Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

Anime Recommendations

Old December 4th, 2007, 8:22 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: Anime Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayashe View Post
Quote:
Fruits Basket: Loved it until they ended it. Worst ending I have seen in a long time. Why did they have to end it there?!
Because it wasn't necessarily supposed to be the ending, the people who were involved in it didn't want to make anymore.
Adding on, the manga hadn't finished yet either. I'm not sure where the manga was when they wrapped up the anime series where it did, though, but it probably wasn't enough to continue...at the time.

The same can be applied to Hunter x Hunter. The anime ended, but it was open-ended. The manga continues on from where the anime left off. That ending was terrible too, since the viewers never know if the person Gon and Killua meat at the end was Gon's father or not.
Spoiler: show
It wasn't his father...it was the hunter Gon met at the beginning of the series, which ends up going into the extremely drawn out Chimera Ant arc

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2008, 5:20 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinevere_wood View Post
ANYTHING by the great Miyazaki is fantastic.
Yes, he's a genius in his art. My favorite is "Spirited Away". Also liked "Princess Mononoke", and "Howl's Moving Castle".

....I miss David Tennant....
Old January 12th, 2008, 8:30 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Spirited Away is one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen...definitely a must-watch (preferably in Japanese with subtitles for those of us who don't know the language).
I definitely think Sailor Moon is a must-watch too, in Japanese. I won't go into my fangirlism for the show here..

Old January 17th, 2008, 11:33 pm
First Year

Howl's moving castle is pretty good. and of course I also think FullMetal Alchemist- Counqueror of Shamballa was great. I also liked Kiki's Delivery service.

Old January 21st, 2008, 3:19 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
I started watching Elfen Lied and I like it. It really good!

Another thing I watched months ago was Ayashi No Ceres. It's also quite good.
Ugh. I also think Elfen Lied is really good, but it shook me to my foundations. We can't really discuss it in a general forum setting, but I highly recommend the series to any adult who isn't afraid of exploring some darker themes.

Old February 8th, 2008, 9:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Sailor Moon and its ending arc, Sailor Stars (which I re-watched recently, and which Toei animation treats as a separate series) are must-watches for anyone who's into shojo anime. Though, to be fair, Sailor Moon Super S isn't really that good except towards the climax (and it has some funny episodes thrown in).
For films, more or less anything by Studio Ghibli is brilliant (Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbour Totoro, Nausicaa and of course - as I never get tired of repeating- Spirited Away). They're not the only good studio, but their work is a shining example of why 2D animation for film shouldn't die out, or make way for Shrek-style figures.

Old February 15th, 2008, 4:32 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

I'm currently watching and enjoying Samurai Champloo and DNAngel. I certainly recommend these two.

Old March 13th, 2008, 2:03 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by canismajoris View Post
Ugh. I also think Elfen Lied is really good, but it shook me to my foundations. We can't really discuss it in a general forum setting, but I highly recommend the series to any adult who isn't afraid of exploring some darker themes.
I had that for a bit but couldn't get it to play on my computer. It scared the boyfriend because he started enjoying the gore.

I like Bleach and liked DeathNote
Spoiler: show
until L died at least
although I didn't have a computer for ages and when I got back it had been licensed so I couldn't catch up I also like Forri Kurri (which I'm sure isn't spelt right), completly random and is about a boy who has a robot that grows out his head

I'm looking for something new right now if anyone has suggestions, I don't like Naruto, it annoys me. I tried to watch Blue Lagoon but the only download I could find was really bad quality and apparently it's quite hard to find. And I was thinking about trying Fruit's Basket

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Old March 13th, 2008, 2:07 am
She Who Walks Behind

FLCL don't ask me how to pronounce it though

Fruits Basket is definitely worth a try, but the anime ends in the middle of the story. You should get the manga to get to know the complete story.

And I can only recommend Last Exile if you like normal, no magical, no mecha or battle anime.

The End of the Dream.
Old March 13th, 2008, 7:42 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
Fruits Basket is definitely worth a try, but the anime ends in the middle of the story. You should get the manga to get to know the complete story.
Yeah, that's what irritated me. Try the manga if you want the whole story. I promise, it's enjoyable.

Recommendations:

Manga

Yu-Gi-Oh! is definitely worth a try. The manga is so much better than the show. It's way darker, and can't even be considered kid's stuff. People actually die in there.

W Juliet is very cute, and has a good story. I'd recommend it as a light read.

Trigun, for those that love the gunslinger Wild Wild West action with a touch of sci-fi. The art is absolutely fantastic, and the characters are very complex.

Anime

Hellsing, for vampire lovers who adore blood and gore. The anime is actually very good (I enjoyed it), and I've heard they're making a second one.

Ouran High School Host Club. It may seem like a bunch of random nonsense, but trust me, that random nonsense is addicting. It's cute, and I really enjoyed that.

Trinity Blood, for those that would like something similar to Hellsing (meaning "We want vampires" kind of people), but with considerably less blood.

And that's my two cents.

They can't just have Harry Potter stroll up to Umbridge and say, "Morning, old hag, mind if I have that Horcrux 'round your neck? Sorry to trouble you."
-what Harry could have done to save time at the Ministry

DH Movie(s) thread
Invece mi reap dolore, mai speranza

Proud Ravenclaw and Novelist/Critic

Old March 20th, 2008, 6:10 pm
First Year

Someone mentioned Hakkenden: The Legend of the Dog Warriors on an earlier post. Despite its graphic nature and inconsistent animation through out the 13 episode series, its a beautiful, symbolic adaptation of Japanese Legend set during the 15th century, before Europe had expanded its reach to the Far East. (otherwise before the time of Rouroni Kenshin or Champloo , but not necessarily before Inuyasha). Some funny bits about it are the use of japanese kanji for the word Inu in the characters birth names, which basically means wolf or dog.

The story follows the history of the 8 dog warriors who were born to Princess Fuse and her dog. A lot of heavy dark material similar in ways to Potter books, but rather following a group of adventurers that fight a great evil rather than the one boy that grows up to fight a great evil.

If you haven't seen it, its hard to get a solid copy, you may however choose to use an online rental place like netflix or blockbuster to watch it. (It was made in 93) Theres also a ridiculous live action version of the legend made in the 80's. Interesting history stuff

Also, I would recommend the movies:

Perfect Blue and Paprika by Satori Kon (tagline for paprika: "this is your brain on anime"
Miyazaki movies (most are good my favorites of course are Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, and Spirited Away),
Ninja Scroll is always good
Black+White
Vampire Hunterd D: Bloodlust - animation is gorgeous
the "Samurai X" movie adaptations of Rouroni Kenshin were actually great
Akira is so strenuous and unforgettable - like the trippy anime version of "The Outsiders"
Ghost in the Shell is always awesome

No one seemed to bother to write in FLCL fooly cooly fury cury, however you'd say it, that is hilarious, sad, satirical, and... abstract, maybe?
I grew up on Iria:the Zeiram Animation and Armitage III when they would show it on SciFi channel about 8 years ago...
-- something about strong female characters that appeals to my anime watching sensibility, well thats it!

Old March 21st, 2008, 6:17 am
Registered Animagus

I'm thinking about picking up Vampire Knight. Is it any good?

Old March 21st, 2008, 3:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherby View Post
I'm thinking about picking up Vampire Knight. Is it any good?
I think it's fantastic! It's only manga now but an anime is in the works. You also happened to ask at a time when my avatar and signature are from Vampire Knight. I change my avatar and signature often to reflect what I'm enjoying at the time.

Old March 28th, 2008, 9:08 pm
First Year

My favorite anime is FullMetal Alchemist, but Tactics, Inuyasha, Death Note, Bleach, and Naruto are pretty good ones too. (although i could live without Naruto)

Old April 11th, 2008, 8:58 pm
Banned

I think I might try watching animie for once. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old April 11th, 2008, 10:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
There are so many fantastic animes out there. Here are a few that I really love: Naruto, Death Note (if you are older), Fruits Basket, Rurouni Kenshin, and Cowboy Beebop. These are all different from each other so it is worth checking them all out and seeing what you like. And there are many more good ones mentioned in this thread. I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to check out!

Old April 12th, 2008, 12:32 am
I trusted Severus Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
It really depends on what you like in general. There are comedy anime, romance anime, robot anime, martial arts anime, horror anime, science fiction anime, fantasy anime, etc. etc. etc.

So, if you like romantic comedy, and watch Akira because it's an anime classic, you're probably not going to like it. If you are attracted to anime because of the mature storylines and graphic violence, then you're probably going to loathe Mao-chan and Hamtaro.

The Studio Ghibli movies are generally great stepping-off places for beginners to anime. My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Sky, Pom Poko, Kiki's Delivery Service, The Cat Returns, Whisper of the Heart and Porco Rosso are pretty good, mostly light-hearted stuff. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Princess Mononoke and Graveyard of the Fireflies are good ones with more mature content.

These are movies, though--there are plenty of anime films, and also plenty of excellent series. Half the fun of anime is finding the next series you really love. I just discovered Princess Tutu, and am enjoying it very much.

Last edited by Inkwolf; April 12th, 2008 at 12:37 am.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 1:09 pm
First Year

This is the anime I'm watching right now:

Chibi Vampire (Karin)

I'm currently on episode 9. It's a really good anime, though it isn't exactly like the manga, but that's okay. It's still really good.

Old May 6th, 2008, 8:24 pm
Second Year

i love sailormoon.... and NARUTO is really GREAT!!! also DETECTiVE SCHOOL Q... i will love anime until i get old and watch it with my future grandchildren..

Old May 6th, 2008, 8:32 pm

Here are some more I recommend.

Ones I Love...

Fullmetal Alchemist
Black Blood Brothers
Hellsing (& Hellsing Ultimate)

Ones that are Quite Entertaining...

Tsubasa
Full Metal Panic!
The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye