Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

Death Note Anime

Old May 18th, 2008, 10:46 am
Fourth Year

Re: Death Note Anime

I've seen all the series and it was the best anime ever! I agree that in the second season there are some parts which are a little boring, but I still loved it. Mainly because there was a certain amount of intelligence in the plot.
I haven't read the manga yet. I didn't like the movies at all, though.

My Dark Lord? Sorry I disturb you,
but Muggles have started catching up with us...

My Harry Potter fanart
My deviantart page
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2008, 8:51 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing_Blade View Post
I didn't like the movies at all, though.
Do you mean the live-action movie? I'm seeing that tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to it so I hope I'm not too disappointed.

Old May 21st, 2008, 11:21 pm
First Year

Methinks deathnote is soooo cool. Havent seen live action movie but think it'll be ok but not as good as the anime or manga

Last edited by Voldemort9; May 21st, 2008 at 11:23 pm.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 1:23 am

I saw the first live action movie last night. I really liked it. Of course it wasn't as good as the anime.

The one thing I didn't like, though, is that they didn't translate the text from newspaper headlines, text messages, etc. in the movie so you could only guess what they said.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:13 pm
Zonko's Employee

I liked it up to the point
Spoiler: show
where L died
which I think is the end of season 1, but that was before it was lisenced, I don't think I'd pay for it, at least not for the episode I haven't seen, except maybe I'd like to know what happens in the end

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Old July 9th, 2008, 4:12 am
Fourth Year

I don't want to spoil it, but does anyone else think the ending seemed rushed?
Light was completely out of character, panicking like that and getting himself shot. He probably could have gotten out of the warehouse without being caught, and then used the piece of the Death Note in his watch to kill everyone if he wrote small. It seems like the only reason he lost was that Ohba wanted to end the series as quickly as possible. But maybe I'm just biased, I always did side with Kira.

Old July 9th, 2008, 5:56 am
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

I've become intensely curious about Death Note on account of the live-action movie - saw a preview for it when I went to the midnight premiere of Indiana Jones. It seems like something I could really, really get into.

Also, there's an incredible fanvid on YouTube that I stumbled across, to the tune of Celldweller's 'The Last Firstborn.' I'd post a link, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to.

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:40 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchHunter View Post
I don't want to spoil it, but does anyone else think the ending seemed rushed?
Light was completely out of character, panicking like that and getting himself shot. He probably could have gotten out of the warehouse without being caught, and then used the piece of the Death Note in his watch to kill everyone if he wrote small. It seems like the only reason he lost was that Ohba wanted to end the series as quickly as possible. But maybe I'm just biased, I always did side with Kira.
I didn't find him out of character at all. For once, things weren't going his way and didn't know how to fully react to it and finally lost his cool. Raito's character isn't reckless and he always plans ahead. He's not very spontaneous at all. He wasn't able to predict the movements of Near. Anime wise, I just felt it was too melodramatic (especially with Mikami's part), but the manga I found okay in this regard.

Also...
I don't see how he would've gotten out of the warehouse with all of those witnesses and there was no way he would've been able to write down all those names on a small slip of paper. He also would have had to have memorized all of the names Mikami wrote down to wipe out Near and his team. There were too many people and not enough opportunity for him.

Maybe it is bias. I personally didn't agree with Kira's methods since I don't feel that any human should play god. Understand that he was just trying to create an ideal world free of criminals and such, but the problem is that it went to his head and got to the point where he felt he could do no wrong and that he was always right.
He contemplated killing off his own family, if it came to that, just to continue being Kira and to keep the Deathnote safe. These people are innocent. These people weren't criminals. They hadn't committed any crimes. He also killed off all of those FBI agents...innocent people. He was even planning on killing out Misa, who helped him. He was planning on killing Takada too, who shared his vision. This is why I disliked his way of thinking. The ends justify the means in his view, even though he became what he was trying to prevent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliope View Post
I've become intensely curious about Death Note on account of the live-action movie - saw a preview for it when I went to the midnight premiere of Indiana Jones. It seems like something I could really, really get into.
I'm going to assume that you never got the opportunity to watch the film. I know it was shown here in the states in May in select theatres. They dubbed it over. I'm more of a subtitle person myself where live-action is concerned.

That aside, the series is an interesting one, but the movies (there are two movies and one spin-off) are pretty different from the manga/anime (both of these were pretty close).
Quote:
Also, there's an incredible fanvid on YouTube that I stumbled across, to the tune of Celldweller's 'The Last Firstborn.' I'd post a link, but I'm not sure I'm allowed to.
You're allowed to, just as long as it's not offensive or anything like that.

Old July 9th, 2008, 5:16 pm
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

No, I haven't seen it - not planning on it actually, but it made me curious about the manga. I haven't read much, but as I said, the storyline is intriguing. (I favor subtitles to dubbing too; it's just not the same if you can't hear the real actors' voices.)

I think it's pretty innocuous - just cleverly edited clips from the anime. At least that's what I think it is, seeing as I've never seen the anime myself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZz76etm-yM
I found it because I just love that song.

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Old July 27th, 2008, 5:52 am
Registered Animagus

I bought the live action movies a couple of months ago (in Australia) as a double and they had subs. As far as I'm concerned, dubs are an insult to anime (and live action adapted from manga/anime). It's never as good. Ever.
As anybody watched Death Note with the American dubs? It's such a joke. I tried but Ryuk sounds ridiculous and Light is just... so wrong.

I liked the live action. Sure it wasn't exactly as the manga/anime is but it was still interesting. L was excellent as were the shinigami. Misa probbaly could have been more fangirly over Light like she is in the anime/manga though.

Old July 27th, 2008, 9:07 am
Fourth Year

There's a rumor going around that Vertigo Films is going to do a remake of the Death Note movies. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's at least halfway decent, but considering most of Hollywood's attempts to remake Asian movies I'm not going to get my hopes up. A couple weeks ago (before I heard this rumor, oddly enough) I was telling a friend about Death Note, and I described it as "the kind of storyline that Hollywood could never pull off." I'll mostly be interested to see how they can possible fit more gore into the movie. After all, as most American directors and moviegoers will tell you, if we don't see anyone's internal organs, it's just not worth watching. My bet is they'll do away with the heart attacks and throw in a few deaths that belong in the Final Destination movies.

Old July 27th, 2008, 6:23 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
There's a rumor going around that Vertigo Films is going to do a remake of the Death Note movies. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's at least halfway decent, but considering most of Hollywood's attempts to remake Asian movies I'm not going to get my hopes up. A couple weeks ago (before I heard this rumor, oddly enough) I was telling a friend about Death Note, and I described it as "the kind of storyline that Hollywood could never pull off." I'll mostly be interested to see how they can possible fit more gore into the movie. After all, as most American directors and moviegoers will tell you, if we don't see anyone's internal organs, it's just not worth watching. My bet is they'll do away with the heart attacks and throw in a few deaths that belong in the Final Destination movies.
It gets worse. There's going to be a remake of the awesome Japanese cult movie, Battle Royale (which incidentally stars the actor who plays Light in Death Note)... God have mercy on our souls...

Old July 29th, 2008, 11:27 pm
First Year

I enjoyed the anime & manga of Death Note.

Old August 5th, 2008, 8:10 am
Registered Animagus

Has anybody seen "L Change The World"? It doesn't come out here for about a month and I want to know if it's worth buying

Old September 4th, 2008, 7:34 pm
First Year

I'm reading the manga (not finished yet), and watched a few of the anime. I enjoyed both.

What is this live-action film? Is it out in the US?

Old September 5th, 2008, 6:23 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_one View Post
I'm reading the manga (not finished yet), and watched a few of the anime. I enjoyed both.

What is this live-action film? Is it out in the US?
There are three Deathnote movies...

The first one came out in Japan in June 2006, which is before the anime started, but after the manga finished over there. This movie covers pretty much up to the stuff dealing with Naomi's character and Ray Penbar of the FBI. Ironic how the actor playing him was Japanese, when the character was American. :P

The second movie, Deathnote: The Last Name, came out in Japan in November of 2006 (a little while after the anime debuted there), and it pretty much wraps up the rest of the story with L vs Raito and all.

The third movie, which is technically a spin-off, is called, Deathnote: L Change the World. I can't explain the plot to this without spoiling the manga since,
L didn't die like he did for the manga.

That aside, the first movie was dubbed and brought over earlier this year, and was shown in select theatres for like two or three days. The second movie is being dubbed and brought over as well this October to select theatres again for only a couple of days. You can probably google it or see if any theatre will be showing it. I think it's for the 15th.

Old September 7th, 2008, 6:43 am
First Year

I tried watching the live action movies for Death Note but I couldn't really get into the first one. I'm not sure why, maybe because they're quite different from the anime. They did a good job with how the characters looked though.

Old October 24th, 2008, 10:41 pm

I saw Death Note: The Last Name and thought it was excellent. I enjoyed it more than the first one. The people in the audience seemed to really enjoy it, also. Some people cam dressed up as the characters and it was fun to see that. They also gave away movie posters at the event. After the film they showed a segment on the making of it. That was fun to watch.

I own Death Note: L Change the World but haven't watched it yet. Maybe I'll do that this weekend. If you are familiar with the story of Death Note: The Last Name, then you find out that
this is the story about L's last 23 days.

Old November 8th, 2008, 6:08 pm
First Year

That anime was very interesting but episodes after one of heroes died was bad.
And I don't like the end. It was so sad : (
Sorry for my English

Old November 12th, 2008, 12:51 pm
Sixth Year

A friend got me into the anime and I watched it obsessively for a couple of days on the internet (I'm impatient, plus I don't think it's available on DVD yet... when it is, though, I'll buy it)... in my opinion, it went a little downhill after:
the first L died. At first I liked Light and not L, then my opinions switched. I didn't like Near or Mello nearly as much as I did L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patryk View Post
And I don't like the end. It was so sad : (
I agree. It left me feeling kind of empty, because I like to know what happens to more than just the protagonist... I know that most of the time anime tends to leave things open, though. I liked Light for a while, so I was kind of sad about his death, but towards the end he was such a jerk that I didn't care as much.

"Don't get too friendly with him, though, Rosie. Granddad Weasley would never forgive you if you married a pure-blood."

Last edited by AmeliaPotter; November 12th, 2008 at 12:54 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime