Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Magical Masterpieces

General ConCrit Thread For Graphics

Old January 15th, 2008, 2:59 pm
Zonko's Employee

Re: General ConCrit Thread For Graphics

Cathy,

Have you tried playing around with perspective at all? I don't know how GIMP works but I am in love with my Free Transform tool. Like say you have a cool crop (#6 is a good example) with your transform tool you could rotate the canvas slightly to give it a little movement, or angle it slightly forward. This could really help with your text until you get to load new fonts. Try going vertical with your fonts or going on the diagonal. If you have more than one word try going with different sizes for the words. Such as:

we will
we will
rock you

You have a really good eye for color, though. 3, 5, and six especially draw your eye.

Annie, not much to say about your first two. I voted for your Hermione/Harry entry. Someone said that Hermy was too far to the side, but if she was any more center you would't have been able to see Harry's face clearly. But since it does look ever so slightly off balance you might want to add a small font (since you don't have to follow the bae rules for the contest anymore)

I really like your Neville coloring but I agree that the font doesn't work. It looks too opaque. I think if you lost the torn edge look and made the font a more neon red it would tie it all together better.

Your lightning struck tower was perfect, imo.

Kala,

I agree with Cathy. You're an icon wizard! Your HP ones are great, but if I had one minor critisism (very minor) it's that, with the exception of #5, your other icons seem too small and a bit busy. I kind of had to squint to see what you were trying to get across.

Still working on my R/H icon. I'm trying to put what you guys said into practice.

Old January 16th, 2008, 5:08 am
Third Year

Kala_way, thank you for your comments. They're most helpful.

Also, found this comm for basic iconning techniques and such. I'm looking forward to using it. It's here.

Regards

Old January 16th, 2008, 5:37 am
Until the very end

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyWeasly View Post
On a completely unrelated note, I want to compliment you for making an icon out of the awesomeness that is Marc.

The stories we love best do live in us forever,
so whether you come back by page or by the big screen,
Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.

Old January 19th, 2008, 4:12 am
Third Year

I've got some time off coming soon and plan to play with tutorials and such (while I'm not out having fun). If you have a great tut you'd like to recommend, please do in reply to this or by owl. I use PSPXII, but don't mind playing with tuts for other programs.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Old January 19th, 2008, 4:29 am
Snape Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
I had one minor critisism (very minor) it's that, with the exception of #5, your other icons seem too small and a bit busy. I kind of had to squint to see what you were trying to get across.
thanks, I have a hard time doing simple icons they always look so plain to me. I need to force myself to not overdo it.

Old January 21st, 2008, 3:01 am
Master of Divination

Well, I've never really posted any of my graphics in here...so I thought that I should...this is what I was working on today...

(I think this is too dark, but I liked the silhouette.) (I know it's corny...but I had to do it :P)

(This was a request sig for somebody, so don't take it, not that anybody here would do that )

Old January 29th, 2008, 7:42 pm
Third Year

Not sure if this will fit here, but it can't hurt.

For all you gimp users, I found this while searching for images: http://docs.gimp.org/en/

I don't know how helpful it'll be.

I"m finally getting to some feedback. I don't know how helpful it'll be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitunen View Post
Well, I've never really posted any of my graphics in here...so I thought that I should...this is what I was working on today...

01 02 03 04
01. I like idea also. Needs some definition between the background mountains (?) and the forground harry and buckbeak (?) I'm not sure how this could be accomplished and maintain the silhouetted look. Silhouettes look good on a dissimilar background. I'm sorry I can't give any better feedback than this. 02. Nice icon, good coloring, too sharp. And, looks like there's a 2d space between Ya and So. Good use of text. 03. Good cropping, good use of text. Just a bit more blurry than works well for the icon. 04. All I can say here is tone down the red a bit. It overpowers the other colors which are nice. Might help if you cold bring the image down a bit instead of cropping off the hands. Never realized until I saw this how similar bent arms and legs can look if the feet/hands are not there. 05. Nice icon/banner. Really nice. A bit too heavy on the orange above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
And here's a couple of mine that I'd like some critique on.

1. 2. 3.
5. 6.
01 & 02 are nice b&w's. A bit over sharp. Someone shared w/me a technique of controling over sharpness vs over blurriness by adjusting the image in several stages as you bring it down in size. I really like 2 with the text and images; both the text and the images are over sharp. 03. This is so cute. I really liked it. Needs yellow though. I don't know if someone with matching baggage to mine would be the best of ideas. 05. I have nothing to say abt this other than I like it. A zoom in of fewer characters may be worth a try to see how you like it. 06. Another one I like really well with no for which I have no crit. It's a nice icon. 07. I thought it was Grinch instead of Grint?

Quote:
Getting skintones to match can be very tricky!

Here are a few of my recent ones:

1. 2. 3.
4. 5. 6.
01. I think the text is a bit overbold for the image. Maybe using colors found in the background for the text and then reducing the layer percentage. I like it otherwise and the graininess works well. 02. I the text might work better ina different color with some yellow in it. The white stands out too much. Maybe a white drop shadow with a 10+ blur (if you change the color of the text). 03. I liked this when I first saw it and was looking forward to commenting on it. I like the coloring of the text but perhaps reducing it to 75 or 80 for the layer. 04. I really like this too. Maybe pull the blue in a bit. It's interesting and different. The color of the blue text gets lost in the background of the icon. You may try playing with the text color. There are some greens (i think) in the right side of the face you may play with shades/hues of those colors. 05. Nice use of text. It would help the icon a lot if the face of the person were more discernable. Too much detail was lost (in the resize?). See comment above for Kala_way about controling the detail loss by resizing and adj in stages. 06. I have no idea who this person is, but I liked the icon instantly. I'd have used a diff color text. Maybe from the yellows on the left side.

TTFN

Edit: I use PSPXII so I my suggestions may not be the same for your software.

Last edited by annie_magus; January 29th, 2008 at 8:38 pm.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 2:12 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Magus
I thought it was Grinch instead of Grint?
Yeah - Iwasn't sure if that was deliberate or not

Thanks for all the criticism and ideas!
I've been reading a few tutorials and experimenting with new techniques and stuff. - I've also downloaded some more fonts at last! So I'm going to re-work these icons and re-post them at some point.

Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Pottermore name: FlightMoonstone199

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

My Fanfic - Snape's Happy Ending

Avatar by Ben when he was 5- he's now 13!
Old February 2nd, 2008, 4:09 pm
Snape Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_magus View Post
01 & 02 are nice b&w's. A bit over sharp. Someone shared w/me a technique of controling over sharpness vs over blurriness by adjusting the image in several stages as you bring it down in size. I really like 2 with the text and images; both the text and the images are over sharp. 03. This is so cute. I really liked it. Needs yellow though. I don't know if someone with matching baggage to mine would be the best of ideas. 05. I have nothing to say abt this other than I like it. A zoom in of fewer characters may be worth a try to see how you like it. 06. Another one I like really well with no for which I have no crit. It's a nice icon. 07. I thought it was Grinch instead of Grint?
Thanks for the concrit! For #1 it was kind of meant to be over sharp/high contrast. It was from a tutorial and meant to look "editorial" I guess. I don't know that I like how intense it is either. For 2, I've kind of given up on the sharpness/blurriness area I'll get concrit on one icon with some people saying it's too sharp and others saying it's too blurry, so I dunno thanks for the tip though! For #3, lol I never thought of that, I guess so huh For #7, I wasn't too sure of this one, I'd always wanted to do it, but I guess it wasn't very effective. It's Rupert Grint's face blended onto the Grinch's pic and hair made red so it would be more clear. I guess sarcastic icons aren't a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitunen View Post
1. 2. 3. 8.
1. I like it, but the silhouette would work better if it didn't blend into the mountains behind, maybe the next cap after this or something. I really like the idea though.
2. the spacing is really good and I like the font. The gradient seems a bit off though, maybe in a different shade or covering bits at the top as well, I'm not quite sure.
3. I love this one! The crop is great and I like the texture and coloring.
5. I love the idea and the text, but I think I would erase a bit of the contrast and coloring over the twin on the left, it's very heavy on his face and hair. Great sig though!

Old February 3rd, 2008, 4:19 am
Third Year

Quote:
Thanks for the concrit! For #1 it was kind of meant to be over sharp/high contrast. It was from a tutorial and meant to look "editorial" I guess. #7, I wasn't too sure of this one, I'd always wanted to do it, but I guess it wasn't very effective. It's Rupert Grint's face blended onto the Grinch's pic and hair made red so it would be more clear. I guess sarcastic icons aren't a good idea.
Oh, you're welcome. Now that you explained it, It makes more sense. Explaining 7 makes more sense too. I didn't see the movie so I didn't know what the original image looked like. It's a good idea. Only those who have knowledge of the subject would get the joke though :/ . I've been meaning for a long time (since I first saw them) the playing card ones (8?) are really nice. Where'd you find the images?

Quote:
Thanks for all the criticism and ideas!
You're welcome.

Regards

Old February 3rd, 2008, 4:59 am
Snape Lover

Quote:
I've been meaning for a long time (since I first saw them) the playing card ones (8?) are really nice. Where'd you find the images?
The playing cards? which?

Old February 4th, 2008, 4:47 pm
Third Year

Quote:
The playing cards? which?
Like the ones in your siggie or the ones below that are diamond shaped.

Regards

Old February 4th, 2008, 5:03 pm
Snape Lover

Quote:
Like the ones in your siggie or the ones below that are diamond shaped.
Ooh, they're not playing cards actually, they're panels from a fresco by Andrea Castagno that I maniped a bit so they'd look more like the founders.

Old February 12th, 2008, 6:31 pm
Until the very end

Quote:
06. I have no idea who this person is, but I liked the icon instantly. I'd have used a diff color text. Maybe from the yellows on the left side.
That's Marc Bolan, lead singer of T. Rex, a Glam Rock band from the seventies.

The stories we love best do live in us forever,
so whether you come back by page or by the big screen,
Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.

Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:20 am
Fourth Year

Oh do I feel very small here, but all of my graphics are off of my Word Document, so they aren't nearly as nice as the one's here, but they're all story banners too. Is that alright? All I've seen here are mostly avatars or icons.... I'll post them now and if it is not OK I'll delete the post . Please tear them apart if you must!

*My first ten, all Harry Potter related*

(this one was made for beki14 so don't use it unless you're a club member that reads her story . Kiiiiim!)

I have a few more Harry Potter related ones and then a few non related ones but I'll post those after these have been fully critiqued! .

Please check out my non-Harry Potter story Elmandoroth Chapter Two is finished.

Old March 1st, 2008, 6:41 pm
First Year

These are like nearly 2 years ago - But the most recent harry potter graphics ive made ( time goes so fast!)

Last edited by xnataliex; March 1st, 2008 at 6:43 pm.
Old March 1st, 2008, 6:49 pm
Rex's Mummy

Joni, I like your stuff, but I think for the most part, it's a bit too busy. Like #4. I really can't tell what exatcly it is supposed to be, or who it is supposed to be about. Less is often more. Also, the pictures are often very oddly resized. What I mean is that they are very squished to fit into the space. What program are you using?? Because most will resize things for you so that they come out nice and proportional from their original size to the smaller size. Lastly, a lot of the images are not very good quality. Where do you get your pictures from?? Because often, that makes a big difference.

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Old March 2nd, 2008, 1:50 am
Third Year

Don't know where else to post this.

Great places to get screen caps:

http://community.livejournal.com/cap_it/ (click on browse memories)
http://www.themadcapper.net/gallery/index.php (slow to load)

TTFN

Old March 17th, 2008, 8:26 am
Fourth Year

Kim, I do my graphics on GIMP now, but those were on word document and yeah, I don't care for them much now because I realize I can erase a lot of the little boxes now with GIMP. The pictures are just normal google pictures that had to suffer from my bad eye taste in what looks good with being squished. . Thanks for the tip!

Please check out my non-Harry Potter story Elmandoroth Chapter Two is finished.

Old March 17th, 2008, 7:55 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnypotter19 View Post
Kim, I do my graphics on GIMP now, but those were on word document and yeah, I don't care for them much now because I realize I can erase a lot of the little boxes now with GIMP. The pictures are just normal google pictures that had to suffer from my bad eye taste in what looks good with being squished. . Thanks for the tip!
I think another thing that could help you out is the art of cropping. Instead of taking the whole picture and resizing it think about what you like about the picture (Harry's eyes? Lily's hair? Snape's nose? ) and use only those bits in your art. Sometimes resizing loses the details. Now that you have gimp try working on contrast as well. Finally don't rush. I know some of us take nearly a week to work on one 100x100 icon... You have some really great ideas! Good Luck!