have to take them for what they are and not expect incredible cinema. They are well made though.
I don't like how the Red Hot Chili Peppers are the theme song for the movies. It doesn't fit at all.
Oh no, I wasn't expecting them to be great, but it seems cool, the idea of it being acted out and stuff. The story would be enough to keep me interested, even if it's not particularly well-acted or something. And yeah, nothing against RHCP but it's definitely a stupid theme song for it.

Old November 15th, 2008, 11:02 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

The movie had Red Hot Chili Peppers music? How did I miss that? I've only seen the original Deathnote movies subbed last year sometime...so maybe the music is different from its dub?

Old November 15th, 2008, 1:36 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
The movie had Red Hot Chili Peppers music? How did I miss that? I've only seen the original Deathnote movies subbed last year sometime...so maybe the music is different from its dub?
I wouldn't have thought so, it's the credit music for both films.

Old November 16th, 2008, 12:57 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I was so busy focusing on the actual contents of the movie, I somehow missed out on the music. ><;

Old December 5th, 2008, 3:03 am
First Year

I've seen all three movies, and I enjoyed them all. The actor playing L was fabulous!

Quote:
I went to them dressed as L. My friends say I'm like him, so we thought it would be fun to dress up

Old December 5th, 2008, 3:18 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
I agree with SS_Jup81 about the Yotsuba arc. I kind of felt like it didn't really take things anywhere... I was glad when it ended.

I suppose I was the only one that didn't like Near and Mello that much. It's just because L was such a great character that no one would have been able to compare with him, in my opinion, though I get how combined they would make up L... His death was so sad :'(

Your not the only one.
Mello and Near weren't even close to being as intelligent as L or Light. They only even won because of a combination of incredibly good luck and Mikami being an idiot and not following Light's plan. The ending really gives me the feeling that the creator just got bored with it and wanted to wrap things up quickly.

Old December 5th, 2008, 9:59 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchHunter View Post
Your not the only one.
Mello and Near weren't even close to being as intelligent as L or Light. They only even won because of a combination of incredibly good luck and Mikami being an idiot and not following Light's plan. The ending really gives me the feeling that the creator just got bored with it and wanted to wrap things up quickly.
Not necessarily. As I pointed out in an earlier topic,
Near and Mello combined was pretty much L. Each had different traits that could be seen in L. I feel that some people are a bit harsh where their characters were concerned.

Old December 6th, 2008, 3:16 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
Not necessarily. As I pointed out in an earlier topic,
Near and Mello combined was pretty much L. Each had different traits that could be seen in L. I feel that some people are a bit harsh where their characters were concerned.
But even combined they weren't a match for Light. Mikami was more responsible for Near's victory then either Mello or Near himself, since Near had no idea that the Death Note he had was a fake, and wouldn't have found the real one if Mikami hadn't disobeyed Light's orders. Without that incredible stroke of luck Near, the SPK, and the Kira Task Force would have been killed. It's a bit disappointing that after an entire series based on a battle of wits, it all came down to good luck in the end.

Old December 8th, 2008, 4:14 pm
Registered Animagus

Just out of interest, has anybody been collecting the special edition dvds with the figurines? They cost a bit extra but I love them. The figures look great Just got Rem and she's awesome.

Old December 10th, 2008, 3:12 pm
Sixth Year

Wow, I only just found out there was a thread for Death Note

I loved it. It was the only anime aside from Rurouni Kenshin that I have watched in full. The characters develop realistically--some of you have mentioned not liking Light near the end, but that was the only way he could go. I felt that the ending was suitable for him.

I really regretted seeing him die--I'll admit, I was hoping he could find some way out of it. It was a real waste of the person he could have been. But Light had gotten to the point where he saw no one except himself, and it was appropriate that that would be his downfall. He was so confident that Mikami would just mindlessly obey him no matter what, he forgot that Mikami was still a person who could think on his own. Light's disregard of people as mere instruments bit him in the end.

The feud between L and Light should be taught in Literature classes as Conflict 101. It was beautifully built up, and you can see how these two are the perfect foil for one another. The way they went at each other was subtle and just brilliant.

I also enjoyed Mello--I really wish we'd gotten more of him. There seemed to be a lot of his personality was still untapped. Near got on my nerves a bit--he was trying to be L minus that certain charm
I guess he was kind of why I wanted Light to win in the end

"No trial, no error, no ability to conceptualize. Perfection would make us obsolete. Many magnificent things have been, and will continue to come into existence. And yet every last one of them will fall short of perfection's finish. Our function as men of science relies on their many shortcomings. Then, and only then, can we apply the fruits of our labor."--Mayuri Kurotsuchi, Bleach
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime