I trusted Severus Snape

Re: Anime Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeverusSnapeHBP View Post
Excel Saga: 26 eps
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinevere_wood View Post
Excel Saga is excellent, by the way.
Yay, finally some (in?)sanity! The last time I recommended Excel Saga at CoS, nobody agreed. (I've been hanging out at www.excelsagaforum.com a lot lately. That's how much I like it.)

I almost exclusively like comedy. Serious anime usually bores me, and fight scenes especially. Some exceptions are listed below, though.

Funniest stuff I've seen:
Excel Saga--Excel is the flunky of Lord Ilpalazzo, head of the evil (but tiny) organization attempting to take over Fukuoka City. They carry out insane missions through parodies of lots of anime genres. A few episodes are unsuitable for minors. (#26. And maybe a scene in #21, but it's sooo worth it.)

Azumanga Daioh--Day to day life of some very funny high school girls.

Galaxy Angel--Silly, fluffy squad of the intergalactic military, the mission of the Galaxy Angels is to study the Lost Technology. But since it's lost (and nobody knows what it is anyway) they spend their time finding lost cats, sorting garbage, or whatever else is ordered of them.

Fruits Basket--has its own thread. Orphaned Tohru Honda camps out while temporarily homeless, and is taken in by a family of bishounen with a very strange curse. Laughs, tears, and a generally cuddly atmosphere.

Tsukikage Ran, Carried by the Wind--Female samurai Ran is unwillingly joined on her travels by the annoying and nit-witted Meow of the Iron Cat Fist. Together they fight to help the oppressed people they meet along the way.

Read Or Die (R.O.D.)--In the OVA, Yomiko Readman is a fanatical book lover/secret agent who has a strange power over paper. The fight scenes are total paper-slinging coolness. It's followed up by R.O.D. the TV, in which Yomiko has disappeared,and three other paper masters end up acting as bodyguards for an old friend of hers. The only thing that drags Read Or Die down is their cheesy Saturday-Morning-Cartoon villains.

Naruto--I really didn't think I'd like this series....but I'm enjoying it.
---------------------------

Darker stuff

Paranoia Agent--really dark humor, and not suitable for younger audiences...but very cool.

Hellsing--I finally watched this, and loved it. The only problem is that the series was made when the manga was unfinished, so the second half was made up and isn;t as good. I hear from some sources that Hellsing Ultimate sticks to the actual manga...while other sources say that most of the story and character development has been dumped in favor of grislier and gorier and longer fight scenes. In any case, it's all about Alucard, one of the most fun characters I've come across in a while.

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2007, 3:35 pm
Third Year

My turn to make a recommendation!

I used to watch a little bit of Helsing, but I never really got that into it. As far as those kinds of vampires go.

And then I started up with Trinity Blood.

Oh. My. God.

It is amazing.

They can't just have Harry Potter stroll up to Umbridge and say, "Morning, old hag, mind if I have that Horcrux 'round your neck? Sorry to trouble you."
-what Harry could have done to save time at the Ministry

DH Movie(s) thread
Invece mi reap dolore, mai speranza

Proud Ravenclaw and Novelist/Critic

Old October 28th, 2007, 3:43 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I found a post I made on another board similar to this topic. Hope it helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ Jup81
Well, since you like random stuff like FLCL, why not check out the following...

Azumanga Daioh
Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai
Excel Saga
Puni Puni Poemi
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare Nochi Guu
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare Nochi Guu Deluxe
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare Nochi Guu FINAL (RPG ep was hilarious!)

Hmm, since you like stuff like Cowboy Bebop, maybe you could check out...

Noir
Gunsmith Cats (I really wish this was a full-length series instead of an OVA)
Black Cat (well, the manga; I heard the anime wasn't too good)
Outlaw Star

Old November 6th, 2007, 6:22 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by godrics hollow View Post
Lastly, Elfen Lied. This is one of the most AMAZING anime's i have ever seen. (this means something because i watch quite a bit of anime)
Thank you for the recommendation! Based on it I watched the series and absolutely loved it (as you may be able to tell from my current avatar and signature). The soundtrack is also excellent. Thanks again!

Also based on recommendations in this thread I have added a lot to my Netflix list and I am enjoying it all!

Old November 8th, 2007, 8:41 pm
She Who Walks Behind

I started watching Elfen Lied and I like it. It really good!

Another thing I watched months ago was Ayashi No Ceres. It's also quite good.

The End of the Dream.
Old November 10th, 2007, 11:00 am
Fifth Year

Hey I really like Naruto and Bleach but you guys should watch Death Note it is really good 37 eps about a guy who is bored and discovers a book on which if you write someones name he dies. But then the plot develops and it turns into a battle of minds.

Power: A Collection An attempt at one shot fics. Latest Chapter The Trap

Get the daily news on the The Daily Prophet or read past articles in the Daily Prophet Archives

Old November 12th, 2007, 4:50 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugglewizard View Post
Hey I really like Naruto and Bleach but you guys should watch Death Note it is really good 37 eps about a guy who is bored and discovers a book on which if you write someones name he dies. But then the plot develops and it turns into a battle of minds.
I was just about to suggest Death Note, I haven't seen enough of it to have an opinion, but I've heard quite a few good things about it. They've started it on Cartoon Network for Adult Swim. It's on at like 3 or 4 AM or something.

I think the most ironic part of it is that most of the mainstream animes are overrated:
*Dragon Ball Z (This one's actually not that overrated, because it's really fun to watch)
*Naruto (COMPLETELY overrated, you're much better off reading the manga)
*Bleach (This one's ok, but it's mostly hype)
*Inuyasha (I hate this one, the only characters I like are Sesshomaru and Rin)

Wolf's Rain is one of the best animes I've ever seen.
Ghost in the Shell is a pretty good one too.
Paranoia Agent (Really freaky, but cool!)
Fullmetal Alchemist (Not exactly my fave, but good none-the-less)

I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

Last edited by SeverusSnapeHBP; November 12th, 2007 at 4:56 pm.
Old November 12th, 2007, 6:04 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeverusSnapeHBP View Post
I was just about to suggest Death Note, I haven't seen enough of it to have an opinion, but I've heard quite a few good things about it. They've started it on Cartoon Network for Adult Swim. It's on at like 3 or 4 AM or something.
It comes on Midnight on Saturdays here on Adult Swim. They even kept the orginal opening an ending, but I still wonder how they're going to do the second opening after...okay, never mind, can't mention that as that would be a major spoiler. As I was saying, for the second opening, I wonder how they're going to keep it. There's cussing in that opening.

That aside, Deathnote's anime is great! Very close to the manga. You can watch the anime and not feel like something was left out that you'd have to go back to the manga for. I've watched all of it already when it was still airing in Japan. The anime has no filler episodes, since the anime was put out after the 12-volume manga ended.

The two Deathnote movies were pretty cool too (which came out before the anime). They were both a bit different from what happened in the manga (which includes the sort of "non-death" of some characters), but still nice.

Quote:
*Dragon Ball Z (This one's actually not that overrated, because it's really fun to watch)
Sorry, I have to disagree with you here. IMO, Dragon Ball Z is highly over-rated. Dragon Ball, no, that's not over rated, and neither is GT, but Z, definitely.
Quote:
Bleach (This one's ok, but it's mostly hype)
Anime wise, I've grown bored of Bleach. I haven't watched the series regularly since early August. I have no idea what's happening with the series now. The last episode I saw was either 134 or 135. I seem to get bored easily of Bleach as it's gone on. I'm at the point now where I want it to hurry up and end, since I don't see what the point is anymore. At one point, I was liking this more than Naruto's anime...but now it's the other way around again. I've seemed to enjoy Naruto more, even with its filler episodes since their filler episodes were handled better, imo. The series never consisted of one, long tiresome filler arc...they were short-mini filler arcs that usually didn't last more than three or four episodes.
Quote:
I liked this up to a point. I got into the 100s years ago before the US did, and I just never went back to it. After hearing how it ended, I don't want to go back to it. This is the curse of starting an anime series before its manga ends.

Last edited by SSJ_Jup81; November 12th, 2007 at 9:40 pm.
Old November 12th, 2007, 9:36 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugglewizard
I just started watching this on Adult Swim, and so far it's one of the best anime I've seen in a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeverusSnapeHBP
*Naruto (COMPLETELY overrated, you're much better off reading the manga)
*Bleach (This one's ok, but it's mostly hype)
I actully think Naruto, Bleach and Inuyasha are pretty good, and DBZ isn't terrible. And from what I understand, DBZ was hacked to pieces when it aired in the US, so as not offend our delicate American sensibilities.

I forgot to mention it before, but The Slayers is a great show. It's a medieval fantasy, but it avoids the excessive cliches that you might expect from that genre.

Old November 13th, 2007, 2:50 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchHunter View Post
And from what I understand, DBZ was hacked to pieces when it aired in the US, so as not offend our delicate American sensibilities.
Not entirely true. When the FUNI's in-house VAs took up the project for release in the US, that was like taking a hacksaw to the series. But when Ocean Group did the original English dub for DBZ, they were actually quite good. Ocean actually dubbed 90% of DBZ (excluding late Freeza arc), however their full dub was only released in Canada and the UK. The US stopped showing their dub at the end of the Ginyu arc. I love Brian Drummond as Vegeta, way better then Chris Sabat in my opinion. And I nearly jumped out of my pants when I found out that Ocean were going to be the ones dubbing Death Note.

DBZ is actually quite overrated, however, Dragon Ball in contrast is quite underrated. GT is just plain terrible. Toriyama's manga pawns all the Dragon Ball series anime though, as most mangas do. Very rarely do you find an anime that's just as good as it's manga predecessor. English Dub Naruto is terrible compared to it's original Japanese. I cry everytime when I watch episode 19 in Japanese, never cry when I watch the dub.

Full Metal Alchemist is a good one both in English and Japanese. Paranoia Agent is just totally f*cked up, acceptible in English as well.

I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?
Old November 13th, 2007, 6:49 pm
First Year

My personal favourite animes are Inuyasha, Love Hina, the Seikai Series, Elfen Lied, Rozen Maiden, Scrapped Princess, Bleach, and the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. All are good, and I would recommend any one of them, though in a different order, depending on your preferences.

Old November 14th, 2007, 8:45 am
Third Year

Overall Breakdown:

Naruto: Interesting. Not quite as overrated as many seem to believe. One of my favorite anime characters is in this one. Kabuto makes it SO worth it.

InuYasha: Good in the beginning, but it dragged itself around like a dead horse the rest of the way. Sesshy is the awesomeness, but other than that, not worth watching anymore.

FullMetal Alchemist: Great story, awesome characters, proper amount of fighting, blood and gore, romance, and blowing things up. This is in my Top Ten Animes.

Gundam: 0079? Awesome. 0080? Great. Wing? Absolutely excellent. G Gundam? Awful. Seed? Not bothering to watch it.

Big O: The biggest rip off of Gundam I have ever had the misfortune to come across. I despise this anime.

Trinity Blood: Vampires, fantastic story, and with just the right amount of gore (as opposed to Hellsing, which had a bit too much).

Ouran High School: Random stuff just happens 24/7 here. It's so random it's addicting.

Fruits Basket: Loved it until they ended it. Worst ending I have seen in a long time. Why did they have to end it there?!

Trigun: Love the manga, hate the anime. Vash's voice and character portrayal do NOT fit him.

They can't just have Harry Potter stroll up to Umbridge and say, "Morning, old hag, mind if I have that Horcrux 'round your neck? Sorry to trouble you."

DH Movie(s) thread

Old November 14th, 2007, 9:37 pm
Third Year

"5 centimeters per second"

coming to the US in dvd in december

It's a set of 3 short films about the relationship between a boy and a girl.....
Sounds simple doesn't it?

All i'll say is that i havn't cried so much in a long time (and that includes anime,movies,books etc)
It also has some really beatiful art

here's a link to the trailer:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SDBH4xCE9ys

Old November 14th, 2007, 11:19 pm
She Who Walks Behind

That looks like an awesome anime. I am definitely going to watch it.

The End of the Dream.
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:46 am
First Year

try to wtch alice academy/gakuen alice n the law of ueki...
i really enjoyed that two

Old November 15th, 2007, 4:05 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis_Fowl_2 View Post
Thank you for the recommendation! Based on it I watched the series and absolutely loved it (as you may be able to tell from my current avatar and signature). The soundtrack is also excellent. Thanks again!

Also based on recommendations in this thread I have added a lot to my Netflix list and I am enjoying it all!
glad to know i was able to give you a few hours of quality anime enjoyment...

hmm i might need to dig down deep and find some of the really really classic quality animes to recomend to people... i wish i had time to go through and recall some of the better ones lol

Old November 20th, 2007, 12:59 am
Third Year

Anyone remember some of the REAL classics, like Speed Racer? Akira is good stuff, too.

DH Movie(s) thread

Old November 25th, 2007, 2:05 am
Second Year

For shows, Naruto and Death Note are for me.
I don't really watch anime movies, but out of the ones I have watched, Princess Mononoke is great.

Old December 1st, 2007, 1:38 am
Third Year

ANYTHING by the great Miyazaki is fantastic.

DH Movie(s) thread

Old December 3rd, 2007, 5:48 am
First Year

1 Gunslinger Girl - Drama/Sci-Fi, Very intense and like I said dramatic
2 School Rumble - Romantic Comedy, Both SR and NG are hilarious, I wish they'd make more
3 Fruits Basket - Romance/Drama, with a lot of humor and lovable characters

Quote:
Fruits Basket: Loved it until they ended it. Worst ending I have seen in a long time. Why did they have to end it there?!
Because it wasn't necessarily supposed to be the ending, the people who were involved in it didn't want to make anymore. Like with a lot of animes it just wasn't continued, there was supposed to be a third season of School Rumble and one hasn't come out yet, and none probably will. It took around three years for a second season of Gunslinger Girl. It's unfortunate but these things just happen.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime