Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Magical Masterpieces

General ConCrit Thread For Graphics

Old November 12th, 2007, 6:03 pm
Snape Lover

Re: General ConCrit Thread For Graphics

The new one is certainly much better. It is a bit dark, maybe if you put a glow at top corner of the inset? Nice job though!

Old November 12th, 2007, 6:55 pm
Master of Divination

I also agree with everyone else...it's much better than the first one. I like the darkness, though it's a little pinkish on his face. Maybe a hue/saturation adjustment layer with the red setting turned down could change that, though it's not a huge problem. I agree with kala_way that a glow might benefit the icon as well. I like seeing how much everyone who's been around here for a while has improved.

Old November 12th, 2007, 9:46 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I agree with the dark comments, also, maybe make the insert include a little more of Harry's face and make it a bit bigger as well. You did a nice job on that picture.

Old November 13th, 2007, 1:41 pm
[user title]

This is one that I started for the graphics contest that I could not get right, so I gave up on it. I think it looks pretty good now although I am open to anything else you can suggest.

It is supposed to be "Good Kitty".

Old November 17th, 2007, 10:09 am
She Who Walks Behind

Story: What is that thing that comes out of his mouth? That looks like ... you don't want to know. It's absolutely unnecessary.
Otherwise, the greenish background doesn't fit the image, b/w is mostly the best solution, when you want to make something stand out. and the rays are too overpowering. You should try to make the colours more vivid.

When you state what program you are using people can give tips which effects and things you could try out.

The End of the Dream.
Old November 18th, 2007, 5:29 pm
Zonko's Employee

Ten, I believe that is supposed to be Scabbers tail...to fit the good kitty theme. Actually I like the rays but think the background plus the rays are too "busy" perhaps just a solid color?

I know that Story uses GIMP but I am a GIMP idiot so....

Old November 21st, 2007, 10:26 pm
[user title]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
Story: What is that thing that comes out of his mouth? That looks like ... you don't want to know. It's absolutely unnecessary.
Otherwise, the greenish background doesn't fit the image, b/w is mostly the best solution, when you want to make something stand out. and the rays are too overpowering. You should try to make the colours more vivid.

When you state what program you are using people can give tips which effects and things you could try out.
Thanks for the comments. It is indeed Scabbers' tail. I was actually trying to make it more like Crookshanks had come between Ron and Hermione and he did not eat the rat, even though he could have. Then I wanted him to be the focus.
I have since figured out how to use the line super nova as a cool background.

Rell told me how to do animation in GIMP. This is just an experiment. Hopefully I can do something better soon,

I know the size is 300x300, but I did not know how to check the pixel size, so just OWL me if it is too big and I will remove it.

Last edited by storyteller; November 22nd, 2007 at 4:47 am.
Old November 25th, 2007, 5:16 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Tiny text: I really struggle with tiny text. I kind of like it sometimes - but whenever I use it I have to have words that make sense. Here are a couple of icons I made recently using tiny text
001:
For people who need to know the text says "What deeper magic can there be, than the love of a family"

In this one the text says "Some people are just too sexy"

So comments please!

I've been putting all your previous advice into practice! I am quite pleased with this one:
003:

These 2 I'm not so sure about:
004:
005:

Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Pottermore name: FlightMoonstone199

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

My Fanfic - Snape's Happy Ending

Avatar by Ben when he was 5- he's now 13!
Old November 25th, 2007, 5:31 pm
Zonko's Employee

Cathy, I LOVE your Helena one! Great Job!

As to your Snape ones...this is just an opinion...what if you switched the text? THe sunshine quote would be better suited to the wand one (maybe with a soft golden glow instead of rays?) and the secrets one would be better suited to the expression on Snape's face in the second one. Snape's head looks a little mooshed though.

As a general shout out to the masses on the subject of tiny text...I, personally don't like it. I find it to be very limited in actual practice. THe point of tiny text is to make you wonder...to add a little mystery and wimsey...but to often it gets lost on most graphics that aren't really simple...which defies the whole purpose, imo.

Last edited by flimseycauldron; November 25th, 2007 at 5:36 pm.
Old November 25th, 2007, 6:14 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

1 - 3
I like your layouts, but for some reason, the graphics are coming out very grainy - it's possible that you're using pictures that are pretty low quality to start with, or that you're overusing tools like the burn tool. #3 is actually not nearly as grainy as the others, but I think that the background is slightly overwhelming - just tone it down a bit and it will be great.

Old November 25th, 2007, 6:47 pm
Until the very end

Cathy, I agree with Rell; the layouts and ideas for your icons are great, but the images come out a bit too grainy. Maybe you should try working with hi-res pics... Sometimes resizing a pic to make it smaller helps you improve its quality too

The stories we love best do live in us forever,
so whether you come back by page or by the big screen,
Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.

Old November 25th, 2007, 10:54 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Thanks for the comments!

Grainy images - With some it is the initail pic - like with #1 . With others though I think I just tweak the colour tools too much!
The background on #3 is a bit bright - I was trying lots of different backgrounds - that particular one is the "coffee beans" pattern with the contrast turned right up which is probably why the background looks grainy. I'll have to go and find a "red petals" pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron
As to your Snape ones...this is just an opinion...what if you switched the text? THe sunshine quote would be better suited to the wand one (maybe with a soft golden glow instead of rays?) and the secrets one would be better suited to the expression on Snape's face in the second one. Snape's head looks a little mooshed though.
That is a great idea - thanks flim! And yes I think his head got a bit mooshed - he was against a dark background and I must have got the cropping wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadineTink
Sometimes resizing a pic to make it smaller helps you improve its quality too
You know I always used to "collect" pics of a similar size to the icon I inended to make - now I go for the biggest I can find!

Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Pottermore name: FlightMoonstone199

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

My Fanfic - Snape's Happy Ending

Avatar by Ben when he was 5- he's now 13!
Old November 27th, 2007, 4:07 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyWeasly View Post
You know I always used to "collect" pics of a similar size to the icon I inended to make - now I go for the biggest I can find!
I really like mugglenet's pictures. For icons, unless I plan a specific crop I always download the thumbnail sizes for avatars. It makes resizing alot easier and keeps the image clearer.

I'm going to have to experiment with backgrounds, too. The text challenges are always so difficult for me because I'm not proficient with backgrounds and textures.

Old December 12th, 2007, 2:40 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Oh this is wonderful! A place to get constructive criticism and advice.

I've had similar problems as CathyWeasly with grainy images and text - small text is something I always have trouble with. It's so hard to make it legible - and all the fonts I love look terrible small.

I've been playing around with a snow globe using a glass ball tutorial I found for photoshop and Tenshi's wonderful tutorial for snow.

What do you think?

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old December 12th, 2007, 10:49 pm
Third Year

I've been looking for some crit on my work for awhile.
Below is some of my latest graphic work:

1. 2. 3. 4.

5. 6. 7. 8.

9. 10.

Old December 12th, 2007, 11:27 pm
Snape Lover

I like your stuff meesha, but you're right it always looks a bit grainy. I don't know why that is The glass bulb and snow is great, you did a good job, and that picture is too cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFluerDelacourx View Post
I've been looking for some crit on my work for awhile.
my faves are
5. 7. 10.
especially 10, really lovely!

It's hard to see the faded overlay on 1, though I like the idea. Maybe if you did it on an inset?
8 is very pretty, but it's a bit hard to tell what the picture is.
I really like 9, but maybe a bit of color or more contrast to set it off would be nice I think

Old December 12th, 2007, 11:47 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
I like your stuff meesha, but you're right it always looks a bit grainy. I don't know why that is The glass bulb and snow is great, you did a good job, and that picture is too cute!
Thanks. The glass ball was giving me fits because the edges kept coming out too sharp. I finally fixed that by beveling the edges - don't know why I didn't think of that before.

I don't know why so much of my stuff looks so grainy either. I always start with big images and work down to the size I want. I figure I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old December 14th, 2007, 8:40 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala_way View Post

my faves are
5. 7. 10.
especially 10, really lovely!

It's hard to see the faded overlay on 1, though I like the idea. Maybe if you did it on an inset?
8 is very pretty, but it's a bit hard to tell what the picture is.
I really like 9, but maybe a bit of color or more contrast to set it off would be nice I think
Thanks for the crit. I tend to go a bit crazy with the overlay sometimes so maybe I should not do that as much.
Those three have always been my favorites too, glad you like them.

Old December 15th, 2007, 1:09 am
Fourth Year

Hello guys, I've just made a batch of Hermione/Ron avatars, made from a blend of two images. I made different versions and would like to get some concrit on them.

Heron Avatars

I'm not too sure of them. I like the image itself, but I think some of these are too washed out.

Thanks for comments in advance!

EDIT:: If you are curious, the avatars were made from blending Hermione and Ron closer together from this image.

SHIP OF THE MOMENT:
Usako and Mamo-chan

Last edited by griffiegrrl; December 15th, 2007 at 1:13 am.
Old December 15th, 2007, 5:32 am
Rex's Mummy

Two things I've just finished with help from some amazing sites posted in Kimagine's thread, and my new font downloading skills. I'm really proud of them, and I think they're some of the best I've ever done, and am just wondering what others think. Thanks!!

This one actually has a border around it, on the top and left edges, but with the background color on the layout I'm using, it's very hard to see. Just so you know there really is something there if you can't see it either.

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Magical Masterpieces