The Bleach Dub is absolutely awful.

I'm no superman.
grarpirates
flickr
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2008, 11:04 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: Worst Anime Dubs

Oh, I forgot to mention that I finally caught an episode of Gravitation...a dub episode. Man....just like with Fushigi Yuugi, I wanted to stab my ears. Shuichi wasn't energetic and overly hyper sounding at all, not like in the original. I didn't watch much...I couldn't subject myself to it. Everyone just came across as extremely dull and boring! Shuichi sounded like someone loaded him up with a couple of pounds worth of Ritalin or something! At least I'd seen the series years ago, so it wasn't necessary for me to actually suffer...er, sit through its dub.

Old April 14th, 2008, 5:53 am
Second Year

Dragon Ball/Z/GT (newer FUNI dub): I'm not a huge fan of the newer Dub for Dragon Ball Z. I've never been a fan of Sean Schemmel for Goku, his voice is creepy. I know that the older Dub done by Ocean Group has many inaccuracies in the audio, but the voices are much better. Brian Drummond (especially) and Scott McNeil were awesome for their roles (Vegeta and Piccolo) as well as Ian Corlett for Goku. There are only several VAs for the FUNI dub who I like better then the ones chosen for the Ocean Dub, Rager for Mr Satan (Hercule) was a very good choice, the actor who did Android 19, and whoever did Yajirobi are the only people who I seem to have liked.

Naruto: I simply hate this Dub, one of the worst I've seen in a while. However, even without the Dub, There are only several anime scenes that actually live up to or make a bigger impact on the audience than the manga. The Manga is much better then the anime anyway, therefore not much more has to be said.

Sailor Moon: Not too great, but not the worst I've seen.

I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?
Old September 18th, 2008, 2:37 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Cardcaptor Sakura was a fantastic series that got turned into IMO an absolute travesty of itself in English- Cardcaptors. They cut pretty much everything that they could out of the storyline (all the romantic relationships except the one between Sakura's parents), and the renaming makes me want to cringe every time I hear it.

Old September 18th, 2008, 11:50 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

I recently watched Uchuu No Stellvia and ordered the series because I liked it so much.

I cannot listen to the English dubs. I hate them. I first watched the series in Japanese with some fan subs, and it was excellent. In the English dub version almost all of the voices are just too...oh, goodness, I don't even know how to describe it. Characters that are supposed to be sixteen and seventeen sound like they are twelve. The only one it fits on is the actual twelve-year-old. It's overly dramatic and it misses a lot of the emphasis on bits that need it, or the emphasis is misplaced.
It makes me wonder if they just lock an actor in a room with a script and leave, then put it onto the show blind.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old September 19th, 2008, 2:09 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicant View Post
It makes me wonder if they just lock an actor in a room with a script and leave, then put it onto the show blind.
That is possibly the most accurate description of (most) English anime dubs I've ever heard! Particularly those of slightly older (pre-2000) series. It's especially sad because so much of the humour and fun of the shows gets lost in the dubbing process. But some shows have decent dubs (eg Noir, Fruits Basket ).

Old September 19th, 2008, 8:41 pm
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusilla View Post
That is possibly the most accurate description of (most) English anime dubs I've ever heard! Particularly those of slightly older (pre-2000) series. It's especially sad because so much of the humour and fun of the shows gets lost in the dubbing process. But some shows have decent dubs (eg Noir, Fruits Basket ).
Thanks! It really does seem like it sometimes, doesn't it?

And yes, I'll agree that sometimes there are good dubs. I watched one Episode of Elfen Lied with the English dub and really liked it. There was no high-pitched whining girl (where in the world do they find those, anyway?!? I swear I've never heard someone talk the way they have some of those actors talk for these dubs...) and everyone actually had inflections and intonations that not only went with what was going on but were believable as well.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old September 21st, 2008, 7:02 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
Shuichi sounded like someone loaded him up with a couple of pounds worth of Ritalin or something! At least I'd seen the series years ago, so it wasn't necessary for me to actually suffer...er, sit through its dub.
That is SO true! It's as if they thought Shuichi's energy would be offensive or something.

I happened to find the OVA on tv not too long ago, and the dub was still as wooden as ever - I would've thought they'd get better, but I was (SO) wrong....Luckily I had the good graces of seeing the series subbed way back when, but I'd only seen screenshots from the OVA (dominatrix Yuki anyone? -_~) and got curious.

And I like dubs! They just murdered this series u_u

You've got to make the effort, and love every moment of it
Old February 24th, 2009, 6:52 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusilla View Post
Cardcaptor Sakura was a fantastic series that got turned into IMO an absolute travesty of itself in English- Cardcaptors. They cut pretty much everything that they could out of the storyline (all the romantic relationships except the one between Sakura's parents), and the renaming makes me want to cringe every time I hear it.
WORD. God, it absolutely killed me. I mean, cutting out Yuki and Touya was expected (but still horribly depressing), but SAKURA AND SYAORAN? And the renamings? KILL, ANGELUS, KILL! Oh, and also, the voices make my skin itch. Not that Tomoyo's voice in Japanese didn't do the same, but still...

Old February 25th, 2009, 4:27 am
Second Year

The worst dubs in my life I´ve are the Gakuen Alice Academy and Naruto!!!!!!!I really hated those...that I preferred to watched it by subs

Proud Member of Gryffindor
Old February 25th, 2009, 6:27 am
She Who Walks Behind

I realized how bad the German DBZ dub is after rewatching the series. They show scenes from last episode in the beginning and translate it in a totally different way than the episode before. The voices are totally fine and all...no wait Vegeta's first voice was awful. They changed his voice actor later in the series. He sounded like a boy with too tight pants.

The End of the Dream.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 3:14 am
Third Year

I just had to turn off Sailor Moon within ten seconds, I found it tedious and badly acted!!

Old August 19th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Third Year

Well to teach it's own because I like the English dub of DBZ and Fruits Basket. I can watch either one.

I have to say Sailormoon and CardCaptor Sakura. I also can't watch The Slayers in dub either.

Old August 20th, 2009, 1:27 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyCane23049 View Post
Well to teach it's own because I like the English dub of DBZ and Fruits Basket. I can watch either one.

I have to say Sailormoon and CardCaptor Sakura. I also can't watch The Slayers in dub either.
You should post in this thread too. I'm curious as to what shows you would list for it. ^_^

Old August 20th, 2009, 2:42 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
You should post in this thread too. I'm curious as to what shows you would list for it. ^_^
How do you link threads? Anyway can you take a look at my post on the reccommendation's of anime thread.

I'm all over the place with my anime. I posted there this morining, thanks.

Old August 20th, 2009, 8:26 am
Registered Animagus

Worst for me would be Death Note (they showed it here late at night a while ago. I turned it on to see what language it was in) mostly ecause they got Ryuk so wrong. The others were off too but the Japanese Ryuk was perfect while the American actor just sounded ridiculous.
Other worst one would be Naruto. I think the American actor who does Naruto completely missed the point of the character and over-acts (even for Naruto) way too much. It could also be because I watched everything up to the first 20 or so episodes of Shippuuden in Japanese and so I was used to it, but it just sounded awful to me.
Also Bleach could be better but I think that's just because I see it as being SUCH an Asian series that the characters with American voice just looks and sounds wrong.

Old August 20th, 2009, 9:22 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyCane23049 View Post
How do you link threads? Anyway can you take a look at my post on the reccommendation's of anime thread.
Just type [url = *link location*]Text[/url]. Just close up the space between the url and = and don't use **]

For example, since you nentioned Detective Conan, I'm going to post in the Detective Conan Thread.

To link to it, I would put, [url = http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?p=4866554#post4866554]Detective Conan[/url]...minus the spaces.

Detective Conan

Old September 3rd, 2009, 8:12 pm
First Year

I really grew up on Pokemon, Sailor Moon, and Yu-Gi-Oh. i like the Yu-Gi-Oh dub, but Pokemon and Sailor Moon have HORRIBLE dubs. but probably the worst dub is either Naruto or Bleach. I'm still mad that they all sound the same in the english Naruto Shippuden. And in Bleach, Rukia sounds like she's 40 and Grimmjow sounds iike he's 10. I like things in Japanese much better.

Old October 28th, 2009, 11:13 pm
First Year

I think the German dub of Naruto it awful. They wanted to make it suitable for childen (why do they even try to make an anime like Naruto that is focussed on fighting or eventually killing suitable for children?)
They cut out everything related to violence. They used the word "beaten" instead of "killed", "murdered", or "dead". They turned blood into water, and cut out corpses.
There was so much cut out that it was impossible to understand what was going on, and the dialogues were just stupid and laughable sometimes.

Old March 28th, 2010, 7:38 am
First Year

The Cardcaptor Sakura dub was the worst for me.. I can kind of understand the renaming of some of the characters, but it still annoyed me so much. It had a really great story line in the original and they completely butchered it until it was barely recognisable anymore.

And I have to agree, the english voices were terrible! I was very happy when they didn't (to my recolection) dub the second movie, that would have been completely pointless since they cut out all the romantic relationships. That was a great movie.

R/Hr shipper, forever and always.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime