Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

Anime Recommendations

Old October 6th, 2007, 1:45 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Anime Recommendations

The title says it, recommend anime and help people out from their misery of not knowing what to watch next.

I just started with Last Exile. I ... wow ... probably best series I ever watched. Great animations, great plot. Just perfect.

And one of the movies I could watch over and over again is Jin Roh. I like it how they brought together a children story and war.

The End of the Dream.
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2007, 7:36 am
Registered Animagus

Re: Anime Recommendations

I have three favourite Anime series. Naruto, Hellsing Ultimate and Devil May Cry. If you're into graphically great fight/action scenes go for Devil May Cry. The plot isnt TOO hard to follow (but I reckon its best to watch from the beginning) and the imagry is amazing. Devil May Cry has a great use of colour and shadowing and looks great. Naruto is heaps of fun, funny, good action, good characters.

I also like Death Note anime but the manga is better IMO.

Old October 8th, 2007, 10:07 am
Third Year

So hard to choose...

I personally like FullMetal Alchemist, Trinity Blood, Naruto, Gundam Wing, and the Japanese version of Yu-Gi-Oh (the second series) dubbed.

For anime movies, I'd recommend Ninja Scroll (rated R), Howl's Moving Castle, Spriggan, and FullMetal Alchemist: The Conquerer of Shamballa.

Wolf Rain is pretty good, and Cowboy Bepop is a classic.

They can't just have Harry Potter stroll up to Umbridge and say, "Morning, old hag, mind if I have that Horcrux 'round your neck? Sorry to trouble you."
-what Harry could have done to save time at the Ministry

DH Movie(s) thread
Invece mi reap dolore, mai speranza

Proud Ravenclaw and Novelist/Critic

Old October 8th, 2007, 4:33 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinevere_wood View Post
Spriggan
I don't know many people who know Spriggan. I like it as well.

The End of the Dream.
Old October 8th, 2007, 4:49 pm
Fourth Year

If you want a short but fairly good series look into Claymore. It has amazing potential up until episode 23 and then the last three episodes just completely ruin it. Still, it was a great watch while it lasted.

EPISODE TOTAL: 26

Next up, Samurai Champloo. A very humorous show, with some neat fight scenes. Lots of more mature themes so i do not endorse people under the age of at least 16 watching it.

EPISODE TOTAL: Still running (as far as i know.. i gave up following due to huge amounts of school.)

Lastly, Elfen Lied. This is one of the most AMAZING anime's i have ever seen. (this means something because i watch quite a bit of anime)

NOT RECOMMENDED FOR ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 18 OR ANYONE WHO CANNOT HANDLE VERY GROTESQUE SCENES.

The plot execution, drawings, music, everything was perfect...

EPISODE TOTAL: 13 with one extra

Old October 8th, 2007, 8:06 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

I really enjoyed Tenjho Tenge. It is too bad that it ended when it did because it leaves you wanting to learn more about the main characters and where they are going in life. It also has lots of fighting if you are like me and like that sort of stuff in your anime. This one is only for people 16 and older.

And s-Cry-ed is fantastic! Again, there is lots of fighting.

Old October 9th, 2007, 4:41 pm
Registered Animagus

Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke... if you haven't seen these, you are missing out! All made by the same company and creator... all Disney movies! Love em!

Ai Yori Aoshi is awesome as well! Full Metal Panic is rather good as well.

Old October 9th, 2007, 4:53 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
All made by the same company and creator... all Disney movies!
??????

Not to mention Grave of the Fireflies. Most awesome war movie ever. Also by Ghibli like the one above.

The End of the Dream.
Old October 9th, 2007, 5:02 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
??????

Not to mention Grave of the Fireflies. Most awesome war movie ever. Also by Ghibli like the one above.
Yes, the ones I mentioned were made by Studio Ghibli, I believe, but they were Disney movies... that is what I was saying.

Old October 9th, 2007, 5:33 pm
Banned

The Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, about a girl who happens to be a diety, though luckily she does not know about it.

Gantz A much better show then Elfin Lied which says a lot about the real world in a very brutal way. It is not for the young.

Haibani Renmei a very slow moving series that takes place in the afterlife. You'll either love or hate it.

Paprika Satoshi Kon movie, great.

All the Best,

Lunatic

Old October 9th, 2007, 9:19 pm
Third Year

Quote:
I don't know many people who know Spriggan. I like it as well.
Yes, Spriggan was very good. What I find disappointing is that no one knows about it, and it's a good movie. I asked someone the other day if they'd seen it. They hadn't even heard of it.

I also liked Akira (gotta love the classics) and Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade.

Quote:
??????
All of those movies (Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Princess Mononoke) were all created by Hayao Miyazaki.

They can't just have Harry Potter stroll up to Umbridge and say, "Morning, old hag, mind if I have that Horcrux 'round your neck? Sorry to trouble you."

DH Movie(s) thread

Old October 9th, 2007, 11:41 pm
Sixth Year

Mmm, let's see...

Noir (26 episodes on 7 volumes) - About two supremely skilled female assassins, one with amnesia, the other with haunting images from her bast, and their journey to unravel their past and present. Very good anime with an almost art-cinema type feel to it.

Gunslinger Girl (14 episodes on 3 volumes) - Another art-cinema type anime. Little girls turned into cyborgs and used as assassins by the government. Excellent storyline and engaging characters. My only gripe is it's too short (13 episodes).

Rahxephon (26 episodes on 7 volumes) - For me, what Eva should have been. The story is excellent and deep enough to keep a viewer thinking years afterwards. It's difficult to actually give a synopsis, as the story is so deep, but it's about a teenage boy who is humanity's only hope but doesn't really know who he is, or why he's fighting or even whose side he's on.

Ergo Proxy (23? episodes on 6 volumes) - Again, difficult to give a summary without giving anything away. It's very psychological, more so even than Rahxephon, and needs an open mind, but it's an original story and has one of the best lead characters of any story I've read or seen (incredibly powerful character, but the greatest dunce you've ever seen).

Last edited by LewsTherin; October 27th, 2007 at 8:48 am.
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:52 pm
Third Year

A recent movie i saw was "the girl who leapt through time" it's done by madhouse (though,even if i'm not sure,some staff members used to work at Studio Ghibli)

It had me laughing,crying....on the edge of my seat,it was a real rollercoaster.The backrouds are really wonderful.

here's some basic info:

"When 17-year-old Makoto Konno gains the ability to, quite literally, "leap" backwards through time, she immediately sets about improving her grades and preventing personal mishaps. However, she soon realises that changing the past isn't as simple as it seems, and eventually, will have to rely on her new powers to shape the future of her and her friends."

And since we're into madhouse there's a series currently airing that doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention but i really like it,it's "denno coil" (or "dennou coil",i've seen both used) Sure it is aimed at a young audience,but that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed by adults.

"Eleven years after the introduction of internet-connected, augmented reality eyeglasses and visors, Y?ko Okonogi moves with her family to Daikoku City, the technological center of the emerging half-virtual world. Y?ko joins her grandmother's "investigation agency" comprised of children equipped with virtual tools and powerful metatags. She quickly crosses paths with Y?ko Amasawa, an expert hacker of the virtual environment, as Amasawa relentlessly seeks to "unlock" the mystery of a computer virus that emerges from an inaccessible corrupted space.

(pictures and summaries taken from anime news network)

Last edited by j_rod; October 10th, 2007 at 11:24 am.
Old October 10th, 2007, 2:41 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewsTherin View Post
Rahxephon - For me, what Eva should have been. The story is excellent and deep enough to keep a viewer thinking years afterwards. It's difficult to actually give a synopsis, as the story is so deep, but it's about a boy who is humanity's only hope but doesn't really know who he is, or why he's fighting or even whose side he's on.
Sweet! Another Rahxephon fan!

DH Movie(s) thread

Old October 10th, 2007, 3:13 am
First Year

If anyone is looking for a good Samurai anime I suggest Samurai Deeper: Kyo. It really keeps you guessing.

Old October 10th, 2007, 4:08 am
Third Year

Hmm.

I've never heard of that one before. How long is it?

DH Movie(s) thread

Old October 10th, 2007, 9:59 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Yes, the ones I mentioned were made by Studio Ghibli, I believe, but they were Disney movies... that is what I was saying.
Disney merely localized the films. They had nothing to do with production (thus, most don't consider them Disney films). If anything they're known as Miyazaki films.

I believe in a hill called Mount Calvary.
Old October 11th, 2007, 4:16 am
Third Year

I also liked Advent Children.

DH Movie(s) thread

Old October 15th, 2007, 1:37 am
Second Year

Excel Saga: 26 eps

Paranoia Agent: 13 Eps (OMG, fuuuuuu**KKed up)

Cowboy Bebop: ??? eps

Dragon Ball/ Dragon Ball Z's a good starter one, my favorite one actually
# of eps: 291 (180 in DB)

I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?
Old October 15th, 2007, 3:15 pm
Third Year

Excel Saga is excellent, by the way.

DH Movie(s) thread

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime